Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

“Make haste, cousin!” Orpheus tugged at his left shoe whose laces had been tangled underneath him. Finally managing to pull the shoe over his foot, he hobbled out of the dressing room into Corin’s bedchamber.
Corin had been sat up in bed all afternoon, charting a new route for a recent business agreement he had made in India, and very skillfully ignoring Orpheus’ whining.
“We cannot be late to the first event of the season, Corin. If I have to dress you myself, I shall.” Orpheus teased, tossing Corin’s dress clothes onto the bed.
“It is far too early for dressing, and you are wrinkling my coat. Can you not entertain yourself outside of my bedchamber, cousin? Or do you live only to taunt my every waking moment?” Corin smiled a half-smile, closing the map as he peered up at his very excitable younger cousin.
“If you do not dress now, all the ladies of the ton will have their dance cards full by our arrival, I shall never wed, and I will indeed irrevocably taunt your every waking moment for all eternity. Now…” Orpheus took a calming breath and narrowed his eyes in Corin’s direction as he held up the untouched suit. “Will you dress, or will you be my bride this season?” Orpheus raised a brow, catching his breath after his ramble.
Corin rolled his eyes as he tossed his feet over the side of the bed.
“Fine. Enough jest. I will prepare to leave. Go finish primping and preening and leave me be.” Corin chuckled, taking the all black suit from Orpheus and moving to his dressing room. In truth, Corin would much prefer for Orpheus to stay unwed. Then, perhaps, the burden of being the eldest could be staved off by them both for yet another year.
However, Corin was aware that time was hardly on his side, and misfortune struck their family more often than not. If he did not wed and produce an heir soon, all of the efforts of his father and grandfather could be in vain.
Corin quickly pulled himself into his attire, adjusting his hair in a perfectly swept back style. He glanced down at his shoes, a brand new black leather pair, perfectly crafted to his size, and he smiled. ‘Perhaps she would be there tonight too.’ He thought. As he finished preparing, he glanced in the mirror.
It took little for Corin to achieve the kind of stand-out attractiveness most men, like Orpheus, desperately sought. Despite minimal effort in his appearance, it was Corin’s cool allure that seemed to pull people in.
“We will be on time, Orpheus. Have the footmen pull the carriage around. Let us depart before your nerves burst your inseam.” Corin smiled to himself, moving toward the entrance with Orpheus.
“Boys.” A deep voice bellowed from the depths of the main foyer. Orpheus’ father, Ezra, stood at the back of the hall, cast in shadow. “I expect brilliant matches. You are responsible for continuing our line and ensuring our successes. Do not mess this up.” He finished his statement as the staff opened the doors to the estate showcasing the opulent carriage pulled to the front steps.
Corin and Orpheus looked to one another, one whose face was alight with hope and excitement, the other drawn pale from the thought of attending the event at all. Both, in desperate need of a match, whether desired or not.
They entered the carriage, speaking little as they rode toward the Queen’s opening ball.
As they stepped out, Orpheus could not help the awed gasp at the sight of the decor and the lights of the party inside. Even Corin looked on in amazement. Despite his travels and wealth, he had often stayed away from the grand events of the upper class.
“Come…Corin, come!” Orpheus tugged on Corin’s sleeve, pulling him forward and effectively snapping Corin out of his dazed stare. Corin had not been prepared for events such as these, and despite his disinterest, his anxiety was palpable.
Corin and Orpheus entered, their eyes scanning the crowd of people that had already formed.
Corin’s landing on only one person in particular.
“Ilyas…” Corin breathed, a smile deceiving the distain he felt at attending. Corin had not seen Ilyas since he had left France. Their communications were inconsistent and brief. Corin had often wondered what became of him after he had left, but he had never imagined they would reunite here.
Ilyas seemed most enthralled in a conversation with a young woman Corin did not recognize. Not wanting to disrupt, Corin tried to stable his mind and headed toward a corner of the ballroom.
“Go, Orpheus, enjoy your time. I shall keep watch from here.” Corin said, shooing his younger cousin away. Corin was well aware of Orpheus’ excitement, and could not let his own fears taint his cousin’s joy. However, the music, lights, and crowd were already becoming overwhelming for Corin. As he made his way to the corner of the room, he pulled a small flask from his pocket and took a sip. At events such as this, Corin was well aware the only provisions provided were likely wines and champagnes, all of which Corin had sworn off years ago. Instead, he brought a Korean herbal tea in his flask, one hailed in the East for soothing nerves. Corin had hoped it would work tonight.
“I will check in with you soon!” Orpheus promised as he ran off across the ballroom. Corin knew that would likely not be the case, but he appreciated the sentiment. Corin stood, alone, sipping his tea and observing the very unfamiliar scene play out in front of him.
Orpheus on the other hand could not be more in his element. Happily glancing around the ballroom at the people he had known for some time, he was looking for one woman in particular to dance with this evening. And he had just found her.
“Lia!” Orpheus, called, maneuvering over to Aurelia and her sister. As he approached he saw a man. Not any man, but Harrison Davis. A notorious rake and devilish conman of hearts.
Orpheus stopped in his tracks, his fists clenching at his sides.
‘How dare he approach her? With such a nonchalant, faux-suave countenance. Vile.’ Orpheus thought, his blood rising to his face out of anger. It should be known that Orpheus would court her again this season, as he had the last, and he did not take kindly to competition of any sort. Especially, involving matters of the heart.
As quickly as he had called, Orpheus spun on his heels and moved the way he came.
Orpheus made his way to the corner Corin stood in, his blood boiling.
Corin looked on in confusion, the shift in his cousin’s disposition having shifted drastically in a matter of seconds.
“Is there an issue, cousin?” Corin attempted to stifle his laughter, trying to scan the crowd for the cause of Orpheus’ mood change.
“No.” Orpheus said, grabbing two glasses of champagne from the table behind Corin and quickly downing both glasses. “No issue.” Orpheus hissed, averting his eyes and trying to breathe.
Corin forced a smile and gave Orpheus a pat on the back. It was time to mentor, Corin supposed. Which was, in fact, the very reason Corin had agreed to stay for the season at all, to guide Orpheus along the right path.
“There are many men present more experienced in the ways of the ton, and women, than you and I, cousin. Do not take slight to friendly competition. You are valiant at heart.” Corin attempted to motivate him. “Besides,” Corin continued, “Any woman worthy of your arm will come in time. We have many an event ahead of us this season. Fret not.” Corin took another swig of his tea. “Find a lady to dance with. Whether she holds your gaze or not. Have fun this first night, Orpheus. You have been looking forward to this. Do not let such petty convictions stray you from finding your heart.” Corin finished his motivational speech, and it did, in fact, seem to stir Orpheus once again.
“You are most wise, cousin.” Orpheus smiled, giving Corin a pat in return. “I only wish you would heed your own advice and relish in the festivities yourself. I’ll be off.” Orpheus said, moving back into the crowd, and leaving Corin alone in the corner once more.

both approachable
mentioned:
Ilyas @Madilnel
Harrison @Kristi
Aurelia @benitz786

9 Likes

7b10f7d09884509a5e17f75671fd59d298c7c4ef_2_690x203

Augustus gracefully greeted the first light of day. His desire was to commence the morning by witnessing the majestic sunrise. Accompanied by a retinue of loyal hounds and his treasured journal, he upheld a cherished tradition that had its origins when his elder sisters made their debuts into society. During those times, there were three of them, united in this ritual. Today, however, the field was graced solely by his presence.

Marcella, now a bride with an heir and another on the way, had moved into a different phase of life. Elvina, regrettably, was no longer amongst the living. Augustus foresaw that when his younger brother embarked upon the world of society, he would introduce him to this venerable custom. Yet, for this morning, he yearned for solitude in the midst of tranquility, a rare departure from his accustomed realm of clamor.

Augustus, who had grown accustomed to the constant company of his five siblings and a multitude of cousins, found solace in this solitary reverie. With quill in hand, he meticulously inscribed his thoughts upon the vellum pages of his journal, poised to embark upon the day’s agenda.

He recognized that he still had some responsibilities to fulfill on the family estate today. Technically, he didn’t have to involve himself in the day-to-day operations of the farm; there were always plenty of hired hands and skilled workers to handle the toil. However, he found a sense of purpose and satisfaction in contributing. Augustus had witnessed the steadfast work ethic of his father and his grandfather. They were not the type to merely sit back and issue commands. Instead, they were actively engaged, sharing the burdens and responsibilities of the farm as their own. The Hatcherman held an unwavering commitment to the land and the livelihood it provided. And so, despite his elevated status and the privileges that came with it, Augustus willingly joined the labor, determined to honor his family’s legacy of understanding the value of hard work.

