Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

86f66602d08dc77a6f57dbbe1fba133f0a635fbe_2_690x203

Ilyas felt a familiar sense of unease and discomfort settling within him as he navigated the ballroom. He couldn’t shake the feeling that these grandiose gatherings were more of an obligation than an enjoyable experience. Ilyas couldn’t help but feel a growing desire to escape from the watchful gaze of his father.

These grandiose gatherings, while meant to uphold the family’s reputation and status, often felt like a suffocating ordeal. He longed for moments of freedom, where he could be himself without the constant scrutiny and expectations that came with being the heir to a prominent family. The burden of responsibility weighed on his shoulders, and he wished for a reprieve from the relentless pressure of society. The ball was just another reminder of the life he felt forced into, rather than one he chose for himself.

Ilyas had always found the family business intriguing. The complexities of trade, the art of negotiation, and the delicate dance of politics all held a certain allure for him. He possessed a natural aptitude for it. However, what he resented was the burden of responsibility that came with being the heir. He didn’t want to be confined by the rigid expectations of the Keats family, to follow in their footsteps, to be molded into the next in line to run the empire. He craved the freedom to explore his own path, to make his own choices, and to escape the weight of familial obligations.

The burdens of his future as a Duke and the weight of his family’s expectations always weighed on him during such events. Every polite smile and nod felt like another link in the chain that bound him to this life he wasn’t sure he wanted. Yet, here he was, putting on a façade of social grace.

And now, this woman, Priti, had disrupted his brief escape. He didn’t care much about being rude. His thoughts wavered between the desire to leave this party and the knowledge that his absence would only stoke his father’s disapproval. The inner turmoil simmered beneath the surface of his polished but noticeably cold exterior.

Ilyas, still somewhat annoyed by the collision but intrigued by her name, couldn’t resist a cocky comment. “No need for apologies, Miss Mehta. Sometimes, it takes a bit of a bump to shake things up, wouldn’t you agree?” His smirking tone was hard to miss.

A wry grin tugged at the corners of Ilyas’s lips as he decided to add a touch of suave, cocky charm to his introduction. “I am Lord Ilyas Keats,” he purred, his dark eyes locking onto hers with a knowing gleam.

@Caticorn Priti

3 Likes

AbigailBrantley

Considering Abigail had nobody to talk to, she sighed, knowing this moment wouldn’t last for long and she rejoiced in the silence and the short breath she was able to take. However the moment didn’t last long since after a minute or two of the dance taking place, she heard somebody mention her name. It was spoken with the soft accent usually used by Scottish highlanders, and as she turned to see who spoke her name, she was met with a very handsome and very tall gentleman. He was about the same heigh as Edgar, but she knows Edgar’s character and doesn’t feel as threathened by his height being so overpowwering to her own because she knows he’d never use it against her, but she doesn’t know this gentleman and doesn’t know if there is a chance he could be violent with her. It’s a curse that her own height always made her feel in danger from bigger, taller men, so in this situation she made it a point not to speak much until she at least knows who she is speaking with, answering only in pleasentries. “Yes, that is me?” She answered warily and softly. Before she was able to ask for his name, he interrupted her and said “I hope you’re having a pleasant evening. Above all, allow me to convey my warmest felicitations on your successful introduction into society.” She replied with a simple thank you, but her thoughts were now muddled with why he considered her introduction into society succesful when she only showed exactly how nervous she was. She thought maybe he only said that to be nice or maybe he said that becuase he didn’t notice her during the introduction and he just generally told her what every young lady wishes to hear … But then if he hadn’t seen her introduction to notice her nerves, how does he know her name. She realized he knows her name, and yet her thoughts prevented her from asking his. The prolonged silence made by her loud thoughts made him speak again just as she was about to and he mentioned something about a deal with Bainbridge, her brother. Thant explains is She thought. Her brother spoke to him, knowing who he is and when suggesting a meeting with her he pointed her out. “I have not seen my brother this whole evening to know of this. Might I ask your name sir, or do you like to be found mysterious? I suggest you give me your name, I don’t like being at a disadvantage with men, and you seem to know much more about me than I know about you.”

@Jass - Baylor

1 Like

Pre-dance five Abigail Brantley

Baylor responded to Lady Abigail’s inquiry with politeness and a touch of charm, understanding her curiosity and her desire for an equal footing in their conversation, though the serious and logical nature beneath his exterior remained evident. He maintained a friendly and approachable demeanor, his eyes showing warmth and understanding as he addressed her concerns, as he believed that was the best way to go about the situation. Show her kindness, respect and understanding. As Baylor could understand her almost seeming a bit overwhelmed with what he had told. While Baylor was a bit more accustomed to the small talk and social interactions in the season, he himself had in his earlier years felt overwhelmed talking to anyone he had not been acquainted with yet. Quite honestly, his introversion was partially the reason he had not yet married in the previous season. He mostly shared dances and conversations with ladies he knew already and just was afraid to really take a chance with someone new. There had even been many a night where Baylor had just been standing on the side, maybe briefly talking to a friend, but mostly enjoying his own company.

“I understand your surprise, Lady Brantley,” he said with a gracious nod. Even with his Scottish accent, his voice was as smooth as silk, carrying a hint of a soothing melody. “Your brother and I had a brief but pleasant conversation earlier this evening. He expressed an interest in visiting our stables, and I mentioned the possibility of your joining us. However, as I mentioned before, please rest assured there’s absolutely no pressure or obligation.” He felt due to the situation, it made sense to briefly repeat how he had met her brother and what they had discussed.

