Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

In the midst of the ballroom, Aurelia’s hesitancy was palpable, a quiet undercurrent amidst the music and the swirling nobles preparing to dance. Every eye in the room seemed to be on her as she followed her dance partner to their stations… or so it felt like it to the girl - the ton likely watching with a mix of curiosity and intrigue as she stood there, locked in this unexpected dance with a member of the Davis family. She was well aware of the spectacle she had unwittingly become, the puppet in a grand show where her strings were pulled by unseen hands.

As her gaze met Lord Harrison’s, a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions swirled within her. What was she to do in this precarious situation? She could almost hear her mother’s voice, filled with disapproval, ringing in her mind. This encounter did not bode well, and she knew it.

Aurelia remained graceful, her every move precise and measured as she followed Lord Harrison, but an air of uncertainty surrounded her like a delicate veil. She knew every step and word would have to be carefully considered, for she was acutely aware that this dance was more than a mere waltz; it was a delicate balancing act on the precipice of societal expectations and family obligation.

Aurelia’s previous words to the man were as purposeful as they were sharp, cutting through the air like a blade. She watched closely, her gaze steady, as a subtle flicker of emotion passed across Lord Harrison’s face. It was a fleeting moment, easily missed by anyone not paying close attention. But she saw it, a tiny crack in his composed facade, a glimpse of vulnerability that she hadn’t expected.Yet, almost as quickly as it had appeared, that vulnerability vanished, replaced by his usual easygoing expression. It left her with a nagging sense of unease, a feeling that perhaps her words had wounded him in some way. And for some reason… one that she truly could not fathom…Aurelia couldn’t deny the ache forming deep within her, indicating a desire not to inflict pain on him. Why did she care? He put her in this position after all…

No, she did not care, Aure decided - a resolute statement in her mind as she watched him. It was simply that she didn’t want to inflict pain on anyone, and anyone just happened to include a certain member of the Davis family. What was not expected, however, was his next words. Did he just call her words to him a jest? Why in the world would she ever jest with the man in front of her. She did not even know him. She knew of him, sure. Who had not heard the tales of the man in front of her. The man wearing his scar with pride - as he wore the stories surrounding him. In what world would she…

Well, it seemed she hadn’t a moment longer to ponder her thoughts when she found him leaning down to her ear, whispering “They miss you, they are asking when you shall be back.”

As Lord Harrison’s words reached her ears, Aurelia couldn’t help but feel a mixture of emotions stirring within her. She had expected this encounter to be uncomfortable, perhaps even contentious, but his mention of others missing her caught her off guard. It was a sentiment she hadn’t anticipated from a member of the Davis family, given the longstanding tensions between their two families.

Not to mention, his proximity, leaning in to speak softly into her ear, sent a shiver down her spine. The warmth of his breath against her skin, combined with the unexpected intimacy of his words, created a momentary sense of vulnerability that left her feeling disconcerted. Her heart raced, and her head began to throb, a reminder of the accident that had changed her life. This happened often since her accident - her head aching. Her doctor had explained that it was simply her mind repairing itself, and that with time, the pains would disappear before he hushed her into a slumber.

That being said, with his next indication to dance, Aurelia decided to continue, recognizing that any further hesitation might cause an even greater scandal than their unexpected dance had already stirred. She powered through the throbbing pain in her head, diverting her focus to the music that played on… despite her mind repeating his words.

~As it Was~

With the music now her primary focus, Aurelia swiftly caught up to where the rest of the dancers were, despite her slightly delayed start. She seamlessly found her steps and for a moment, remained silent. She used this brief interlude to calm her racing thoughts and to simply observe Lord Harrison. There was no denying his handsomeness, and perhaps even his charm to some. However, it was well-known that he was a rake, and according to her mother, perhaps the worst kind of rake. Tales of his adventures reached far and wide, and these were adventures that Aure recalled well - shocking as it was hard as of late for her to grasp many of her memories. She couldn’t help but wonder that if what she recalled was true, what tales might have she forgotten? She would not be surprised if those stories were even more scandalous than the ones she remembered.

But… more pertinent, what did he mean by they miss you ? Perhaps if her mind wasn’t throbbing, she’d think on the matter more. However, it mattered not… and perhaps there were more important things to discuss than the rambles of a rake. Right? There had to be… but why did it pain her to think in such a way? Shush Aure - focus.

“Lord Harrison…” Aurelia commenced, her words soft but clear, their rhythm matched to the dance. “I must admit, once again, I find myself in complete bewilderment regarding the intent behind this dance and your declaration that I am somehow missed. I assure you, my confusion is genuine, and I do not engage in jest. Furthermore, I would greatly prefer not to delve into the meanings behind your words if they are indeed intended as such. I am not here to play games with a rake, particularly one such as yourself. So if you don’t mind, after this dance concludes, I kindly request that you leave me be.”

@Kristi

8 Likes

She applauded Bainbridge for his tactical response. “I have to admit that you just gave probably the best answer” she joked before he asked who her sister was. “unfortunately no, my sister and I both were unable to attend. So as much as I wished what you are saying is directed at my family, I can’t” she spoke with a genuine sadness Since she wholeheartedly wished for her sister to stand out to the queen in every way other than the one they have now.
When he mentioned that his aunt, it reminded her of her sister. “My sister is like that as well. Despite the family circumstances she has been preparing us for our season so my papa and mama can focus on the family business. Her husband is currently taking care of their baby” she explained. It was no secret that my sister was married, but my sister insisted to keep the family name for a little longer.