He was incredibly excited for today. To see everyone with wide smiles as the season began and of course to dance. He loved to dance. He was pretty confident in his skills too. He had been taught by his mom, sisters, and cousins. They wanted to make sure he was able to not step on any toes in any way. Dancing or by coming off rude. He would never think of such a thing. He was also cautious about others’ feelings.

The prospect of the day filled the boy with immense anticipation. It marked the beginning of a new season, a time when everyone’s spirits would be lifted, and the ton would come alive with joyous faces. But what excited him the most was the promise of dancing. Augustus had an ardent love for dance, and he carried a quiet confidence in his skills. His dance education was an affair conducted with meticulous care, overseen by his mother, sisters, and attentive cousins. Their aim was not only to refine his dance moves but also to instill in him the grace and tact of a true gentleman. They wanted to ensure that he glided through the ballroom without ever stepping on toes, either in the literal sense or through any unintended rudeness. Augustus held himself to a high standard of courtesy and consideration for others’ feelings. The notion of causing offense or discomfort was threatening to his character.

At the ball, Augustus mingled with some family friends, he couldn’t help but overhear the hushed conversations regarding who had been anointed the “Diamond of the Season.” A small, knowing smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he pondered what would happen if the roles were reversed, with men competing for that coveted title. Inwardly, he allowed himself a modest hope that perhaps he would have been among the contenders, though he bore no resentment should the honor fall to another gentleman.

In truth, Augustus recognized the significance of being chosen as the “Diamond.” Such a distinction implied not only the favor of society but also the admiration of the queen herself. A man who won the heart of the Diamond of the Season was unquestionably a victor in the eyes of all, for the Diamond was deemed virtually perfect, a paragon of grace, beauty, and charm. And who, indeed, would dare to dispute the queen’s judgment in such matters?

As Duke Jameson Ellis turned his attention toward Augustus and addressed him directly, a sense of duty and courtesy washed over the boy. The Duke requested that Augustus engage in conversation with Lydia, a young debutante experiencing her first season in society. With a subtle nod from his mother, a toothy grin, and a final adjustment to his tie, Augustus gracefully obliged. He recognized the importance of being friendly and making connections in the social circles of Regency society, not only for himself but also as a show of respect toward Lydia’s family, known for their more stringent customs. Augustus had been friends with Aurelia before her unfortunate injury and was pleased to hear she had returned to society. He made a mental note to congratulate her on her recovery while also being cautious not to inadvertently cross paths with her brother, Cassian.

With a characteristic hop in his stride and an ever-present air of happiness, Augustus made his way toward the young woman, Lady Lydia. His joyful disposition was contagious, and he couldn’t help but radiate warmth and friendliness as he approached her, despite the small squeak of his unbroken-in shoes with each step. Lydia’s beauty didn’t escape his notice, and he appreciated the delicate charm that seemed to envelop her, from her blushing smile to her petite stature. He likened her to a small mouse, in the most endearing way, but decided to keep that observation to himself, mindful of how it might be received.

As he drew nearer, Augustus greeted her with a sincere smile, his cheeks slightly flushed with anticipation. Lady Lydia, he began with polite deference, How are you this evening? His voice was warm and inviting. Can you believe it’s already the season? Time has a way of flying, doesn’t it? And speaking of time, the weather should be turning soon. Are you a fan of snow? He inquired, genuinely interested in her response and ready to engage in amiable conversation. He knew his sister would be yelling at him to stop rambling.
@novella

10 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

“Good evening to you as well ladies. I wish I would know your names as you seem to already know mine.” He believed them knowing his name was a bad sign, and as they asked to be pardoned he felt as if they were leaving to mock his family behind his back, but when they apologized for leaving him he was as galant as ever. “Of course, I won’t keep you if you’re needed elsewere.”

The remaining lady started talking and in her words she explained she was in fact absent before. "What a shame you weren’t here for the introduction for I’m sure you would’ve been picked for the diamond. In your absence the next best lady was picked..
She continued by saying she is here tonight and that she only needs to survive this night to which Bainbridge chuckled. "I’m sorry, it’s just those words are almost a replica of what my sister has been saying for days. We only need to survive the introduction, that’s the hardest part. He reminded himself that the night isn’t over, but Abigail has done her introduction and she did good enough. Considering she didn’t plan on marrying yet, he felt it wasn’t necessary for her to be perfect and he preffered the event to go this way anyways. The beautiful redhead spoke to him again.
“Is there anything I can do in the meantime to entertain you Sir Brantly?” He smiled. “Well, your name will do.” he noted how she holds all the cards in this interaction already having known his name and he still has yet to find out what hers is.

@Meekepeek - Joane

8 Likes

lyds

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

Against all her family’s wishes, the last thing Lydia Ophelia Ellis wanted was to become the diamond. To be the girl that the Queen declared most desirable, and likely to marry in that season. It’s not that Lydia was completely against marriage. When it was with the right person, whom she found on her own terms, and married in her own time - but that’s not the kind that her parents were picturing for her. For them it was whoever had the better status, and whoever could get it done the fastest. Therefore, being the diamond would make that job far easier for them - and that’s why Lydia had been dreading this day.

Placed in the middle of the line, Lydia watched around her at the visible anxiety on the other’s faces, with hopes to impress the Queen. On her shoulders there should be the weight of her Majesty’s opinion and her families expectations, instead her heart held a desire that lifted that. The only thing Lydia wanted was to hide that uncontrollable charm she had acquired from her sister, to present herself as indifferent as possible. Though Lydia couldn’t start yet, not when her mother was talking in her ear about how to act in every second of the next few moments. No, she had to start when it was too late to stop her.

When the moment had finally arrived, Lydia took no thought to the steps she took, the expression on her face nor the manner in which she bowed as her mother had told her to. “Your Majesty,” She announced, seemingly compliant - though to anyone watching closely, and there were few, was an undertone of nonchalance. A subtle display of disinterest that no fitting diamond would dare show the Queen.

The frown the Queen had given was almost as missable as Lydia’s attitude. But she didn’t miss it. Lydia had to compress her victory into just the smallest gleam in her eyes, that the Queen didn’t even give herself the chance of catching, as she had already turned to her sister. Even better.

With all the focus Lydia’s mother had demanded she give to this day, Lydia had hardly been able to acknowledge her sister, Aurelia. It was only this moment where she was being addressed by the Queen could Lydia let herself turn to her older sister. Her sister, role model, and influence on the beliefs she held. The beliefs that dictated her actions today. She had hoped Aurelia would understand her presentation today, if no one else did.

Just as they were about to leave, the Queen made it certain that she had picked up on Lydia’s demeanour through her final statement to her. The only loss Lydia felt with that was knowing she could no longer dismiss her parents concerns on her presentation as just ‘overthinking’ on their part - for now they had been verbally acknowledged, removing any ambiguity. But, she knew that had been a risk from the start, and it had been worth taking to see the rejecting look on the Queen’s face, a certainty that she wouldn’t be presented that title.

══✿══

Once the presentations commenced, Lydia took this time to finally converse with her sister - and to make a subtle escape from her mother’s inevitable wrath. The pair advanced across the ballroom, stopping with Aurelia when they had found a ‘safe’ space. Though it seemed Aurelia had engaged in the conversation with different intentions, “Whatever possessed your thoughts, sister?” She asked in similar distaste to what the Queen had shown her - however this one held a hint of concern too. “I never aspired to be the ‘coveted gem’ of the season,” Lydia fumbled her words in surprise at where this scolding had come from. Her parents, of course, her brother, maybe, but her sister? “This you must know?”

“You best be careful, as mother won’t take lightly to that,” Aurelia told her with a warning look. Of course Lydia had thought of that, and she knew what was coming. “Why dwell on things out of our control now?” She brushed off, trying to turn the conversation more towards what she had intended. “Why don’t we talk about how much you’ve missed your sister?” Lydia asked her, with hope that she responded agreeingly— “Almost as dearly as I have missed mine?” She continued, with an eagerness she could only shamelessly show to Aurelia.

Aurelia’s features softened, confirming a successful change in conversation tone. “Of course I have, Lydia, in the most unbearable manner,” She told her genuinely, lifting the only weight that had been on Lydia’s shoulders today. When Lydia had been told about Aurelia’s accident, all she wanted was to see her right away, but then she was sent on a retreat. Then even when Aurelia had returned, Lydia’s wishes to see her had been diminished by her parents insistence on Lia getting the rest she still needed. Today had been the first real day Lydia had been able to see her, and the smile on her face didn’t begin to express how she felt about that.

“I ask that you tell me everything I have been absent to witness, Dia,” Aurelia lightheartedly told her, as if a catch-up of the last year could be summarised in a short conversation. Though she had tried to keep her sister up to date through the method of writing letters, it was still difficult to share every detail as she had once been able to.