As he had extended the invitation to Lady Abigail, Baylor’s mind briefly wandered back to his own early experiences in the season. He remembered the slight feeling of being overwhelmed, of wanting to retreat to a quiet corner instead of engaging in conversations with strangers. It was that memory that drove his empathetic approach, wanting to ensure that Lady Abigail wouldn’t feel the same way. His internal analysis continued as he maintained friendly eye contact with Lady Abigail, making sure not to add any undue pressure on her. He continued speaking, “It truly is entirely your choice if you wish to join us, and I want you to know that I’m here to make sure you feel entirely at ease with the arrangement. If you decide to accompany us to the stables, I must admit I look forward to getting to know you better. If not, I want you to know that I completely understand. Your comfort and well-being are of the utmost importance.” He would never want to make her feel forced to do something she did not want, for it mostly had been a nice gesture to invite her. While he was truthful about wanting to get to know her a bit better, there was a more logical approach behind his actions and words.

His words, although coming from an Earl who was accustomed to social interactions, were genuine and empathetic, reflecting his logical yet caring nature. He approached this situation with a methodical and thoughtful demeanor, aiming to ensure that Lady Abigail didn’t feel pressured into a situation that might make her uncomfortable. He glanced at her, her expression, and her body language, hoping to gauge her reaction to his words. Baylor understood the importance of non-verbal cues in such situations. His goal was to create a welcoming atmosphere, a chance for Lady Abigail to explore the stables at her own pace. And he hoped that she could see his sincerity in his eyes.

His thoughts then turned to his own introduction, recognizing that transparency was key in such a situation and she had been quite fair in wanting to know his name. Baylor chuckled softly and extended his hand towards Abigail, ready to make a proper introduction. “I apologize for any unintended mystery, Lady Brantley. You have every right to know my name, and it is only fair.” he reassured her, “The name is Baylor Rutherford, the Earl of Eastleigh. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” His voice held a warmth that matched his charming smile, yet there was always an underlying sense of logic and rationality in his approach. Even in this interaction with Abigail, he aimed to go into it with certain goals of getting her to join her brother, and he adjusted himself in a way he thought he would be most successful in achieving it. “Pray, do not hesitate to pose any inquiries you may have, which shall serve to put your mind at ease.”

1 Like

Edgar chuckled, thinking for a second. ”Hmmm…speaking verses to the sky. Well, I do sometimes murmur poetry to myself, but perhaps I should use your idea. I shall try that and tell you how it goes. I mean this in all seriousness.” He smiled. Edgar was not one to joke around about things that he said he would do. If Edgar Füller said he was going to do something, you’d better believe that it would get done. This would be even more true for things he was doing for others. He hated letting people down. ”Have you also noticed how lovely books smell? Parchment just has this certain scent to it.” He smiled, closing his eyes. Edgar could almost smell parchment, as if he was currently in a library, and not a ballroom surrounded by people. Snapping back to reality, Edgar shook his head lightly. ”Apologies, I zoned out for a moment. I seem to do that a lot.” Albina had leaned closer to him, and, startled, he blinked. ”Certainly, even the most friendly person must have time alone. I believe that people are much to crazy to spend all our time surrounded by others” When Albina squeezed his shoulder, Edgar’s cheeks flushed, and he awkwardly cleared his throat. ”Lady Albina, while you say you may not have the temperament, I do certainly agree that you have the intelligence. That is precisely why I offered, as I know you will be able to appreciate the writing.” Smiling again, Edgar nodded at Albina’s offer to exchange musical talents. ”Certainly, I would love to hear you play. Learning new instruments would also be an enjoyment, especially if you are the teacher.”
@Jass - Albina

2 Likes

Dance number four Edgar Füller

Albina could not help but tease Edgar a little as she playfully responded to his thoughts on poetry. “I do look forward to hearing about your poetic conversations with the sky, Mr. Füller. I’ll hold you to your word” she chuckled a bit as she said, “for I’m rather curious to hear how the cosmos responds.” It was quite silly what she had brought up, but she enjoyed how Edgar took it quite seriously, and there was something intriguing and quite romantic about the idea op poetry and a sunrise.

When he mentioned the smell of books, Albina’s playful side emerged further. “Ah, Mr. Füller, you have a keen sense of smell. I must confess that the scent of a well-preserved book is something I find simply irresistible. The smell is as if you’re opening a portal to another world with each page.” she swooned even thinking about the smell, together with roses the smell of books was her favourite. Whether they were freshly printed, or had been stored for a while, she could not help but absolutely love the smell. Maybe it was because of the association with something she was passionate about, reading, but nevertheless the smell on its own was something she appreciated. “Are there any other smells you particularly enjoy?” she inquired, looking at him quite dreamingly, still have occupied thinking about books.

When he zoned out for a bit and apologised for it, Albina gave a playful smile as she said, “Don’t worry, Mr. Füller. I’ve been known to get lost in thought myself. It’s a sign of an inquisitive mind, I’d say” Her banter continued as she chuckled at their shared habit of getting lost in thought. “It’s always refreshing to meet someone who appreciates the beauty of zoning out every now and then. After all, it’s during those moments that we might discover our most intriguing ideas.” she playfully inquired, “Any epiphanies while you were zoned out?” Even if she had inquired in a joking sense, she would be a touch disappointed if he did not have at least one interesting insight to share.