When she curtsied, he made a comment about the reason behind it despite their high social rank. “A title is just a title, its fragile and can be earned or taken away at any moment. Our family comes across people of all ranks, we know that connections are stronger than titles. Besides, you neger know where you end up. For all we know the queen will choke on one of the appetizers and you safe her, earning a rank as a result” she explained even though in reality she just didn’t care to bother seeing who ranks higher or lower. “you hardly can go wrong showing too much respect” she added.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Bainbridge.

6 Likes

“For certain, your choice of attire is always commendable. I would not dare do such thing as disagree with you on such matters.” These last words, even if meant jokingly, there was truth to them, sometimes Baylor felt like Dorothea had more power in this friendship than he had himself.
Baylor followed Dorothea’s eyes as she was talking about her mother, and spotted her mother, the Countess Addington, talk to a group of mama’s. The idea that Baylor not only had to get approval of the lady he would be marrying, but also the pressure of her family having to agree, hit Baylor. Not that he would be any less strict on a guy for Maisie himself. However, most mama’s of a lady, they wanted love for their daughter. Either they wanted the love they experienced themselves, or something they never had for their daughter. Times were changing, marriage was, generation after generation, more so prioritising love and affection over what logically makes sense to connect two families. Loving a lady in such a way mama’s might want for their daughter, Baylor was not sure if he could ever deliver that.
“How lovely she finds enjoyment in the season, but I hope she has been not too demanding of you leading up to this season. I imagine she’s rather eager for you to find a new match promptly, as she would undoubtedly make a splendid grandmother.”
Baylor laughed about her clear sarcasm about the ballroom and her inquiring about any romance in Scotland. He had always hidden his brief faltering with a Scottish lass years ago from Dorothea, and he was not going to change so now. However, he felt comfortable enough with Dorothea to share whether his eyes are wondering at this ball. “There is a lady who has captured my notice, for I find her countenance is undeniably alluring. Yet, I remain most undecided as to whether I shall pursue this particular lady.” he took a moment of silence, pondering whether to share who he was talking about, but decided against it for now, unless Dorothea would be inquiring about it, Baylor was very much incapable of telling her no. “How about yourself, might there be someone here who has captivated your interest?”
“Scotland was most enjoyable. While my endeavours in Scotland revolved mostly around my investments, I was blessed with the opportunity to embark on a two day hike through the picturesque Highlands. It was an escapade amidst breathtaking landscapes.” talking about Scotland had softened Baylor’s posture and put a smile on his face. “Should you be inclined to hear more stories, perhaps we should engage in conversation while partaking in a dance?”

@CerealKiller ~ Dorothea
@Littlefeets ~ Maisie (mentioned, you will probably get many of these. Sorry :sweat_smile:)

7 Likes

Dance number 1: Lord Orpheus Langston

“Oh” Albina exclaimed “Pray, enlighten me, how is it that I have come to your rescue?” Albina had a puzzled look on her face. She hadn’t thought her nearly running up to him and dragging him on the dance floor, against the expectations of society, would ever rescue a lord, a son of a duke for that matter. The puzzled look slowly turned into a smile thinking Orpheus might be a guy she could be herself with. Someone who did not care about these social norms, expectations and formalities as much.
“Why thank you. I must admit, I’m rather fond of this dress myself.” she smiled warmly at him. “And you, Lord Orpheus, you do not appear too shabby yourself” she studied him for a second, before refocusing on his face and looking him into his eyes.
"I quite remember so from last season yes, I shared some far from satisfactory dances. This season, it seems more so the problem that if decent personalities would be our nations’ currency, we would have been bankrupt by now " she let out a soft chuckle at her own joke.
The longer they danced, Albina felt safe with Orpheus and she enjoyed feeling close to him. She briefly touched his arm, before saying: “Lord Orpheus” she smiled at saying his name once again. “Your name truly is charming as a lover and practitioner of music, are you aware?.” she let out in a sort of enthusiasm about his name, before really thinking about it. She corrected herself by saying “However, I am drifting off and that’s not precisely what I wanted to express. What I meant to convey, is that during the last season, I found myself rather taken with you. You stood out as one of the rare gentlemen of good character.” she said, almost in a dreamy way. She could feel her cheeks turning red as she said this, and was relieved with the make-up she was wearing, he would not be able to notice. “Until” she hesitated how to word what went through her mind “circumstances altered, and I was compelled to give up on those prospects, and the potential they could have held, before we even knew each other properly.” She felt a little more shy now she had spoken, and looked down on her feet, focusing on the dance.

@DandelionKate ~ Orpheus

5 Likes

Pre-Dance 1: with Lady Adeline Delaney

Magnus kept his composure even after the unexpected collision with Lady Emma, followed by her rapid disappearance. Despite the lingering annoyance from the encounter, he was eager to physically talk to the person he had locked his sight onto from across the room. With a determined stride, Magnus made his way through the crowd, his gaze fixed on her. Finally, the opportunity to speak to her. Had he really been longing to finally meet her in person?

“Lady Adeline Delaney,” he spoke softly when he was near her, his voice soothing, with a feeling like velvet. “Did I not say that I had heard of the prettiest gem? And it seems Her Royal Highness agrees with me. You are as beautiful in person as you are in your words.”