When Aurelia asked her this question now, all her mind went to was a certain memorable person she had met before Lia left. While it had just been a friendship with Atlas Delaney, over the last few months it had possibly developed into something else. Lydia had gotten to know all about him, how he possessed a spirit almost as free and adventurous as her own, and how he could provide a beacon of light even on her worst days of missing her sister and dealing with her parents. Their status remained mainly unspoken, but Lydia still couldn’t help being slightly hopeful for what the future held.

So with that thought in mind, Lydia turned excitedly to her awaiting sister - “You must tell me what you make of Lord Atlas,” Lydia told Aurelia. While she was certain about her feelings, the most important thing for Lydia was the approval of her sister. She trusted that her sister knew best.

“Lydia,” A third voice entered. She couldn’t escape her mother for too long. Here she was now, interrupting the conversation, ridding her of the excitement she had been displaying before. “While your shameful behaviour is most certainly to be addressed later,” She told her, in the familiar stern voice she always addressed them with. “There is an individual I wish for you to become acquainted with.” Though her wording would always make it sound like an offer, like there was a choice in the matter, Lydia knew better. She had done enough rebelling for one day, and complied with her wishes.

══✿══╡ dance 1 with augustus ╞══✿══

In comparison to some of the questionable and problematic suitors her parents had presented her in the past, Augustus Hatcherman was certainly more a breath of fresh air, Lydia must admit. As much as it pained her to be satisfying her parents by engaging, Lydia didn’t mind passing time with some meaningless conversation with this man. “Lord Augustus, pleasure to meet your acquaintance,” Lydia greeted. “I must apologise for the interruption to your evening caused by my father,” She lightly told him with a genuine smile when her parents were out of sight, addressing their highly orchestrated interaction. While it was no matter to her, Lydia would also take pity on the other person, who wound up in a conversation with someone less interested than most would be.

Regardless, Augustus continued their discussion, letting it direct towards the subject of weather, to which Lydia gave a smile of amusement at how it ended up on that. “I would say so, I think that strolls are certainly enhanced when they are taken amidst the snow. And you?” She responded, before trying to hide the sarcasm in her next remark, “Time does have a way of… moving forward, I must agree,” Lydia told him with a gleam of entertainment in her eyes. His efforts were admirable, and Lydia did appreciate them. “Tell me, what is your favourite time of the day?” She asked him.

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@Madilnel Augustus Hatcherman
@benitz786 Aurelia Ellis
@sunflowerjm Atlas Delaney mentioned

6 Likes

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇

~~Flourescent Adolescent
To most women, the dream, the most important day of their lives is their wedding day- white wedding gowns, white ribbons, a feast and then some weeks months or perhaps years later a babe to cradle. But Belle, Belle was among the women whose dreams precede such silly things. She had other dreams, better dreams, dreams of furthering her education, becoming an inventor or a fashion designer- after all who knows what type of outfits will suit women but a woman? She dreamt of helping being a spinster, living with Louis if she would have to because she was as attached as a baby to the mother’s womb when it came to the Fleur’s house.

Unfortunately, to Belle’s mother, such a dream- a dream of being a spinster was more of a nightmare. It was improper, her mother would say brushing her hair, for the daughter of a duchess who can trace ancestry to the royal line to be a spinster. Her mother was fine with her wanting to be educated, she loved her designs and embroidery and would often ask Belle to make her dresses so she can be the most fashionable in her older ladies parties. Her mother was fine with a lot of things, but Belle’s scandalous behavior? Belle dislike of marriage? Oh no, her mother was not fond of that. She despised it in fact, Belle was too carefree her mother would say, she should be more proper, like Josephine. The thing was though, Belle was not Josephine nor did she ever want to be.

Moreover, today Belle will make her debut in society in England. Why not France? Some might ask, after all, her family was French, she was French, and it would only be normal for her to debut in French society. All true, but due to relations between England and France being a little bit hectic, in order to strengthen relations, Belle was made to debut in England, especially since her mother thought that Belle’s dislike of marriage was due to the fact she founded the men in France, which was less than favorable. ‘England may have your type,’ her mother said, ‘a lot of diverse people are going to be there; you shall find a groom in England, and thus you shall debut in England,’ Such high hopes her mother had, high hopes for something that will never happen. Belle was bound to be a spinster as she liked.

No matter what her Mother or aunt wanted. She had no wish to be courted, the thought of someone having romantic feelings towards her, desiring her made her feel ill. She did not want to be perceived by such people in society, she did not want to find herself carrying a child of anyone, nor did she want to draw so much more attention to her that she would already have due to her parentage, so she was happy she was not a diamond, she knew that the queen would disapprove of the royal family of france delaying her parents so she was fortunate that happened. Though, it would lead to serious misunderstandings, Belle knew though that her parents would clear any misunderstandings.

Lady Adeline, her dear friend was such a good choice for a diamond in the meanwhile, she was everything Belle expected a diamond to be and Belle knew Adeline desired such silly things as marriage,
so the position suited her. Though, she could not help worrying about Atlas. She knew that Atlas would be less than pleased about the attention Atlas would get, simply because he was not the most fond of people. Having people in his household would be quite awkward, especially since he and Adeline did not talk much lately. Belle had tried pushing him into talking with her more, she was his sister after all no matter anything and Adeline was one of the kindest soul she had met, she deserved brotherly support, she needed it, especially since she had no sisters or any other brothers.

Her aunt began to go on a rant quietly so that only Belle and her family (her two brothers and Cousin Svet) ears could hear, while Svet searched for someone, for who Belle presumed Harrison. Such a shame, she still seemed as plagued by him as ever, and she knew that men like Harrison did not care. There was something, something deeply scandalous that her aunt said that made Belle’s gasp, the queen could not hear of course, because if she did then, it would be less than favorable for her ears. “Dearest aunt, one cannot but refrain from uttering such sentiments, for we are tasked with maintaining the serene tides of international accord between England and our cherished homeland. We, the illustrious Fleur family,” her aunt, once a French noble but now wedded to a German gentleman, and now belonging to a german duchy, “bear solemn responsibilities to the royal lineage of France. Here in England, we serve as their envoys, the progeny of the esteemed Duke and Duchess.” Belle was not only defending the queen from her aunt’s tongue because of that but because she agreed with the queen’s choice and saw it as quite favorable, as long as Belle was not the diamond, any pick was favorable, but Adeline was especially favorable. Belle was fond of the girl, a true friend and sure not as close as Louisa but close nonetheless. Belle wished she could be with Louisa at this time, but she could not as she had to debut, Louisa being older had debuted before, and it was now Belle’s turn.

“You should go and dance,” Her aunt said pushing Belle to the crowd while Belle shook her head and tried to not sigh out loud. See, Belle had already written fake names that her aunt had not seen in her dance card. So, no man shall ask her to dance but she knew that she had to dance at least once so her aunt could see that she had danced, so she went to the the most possible name she had written under her dance card, Lord Atlas, one of her dearest friend. He was currently talking with someone, though when the someone saw her they nodded their heads and left and Belle had the chance to speak with Atlas. “Lord Atlas, I have missed you” Belle said, extending her hand so Atlas could take it. “My aunt, she wishes for me to dance but I do not wish to dance, so shall you be a gentleman and help a friend out?” Belle asked, a smile on her face as she knew Atlas all to well and knew he would say yes, he was always so helpful, why couldn’t all men be like him? such a lovely friend, the woman he shall marry, as silly as marriage is, Belle thinks shall be the luckiest woman. “You know…” Belle began as Atlas took her hand and they danced, and she had a smile on her face, one she only showed those she was fond of. Most people thought of her as cold, as that was the reputation Belle wanted to keep people off, ‘a thorn among roses’ they would say, and how Belle liked that phrase about her, yes anything that would make her seem like an unsuitable marriage partner was perfect in her eyes and the expression was amusing and beautiful as it made her think of her black cat named Thorne. “Your sister, she got crowned diamond and she is the fairest lady in here but what do you think? She is your sister after all.” No matter how much he tries to push her away.

orp: @sunflowerjm - Atlas

mentioned:

@Ouijaloveletters - Louisa
@sunflowerjm - Adeline

6 Likes

drunken love

cigarettes after s*x

(it was hard to pick a good one. I’m short on time so here’s two songs lmao)

