Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

champagne and starlight

Dance #2 : Lady Belle Rose (@Kristi) ~ongoing~

Orpheus felt Belle pull away slightly, but did not force her closeness this time. Moving through the steps with a subtle difference in space was hardly a challenge of note for him.

However, in the midst of this delicate choreography, there was a strange allure in the challenge of trying to win her over, to transform annoyance into intrigue. The dance became a subtle battle of wit and charm, a testament to the unpredictable nature of interactions, where even annoyance can be a curious precursor to something more…

“Perhaps you have a liking for women insulting you, more should do that often as it seems to get your attention. And then perhaps you shall fall in love with another woman who sees how infuriating you are and calls you that to yourself and then she shall be duchess and you will not have the time to bother me anymore.” Belle spoke in a hushed tone as to not alarm others around them, yet the whisper added a sense of intimacy to her words.

Orpheus could not help but laugh in response. Perhaps she was right.

He was often drawn to those who were not, in any sense, drawn to him.

“Hardly, little flower.” Orpheus smirked. “It seems only you garner my attention with your words.” Orpheus emphasized his attention to her, attempting to focus his gaze. “And why put effort into making a Duchess when I can take one with me. Such simplicity in keeping your name exactly as it were now, no?” Orpheus jested, hinting at a coupling.

Orpheus had never truly been romantically interested in Belle, that was never the reason for his visits, although he had never ruled it out on his end. He was more often curious about her. From the tales Josephine seemed to spin, she was a far cry from a proper daughter of a Duke. Orpheus had always been curious about women with such defiance in a world where defiance could cost them greatly.

As Belle spoke of his drinking and the implication he would somehow be more infuriating as he drank, he smiled.

“I am often told I am quite pleasant both sober and intoxicated. So, perhaps, little flower, your emotions betray you. Confusing infuriation with infatuation is often a simple mix up, I am sure.” Orpheus held back a laugh, using his time with her to push her as far as he could. It was not often he held her attention, let alone time to themselves where the expressions of her displeasure had to be confined to a minimum. Orpheus wanted to savor it.

“And why do you think I desire escape? Is it because you do?” Belle’s words were slightly harsh in their delivery, taking Orpheus aback. A slow twist reformed in his stomach, causing him to become slightly nauseous again. ‘Yes…’ he thought to himself.

“Is that why you drank so much today? You were escaping? From what?…It has to be a lover. You got rejected?” Belle fired question after question in a furious curiosity that left Orpheus nearly speechless. He was unaware how to process her sudden interest in him and his behaviors as she had hardly questioning him much before. Perhaps she was beginning to loosen her distain for him. Orpheus let out a soft sigh, trying to fight the tension in his body from her words.

“Slow…” Orpheus laughed, glancing around the ballroom to see if anyone had heard her. “You inquire about much, Lady Belle.” Orpheus paused.

“And to answer your questions…’there is much in society to escape’, little flower.” Orpheus’ words, although whispered, reverberated with truthful intensity. Using Belle’s own phrasing to brush off her questions, the way she had done his own, seemed a poetic kind of irony he very much enjoyed.

The music came to a close, and the surrounding couples ended their dance with respectful bowing departure. Orpheus caught sight of Aurelia at the refreshments table. Unwilling to venture back into the crowd near her, he turned his attentions back to Belle.

“However…” Orpheus’ gaze slowly met hers. “If you wish me to respond properly…the same rules apply as the first. A simple dance for a question answered. So…shall we tempt a second round, Lady Belle?” Orpheus asked, a brow raised, as a smirk spread across his features. Surely, a second dance in a row would garner significant attention, yet Orpheus was far more concerned with the unwanted attention of the women he was so desperately avoiding than whispers related to his time with Belle.

If this were the only controversial encounter others would speak of this evening, he will have considered himself fortunate.

mentioned :
Belle (@Kristi)
Aurelia (@benitz786)
Azucena (kinda lol @raviola)