Magnus paused, forcing his eyes to look away from Adeline’s face and toward her parents. With a nod of his head, he directed his gratitude to them, “I must thank you for both raising this eloquent young woman and selecting this year for presenting her to society.”
Then turning back to Adeline once more and taking another moment to pause, he carefully took her dance card in one hand without dropping his gaze into her eyes. “We have waited for this day much too long, and so it would be my honour if you would dance your first dance with me?” Magnus held his breath, awaiting Adeline’s response.

@sunflowerjm - Adeline
@Bexs - Emma (mentioned)

4 Likes

lyds

══✿══╡ dance 1 with augustus ╞══✿══

Augustus’ response to Lydia’s frequently used apology was well-mannered, much similar to the other men’s that had been put into this orchestrated situation. “I suppose that is an optimistic way of putting it,” Lydia told him, regarding her father’s ‘way with words’, with a polite smile. She had learnt over the years that her father saved his pleasant and respectful side for the men they were pairing with her, rather than Lydia herself. It didn’t bother her anymore, it just meant she felt little remorse for rejecting every suitor thrown her way.

Lydia had to hand it to him, Augustus was an admirable conversationalist. She can’t say that anyone else had lead such discussion on snow. She couldn’t help but chuckle at his passionate description on the matter. “My Lord, you certainly have the tongue of an artist,” Lydia responded with a glint in her eye. “I’ve never heard anyone speak so eloquently about snowfall before, you have turned a simple snowflake into a masterpiece.” As an aspiring poet herself, she was intrigued— “Tell me, do you happen to be a wordsmith of some sorts?”

Once again finding herself amused at such topics, Lydia leaned forward in response to his question. “I must confess, yes, I have indulged in a few snowball fights,” She told him in a lowered voice, and then dramatically placed her fingers against her lips as a ‘shhh’ as if Lydia had just told him something scandalous. Augustus’ recount of his shared memory with his siblings’ made her reminisce on her own. Their tradition when it snowed, Cassian telling their parents the three of them were going to the market, but in reality they were off to a nearby field or park to engage in mentioned activities. “I must warn you I have developed expertise in this skill, being the youngest I had to tackle the harsher throws of my elders, which grew me rather resilient.”

It seemed her question intended for humour had been taken quite literally, Augustus providing yet another poetic-like answer. “Have you rehearsed these responses beforehand?” Lydia couldn’t stop herself light-heartedly asking with laughing eyes his way, as his words continuously sounded like something recited.

Though Lydia’s eyes soon after fell on her mother, who had been watching from a distance behind Augustus. Lydia’s look in that direction would have been easy to miss, though, as she looked away in an instant - though the thought of her looking did not leave her mind as quickly. She looked around as a soft melody began playing on the strings, signalling for the beginning of the dance. Lydia knew what was being expected from her in this moment. “So, are you going to ask me to dance?” She asked Augustus playfully when he hadn’t shown immediate signs of initiation.

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@Madilnel Augustus Hatcherman
@benitz786 Aurelia Ellis mentioned
@CerealKiller Cassian Ellis mentioned

5 Likes

╰┈➤ ◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪

Sway
First dance:

Harrison stopped middance, touching the right side of his face, where he scar stood, as if he had been slapped. And perhaps he had, and it was the greatest strike of his life. He was never too keen when it comes to letting people, especially nobles meet them and that was why not even his kins had met them, so when he had trusted an Ellis, especially the first daughter of the Ellis family who he not really not all too well, but they had begged to meet someone and he had not she was not prejudice.

He had thought of her as curious, kind, and a good soul, and all other positive aspects that his mother would shriek in horror at- thinking of an Ellis in such a way. Harrison had always thought his mother was a bit with cruel with her opinion on most people but right know he understood his mother dislike or in particular this Ellis. “You were quite a good actress there, even more skilled than I thought you would as it seemed that throughout day all you did was act. You truly think yourself as better than them?” Harrison said with a low voice, so that only Aurelia and he could hear, his lips had dropped to a frown and his eyes were filled with hatred- something that should have been filled with as soon as he was born, ‘Ellis were not to be trusted,’ his brother had said and perhaps she was right. Harrison had just liked the appeal of befriending an enemy, a good tale for his future children, but now he understands an enemy is an enemy and perhaps not all Ellis were enemies to his body, heart, soul, mind but she especially and her parents were enemies. cruel enemies.

"Perhaps you are better than them, after all you do not know what it’s like to lose a parent at such an early age, He did not know too as his father had died when he was 19, it was early but not quite as early but still unlike some it seems that he could sympathize. “And you are titled, a descendant of dukes, you are quite better than them in aspects such as that but unlike you it seems they have a heart. They are capable of love. You do not have to dance with me,” He said as he eyed her with disdain, before he turned away and began to walk away. He stopped in his tracks, as he realized everyone was watching, what a scene this shall be and the look Angelina and his mother was giving him.