As Orpheus made his way through the crowd of faces he spotted his favorite of all the noble ladies, and from what he hears, the Queen’s favorite as well.
“Addie!” Orpheus tried not to squeal as he approached her. Refraining from hugging her, he knew their talk would have to be far removed from the public ear.
“We must speak later. As diamond-“ Orpheus dripped the word dramatically from his lips, “Your dance card must be expensive real estate, but do save me a dance, love.” Orpheus smiled, gingerly giving Adeline a kiss on the top of her hand before swirling away through the crowd again.
Although unsure of his exact direction, Orpheus was simply looking for someone to dance with. As his cousin stated, perhaps any woman would do. Even a woman he did not-
Orpheus stopped dead in his tracks, a familiar brush of dark blonde hair sweeping across his vision. His heartbeat quickened, and his palms grew sweaty, as he turned, he was met by the same piercing glare he had seen so many times before.
Only instead of in his bed, she was standing before him at the Queen’s ball, her gown as radiant as her fair complexion.
She was here as a guest.
Having already met eyes, Orpheus could not turn away, although his feet prevented him from moving an inch further.
Azucena Osuna stood before him, a woman he had not seen in some weeks after calling off their…visitations. A woman, he had thought, of low birth.
Slowly, Orpheus made his way over to her, taking a deep breath as he attempted to speak.
”Blue…” Orpheus started, his eyes searching hers. How was she here? Had she been invited? If that were the case then she would be a noble lady, and he would have defiled her through and through. The thought alone sent Orpheus into a panic.
“How are you-“ He could not bring himself to finish his sentence.
In all honesty, he was simply happy to see her.
Azucena and Orpheus had met in the summer prior to the start of the season. Having lost his brother and the woman he loved, Orpheus was in a vulnerable position. One night after a long drinking spell, Orpheus stumbled upon a woman who seemed in similar spirits.
After talking the whole night through with their shared scorned love stories and heart broken states, the two moved to an inn close to the bar where they spent the night together. What started as a one night fling turned into two nights, then three, until the two were meeting on a regular occasion to discuss their lives and relieve the stresses they were burdened with. Soon, a sort of friendship blossomed through bedsheets and burnt out cigarettes.
However, after it was announced that Aurelia would be rejoining this season, Orpheus had cut ties with Azucena to prevent any future heartbreak for either of them. Being a Duke, he needed a noble woman to marry, and she needed a man who would not break her heart like her last had. Orpheus could not promise her that.
Although, seeing her tonight made him question his decision. He had truly missed her company.
“You look lovely…” Orpheus, for once, was at a loss for words.

mentioned :
@raviola Azucena
@benitz786 Aurelia

7 Likes

She looked different.

Perhaps that was one of the many thoughts clouding her mind in recent days, trapped in her ivory tower. Normally, she wasn’t one to obsess over her appearance. At least, she thought she wasn’t. Or was she? Everything felt so very different now. Her body seemed foreign, yet strangely familiar. Currently, Aure found herself caught in an endless loop of yearning, a desperate need to rediscover herself amidst elusive memories. Fragments of ideas danced just beyond her mental grasp, slipping away every time she reached for them. And maybe… just maybe her reflection was the easiest thing for her broken mind to understand.

The notion on her mind at the moment was rather simple: she looked different. Older. Lost. Perhaps a little broken. It was disconcerting, almost unsettling, to witness someone staring back at her in the mirror, yet that person was entirely unrecognizable.

In Germany, where Aure could conveniently avoid confronting her reflection, life seemed simpler. Her handmaidens took care of her grooming, sparing her the sight of the stranger who stared back at her from the mirror, silently pleading for memories to return. Her focus was on her studies, and surprisingly, it was easier the second time around, even if her first attempt was now a hazy recollection.

Etiquette came naturally to her, as did dance, piano, and embroidery. Relearning German was a necessity, but it also jogged her memory of the French language. Horseback riding, however, was a different matter. Her family was adamant about keeping her away from horses, and Aure, partly in agreement, had no desire to repeat whatever had transpired during her fall from a horse, even if the details eluded her. She was making progress in Germany, and, truth be told, she would have preferred to stay there.

Though some days blurred into one another, following her recovery from a coma, she was adapting to society once more. Yet, this reentry was far easier than returning to a world that existed in her mind only as fragments. London was a familiar place inhabited by different people, people who remembered a version of her that felt foreign to Aurelia herself.

Nevertheless, duty beckoned, and as tradition demanded, she had returned. Her goal now was to secure a marriage that would compensate for the disappointing setback of the previous season. She yearned for it, needed it, craved a sense of purpose, something to reaffirm her identity. If that something meant embracing the role of the diamond she had once been chosen to be, then so be it.

For a mere second, Aure’s hand extended towards her reflection, but before it could make contact with the surface, her ivory tower was unlocked. Like clockwork, handmaidens streamed into the room, bustling with activity to help her prepare for the ball. Once more, Aure deliberately turned her back on the stranger who seemed to stare back at her from the looking glass.

It had been a long day, or perhaps even a long month, year? Time felt elusive to Aurelia as she stepped into the grand ballroom, her loyal maid close at hand. Unlike her siblings, she had traveled in a separate carriage, a decision made by her mother to limit mental excitement before the ball. In her carriage, it had been just her mother, her maid, and herself.

As she engaged in a fleeting conversation with her mother in the carriage, Aure couldn’t help but acknowledge the wisdom in her words. While she did attempt to defend her sister’s actions… as… disruptive as they were. Her mother’s "Hush now, Aurelia. Think of what is best for your sister, was enough to remind her of the truth of the situation. After the rather eventful introduction earlier in the day, it was clear that Aurelia needed to set an example for her younger sister, Lydia. She understood the gravity of the situation, knowing that her actions could influence Lydia’s prospects in the marriage market. Her mother’s counsel resonated deeply; in this world, marriage was the currency of social standing, and it was, after all, what Aure had always desired. A happy family of her own was her ultimate goal, and she hoped for the same for her beloved sister.

That’s precisely why, the moment she arrived at the event, Aure sought out her sister. Although she dearly missed her little sibling, the brief glimpses of Lydia she’d had in the past two days since her return to England made one thing clear: Lydia needed a serious conversation. One that they started to have - soon turning into a heartfelt talk about the two. She did, after all, miss Lydia in the most unbearable manner. The girl was everything to Aure, as was her brother - another individual she had yet to have a true conversation with.

As she nodded in response to her sister’s words, Aure caught a subtle glance from her mother who had joined the two, indicating that she should walk away, and Aure soon complied. She made her way toward the refreshments, all the while feeling the weight of curious gazes from the other guests. The rumors of her injury had clearly spread through the masses, and Aure couldn’t help but be aware of the watchful eyes upon her.

Aurelia couldn’t help but feel a subtle shock at the presence that had tapped her shoulder, although she made sure not to display it on her face. Such reactions were not considered ladylike, after all. Nevertheless, a faint hint of confusion did register in her expression as Lord Harrison spoke. “It’s been long,” he said, and Aurelia found herself pondering the meaning behind his words. It was clear he was referencing her absence from the season, but why was he speaking to her? Both of them were well aware of the longstanding animosity between their families, which dictated that they shouldn’t be conversing, especially not in public.

Lord Harrison’s statement, “I have completed what was asked of me,” only deepened Aurelia’s confusion. What had he completed, and who had requested it? Certainly not her. She had no desire to engage with a member of the Davis family, given the long-standing feud between their families. Despite her strong inclination to refuse the dance, she was acutely aware of the potential consequences of defying her family’s wishes. It simply wasn’t proper. Therefore, with a simple nod and an attempt to avoid causing a scene, Aurelia complied. She discreetly added Lord Harrison’s name to her dance card, marking him as her first dance partner for the evening, and followed him onto the dance floor.

However, it wasn’t long into the dance that Aure met his gaze and uttered her first words to him, her tone laced with formality and restraint “Lord Harrison, I must confess, I find myself perplexed by your decision to approach me in such a public manner. It appears there may be a misunderstanding, for our families, as you are surely aware, harbor a longstanding enmity. I must express my disapproval of your actions, which seem to disregard the potential consequences for my reputation, and by extension, your own.”

@Kristi

Mentioned:
@novella - Lydia
@Cerealkiller - Cassian (Briefly)

9 Likes

Time: 2 hours before the Queen’s ball

Bridget’s favorite violin practice

Bridget opened her eyes, and gently set her violin down on the stand. Her thoughts drifted to the Queen’s presentation earlier that day as she turned her head to feel the breeze gently dancing through the cracked open window, she had recalled hearing the announcement, feeling the swell of her chest as she had taken a deep breath and heard the powerful oak doors swing open as well as the hush that befell the crowd, all seeing eyes were on her. A gentle shiver ran down her spine as she could feel the stares of the entire ton watching, waiting to pass silent judgement, but of course only one person’s judgement mattered today, the Queen. Her body began to move rather gracefully forward as if on it’s own though her mind was unsure of where she was headed, she remembered her mother subtly whispering of what was directly in front of her even though her path remained clear as it had many times before, she was ever so grateful for continued assistance . As she passed through, She could smell the myriad of scents that flooded her nose from the perfume of the women and hear the ever so subtle whispers of the ton. She internally fought every natural instinct within her to turn her head and investigate every new scent or sound. Her face remained forward as she approached, counting the remaining paces left before she had to stop, in her head. Bridget’s right hand quivered slightly, yes, she was nervous why wouldn’t she be, the slightest provocation from the Queen could deem her an eligible match, or completely worthless…well, more than she already was anyway. She had stopped before the Queen and bowed her head, staying silent, unworthy in the presence of Her Majesty. It felt an eternity…no, much longer than that until her mother guided her along.