She nodded at his statement on people being crazy to spend all their time surrounded by others, “Solitude can be a treasure. It allows us to escape the constant whirlwind of social engagements and truly connect with our inner thoughts and desires. A bit of introspection and self-discovery can go a long way in this mad world.” Not that Albina did not enjoy the madness of the world, in fact she enjoyed the madness and chaos. She strived in the whirlwind of society, but it could be easy to lose oneself in the chaos. Time spend alone always served as a reminder for Albina to not forget about herself.

As Edgar blushed and cleared his throat before complimenting her intelligence, Albina leaned in closer to Edgar, her eyes sparkling with mischief, and she gave him a playful nudge. “Mr. Füller, you truly have a way with words. It’s quite the skill to charm a lady with flattery and intellectual endeavors. But I must admit, your sincerity is rather endearing.” She grinned and raised an eyebrow. “And now you’ve piqued my curiosity even more. I shall look forward to our literary exchange with great anticipation.”

Albina’s eyes lit up with excitement. “Wonderful! I’m glad you’re open to learning something new, Mr. Füller. Music is a language that transcends words, and I find it to be one of the most beautiful forms of self-expression.” She leaned in a bit closer, her playful nature coming to the forefront. “Be prepared, though, for I can be quite the demanding teacher. But I promise it will be an enjoyable challenge, one that might even rival your poetic endeavors.” Her playful tone was accompanied by a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. “I shall prepare my pianoforte, violin and cello, and you can choose the first piece you’d like me to teach you. A musical challenge awaits.” she said giving him a subtle yet wink that captured her challenging sprit. Albina in fact was quite skilled at all three of the instruments she had mentioned, and she always enjoyed showcasing her talents as well as guiding someone in their road.

2 Likes

In-between Dances: Orpheus Langston

As the third dance ended, Finch was glad that he was able to spend it with Albina. There was no need to impress her and thus, it allowed him to relax for one dance. After separating from his friend, he spotted his younger sister in the crowd. She came over to him with a wide smile after the two made eye contact.

“Finch!” She excitedly exclaimed. “Thea was right about how exciting this is. I’ve danced so much and yet I do not feel tired.” Finch smiled, happy to hear that his sister was enjoying herself. It was the first ball of her debut season. She had a right to have a good time.

“I’m happy to hear that you are having a good night, Lettie.” He responded, remembering how excited she had been to try on her gown for the evening and the high expectations she had set for herself. “Have any gentlemen caught your eye yet?” While finding a match himself was not a priority, he had always been invested in the matches of his older siblings, particularly Juliet as his only younger sibling.

“Maybe. Maybe not. The night is still young.” She quipped, a cheeky smile on her face.

“Juliet!”

“Coming Mama!” Juliet called to their mother before turning back to Finch. “Enjoy the rest of your night, brother.” She said to him before heading in their mother’s direction. Finch began wandering the ballroom, looking for his next dance partner, when he noticed a figure on the balcony outside. As he got closer, he realized that he knew who it was.

“Orpheus.” He whispered to himself. He debated between approaching him or continuing to avoid him like he had for the past few years but he knew that if he left Orpheus in this condition, it would haunt him. So, he properly approached him, clearing his throat as he did so to alert him of his presence. They locked eyes and Finch could see a myriad of emotions in the younger man’s. Betrayal, anger, hurt. He began to speak and every sentence he said was like a knife in Finch’s heart, driven in by his use of Finch’s title rather than his name.

“Let me explain I-”

Orpheus cut him off, giving him a lecture that he knew he deserved but one that stung nonetheless. The night of which he spoke, which Finch had since come to regret, had clearly left wounds on Orpheus which had yet to heal. The accusation that he had preferred the company of a lover to that of the man who he at one point considered a brother. An accusation which was far from the truth. Hurting Orpheus was an unfortunate consequence of a drunken encounter and lack of self-control. He hated the fact that he had caused him this much pain and he hated that he no longer wanted to be near him.

“Orpheus…” He started, though he wasn’t sure how he was going to contradict his version of the events of that night. He was ashamed. It was a night which shouldn’t have happened. “It was never my intention to hurt you. I cared for you, I still care for you and I apologize if I made you think otherwise. We were both intoxicated that night and we were not thinking straight. I avoided you afterwards because I did not know what I would say.” He gave his best attempt at an explanation but the sight of Orpheus in his current state interfered with his ability to formulate cohesive sentences. All he wanted to do was comfort him but he knew that he wouldn’t accept it.

He took a deep breath as he tried to maintain what was left of his composure. “I deserve your anger and I won’t beg for your forgiveness because heaven knows I don’t deserve that but it pains me to see you like this.” He said, taking another step closer to him. He moved forward in small increments as if he was testing how close he could get to the man. He wanted to ask what he could do to better the circumstances between them but he didn’t think that Orpheus was in the right headspace for that at the moment.

@DandelionKate - Orpheus

2 Likes

no dance: encounter with Lydia

In response to Lydia’s remarks about how the environment was unsuitable for her, Atlas smiled a little. He was relieved to know he did not have to pretend to enjoy this ball for a moment by being with her, as he understood how she felt. “I too am making the best attempt to make the best of this ball, but I think I have had enough dances for tonight.” He said as he turned to look at the dance floor. Out of everyone there tonight, Atlas would not have minded sharing a dance with her; she was the only person he genuinely wanted to spend more time with. However, he knew it was best to respect Lydia’s feelings and not push her into doing something she didn’t enjoy. “Though another drink would be nice.” Atlas led Lydia to the side in order to have a bit more privacy—well, as much privacy as they both could have in this place. He took two drinks from the waitstaff’s roving trays as they approached them and handed one to her. “To whatever brings the night, my lady.”