His stomach turned at all this, as he sighed internally- no, he shall not cause a scene that Lady Whistledown would speak so much about, this was Angelina day. His lips curved to a smile as he faced the crowd, it was not a real smile, one that was genuine, but the crowd did not know him so well to tell, even his mother did not know him so well as she simply rolled his eyes, thinking it was one of his antics. Angelina, on other hand gave him a sad smile- his dear sister, how well she knew him. He turned to face Aurelia the smile not reaching his face as he walked towards her extending his hand, as she took it and they revived their danced. " I would be as pleased as you were to never interact with you again after this dance, you are truly what you are said to be." He whispered. A cruel privilege woman who had never seen things from the side of the less fortunate, fed with a golden spoon since birth and sure Harrison was also fed with one at birth, but there was a difference that marked him and the Lady, it was that Harrison was compassionate, he had feelings, emotions and just because he was of a high birth did not mean he did not find the people of low births lovely or think lowly of them.

He was many things, really he was various of things, and he would agree and disagree with most people’s opinions on him, but the one thing he would disagree with is that Harrison is prejudice. He was not, he was the complete opposite of prejudice after all, everyone deserved love happiness and compassion and Harrison would do anything to provide it for them.

Thus, as the dance continued, the people’s eyes removing them, Harrison twirled Aurelia, spinning her in circle, bringing her back to him with distant. His eyes cold and unmoving, Harrison eyes were never usually like that event with the people he could admit he was not quite fond of. But no and he means no one, plays with the feelings of them.

@benitz786 - Aurelia

5 Likes

Those grand balls and celebrations were nothing new to Cassian, even in the past few years as he had attending more balls considering both his sisters were now out to socially. The whole family running around, all focuses on his sister Lydia‘s debut, after all, her sister was the diamond, it would be rather expected of Lydia as well. Although Cassian didn’t see the necessity in this silly little title, of course, more suitors follow, but are they really the suitors he wants for his sister when they only come because the queen potentially liked her and not solely for herself? At least in his mind, she was a diamond every day, so it wasn’t much of a disappointment to him to see she was not chosen.

Cassian went on and continued with his doings, not to call anything remarkable, as his so called doing were just drinking a glass of wine and standing in a good corner watching and observing while the rest were pacing around like ducks trying to impress someone or secure some preposterous match.

”My lady” he introduced himself to the red headed girl standing in his corner, a light courtsy bow as he glanced a her,
” I was not yet planning on interacting with anyone, but you my beautiful lady, seem to be standing in my favorite corner” he stated, lightly arching his brow as he spoke. ”Perhaps instead I could interest you with a dance? ” he then offered with a light smile

@CrazyCaliope Phoebe
@novella Lydia mentioned

5 Likes

snatch and sway, the northwick way

dance #1 : Albina Northwick (@Jass) ~ongoing~

Orpheus looked on Albina fondly as they danced in unison, moving as smoothly as the fabrics of her dress that swayed with them at each turn. He had to admit, she was a fair dancer. It seemed most women of the ton merely followed in step, but Albina seemed to move independently yet entirely in sync with his own motions. It was as if they had rehearsed the dance numerous times before, yet it was indeed their first.
As Albina questioned his relief at her sudden pull to the dance floor, Orpheus wondered how much he should share with her. The fact that Azucena was now a lady, or rather, that she had always been a lady, complicated their relationship greatly. It also meant he could not speak as freely about her as he once might have.
“Simply a conversation with a friend turned dull. I am most relieved to be sparking up a new topic with you, here, instead. You are far more lovely company, to be sure.” Orpheus smiled, the whitens of his teeth glinting in the light of the overhead chandeliers.
At her compliment, Orpheus gazed down at his suit as if he had forgotten what he was wearing.
“You flatter me.” Orpheus chuckled. “However, the coffers of the Duke do tend to bode well for my taste in fashion.” In fact, the suit had been so egregiously expensive, the Duke had been quite upset with him. Orpheus was the type to meticulously prep every aspect of his outfit down to the size and shape of the buttons and the cut of the collar. He quite enjoyed crafting his own outfits, and often arrived at the tailors with a hand drawn sketch of precisely the suit he needed.
This one, in particular, was laced with gold.
Tonight, he opted for a soft golden undershirt, a matching light gold tie, and gold buttons down the coat. His tailcoat was black to match Corin’s all black suit, giving them a sense of togetherness in their outfit choice, much to the displeasure of the Duke. The Langston family colors were white and gold, yet instead of opting for a typical white undershirt and gold patterned coat, Orpheus thought Corin’s introduction to society should be marked by the backing of the Duke, symbolically, of course, through the combined family color schemes.
Orpheus refocused as Albina finished her rather witty sentiment regarding her distaste of the men of the ton.
“You do not find rakes and dirty, old widowers with wandering hands to be favorable, Miss Northwick?” Orpheus feigned a shocked expression. “I must say, I am not sure there is much left the season might offer you if that is the case.” Orpheus laughed, grasping her hand more firmly, instead of hovering, as they danced. Had he known Albina would be full of such quips, he might have invited her to tea alongside Adeline as they gossiped prior to the season.
“My namesake does set quite the high standard, does he not? Although, I like to believe we are one and the same. Perhaps, if you believe in such notions, as my mother did, a reborn version of an old tale.” Orpheus gave Albina a wink. He was always quite fond of the myth he was named after. Although, the ending never sat quite right with him. Perhaps, he often thought, if Orpheus had been real, he had been sent back to Earth to try his luck in love again.
“I must admit, in the previous season my eyes had wandered elsewhere. I had not given proper care to…”
As he spoke, Albina’s eyes drifted to the floor. Orpheus smirked, his hand slowly gracing the bottom of her chin.
He tilted her chin up, giving her a smile as he cocked his head to the side to meet her gaze.
“Who was in front of me.” Orpheus’ eyes glinted with a teasing sort of flirtation. These were the interactions he had longed for since the previous season.
He stood there for a moment, letting his eyes gaze into hers, falling slightly out of step with the crowd.
“Luckily, the heavens have granted me more time. Perhaps we shall see more of one another this season.” Orpheus smiled softly, pulling his gaze back toward the dance, and leading Albina back into step again.