A sudden opening of her door and the subtle hug of a rather familiar scent filled her lungs snapped her from her recollection, rosewater & ivy, though a simple scent it held much meaning to her. A soft smile adorned her face “Good afternoon, Mother.” Bridget said without turning around, her eyes still staring blankly ahead upon the empty stand. Her mother smiled softly in return, “How do you manage to do that every single time someone enters the room?” Bridget giggled and simply shrugged, "I suppose it must be the soap one uses. Her mother shook her head, “As you know, the Queen’s ball is tonight, and I believe we have picked out a most exquisite dress that will go well with you.” Bridget stood up and faced her mother, smiling softly as she felt the fabric of the gown, “Though I cannot see, I choose to believe you would not lead me astray and have picked a most beautiful dress, indeed.”

~~~

Bridget took a deep breath, once more feeling her chest rise and fall. She didn’t know why she was so nervous, after all she knew the odds of a man willing to court her, much less dance with her given her…condition. She entered the ball, with her mother on her left and her elder brother, Edmund on her right. Come, dear sister, we must make our rounds. He escorted her around the room until he saw Lady Abigail approaching them. Bridget smiled softly upon smelling her favorite scented ivory soap, lavender. “Brother, may Abigail please escort me?” Edmund was silent for a moment before replying, "Very well, however I shall be but a moment away if you need me.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond ~ Abigail

(should anyone wish to converse with her in the meantime, I wouldn’t be opposed to it.)

Dress

6 Likes

Purple Sky Profile Header (2)
Piling a plate with desserts, Louisa couldn’t care less if people stared at her. She was made to come to this ball, so she figured she might as well have one glimmer of enjoyment by eating. Scanning the ballroom, she spotted her cousin Abigail, making her way over. At least she knew someone here, and wouldn’t have to hide in the corner like a ghost. Approaching her cousin, she spotted another young lady approaching. Louisa sighed softly, realizing the girl was the blind one her mother had told her about. Not that she would ever discriminate, she just didn’t feel like talking. Well, looks like she had to. Stopping in front of the girl, she made sure to make a bit of noise, so the blind girl could figure out where she was. “Hello. May I ask your name? My name is Louisa Brantley.” As she moved, her violet perfume wafted up. It was just enough to leave a pleasant smell, but not enough to assault the senses.
@Bluecookies - Bridget

6 Likes

Somehow Joane was pleased that the gentleman seemed friendly and gentle. He did do the usual sweettalk of calling her a diamond so she smiled. “you flatter me but I assure you that position would go to my dear sister Adeline. She is the calm and reserved one of us two.” she explained.
When he started laughing at her mumble, she felt a bit embarrassed that he heard and could feel her cheeks peek. With a small cough she spoke, “I’m sure, the first dance is where you give your first impression to the Queen, its no promanade through the park, I assure you” she explained and sighed. “All the more reason I don’t want to be here” she joked although there was a centre of truth in it.

It wasn’t until he pointed it out that Joane realized she had never introduced herself. " oh most certainly, apologies for not giving it sooner" she spoke and did another curtsey, however due to the haste of it, it wasn’t refined like her previous one and could better be described as a person trying to find balance on a slippery surface. “My name is Joane Claimond” she introduced herself. “Second daughter of Lord Claimond” she added.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond

5 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

I wouldn’t dare comment on your calmness or reserve since I don’t know a thing about it. I named you diamond only appearance wise becuase that is what I can observe and comment on. You mentioned your sister’s name is Adeline, would this be the Lady Adeline Grace Delaney? She seemed to have an impression on the Queen already.**

“I’m sure, the first dance is where you give your first impression to the Queen, its no promanade through the park, I assure you”
“No need to assure me of that, I already felt the immense anxiety caused by it’s approach. Between me and my sister I’m sure we would’ve both flubbed it weren’t if for our ever so calm aunt. She managed all this in the mids of planning a wedding for my cousin, can you imagine how many things she has on her plate?”
He watched as she curtsied before introducing herself. “Lord Claimond? A Marquess? That would make you a Marchioness. With such a high status as yourself, why curtsy in front of a plain non titled gentleman as myself?”

@Meekepeek - Joane

6 Likes

AbigailBrantley

As Abigail first entered the room she saw two of her friends already in her room, first she saw her cousin Louisa keeping to herself near the food supply, and her best friend Bridget close enough. She didn’t know if she should approach her best friend or her cousin first, since she wanted to always greet Bridget first but now she felt leaving her cousin to eat the food would prompt her aunt Clotilde to be angry with her. In order to help her cousin do as little as possible to please her mother, withouth pushing her out of her comfort zone which would mean pushing her into arms of unsuspecting gentlemen, she thought it would be a great idea to at least have Louisa converse with a few people knowing dancing is out of the option for her.

In that second Abigail started walking towards Bridget, in the middle of her strut she took her sister’s hand almost forecefully taking her along with her. “Cousin, your mother is displeased, but not to worry, I have a friend of mine who you could introduce yourself to in order to look better in your mother’s eyes and you might not have to be pushed to dance with somebody.” Abigail stopped in front of Bridget, knowing that despite her lack of sight Bridget already knew she was there becuase of her lavander scented soap, starting to speak
"Dear cousin, this is a very good friend of mine, Lady Beckham. Bridget I would like you to meet my cousin. She is an uprising businesswoman, or at least that’s how I view her.

@Bluecookies - Bridget

7 Likes

|928px;x371px;

Baylor had been up in Scotland for an investment over bigger parts for the off season, otherwise most of his time was spent preparing his sister for her debut in society. The way she had presented herself to the Queen so nervously, it had disappointed Baylor to some extent. While he would have liked her to have been the diamond, that did not matter most. He main worry was how this somewhat failed introduction in society would affect her changes. He knew he needed to see to her at least getting some attention from the gentlemen at the grand opening ball. In this moment however, he could not wait to speak to Lady Dorothea Addington. It had been weeks since they had last spoken, due to happenings and his other occupations. He always enjoyed spending time with her however, and he was looking forward to doing more of that over the course of the season, as he was now less distracted by everything else.
As soon as Baylor noticed her, he walked over and greeted her with a nod and words: “Lady Dorothea, it has been quite some time.” He noticed the stunning dress she was wearing as he gave a genuine smile. “Your choice of attire is exquisite this day, it complements your beauty wonderfully.” Baylor hoped giving a small compliment, would be something she liked to hear and boost her confidence for the ball. "I hope you and your family have been in good health and high spirits?” Usually these type of questions were mere formality, but Baylor had a genuine curiosity for the well-being of Dorothea’s parents, for he had often spoken to them and spent time with Dorothea in the Addington estate. More importantly however, he cared about Dorothea’s health and spirits.

@CerealKiller ~ Dorothea
@Littlefeets ~ Maisie mentioned

9 Likes

Emma Wycliff

(Banner in progress)

Emma watched as countless of girls were introduced to the Queen, how they all curtsied and presented themselves. Compared to how everyone else was dressed, she felt severly underdressed in her long, red, velvet dress.

Emma watched as the queen quickly exited and her stomach just dropped. Did she do something wrong? There were only a few girls left to introduce, her being one of them. For a second she considered introducing herself to the queen, but before she could even fully consider that, she was hustled into another room and another red dress was slid on her, a selection she had made a week prior since she felt she looked the most elegant wearing a red dress as it contrasted nicely with her skin and blonde hair.

Every second Emma was doing something. She barely got a chance to even see Edmund before she was brought into the ballroom filled with elegantly dressed women and men. Emma tried to stay with Emma, just so she could have some comfort amongst this party of confusion, but he was quickly swept away into the crowd.

Emma tried to walk around, to find some sort of space to just catch her breath for even a second in the buzzing ballroom. A servant walked past her and Emma took a step back, accidentally stepping on her dress and bumping into a person behind her. She turned around, her face extremely red with embarrassment.

“Pardon me, my Lord I-” Emma began, trying her best to regain her composure. Then the person she had bumped into turned around, and Emma’s face went even redder as she recognized who she had bumped into…Prince Magnus. “Your Majesty!” She gasped, fumbling into a courtsey in front of him.

“I’ll get out of your way right this instance!” How does one apologize to the Prince for calling him a lord, or for bumping into him no less?!

@CrazyCaliope - Prince Magnus
@Littlefeets - Edmund (mentioned)

8 Likes

╰┈➤ ◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪

London boy

He stared at her for a long time awaiting her response, and the smile on his face never leaving. She was pleasing to the eye as she usually was, she wore a dark green gown- That was her family color was it not? Yes, he had heard so though he did not hear much about the Ellis due to his mother’s harsh opinions on them and their family life. Too restrictive, too boring and their hypocrisy knows no bounds. Stay away from such vile family, his mother would say but Harrison, Harrison was not known for being a good obedient boy. He was responsible yes, but he was anything but obedient. Sometimes, it seemed that whenever he went, a scandal will follow and rumors will come, no matter how far of or close they were and at the end of it all, Harrison always managed to remain discreet, mysterious. Most people did not really know him, and he liked it that way, he liked the appeal of not being known, and liked hearing others opinions on him.