As Lydia talked about him and her sister dancing, he turned his focus fully to her, and with Lydia’s question, the emotion he had been trying to push away earlier seemed to return. His gentle demeanor shifted to one of seriousness as he started to believe that perhaps his earlier thoughts were correct. Lydia used Aurelia’s dance with him as a way of letting him know she was not interested in him. He was unable to comprehend why Lydia couldn’t tell him honestly how she felt, as she was always the one to express her opinions despite who was in front of her. However, Atlas was unable to show his pain because doing so would only make him look foolish. Instead, he finished his drink and soon pretended as if the situation did not affect him and decided to play along. “Perhaps I do. Lady Aurelia really knows how to have a man musing over her even when she is not in their presence,” he said, changing his demeanor once more to a playful tease. “I did not expect to enjoy my dance with Lady Aurelia as much as I did. Maybe I should consider winning the heart of Lady Aurelia this season; what do you think?” He asked as he watched, waiting to see if his words affected Lydia in any way.

@novella lydia

mentioned:
@benitz786 aurelia

2 Likes

AbigailBrantley

He said he understood her surprise, but Abigail didn’t think he did understand, probably because she wasn’t surprised at him, she was confused why he’d tell her everything about himself before telling his name. When she asked his name he continued talking about her brother and his meeting as if they were already introduced which lead her to believ he has no manners at all, but he is from Scotland so she was prepared to learn how a Scot behaves differently and how his culture is different. However, they are in England and she wanted to show him that while being in England he shouldn’t usually take part in a conversation if he hasn’t introduced himself so she hadn’t responded to anything he said until he finally dropped his name.
“Lord Rutherford?” There’s the surprise he was talking about previously. "No offence to my brother, but how did he manage to interest you enough in a meeting? He’s not as business savvy as I imagine your family is. Despite this I have no idea what he would need horses for, his last business venture he told me about is one involving trains. I’m surprised at you, Lord Rutherford, to saying yes to something that might put you out of business.

@Jass

1 Like

stupid me, thought I could trust you

Dance #4: Conversation with Finch Ridlington ~ending~ Dance w/ Adeline DeLaney ~beginning~

The tumultuous swirl of pain and torment pulled Orpheus back down into an anger he had not felt in over a year. A strange sort of twisted hatred that he had locked away in the deepest recesses of his mind. One that turned him into a person he hated. Orpheus fought back to urge to lash out, to unleash the years of built up resentment in the public view. He had had enough for tonight.

He bit back the tears in his eyes as he listened to Finch speak, only turning to face him as he finished.
“…I avoided you afterwards because I did not know what I would say.” Finch said. He spoke of caring for Orpheus as if that held any weight now. As if saying he cared meant anything to Orpheus.

Many people had told Orpheus they cared, and like Finch, many people had lied.

“How about an apology?” Orpheus’ voice was barely a whisper, his eyes welling with tears as he turned to look at Finch, standing up taller in front of him. “I deserved one! An explanation! Years ago!” Orpheus yelled in broken sentences, his chest heaving against the silent sobs as the tears fell from his eyes and dripped down his already ruined gold coat.

“I deserve your anger and I won’t beg for your forgiveness because heaven knows I don’t deserve that but it pains me to see you like this.” Orpheus nearly laughed again as Finch spoke.

“It pains you?” Orpheus’ smile was twisted and dripping with every ounce of resentment he held. “You?” Orpheus breathed, leaning against the railing for support.

“You know nothing of pain, Lord Ridlington, especially mine, as you were so keen on avoiding it!” Orpheus spat, his eyes burning with the fiery anger of every day left alone.

“Aurelia left me…and you were not there.” Orpheus began to hyperventilate as he recalled every aspect of the past year that had weighed him down.

My brother died… Orpheus could barely form the words on his lips. His face melted into that of a child, his features twisting into a pained vulnerability. “And you were not there…” He breathed, his sobs growing with each labored breath. It was as if a weight sat on his chest, preventing him from taking full breaths, leaving him gasping between words.

“You promised you would be there…” Orpheus sat back against the railing again, attempting to shake his head clear of the anguish that was eating at him, threatening to tear him apart.

The weight of his grief was like anchor tied to his very being, threatening to pull him back into the depths of despair he had barely pulled himself out of time and time again. The world around him spun in a drunken haze despite his sobriety creeping up on him slowly, pain becoming his new inhibitor, as he gripped the railing tightly to keep himself from falling from the weight of it all.

Orpheus attempted to steady himself, determined not to allow his mind to rip him back into the darkest of places, determined not to fall apart at the seams of his tear-stained, gold coat. Orpheus stood, the world still spinning, the noise of the ballroom still deafening, yet he faced Finch not as a Duke, or even as a man, but as a boy. A broken boy whose naive heart had been beaten time after time. A lost boy whose only real brother stood before him now asking for forgiveness. A lonely boy whose heart yearned for the love he had once known within his gentle embrace.

“I trusted you…” Orpheus breathed, his eyes baring into Finch’s, begging for a release.

The weight of those words carried the pain Orpheus had longed to let go of. The confusion of that night and everything that it entailed tumbling out of his chest in a rush of actualization.

Because it was simple.
As he had done before, Orpheus had given Finch everything. Every ounce of love. Every breath of devotion. Every piece of trust he had left.
Orpheus gave it happily.
And it was tossed aside.