mentioned :
Albina (@Jass)
Azucena (@raviola)

5 Likes

Dance 1: with Cassian Ellis

Phoebe’s heart was no longer racing from the overwhelming experience, it was slowing down as she pressed her back against the crevice. Desperately trying to regain her composure, a voice broke through the chaos of her thoughts, addressing her. At least she assumed it was who the voice addressed, with it being indirect in name. Not many knew who she was, she was aware of that, and made mental note, for chance it happened in future encounters.

Although the voice had been rather startling, Phoebe had managed to hold onto the composure she had accumulated in the past few minutes and not show any fright by his sudden appearance. Looking up at a gentleman standing before her, a glass of wine in hand, Phoebe noticed his presence had an air of nonchalance, contrasting the frantic energy clouding her head. His casual bow and captivating gaze instantly intrigued her, and she returned it with a small curtsey.

“Good sir,” Phoebe replied, finding her confidence once more, her voice a delicate mix of surprise and curiosity. “I wasn’t aware someone had claimed a corner, I merely sought refuge in it to gather my thoughts. It seems next time you should pen your name to the corner for all to see.”

She couldn’t help but notice the light smile that played on his lips. Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope, Phoebe thought. An unexpected encounter from this kind gentleman could offer me respite from the overwhelming event. When it happened and he asked her to dance, her eyes glinted with a newfound spark; hope, hope for something her mind can lock on to.

“Dance, you say?” Phoebe’s voice bubbled with buoyancy at the offer. “I would be honoured, sir. To share a dance with you would be a welcome escape from the whirlwind of this evening.”
Phoebe started to extend her hand toward him, lifting it up slightly away from her side, only to drop it again after her panicky brain disciplined her.

@CerealKiller - Cassian

5 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

“Despite the family circumstances? Is it something generally known about your family that I can’t recall now, or is it something secret?” Bainbridge only heard the last name of the family and their title, but knew nothing of them. “I must admit, if it is something most people know about your family, my knowledge of your family is shockingly poor. If it were the case, I’d better get to know your family as soon as may be.” Bainbridge joked with a suggestive tone, one that suggests they’d meet again, at least until he becomes acquinted with her family.

“A title is just a title, its fragile and can be earned or taken away at any moment." Her words kept ringing in his ear and when she finished her speech he repeated them except his sounded more like a question. “A title is just a title, its fragile and can be earned or taken away at any moment? Is that what your parents told you about titles? Throught my childhood I kept hearing a completely different story from all sides of my family. Everybody used to say ‘Children, titles is something rarely bestowed upon people and they last longer than lifetimes. Families with titles have held those same titles for centuries, while we were rich little over half a century. In this situation whatever you do counts and anything seen as wrong in this society might as well rid us of every connection we have. For the sake of your family always be propper and well-mannered, or we might come back to where we were 100 years ago.’ I believe our parents told us this conflicting things about titles because maybe they wanted us to think our behaviour is detrimental in keeping our family and it’s good name alive. Based on our two testaments I conclude titles are neither so easily taken away nor so unreachable. However, I do not think that any action from me, no matter how life-saving it would be to the royals, would ever be enough for a rank. I would be knighted, and called Sir, but knighthoods are not hereditary and wouldn’t be carried to my children by proxy. I could be baronet at best, which isn’t a grand title, but I shall be very lucky if I have even that. I could become Baron the same way my aunt did, but it wouldn’t work for me to marry into a title since it only works for ladies, not gentlemen.” He joked with the last remark. “But I’m not activley seeking a way to rise up in society, I’m happy being a gentleman like my father and his father before it.”

@Meekepeek - Joanna
ORP: Finally! Sorry for the wait

6 Likes

86f66602d08dc77a6f57dbbe1fba133f0a635fbe_2_690x203

Ilyas felt a slight shock as her words landed on his ears. “Not to worry, the boy is not, yours,” she stated boldly, her words hanging in the air like an unexpected gust of wind. He couldn’t help but let his jaw drop ever so slightly at the audacious accusation. The child, of course, was not his; he wasn’t foolish enough be that stupid in the given situation. However, comment struck him. In the midst of this social gathering, with a multitude of ears tuned into to the conversations around them. What was she thinking? Especially when it was common knowledge that there were some ears present who seemed to possess an uncanny ability to overhear everything.

He instinctively glanced around, assessing the proximity of other guests. There weren’t too many people nearby, and the notion of what others might think tugged at the corners of his mind in a way that didn’t matter much. Yet, as his father’s words from their earlier conversation echoed in his head, he found himself grappling with the choice of whether or not to dignify the accusation with a response. “I trust you shall uphold the honor of our family this evening,” A low groan escaped his lips as the unwelcome thought of this conversation resurfacing with his father crossed his mind. He had believed they had moved beyond this particular issue, and the prospect of revisiting it was far from appealing. Was conversing with his father ever appealing?