Harrison would always say, his reputation was as fast as light, it precedes him. It gave him stories, tales, though and he loved to hear the tales people make up about him. The myths, it made him seem like a novel character, fictional and non exist, can be portrayed in any way possible that pleases the eyes or does not. But all Harrison hoped, was that a little part of his real self as a reputation always remained, that he was a lover of the arts, of beauty, and he was not a cruel man. He was various of things, he agreed, perhaps a little bit mean- he was not a saint after all and never pretended to be, a man whose boldness knows no bounds, but cruel? He was not cruel? At least he hoped he was not. But maybe breaking hearts was considered cruel, though he did not do that with much intention, most of the time.

He did not like cruel people nor did he like to be cruel, so when Lady Aurelia had pretended she did know him, the smile in Harrison smile faltered for a moment, before it return. Aaah, she jested. Lady Aurelia liked to jest, she was simmply teasing him as he teased Lady Adeline, how cruel of her! Harrison jokingly thought. “You jest a lot my lady, but I do think we need to be more
serious, as this situation is serious”
He leaned down to whisper, “They miss you, they are asking when you shall be back.” He said, before standing straight as he looked all over the place. “People are beginning to look our way, Lady Ellis, so then shall we dance before we cause another scandal?” He had the confident smile he always had, forwarding a hand towards her for her to take. His eyes never left her’s as short and tiny as she was- and Harrison always found her height amusing, compared to his height that was often called godly or titanic, her height was that of a small pocket statue.

orp: @benitz786 -Aurelia

6 Likes

As Dorothea stepped into the brightly lit ballroom, her body began to stiffen, with the sudden flashback to her debut. Her previous (and first) season had been a remarkable success for the most part, or at least until a certain point.
Being called as the diamond of her season by no other than the Queen herself, the probabilities were infinite, but after dismissing the many suitors that came to court her, for the sake of marrying the son of her family friends of many years, James, who she had grown up as good friends. After all, it is known that if one wants to marry for love, they should marry their best friend. But life in fact wasn’t too supportive that the idea, and where was she now, standing in the middle of a ballroom, full of all the eligible suitors and debutants of the ton. This season was going to be dreadful.

If it was up to her, she wouldn’t have to endure this dreadful process again and drain herself in order of finding a husband, to fulfill her duty and continue the bloodline. And as an only child it was even harder, the entirety of the responsibility for the future generation rested solely on her shoulders. If it was her decision, she would wait a few years, live a little, study, travel, explore, but alas, she was a woman, so that wasn’t exactly in store for her.

Her attention was soon shifted at the presence of her friend Lord Baylor Rutherfeld, wearing a dark midnight blue suit that accentuated his better features ”Lord Baylor” she smiled gracefully as he came to greet her, nodding back in his direction. ”My choice of attire is usually rather adequate, or at least so I have been told” she responded with a graceful witty manner to her voice. ”But thank you for your kind words” she nodded as a light smile curled on her lips.

”my family is quite pleased, you know my mother adores balls and the opening ball might be one of her top three favorites at least, she had been expecting it for weeks now She added, glancing around until she spotted her mother, socializing and conversing with the rest of the thirsty mamas, observing the debutants and gossiping on the latest issue of Lady whistledown’s paper. ”have you noticed any potential prospects in this… oh so lovely ballroom? ” she asked, with a hint of sarcasm at the latter part. ”or maybe in Scotland?” she raised her brow playfully ”The Scottish charm… With that being said, how was Scotland? I want all the best of stories” she proceeded with a smile, genuinely curious about his recent trips

@Jass

7 Likes

Adeline Grace DelaneyAtlas Hayes Delaney

'Why, she was amazing; you should have seen it…’ ‘I mean, it is no surprise she is the diamond…’ ‘All eyes on her…’ ‘I’m sure Lord Delaney is proud…’

Adeline’s room was filled with maids, helping her get ready for the queen’s ball tonight. As much as Adeline loved their company, she was still trying to process the events of the hours before. Of course, she was excited to have been chosen as the queen’s diamond this year. This was her longtime dream; it was all she had worked for since she was of age, but now all she could think about was that everyone would be watching her every move tonight and for the rest of the season. With all these thoughts in her head, she started to feel a mix of nerves and anticipation building up inside her, and she began to silently panic before a soft voice that seemed to always calm her down and that she knew she needed most at that moment brought her back to reality. “My dear, are you alright?” Her mother, Amelia, said as she approached her and placed both her hands on her daughter’s shoulders. Adeline’s mother had always been a pillar of strength and support for her, and in that moment, her presence was a soothing balm for her anxious heart. “You look pale; do you perhaps need a moment-” Before she could even finish the question, she had made the decision to send away all the lady maids, leaving just the two of them alone in the room. “You know you can confide in me. I know all of this can be overwhelming, but it will be okay. Just remember, you have waited for this ever since you were a little girl.” Amelia said with a warm smile as she tried to reassure Adeline.“I promise I am okay, mother; it is just the nerves and excitement of today,” Adeline said, removing her mother’s hands from her shoulders and settling into her vanity chair. Adeline smiled at herself in the vanity mirror; she was also excited because she knew she would be dancing with someone she had been looking forward to dancing with tonight. She just knew tonight would be the beginning of something beautiful.“I must finish getting ready or else we will be late to the ball, and we cannot afford to make unfavorable impressions so early, dear mother.” Adeline exclaimed as she adorned herself with a delicate necklace that sparkled in the soft light of the room. She carefully adjusted her hair, ensuring every strand was perfectly in place. “Oh yes, we mustn’t be late!” Amelia said as she quickly rushed to her daughter’s side to help her finish getting ready, her mother stopped for a moment again as she quietly admired her daughter. “You are a gem, Adeline; you shall not worry about tonight as I am sure you will have lots of suitors waiting for you,” Amelia said as she touched up Adeline’s hair one last time.“Thank you, mother.” Adeline quietly said as she smiled at her mother through the reflection in the mirror, and that is when she noticed a tall figure standing at her bedroom door, watching the scene between her and her.

Atlas paced back and forth in his bedroom; he was dreading this day. He hardly wanted to get ready, but he had the constant reminder of his mother and father saying that he must be ready at once and not make Adeline late. He rolled his eyes in frustration, feeling the weight of their expectations on his shoulders, especially now that his dear little sister had been chosen as the diamond of the season. Despite his reluctance, he knew he had to keep his family’s name and reputation intact and reluctantly began to put on his suit. He sat for a moment before he heard footsteps approaching his room. “Are you ready, Atlas? We mustn’t be late!” He could hear his father’s, Eugene’s, loud voice approaching his bedroom. Atlas quickly stood up, and as he heard a knock on his door, he went to open it, revealing a forced smile as he saw his father. “Hello, father, come in.” Atlas opened the door wider to allow his father to enter the room. As Eugene stepped into the room, Atlas couldn’t help but notice the stern expression on his father’s face. He knew that this event was of utmost importance to their family, and he had no choice but to put on a facade of enthusiasm. “I apologize; your mother was hurrying me because she wanted me to check on you. You know how she gets about these things.” Eugene said as he fixed his suit in front of the mirror in front of him. He then turned to look at his son, who just stood there, not saying much. Atlas always thought he could hide whenever he felt upset or mad from his father, but Eugene had always been perceptive and could easily see through his son’s attempts at hiding his emotions. He approached Atlas with a gentle smile and said, “Son, I understand that you may not be thrilled about attending this event, but try to make light of it. Besides, aren’t you excited to meet a special lady tonight?” He teased, “Or perhaps Belle has finally crawled into that little heart of yours?” Atlas blushed at his father’s teasing but couldn’t help but smile. He had known Belle since they were both young children, and Atlas had always been struck by how unique and beautiful she was. Since they shared so many interests, it would make sense for them to be together. However, Atlas was aware of Belle’s feelings towards love and marriage, and so he shook his head and chuckled, saying, “Father, Belle, and I have always been great friends. It would feel odd to think of her in any other way.” Eugene nodded with understanding.“Okay, if not Belle, what do you say of Lady Lydia? Do you really believe I haven’t observed how tense you become when she is close by?” Atlas’s smile faded slightly as he considered his father’s words. Lydia was like a breath of fresh air; she was stunning, and despite the short amount of time he had spent with her, he feared he felt more than just a friendship with her. Lydia made Atlas feel known; he didn’t have to hide his adventurous or reckless side from her. She embraced his spontaneity and shared his love for exploration, making their time together exhilarating and fulfilling. Atlas couldn’t deny the magnetic pull he felt towards Lydia, and he couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps she felt the same way about him. “Father… we should probably start heading to the ball.” Atlas said clearly avoiding the question.