In this moment, now, Orpheus had nothing else to give except his pain.

The final gentle tears fell from Orpheus’ eyes as he looked on at Finch, deciding it was time to leave the balcony. If he stayed longer, Orpheus feared he might allow Finch to reach past the pain and back into his hollow chest. That he might run to him the way had countless times before. That he might forgive him.
And that was the last thing Orpheus wanted to do.

Orpheus pushed past Finch, slowly wandering back through the ballroom doors. His eyes were glazed over with tears, and the blur of faces and lights were disorienting to no end.

Orpheus made his way to the powder room and for the first time in years…he looked at himself in the mirror.

Orpheus had avoided his own reflection. Ever since Aurelia left and his brother passed, Orpheus could not bring himself to face his reflection. His eyes that mirrored his dead brothers, his lips that once sung the sweetest of songs to his lost love, the cheeks that she caressed so carefully…he could not stand the memories etched into every feature his face held. Each crease and line holding years of time he would never get back, all tainted a dark shade of black.

Now, for the first time in over a year, Orpheus stared at himself. His eyes were a dark, bloodshot red, his skin pale and cold to the touch from sitting in the night air for far too long, his mouth turned into a shockingly deep frown.

He did not recognize himself.

How strange it was to glance at a reflection and not see your own.

To see the outline of the man you did not want to meet, the man you despise more than anyone else, the man you have become.

Orpheus attempted to pull himself together, splashing water on his face, pinching a soft pink hue back into his cheeks, and straightening his attire. His eyes still darkened from hours of crying, yet the rest of him became surprisingly normal. The tears on his coat dried. The streaks down his face were gone. His hair was now pulled back into the smooth waves it had sat in before the events of the night unfurled it.

He looked more like himself.
At least…the parts of himself he recognized.

But there were still those eyes, dark, angry, half-filled with tears, reddened from the sobs, and mocking him. They echoed his brother’s eyes so perfectly he almost let out a small scream as he glanced back at himself.
Orpheus turned away, shutting his eyes from the image, desiring nothing more than to rip them from his skull.

Evil eyes. Hateful eyes.

Orpheus took a calming breath.
The night was not over, and he still had an image to attempt to repair. After everything, Orpheus felt empty, lifeless. He was far more put together on the outside, but he felt nothing as he moved through the ballroom this time. He was not inspired by the beautiful women, nor in awe of the music the orchestra played, and the splendor of the decor was lost to him now.

He had given everything away.
As he always had.
And there was nothing left of him.
Not anymore.

Orpheus slowly made his way to Adeline, the shame of his drunken earlier interaction heating his cheeks into a faint blush.

“Adie, you must allow me to apologize…” Orpheus started, biting back more tears. He would not cry again. Not tonight.

“I should have composed myself better in your presence. Tonight has just been…more than I anticipated in the most unimaginable of ways.” Orpheus extended a hand to her, gesturing for a dance.

“Forgive me?” He asked, a small smile on his lips as he looked to her.

He had been grateful for Adeline. For she, of all people, had never let him stray too far. She chastised him like his mother, supported him like the best of friends, and held his hand like a childhood love when he needed it most.

She had been there.
And of everyone who had wronged him in life, she had never been one.
She was stable.
She was kind.
She was all he had left.

mentioned:
Finch (@Caticorn)
Aurelia (@benitz786)
Adeline (@sunflowerjm)

2 Likes

Baylor, being a well-mannered and thoughtful individual, handled Abigail’s comments with patience and understanding. He responded to her with a polite and composed tone, despite her initial skepticism. “Lady Brantley, I appreciate your concerns about my agreement with your brother. It’s not just a simple venture into horses. In fact, I must say that your brother and I had quite a meaningful conversation earlier regarding his aspirations.”

Baylor shared some of the details of Bainbridge’s plan, “Your family’s ironworks and their involvement in the rail industry intrigued me. Your brother is indeed looking to invest in trains, a promising industry with ties to your family’s iron factory. They require quality horses for transport, and that’s where our stables come in. I see a potential partnership here that could be mutually beneficial. This isn’t just a random decision; it’s about exploring new horizons and, perhaps, securing a partnership that aligns with the interests of both our families.” Even if Baylor had been intrigued by Bainbridge’s proposal, there were still negotiations to be had and he had not yet agreed to sell horses. That was the whole point of the meeting at the stables, to discuss any possible deal in detail. She made it sound like he was stupid for even talking with him, which he truly was not. It was an interesting proposal, one he was keen to discuss in more detail.

Baylor responded with a calm and reassuring tone, aiming to address her concerns, “I appreciate your candor and your concerns for the possible agreement you deem risky for my business. However, I believe in the importance of exploring new opportunities and ventures. While your brother’s involvement in the rail industry may seem like a potential challenge to the horse business, I see it as a chance for innovation and adaptation. The world is changing, and we must evolve with it to remain successful. Horses will always have their place, and our stables will continue to thrive, we can find ways to adapt and remain successful. But being open to new endeavors can also secure a promising future for both our families. It’s not about leaving the past behind; it’s about embracing progress.” He was not quite sure why he ended up overly explaining his strategies, but he did. Even if he felt a touch of frustration surrounding her getting into his business and judging whether something was a good decision for him and his family business without knowing any of the details, he remained a composed demeanour, not showing in any way whatsoever what he was thinking. Over the years that was a skill he had mastered, staying patient even with clients that irritated him.