“It was most pleasing to make your acquaintance, my lord. If you would excuse me now,” she uttered to him before promptly whisking away the nearest male to the dance floor. Ilyas couldn’t help but respond with a wry sense of humor. “The pleasure is all yours,” he retorted with an exaggerated eye-roll, offering a playful imitation of a bow. With that, he turned swiftly on the heels of his polished leather shoes, leaving the scene behind.

Ilyas found himself in dire need of a drink, a strong one at that. The libations being served at the gathering simply wouldn’t do. Why hadn’t he thought to bring his own flask? In hindsight, he realized that a small dose of liquid courage would be necessary to muster a convincing facade of cheer. Correction: a lot of liquid courage.

Fortune appeared to smile upon him momentarily as he spotted his friend, the dashing Corin Blackwood. They had been schoolmates, and Corin’s presence at this moment felt like a fortuitous twist of fate. Ilyas couldn’t help but lean in slightly, a trace of exasperation on his face. “Can you please enlighten me as to why I find myself here right now?” he implored, a hint of humor playing at the corners of his lips. “Please, shed some wisdom on how this is supposed to be good for me?”

@Jass Albina
@DandelionKate Corin

6 Likes

7b10f7d09884509a5e17f75671fd59d298c7c4ef_2_690x203

Dance 1 • Lydia

“I suppose that is an optimistic way of putting it,” He was always know to be optimistic and he took pride in that. He learned it from his parents, and them from thiers and so forth. His family has had its fiar share of hardships, but they were known to power through with a smile on their faces. Augustus flashed a grin in response to Lydia’s comment. “The cold can be a bit of a test too in its harshnness. But, you see, it also presents an opportunity for a delightful snowball fight under the moonlight, doesn’t it? Every challenge has its silver lining, or in this case, its snowy lining!”

Augustus raised an eyebrow in mock astonishment at Lydia’s claim of expertise in snowball fighting. He leaned in closer and nodded conspiratorially, mirroring her playful gesture by placing a finger to his own lips. “Your secret is safe with me,” he whispered with a wink. A wink? He couldn’t believe himself right now. Go auggie! "A resilient snowball warrior in our midst, I see. It seems I may have met my match.” He appreciated Lydia’s spirited demeanor and the shared sense of playfulness that had infused their conversation.

He leaned in slightly, lowering his voice conspiratorially. “And let’s not forget the joy of sipping hot cocoa by the fireside, wrapped in cozy blankets. Winter does have its way of coaxing out the more indulgent pleasures of life, wouldn’t you agree?” Augustus infused their conversation with a touch of lightheartedness, embracing the playful spirit of the moment.

My Lord, you certainly have the tongue of an artist, He glanced away momentarily, feeling a bit flustered, then turned back to Lydia with a more earnest expression. Ilyas tried to regain his composure, sensing a flirtatious undertone in Lydia’s compliment. Did he? He flashed a charming smile and leaned in a bit closer, attempting to respond in kind. “Ah, my lady,” he began, “your beauty and charm have certainly left me…uh, spellbound.” He chuckled nervously, realizing that his attempt at flirting had come off a bit awkward. While his words might not have been the epitome of suave flirtation, they carried a genuine sincerity, revealing that beneath his playful exterior, Augustus was still a man of true heart and intentions.

Lydia’s question about whether he considered himself a wordsmith caught Augustus by surprise. He paused for a moment, contemplating his relationship with writing. He didn’t think of himself as an accomplished wordsmith, but he did enjoy the art of expression through words. “Although I wouldn’t dare to claim the title of a wordsmith. I suppose it’s more of a personal pursuit, a way to capture fleeting emotions and moments in verse.” He shrugged modestly, not wanting to overstate his abilities.
Lydia’s question about dancing stirred a rush of anticipation within Augustus. He thoroughly enjoyed dancing; it was a realm where words were not needed, and the grace of movement took over. Her directness both surprised and pleased him, and he didn’t hesitate to respond, mustering some newfound confidence.

“Why, I would be honored if you would do me the pleasure of sharing a dance with you.” As he asked her, his voice held a touch of eagerness and excitement, belying his initial hesitation. He offered her his hand, ready to lead her to the dance floor.
@novella Lydia