“Oh, okay, but I must remind you that you are not getting any younger. Perhaps it’s time to start looking for a bride.” His father responded; however, Atlas couldn’t shake off the feeling that settling down wasn’t what he truly desired. He yearned for a life filled with adventure and passion. Without saying another word, he exited his room, going outside to check on their carriage, but stopped as he noticed Adeline’s bedroom door was open. He could hear his mother’s and Adeline’s voices, and he quietly approached her bedroom. He stood at the doorway and just observed the two of them; it had been a while since Atlas and Adeline had a proper conversation. He knew he was at fault for that, and although he did miss the bond they used to have at times, he couldn’t forget about what happened a long time ago. When Atlas saw the queen choose Adeline as her diamond, he couldn’t help but feel proud and happy for her; he knew she deserved that title the most.“Ato?” His thoughts were interrupted when he heard Adeline’s voice say his nickname, which Adeline had given him when they were younger. Atlas cleared his throat as he fixed his composure and made it seem as if he had just walked by. “I-Uh, Father is waiting for us already. He just asked me to relay the message. I’ll be going now.” He quickly said before speeding off, “Ato, wait!” He could hear Adeline calling out to him, but he didn’t stop. Atlas felt a mix of emotions as he continued to walk away: guilt for not staying and talking to Adeline, but also relief for avoiding a potentially awkward conversation.

Finally, they had arrived at the ball. Adeline was filled with nervousness again, but she felt excited at the same time. Atlas helped her get off the carriage and offered his arm to her, and she wondered if he did this because he knew everyone was already starting to see the Delaney family arrive and they had to act as the loving brother and sister. Their mother and father led the way inside, as Adeline and Atlas followed behind. Adeline couldn’t help but take in the vista as they entered the ballroom, and as they moved deeper inside, she started to see prying eyes at every turn. "Just relax."Atlas simply said as he noticed Adeline hold his arm tighter. Adeline looked around more with her eyes, and soon she began to relax as she saw many men and women dancing on the dance floor; it seemed as if they were having a great time. Adeline was soon surprised as her best friend Orpheus suddenly approached her with the same energy that he always had. She was delighted to see him. “Of course, please do find me later!” She told him, but he had already left through the crowd, away from her sight. "That boy, so much energy he has."Atlas said under his breath, which Adeline was able to hear, causing her to silently laugh at her brother’s remark.

When Adeline saw Belle coming toward them, she released Atlas’ arm. She was aware that as soon as Belle came, he would forget about her. Without another word, she walked towards her mother and father and continued to watch as couples danced, waiting for suitors to approach her because, for the time being, all they did was stare at her.

“I’ve missed you too, my dear Belle.” Atlas said as he danced with Belle, he must admit he was caught by surprise as she dragged him to the dance floor since he did not expect to dance much tonight but he could rarely say no to her. At first, dancing with her was enjoyable, but when she inquired as to how he felt about his sister being the ball’s “diamond and fairest lady,” he was taken back. “Belle…” Atlas started to respond, but he hesitated, unsure of how to answer. “It is an honor to be the queen’s diamond; therefore, I believe it is great that she received the honor, and I’m certain whatever happens… Adeline will know what is best for her.” He said not fully answering her question, which he knew she hated, but before she could ask more, he decided to speak first. “How do you feel about tonight? Do you think someone will finally catch your eye and make you fall in love, possibly changing your mind about marriage?”

orp: @Kristi Belle

mentioned:
@novella Lydia
@DandelionKate Orpheus

Adeline is approachable!

7 Likes

Albina just had broken her fast, and was getting ready for the grand opening ball for her second season out in high society in a soft morning dress she had put on in the early morning after a relaxing bath. She had convinced her brother to spend a small fortune at the modiste for her dress for the opening ball. Her fingers ran over smooth fabric of the most elegant dress she had ever witnessed, it was waiting for her, a dress that had been made for her in the richest forest green colours to compliment her perfectly. She wanted to look more than the part, she wanted to look like the definition of exquisite. Today, everything about her needed to be flawless.
She sat down behind her dressing table and practiced her a smile a few times before applying her home-made paste of crushed almonds and milk. This paste, it was the success to Albina’s clear skin, it refreshed and renewed the skin, as well as preventing any breakouts, something she had found herself often prone to before using the paste. She thoroughly massaged it into her skin, mostly around her nose and her cheeks, those places that were the most prone to breakouts. She cleansed the paste off with rosewater. After letting it do its job hydrating her skin for a few minutes, she dried her face with a pink linen cloth by gently patting the product off. Now her skin was healthy and a clean canvas, she started doing her own make-up. While her maid, Eliza, had often asked if she needed assistance with doing her make-up, Albina preferred doing her own. She enjoyed the art of make-up. Most of Albina’s make-up products were personalised and made on request for her by Eliza however, and often contained roses from the family’s garden, for not only did she like the smell of roses, but the colour also worked perfectly for her complexion. She had started with putting on a coat of rice powder using a puff, to even her skin and balance her complexion. Part of which was concealing her freckles, she did enjoy the way they looked on her, but she could not be seen with something as fitting for someone from a lower class, especially not at this first event of the season. A soft rosy rouge followed, carefully blended for Albina did not want it to be too overpowering. She modestly applied some of the green-toned eye paste to harmonize with the dress. As Albina’s naturally barely visible eyebrows were one of her biggest insecurities, they were already shaped to perfection by her made yesterday, all she needed to do now was lightly apply some charcoal to darken and adjust them to her liking, which was perfectly arched and well-defined. Finished with a lip salve made from roses, both for a smooth feeling of the lips and a slight enhancement in colour. Everything about her make-up was meant to enhance her own features while still seeming natural. After the two-hour process, she looked in the mirror, and gave herself a satisfied smile.
She called over her maid, who rushed over to her immediately. “My lady,” Eliza said with a bow “how can I be of assistance?”
“I do believe time has come to tend to my tresses” Albina did not need to say a word more, for her maid started to work at once. Albina enjoyed the feeling of the brush through her hair. Her hair then was dived up into a dozen of different sections, each of which was meticulously braided to perfection by the maid. Braid after braid they would be placed and pinned down, all coming together into one updo. A floral hair accessory was added to complete the look. The maid worked away some final loose strands, while Albina analysed herself in the mirror. Now the biggest struggle would come, the dressing.
“Eliza, I would be most grateful if you could assist me with dressing for the day, please.” Albina said, hating everything about what would be happening. Especially the corset was something Albina had hatred for, she felt extremely restricted in it.
“Most certainly’ Eliza replied, bowing and walking off to collect all the necessities for Albina’s dressing. In the meantime, Albina undressed and put on the first layer of her undergarments, a chemise. A long loose-fitting dress. Then her maid returned with her arms filled with the different layers of petticoats, stockings, gloves, but what Albina was focussed on, was the dreaded corset.
Albina walked over and took the corset from her maid. “Eliza, may I be honest? I truly despise these; they’re dreadfully uncomfortable and make it so difficult to breathe. I understand their necessity, but if you could, please, lace it as loosely as possible today.” She handed it back to Eliza, who had put down everything she was carrying before on a chair. “Of course, Lady Albina. I’ll make it as comfortable as I can while still ensuring it provides the proper support.” Eliza started putting the corset at its right place and lacing it. While it was looser than the average corset, Albina still did not like how it felt. The stockings, petticoats, and the actual dress all went on much smoother, even if Eliza took minutes to close all 50 buttons on the back of the actual dress.
“You are ready Lady Albina” Eliza said. Albina looked into the standing mirror, and she became emotional. This was really it, the season she would be getting married. “I am most grateful for your assistance, Eliza. You are dismissed.” She sat down in silence, 30 minutes past in which she it was solely her and her thoughts. Until her mother knocked on the door, it was time to go.
As soon as she arrived at the first ball of the season alongside her mother, a sense of nostalgia hit her. This was not the first time she was standing here, no, she had had her first ball the year before. Still, it was nothing short of mesmerizing how exquisite the room had been decorated. It was a stunning location for a ball, that was for certain. Chandeliers, lavishly decorations and luxurious seating. Albina quite enjoyed these fancier moments in life, living these experiences. She looked around a little, seeing if there were any familiar faces who she might approach. Before she really had a change however, she heard a male voice she did not recognize say: "Miss Northwick, it’s a delightful surprise to cross paths with you at this gathering.” She turned around and gave a quick bow to the guy as had become an automatism, that often she had been corrected on it. He certainly was a handsome guy, not too much older than she was herself she thought. She liked his curly hair, and his eyes were more than stunning. It was weird however how he knew his name, while she had no clue whoever this individual might be, as of yet.