1 Like

lyds

══✿══╡between dance 3 and 4 with Atlas╞══✿══

Lydia smiled in relief as Atlas seemed to understand her completely. Especially tonight where it appeared even her sister didn’t align with her views, it meant a lot to see that she was not the only one to feel a distaste for the surroundings. Lydia and Atlas were similar in that way, both with the desire for freedom, and an urge to break away from social ties. As they continued their conversation, the night had seemed to completely turn around. Lydia felt content, and convinced that no other could elicit similar emotions.

What enhanced this was Atlas’ suggestion of another drink. “It appears you can decipher my thoughts,” Lydia smiled as they moved further away from the crowd of people. She took the drink that he offered and took a sip, her gaze lingering on him. Maybe this was the key she had been looking for to infuse more excitement into the evening. “And to the beginning a long season,” Lydia added.

Like his, Lydia’s glass was empty by the time Atlas was responding to her jest about Aurelia. It appeared he had taken it well, continuing seamlessly with their playful demeanours. She raised her eyebrows when he shifted it back onto her, through asking her opinion of their possible pairing. “I suppose it’s true what they say - expect the unexpected,” Lydia told him with a shrug, turning their attention to the crowd they have left, to indicate that her words applied to all. “I shall wish you good luck, Aurelia’s heart is possibly the most desired,” She joked as she turned back to Atlas. “But, I must say, your attention cannot have shifted too far if it’s now fixed on my sister.”

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@sunflowerjm Atlas Delaney
@benitz786 Aurelia Ellis

3 Likes

Dance IIIII • With Nikhil

A considerable span of time had elapsed since the beginning of the grand ball, and Dorothea had expertly struck a balance between society’s ever-turning gears and her own yearning for a moment of respite. She gracefully navigated the intricate dance of mingling with the ton’s finest while also indulging in moments of respite on the balcony, allowing herself to savor the night’s enchantment in solitude.

As the orchestra began to tune up for another round of dancing, Dorothea reentered the grand ballroom, her presence as enchanting as ever. Her eyes, beneath the soft glow of the chandeliers, scanned the room. It was then that an unfamiliar figure caught her attention, a man adorned in an unmistakably foreign ensemble, a striking white robe suit that seemed to contrast the sea of traditional attire around the ton. His brown eyes met hers as he gracefully approached, a confident yet respectful aura enveloping him.

In an almost ceremonial gesture, he leaned in to press a gentle kiss to her hand, his lips lingering for a moment. she couldn’t help but appreciate his gallantry. “I do not believe we have, Lord Nikhil," she heard herself say, a soft lilt coloring her words as she gracefully curtsied in response, her eyes meeting his with an air of curiosity.

"Lady Dorothea Addington” she introduced herself, ger voice carried a musical lilt as she spoke, “The pleasure is all mine.”

As they conversed amidst the elegance of the event, Dorothea’s curiosity got the better of her, and she leaned in slightly, her graceful posture unbroken. “Tell me, Lord Nikhil,” she inquired with a delicate raise of her brow, “what brings you to our… eventful social scene?” She asked

@raviola Nikhil

3 Likes

AbigailBrantley

Abigail understood that Bainbridge really liked Baylor Rutherford but he himself didn’t know that every action has a reaction and every invention causes something to be replaced or at least demoted by the invention. She didn’t want Lord Rutherford to lose interest and to think ill of her brother, but she also didn’t want to leave him totally in the dark … She might also have to talk to Bainbridge about it. "Lord Rutherford, I’m not saying this venture is risky, I believe it will pay handsomly to those involved in it. I’m saying we should learn from history … In the early stages of the Industrial Revolution so many new things were invented, so many machines, but so many people had to lose their jobs becuase they weren’t needed anymore. Currently stagecoaches are the only way of transportation between cities in England and you need horses to pull the carriages. Trains are coaches welded together where the first coach has a steam-engine inside it that runs. They don’t need horses and I fear the demand for horses will drop with this invention. Now, I know horses are awesome and you’d be able to rely on other busineses that need horses to function, but do you think you would ever be able to financially recover from not being so in demand when this train takes hold? But then again, it’s not as if there are other ways my brother could get a few horses for whatever he needs and the project will happen either way, it might be better if you invest in the train yourself so that you might also be paid handsomely from the profits and the loss of interest in horses for transportation won’t bother you. I suppose what I’m saying is, if you only sell horses to my brother, and not also invest in the train, you’ll be at a loss. Everybody has to modernize sometime, in your case it might be best to do it before it’s too late.

@Jass

1 Like

Baylor nodded in agreement with Abigail’s observation about the Industrial Revolution and the potential impact of technological advancements on employment. Her concern was evident, yet still a touch unsolicited. After a moment of contemplation, he replied, “Lady Abigail, there is a truth in your insights. History has shown us that progress often comes with both benefits and challenges. Your point about the Industrial Revolution is well taken.”

Baylor responded with a rational and considerate tone, addressing Abigail’s concerns about the potential impact of trains on the horse business. “Trains do represent an innovative shift in transportation, and it’s true that they don’t rely on horses for propulsion. However, I believe there will always be a place for horses, even as technology advances.” he said as as he briefly touched his chin.

His voice held a level of confidence and conviction as he continued, “While trains may offer a faster means of long-distance travel in the future, horses serve various purposes beyond transportation. They are essential in agriculture, for recreational activities like riding and racing, and for tasks where the agility and mobility of horses remain unmatched. I see the possibility of adapting to changing times by diversifying our services to cater to evolving needs.” Baylor’s response showcased his logical and adaptable nature, indicating that he was open to considering the changing landscape while remaining firmly rooted in the value of horses in various aspects of life.