5 Likes

I gotta do it to em - the boys are back

The peace of a quiet evening observing Orpheus dance was suddenly broken by a voice at Corin’s side. He quickly turned, surprised by the intrusion.
As Corin faced the man, he was shocked to see Ilyas, removed from his previous discussion with a lady, and seemingly in worse spirits.
“Ah, Keats, I seem to be asking myself the same.” Corin couldn’t help but smile at Ilyas’ tired expression. It seemed his conversation had not been a pleasant one.
In all honesty, Corin had been exhausted of the night as well despite having no sufficient conversations outside of his own kin. The smell of alcohol and the hustle of a crowded room was enough to peak his anxieties.
Instinctively, he reached out to embrace Ilyas, patting him on the back and resting his arm across Ilyas’ shoulder as he turned back to face the crowd.
“A sea of hungry mamas…” Corin’s hand gestured to the other side of the room where each mother of the ton seemed to have gathered to gossip and chat about the festivities of the day.
“A hoard of desperate young ladies…” Corin’s hand continued across, drawing Ilyas’ eyes to the young women standing apart from the group of dancers, their gazes each fixated on a man of their choice. Some, even landing on Ilyas and Corin.
“And a young Duke to be…” Corin turned back to Ilyas, letting his arm fall from his shoulders. “How you’ve managed all this time without me is a wonder.” Corin smirked, handing Ilyas a champagne flute from the table behind him.
“It is good to see you, my friend.” Corin breathed. The relief he had felt upon seeing Ilyas was nothing compared to being fully reunited.
He had often considered Ilyas a brother where he, now, lacked one. It was as if his heart had always softened most around him, and his usually cold and hardened sensibilities seemed to melt away when they were together.
When Ilyas was around, Corin did not have to be Mr. Blackwood. He did not have to be a business man. He did not have to be a gentleman. He could be fully himself around Ilyas, but more than that, he could be kids again with Ilyas near.
And that feeling was more freeing than any of his travels had lent him.

mentioned :
Ilyas (@Madilnel)
and everyone’s mama…I know you’re gossiping old ladies I see you

5 Likes

~~ Aurelia X Harrison - Dance 1 ~~

I feel like I’m drowning

Dread.

Why did it grip her body the instant her words had been uttered? It felt as if she had taken a misstep, yet she could not discern where she had erred. At least, she did not believe she had. Her words were logical, necessary even. She was dealing with a stranger, a man who spoke to her with undue familiarity that bordered on impropriety. She had simply spoken the truth… and yet, it was those very words that weighted heavily upon her.

Before she even noticed the man in front of her faltering, she felt herself waver. Her heart raced and ached, but the cause remained a mystery in her mind. Her head, on the other hand, resumed its pounding rhythm, the throbbing she had felt earlier returning with a vengeance. However, she pushed these sensations aside - as her doctor had taught her over the past few months. “With time, the pain shall numb, the frequency shall lessen, and I shall be myself again,” Aure reminded herself. “Myself,” she mused, what a delightful thought. Perhaps that former self would comprehend this perplexing situation. Perhaps that former self would be better suited to handle it as well… but for now, all Aure had was herself. No one could be allowed grasp the extent of her altered memory… or so her mother insisted. Suffice it to say, that extent was… far too great.

Aure stilled, noting that the gentleman before her had likewise halted his steps. Thus, they remained, statuesque amidst the ongoing dance. Then, her ears were graced with the sound of his voice—a voice now laced with cruelty, a stark contrast to the manner in which he had first spoken to her. These words bore a venomous spite, a venom that seemed to match the intense loathing that now emanated from his gaze. Something about that look pierced her to the core, yet she could not quite discern its source.

Why had he labeled her an actress? Was it due to her performance during this dance? In truth, this entire confrontation was a charade. After all, Aurelia Juliet Ellis was forbidden to utter a single word, let alone share the floor with this gentleman. And he must have been aware of this fact. She would have followed that rule as well if it was not for his… request to dance with her. Moreover, Aure harbored no delusions of her own superiority over anyone. What ailed the man before her, and why, by the heavens, did her head persist in its relentless throbbing, further clouding her already muddled thoughts?

Whether she wanted to utter a word or not in response to his ramblings - Aurelia would not have had the opportunity for he continued unabated, now mentioning parental loss. What in the heavens was he discussing? And why was he vest his frustrations regarding rank on her? All Aurelia had done was return from her respite, and she was already navigating shark infested waters - something she didn’t not want nor need. “I don’t appreciate your…”

Aure’s words remained unspoken, shortened by the man’s swift departure. Bewilderment washed over her, leaving her but a solitary figure adrift on the dance floor. Before she could even contemplate the implications of her solitude, he returned, his features still harboring the same spite that had clouded it moments earlier. His spiteful words echoed her earlier declaration of avoidance. Yet, however discomforted she had been when those words had parted from her own lips, the discomfort was now amplified, hearing them from his.

For a fleeting moment, she maintained silence, her body instinctively following the dance’s choreography. Her first impulse was to offer an apology, though she struggled to pinpoint any reason for such contrition. Was she at fault, truly? However, the way he gazed upon her now, it pierced her deep within. Perhaps, in this instance, agreement was the wisest course of action. They had evidently reached a conclusion: neither sought an encore of this dance, nor a reprise of this conversation. If that was indeed their shared sentiment, then Aurelia could redirect her focus to the true purpose of her season—the fulfillment of her duty.

“I am… pleased, Lord Harrison, that we find ourselves in accord. Perhaps it is the wisest course of action… considering your words and the manner in which you regard me at present,” Aurelia replied, her tone measured and her gaze steady, even as her heart still raced from their peculiar exchange. And with that; she remained silent - avoiding his eyes as, for some reason, it pained her far too much to look in them.

Fortunately, the dance was drawing to a close, and with its conclusion, the commencement of their newfound “promise” would unfold.

@Kristi - Harrison leaves her in the next post? (I was thinking he almost leaves without saying another word? But just wanted you to be able to do it yourself so I can react to it)

6 Likes

Before a word was spoken, Bridget could tell that someone had approached. The scent while sweet and not overbearing was unfortunately a familiar one indicated a woman. With one careful move, Bridget took a small step back. “I beg your utmost forgiveness, my lady, the scent you wear while a most sweet and pleasant one indeed, its properties can cause distress to one’s nose if prolonged exposure occurs. I assure you it has nothing to do with you.” The young woman then spoke introducing herself,

“Hello. May I ask your name? My name is Louisa Brantley.”