Before she could speak, he continued talking, slowly but steadily things started to connect. She did know who he was, well, indirectly. She had heard about him.
“Lord Ilyas Keats” she said, with some confidence in her voice, even if it was just an educated guess she made based on what she had heard and observed. “I presume, my Lord, that you had intended to converse with my sister instead of myself. However, due to your past actions, I must regretfully inform you that my sister shall not be gracing this evening’s gathering or any other social occasion of the season. You bear the responsibility for her matrimony, one that has brought her much joy as she now resides contentedly in the northern reaches of England, having recently welcomed a most handsome baby boy into her life.” she approached him closely and whispered in his ear “Not to worry, the boy is not,” she hesitated for a second “yours.”
Before he could react, she took a step back. And said one last thing before she walked away from him just loud enough so people surrounding them could hear: “It was most pleasing to make your acquaintance, my lord. If you would excuse me now.” she walked away before she could get his approval. She would be in control in this interaction, not him. While maybe she had come across calm, she really could not stand the guy, or what he had done to her sister. He had taken away the most important person in her life, without him, her sister would have never been married and moved far away. On the inside, she was fuming. She needed anyone to talk to, to distract, make it so this night and all the effort she had put into it would not go to waste. She looked around, and to her relief, a familiar face popped up. She walked over to him, while writing down his name on her dance card hastily. “Lord Orpheus Langston. May I have this dance?” she dragged him onto the dance floor, grabbing him by both hands. She wouldn’t take no for an answer. When they were in place she muttered “I am sorry, but I needed a rescue”.

@Madilnel ~ Ilyas
@DandelionKate ~ Orpheus

10 Likes

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇

Arabella~

As she an Atlas danced in a vertical position, hand on shoulder, Belle caught her aunt eyes watching and she smiled because Belle had proof that she had dance, and she would no longer be bothered to dance because after this, Belle had asked her dear brother Louis, to take aunt Camille outside to talk and Louis, always so gentle, always so kind, and always the best brother had agreed. Thomas, her other brother would cover for her, and state that yes he had indeed see her dancing with other men, if her aunt was to ask. Thomas, always the great liar, and though at times Belle would curse at Thomas because of his problematic behaviour, she held such love for her dear brother whose actions at times where incredible immoral.

As she continued dancing with Atlas, she could not help but to muse about her past, how dancing use to be hard for her and how if this was the old Belle, she would have stepped on his feet more than twice and Atlas knew that. She was grateful for Louisa, the friend dearest to her heart who had helped her learn to dance. One step at once, she had thought her, and though Belle never liked to be treated like a child by anyone, even when she was a child, because Belle always believed herself to more advanced persay than her peers, she was grateful nonetheless for how Louisa had teached her like she was a little child learning how to wake for the first time. Though, Belle was still not as good of a dancer as Louisa, she was still graceful now with her feets and body movement, and she kept eye contact throughout smiling at Atlas as they danced and asking the question that was daring and she knew he hated. But Adeline was important to her, and she needed to make sure that one day Adeline and Atlas would truly reconcile before Adeline married, a kin fight was never a good idea.

When he had called her by her first name, something improper in society, Belle just smiled, because to and Atlas such idiotic laws created by foolish people did not matter to them. They were simply and will always be, ‘Atlas’ and ‘Belle’ to each other, after all they were cut from a similar clothe and they will always be attached no matter what, at least that’s how she saw it and what she hoped.

Even when Atlas would get married, which Belle assumed he would do someday, unlike what Belle would do, she hoped he would not be too busy with his marriage to talk with her, because it’s not like Belle would be much busy with anything except…

“Adeline, Adeline would know what’s best for her?” Belle asked, a frown on her soft features when Atlas said Adeline would know what’s best for her, because Atlas knew better than anyone how naive Adeline could be. "Adeline is still so innocent, she’s like a babe who is learning to walk, she needs guidance, she needs her brother. Now Belle knew Adeline was older by a year to her, but compared to Belle, it was not wrong to say that Adeline was a little bit more childish and Belle always made sure to comment on that and though she knew things with Adeline and Atlas were tense, it should not be too tense that hr would not watch over his younger sister. She did however understand the situation. She noticed additionally, how Atlas had avoided her question, not fully meeting her eyes. She hated when he did that, when at times he would close himself up again, like he did when they were younger and not yet as close as they were. Belle had always thought herself as Atlas shoulders, someone Atlas could always truse, so she found it distasteful, depressing when he would close himself up to even her. She knew then that the subject was to sour, but Belle always the curious Belle and like a cat, was inclined to curiosity.

Belle bit her lips when Atlas asked of marriage. He knew what she thought of it, but she could not blame him for asking such a subject when she asked what she knew was sore for him. He knew how she would react to this, and how she would pause her talk of Adeline temporarily to focus on this subject, because this subject was sore to her especially since her mother and her elder sister.
“There is no man in the world who could make me fall in love,” Belle said, and it was true. There were many men in the world, throughout nations, and yet none of them could ever win her heart. This was not to say Belle had never felt romantic inclined to someone- she had once, or at least she thought what she had was romantic. It was Lord Augustus, another dear friend of her. He was so friendly, so carefree and funny, it was hard not to romanticize him or more like idolize him, but as she was young, the feelings faltered like she hoped they would. “I shall remain a spinster my entire life and do my work.” And Atlas knew the work she was talking about all too well. “What about you? Any ladies caught your eye? Is there perhaps going to be a future marquess soon, a new friend for me.” Belle teased, trying to escape the conversation about her own romantic incline. “What type of women do you even look for? I’m assuming easy on the eye, intelligent and someone who will leave you to your brooding, not like me who will always make sure you do not brood in front of me or wait perhaps you shall like someone who likes adventures and can do silly things with you…” Her tone was jesting, of course. She knew how much Atlas liked to keep to himself and how much Belle would not allow him to do so. It was just not in her nature, Atlas would push himself but Belle always found a way to pull him in. They were soulmates she liked to think, not the romantic type of course, but soulmates none of the less, she was the sun to his brooding moon, and oh and Adeline was like… Adeline was something dear to them. She was their sky? or stars?

orp: @sunflowerjm

mentioned:
@Madilnel - Augustus

6 Likes

reading music (instrumental - good for reading and writing)

Dance #1: Lady Albina Northwick (@Jass): ~ongoing~

Orpheus had not moved, his feet firmly planted, his mind racing, his heart beating out of his chest. He did not have the words to speak further.
Just as he was about to muster the courage to step closer to Azucena, Orpheus felt his wrist being tugged in the opposite direction.
In one motion he had been pulled to the dance floor, his natural instinct to move with the ton kicking in, as he and the lady in front of him moved in sync.
“Miss Northwick.” Orpheus nearly sighed out loud. He was most relieved to have been pulled from his nearly devastatingly awkward interaction.
“On the contrary, my lady, I believe you have just saved me.” Orpheus laughed, taking in the sight of Albina’s gown. It must have cost her family a fortune. Each stitch was beautifully crafted, the trim perfectly complimenting the deep shade of green the fabric was soaked in. The threads looked rather high quality, such a crafted stitching surely reflected her familial status and her desire for a well-off match.
“You are rather enchanting this evening, Lady Northwick. Such a shade is perfectly suited to your delicate features. However, I must admit, I am surprised you chose me to grace the dance floor with as I am sure such a gown has demanded a full dance card. Yet, in the strictest confidence, it seems that many of the gentlemen in attendance possess the grace of an overeager pigeon when it comes to dancing. So, perhaps, you chose your savior well.” Orpheus smiled down at her, his hand resting gently on her open palm as they swayed with the music.
Albina had been a friend in the past, but they had never grown very close. It was a happy surprise indeed that she would be his first dance this evening. Perhaps a dance with an unsuspecting lady is exactly what he needed to take his mind off of the madness that has perchanced his night thus far.
Besides, perhaps Albina would be an interesting option for courtship after all. Given that he had not grown close with her, he knew very little of her heart or sensibilities. However, he was never the one to shy away from a potential love match.

mentioned:
Albina @Jass
Azucena @raviola

10 Likes