Baylor replied, showing a thoughtful and pragmatic side, “Your point about diversifying investments is intriguing and one that has previously crossed my mind. While I remain committed to the horse business, I appreciate the insight you’ve provided. It’s wise to explore new opportunities and adapt to the changing times. I will continue to consider the potential benefits of investing in the train project alongside maintaining our horse breeding and trading operations.” As that was already an option Baylor had considered himself. Alongside providing horses, he had an interested in possibility investing in the project too, if he could find the financial resources for such investments that is.

His tone conveyed an openness to modernization and a willingness to explore new avenues, showing a balance between tradition and innovation. “Thank you for sharing your perspective on this matter. I’ll certainly weigh the options carefully. I value your insights and will discuss this further with your brother to determine the best course of action.”

1 Like

AbigailBrantley

Abigail’s smile grew whenever he was forced to admit she was right, but it grew the most when she remebered Baylor mentioning her brother invited her to go with them. She hasn’t forgotten that he’d always take her advice when it comes to business so she was happy to be included here to stop him if he were to do or suggest something stupid. “You mentioned my brother suggests I be there, during your first meeting? Considering it’s your estate where the meeting would be held, It falls to you to decide if I’m invited to it, but I would love to join.” She said, hoping her discussion so far made him understand that she is business savy, at least better at it than her brother.

@Jass

1 Like

no dance: encounter with Lydia

“I shall wish you good luck, Aurelia’s heart is possibly the most desired,” Atlas lightly rolled his eyes and chuckled. “Hmm, perhaps to many, but not to me,” he murmured softly while tracing the rim of his now empty glass with his finger before locking eyes with her once more as she mentioned his fixation with her sister. “I must admit, I was taken by surprise when Lady Aurelia approached me first and invited me to dance.” Atlas was perplexed, unsure of how Lydia felt anymore. “What truly astonished me—” he mused, “was her mention of you, Lady Lydia, your keen interest for Lady Aurelia and I to become better acquainted and suggesting the possibility of a potential connection between us.” By the end of his words, Atlas could no longer conceal his disappointment. His tone had shifted from playful to stern.

“Tell me, Lady Lydia, was I mistaken to have believed in the possibility of us? All the moments we shared—is there someone else waiting for you tonight?” Atlas was well aware that he and Lydia had never defined their relationship, and he couldn’t help but blame himself for constantly trying to brush off the emotions Lydia stirred within him. Yet he never considered the idea of there being another person. Not when they spent the majority of their time together, freely pursuing their own desires without concern for societal expectations. However, could he have been mistaken all along?

@novella lydia
2 Likes

dance 4: orpheus langston

“Except for you, that is.” Adeline’s heart fluttered as she heard Lord Rutherford’s words. He possessed a remarkable ability to make Adeline feel as if she were the sole focus of attention amidst the full ballroom. She longed to speak, but strangely, her words escaped her. She could only manage a timid smile, her face turning red with a blend of delight and nervousness.

As the dance came to an end, Baylor asked about the possibility of their next encounter happening as early as the following day. She couldn’t help but remember what tomorrow held in terms of all the potential suitors visiting the women they had been interested in the night before. Was Baylor truly seeking something deeper with her? Or was this simply his method of seeking someone to be his wife? After regaining her composure, Adeline nodded slowly, agreeing to the arrangement. “I will be expecting your presence, Lord Baylor. Have a delightful evening, and please do enjoy your remaining dances…responsibly.” With a playful grin, she innocently taunted him before finally walking away from him.

Adeline was happy to be able to get a break in between dances, as she felt herself getting more and more tired as the night went on. She glanced over at the dessert table, then shifted her gaze to her own stomach as the unsettling rumble of hunger reached her ears. Adeline let out a sigh and shook her head. “It’s fine; it is only for one evening.” She murmured to herself, torn between the urge to leave and the desire that drove her to stay. Yet she had no moment to overthink her choices as someone emerged in front of her.

She was taken aback initially, but a smile formed on her face when she recognized her beloved Orpheus. Orpheus appeared to be going on and on, hardly giving her a chance to speak. Finally, as he uttered his final plea for forgiveness, Adeline couldn’t help but let out a small giggle. “Of course, I forgive you. I don’t believe you did anything wrong; well, besides getting drunk at the ball, we are all humans, and sometimes our emotions overpower us.” She remarked before observing the buildup of tears in his eyes. She let out a sigh before attempting to wipe away his tears, initially ignoring his extended hand. However, once she noticed that he appeared to be more composed, she finally reached out her own hand, patiently waiting for him to accept it. Once he did, they both made their way to the dance floor.

“I want to apologize for leaving you on the balcony. I just worried that the people would have begun to wonder where I had run off to.” She admitted shamefully. Adeline despised the thought of her concern for the opinions of the townsfolk, but she had always held herself to high standards, and if anything bad were to be said about her, she always took it to heart, but she did not always show that to others. “Please tell me, are you alright? Is there anything I can do to make this night better for you?”

@DandelionKate orpheus
included ending for baylor and adi: @jass

2 Likes

lyds

══✿══╡from Atlas to dance 4╞══✿══

Lydia’s eyes glimmered with hope as Atlas quietly admitted her that his interests did not lie within Aurelia’s heart. What did that mean? Did that mean the interest was on her? Could this be considered confirmation? No, but Lydia had to play it down, she could not appear too eager. After all, they were at the beginning of the season where she was sure that many were to compete for Atlas’ attention. Lydia’s feelings had been too strong to let herself appear as just one among the crowd.