Brantley? She had heard that name previously. However before she could ask the woman’s relations, she heard a very familiar voice,

"Cousin, your mother is displeased, but not to worry, I have a friend of mine who you could introduce yourself to in order to look better in your mother’s eyes and you might not have to be pushed to dance with somebody.”

A soft smile appeared on Bridget’s face, there were few sounds on earth in which she could find more comfort than that of her dearest friend.

"Dear cousin, this is a very good friend of mine, Lady Beckham. Bridget, I would like you to meet my cousin. She is an uprising businesswoman, or at least that’s how I view her.

“If your relation to Abigail is anything to go by, then your future glows bright, indeed. Her kindness, grace, and generosity know no bounds. She is a sister to me and as such any family of hers is family to me as well. I am truly eager to learn more about you.” Bridget smiled softly.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond ~ Abigail
@Ouijaloveletters ~ Loiusa

6 Likes

AbigailBrantley

Such word of compliment wouldn’t mean anything to Abigail, had they been said by anybody but Bridget. Compliments mean something to her only from her closest companions because she believes they know her well enough to be the judge of her in that way, unlike when an acquintance compliments her family or her conduct, knowing very little of it. Abigail’s blush in that moment was as soft as Bridget’s smile.
“Oh Bridget please, no need for such flattery. Out of the three of us, you deserve most praise.” She turned to her cousin in order to account how amazing she found Bridget to be."Louisa, did you know that despite Bridget being blind she is able to read? I cannot imagine the amount of talent it would take to read a passage let alone a chapter of a book, yet she manages to do it.
She turns back to facing her friend with a sly smile. "See dear Bridget, for any flattery you bestow upon me, I have dozens more to bestow upon you. All deserved, and all a great deal more acomplishment than myself.

@Bluecookies - Bridget
@Ouijaloveletters - Louisa

ORP: I’m so sorry I think I messed up the schedule

7 Likes

Purple Sky Profile Header (2)
Having noticed that the woman with her cousin had stepped back, Louisa sighed. “Apologies, I had specifically tried not to be offensive to the olfactory senses. If you wish, I could step back.” Louisa truly meant what she’d said. While she cared not for societies norms, she did not mean to make the girl ill. It possibly had to do with the fact she couldn’t see. Her other senses possibly heightened. “What would you prefer I wear around you?” Turning to her cousin, she huffed gently. You know I care not for what mother thinks of me having not danced. Though, I do sincerely appreciate your help.” Louisa couldn’t help but flush at the compliments of the two. She smiled slightly, curtsying. ”Thank you, both of you. I do not believe I deserve your praise, though. I do what I can.” She really wasn’t used to so much praise. Normally she was used to being reprimanded by her mother, the scoldings being met with a look of annoyance.
@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Abigail
@Bluecookies - Bridget

6 Likes

“You wouldn’t dare,” Dorothea echoed with a soft chuckle, a mischievous smile gracing her lips. “But regardless, I appreciate your kind words.”

She glanced at her mother and Maisie, taking solace in the fact that her mother was preoccupied with the excitement of the debutante era which meant she had not been entirely focused on finding Dora a match this season, as there is other minor thing to keep her tea thirsty mama of the ton manner of living at bay.

A subtle surprise flickered across her face as he mentioned the mysterious lady. “Is that so?” she questioned, arching an eyebrow playfully. "Come on now don’t be shy, who is it? she then asked.
“Well then, in any case I can only imagine that this lucky lady will be in for a treat.” She cast her gaze around the room, observing the debutantes and the other guests. “That is of course if you stop being a potential coward” she added with a jokingly playful tone to her voice. With that, she gracefully maneuvered to avoid providing a direct response to the question herself. “stories and a dance, I must admit, so far this ball has not been as dreadful as I was expecting it to have been” she admitted as lifting her hand for the two of them to proceed to the dance floor.

“Do not forget I am still quite eager to hear about that picturesque Highland escapade you mentioned earlier,” she playfully reminded him as they glided across the dance floor.
In that moment, in the sheer joy of the dance, feeling a sense of liberation as the weight of her worries seemed to have receded into the background as the music and the enchanting lights surrounded her.

@Jass Baylor

5 Likes

Dance I - With Phoebe

“And should I have penned my name upon this very spot, I wonder , my lady, where might you have found yourself standing?” He questioned, “Surely, you mustn’t remain concealed in a corner, for your grace deserves to be admired by all,” he gallantly complimented her, a subtle, enchanting smile gracing his lips.

As she started to extend her hand towards him and quickly took it back, Cassian swept in by reaching and taking her hand anyway. He then signed his name on her dance card and they proceeded headed for the dancing crowds. “It seems i am yet to know your name, my lady”

As she began to extend her hand toward him, hesitating momentarily, Cassian acted decisively, reaching out to take her hand in his own. Without missing a beat, he elegantly penned his name on her dance card, and together, they gracefully navigated the bustling dance floor.

“It appears, my lady, that your name remains a mystery to me,” he remarked, his tone both courteous and captivating, embodying the charm a gentleman of his stature should possess.

@CrazyCaliope Phoebe

4 Likes