Moving onto the dance with Aurelia, Lydia’s expression turned to confusion as he talked to her. “By surprise?” She echoed back. Maybe Lydia was too obvious with what she had asked Aurelia to do. The task for her evaluating him, to assess his suitability, came across too strong, and she had been too soon. Though Lydia didn’t have long to hide her embarrassment, for her attention - as well as her arm was grabbed by someone behind her. “Whatever are you doing, Lydia? The fourth dance is quickly approaching,” Her mother told her abruptly. Before Lydia could protest, she continued, “Hurry along, I have a partner arranged for your next dance.” Casting one last, apologetic, look towards Atlas, whom had still been saying something, Lydia was hastily rushed away by her mother.

Making their way towards the opposite side of the ballroom, her mother pointed her in the direction of said ‘suitor’. Archibald Hastingston met her gaze, and her mother left her to it - though Lydia was sure she remained subtly observing from afar. Lydia gave an awkward smile towards him in acknowledgement at the obligatory formalities as he walked over to her. Though just before he could begin his greetings— “One moment,” Lydia blurted as an idea came to her. Her mind had stayed on the conversation she had with Magnus earlier, and their brainstorming on how to add further excitement to the evening.

So after continuing to dwell on the matter, Lydia made her way towards the orchestra with an idea. Treading cautiously in order to avoid interrupting whatever slow and monotonous piece they had been performing, Lydia flicked through their music sheets in desperate attempt to liven up the atmosphere. She stopped on a piece she believed may do the job, setting it back on the music stand. After flashing the band a convincing smile, the violins began to slowly fade out, before beginning its transition into Lydia’s chosen composition.

“Lord Hastingston is it?” Lydia asked when she promptly returned to the man she had momentarily left standing. “Apologies for that brief interruption. You see, it occurred to me that introducing a livelier tune was a service to all in attendance.” She told him, with a gracious smile but a hint of mischief in her eyes.

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@astxrism Archibald Hastingston
@sunflowerjm Atlas Delaney

2 Likes

“Do not worry of such formalities, Lady Beckett. Lord, Earl or even just Harrison." Bridget’s blush deepened, "Earl Davis, so soon? Why, the season has merely just begun. Surely there are other women you wish to get closer to than me? As they danced, He pulled her softly, seemingly in a direction that she knew wasn’t a part of this dance and he had ‘accidentally’ bumped into someone. She could feel the collision through the dance, “My Lord, are you ok?” Earl Davis seemed to continue as if nothing had happened, "“I am both a sculpter and a painter my lady. I wish to say I was a poet, but saying that would be a lie as yes I am a true lover of poetry, but I am not one. What about you, my lady? What type of art do you prefer and can you do any?” Before she could even begin to answer, he continued, “Or are you perhaps a singer? Your voice while speaking is quite lovely, so I do wonder if your voice when put to singing would be even lovelier.” “I find that I most enjoy pottery as a hobby from my time in Greece, a couple years ago. I have yet to take up sculpting but anything that requires the use of my hands is most exciting indeed.” Bridget smiled softly, "No, my lord, I have not been graced with such a voice, I do however sing to my younger siblings when they need to sleep. “I quite enjoy fresco painting and tempera, they involve a lot of elegant techniques that makes me enjoy painting. I mostly paint when I’m done with all my work-the job of an Earl and a businessman is quite the hassle." Bridget nodded, “I do believe I enjoy post-impressionist art the most, specifically Mr. Van Gogh’s Starry Night, his focus on luminescence in that piece is unparalleled.” In a moment, the rosiness seemed to drain from Bridget’s cheeks as if all her happiness had gone from her, evaporating into nothingness and replaced with a cold, hard bluish hue, “A-At least that’s what I am told, My Lord.” She spoke her words faltering a bit, recalling yet another memory of being told something wonderous she would never see for herself.

@Kristi ~ Earl Davis

2 Likes

Baylor regarded Lady Abigail with a thoughtful expression, observing her keen interest in the business dealings. He couldn’t help but notice that she had a bit of a know-it-all demeanor, one that he noticed by her smile, seemed to give her a sense of satisfaction when he had to admit she had some fair points. Despite this, he acknowledged her capability and the potential value she could bring to the meeting.

He spoke calmly, “It seems you have misunderstood, for I extended the invitation for you to join our meeting out of my own initiative, rather than your brother suggesting it, and now we have made acquaintances, I even more so welcome your presence.” he said, mostly out of formality, “Your insights and understanding of business matters can undoubtedly be of great help, and I appreciate your willingness to join.” he gave her a small nod as he said that. There certainly was a truth behind his words though, even if he found her a touch annoying, she had some great insights.

He paused for a moment, offering her a reassuring smile that concealed his underlying concerns. “Your input and involvement in our discussions will be valuable, and I look forward to our meeting. It’s clear that you have a sharp mind for business, and I believe your presence will be an asset to the proceedings.” He hated to admit she in fact seemed quite knowledgeable about it, even if she got in his business a bit too much. Maybe the combination of her brother more emotional reaction, and her more rational approach might actually benefit him. He just hoped she would not get in the way of a deal between him and Bainbridge, because he realised there certainly were risks in her joining her brother.

2 Likes