3 Likes

AbigailBrantley

“As for keeping the case private, I can assure you, I know how to keep a secret should I be asked to, the details my work uncovers can be devastating to some families should they be revealed.” This sentence made Abigail happy, and she said “Well, Mr. Armstrong, I must say it is commendable you decided to keep our family’s case secretive although you weren’t asked to. Personally I wouldn’t mind if it were in the press. A worker did something horrible and he paid the price for it, and the punishment fit the crime. The fact my grandfather was the victim isn’t something that could likely harm us. I doubt any of these people would think any less of us if they knew my grandfather was murdered. Still, it’s very considerate to keep it a secret for the family. Thank you for your troubles.”
“I suppose it is rather humorous, isn’t it?" After those words left his mouth she felt free to let her stiffled laugh turn into a soft chuckle which was simmilar to Bruce’s in softness and in silentness.
"It appears my time has finally come to be tamed by a woman as you so eloquently put it.” When she realized it wasn’t a joke but a reality, her chuckle faded as she realized she probably offended him with her finding his situation hilarious. She wanted to change the subject, but noticed his eyes looking into the distance but not focused on much but a spot on the wall on the opposite side of the ballroom. He seemed as if entranced and focused harder on the thought in his mind than on the spot where his gaze was fixated on. He snapped our of it with a deep, sharp breath and finally said. “Please accept my most sincere apologies, my lady, I was…somewhere else for a moment.” She nodded. “I noticed. You were looking at the dancing couples, weren’t you?” She lied. She knew that wasn’t true, but didn’t want to admit she figured he had something heavy on his mind becuase he looked guilty for not saying anything for so long due to it, and also she wanted to change the conversation. “To an outsider who probably didn’t think he would ever have to dance a few weeks ago, dancing can be strange and scary. If you wish to be eased into it, not having to go through this scary experience on your own, I am at your service.”

@Bluecookies - Bruce

3 Likes

moments

Corin’s palm met the back of Ilyas’ arm before he had even processed his ill-mannered behavior.
“My apologies,” Corin started, a small smile playing on the edge of his lips as he readjusted his coat. “I do believe I have often read of lying being a sin, Mr. Keats. As well as vanity. You might wish to watch the tongue you bolster yourself with.” Corin jested. “Besides, if any among us holds allure, I do believe Lord Davis’ etched face takes the win. If a lady is at all dissuaded by his charm, I am sure you hold no such luck, dear Ilyas,” Corin’s eyes met Harrison’s again. This time, his gaze appeared slightly different. There was a darkness to them.
Alluring for sure.
A strange glance seemed to pass between Harrison and Ilyas as Corin’s subtle retort was unsuccessful in clearing the air.
“Letters? You received letters?” Harrison half laughed, but the displeasure in his face was hardly impossible to miss.
Corin took in a breath, his eyes shifting from Ilyas to Harrison.
Tensions brewed like a fast-paced thunderstorm, rolling dark clouds over their once joyous and friendly discussion. Awkward pauses punctuated each sentence, and the air seemed to thicken with unspoken words. Harrison’s body language spoke volumes, with slightly clenched fists, a shifted stance, and piercing eyes betraying his discomfort.
‘I have seemingly stumbled upon the perfect combination of words…as always…to ruin a good moment.’ Corin thought to himself, hesitantly looking between the men.
Every word uttered felt like a verbal minefield, with the potential to explode into conflict. Harrison seemed to choose his words carefully, tiptoeing around the core issue, his sentences loaded with hidden meanings and undertones. It was a conversation marked by what was left unsaid, the elephant in the room that no one dared to acknowledge. And Corin, for one, would not be the person to acknowledge it first.
The discomfort lingered long after the words had faded, but Harrison’s shift in conversation seemed to slightly alleviate the stressful mood.
“I’m sure you know he does love the art of the bedding. he’s quite good in that and he brags about it all the time. Was he bedding any ladies when you guys were together? Do tell how did you guys met” Harrison inquired, glancing back at Corin.
Corin cleared his throat, shifting back into a more comfortable and open facial expression from his shocked and slightly uncomfortable position before.
“Funny you were to mention it. Ilyas took on many…extracurriculars during our time in academy.” Corin smirked, eyeing Ilyas. Although many of the jokes toward bonding between Harrison and Corin had lent themselves to Ilyas’ expense, Ilyas seemed far from upset. In fact, he seemed quite overjoyed that Harrison and Corin were able to flow into conversation so readily.
Corin looked back at Harrison, a smile spreading across his face.
“Our fated meeting was on the first night of our newest year. He had arrived at the common room to our dorm, drunk, and covered in various shades of red lip markings imprinted on his neck. And, attempting, in vain, to stumble up the stairs to our beds.” Corin gave the story pause, laughing slightly as he took a swig from his flask.
“He was so in his cups (drunk) that I had to carry him up the stairs and wipe the prints off of his neck myself. At least…the ones that would wipe away.” Corin’s voice swelled with nostalgic joy as he was reminded of his first encounter with Ilyas. They were boys back then. It seemed so far away.
“It was not until the next afternoon…” Corin emphasized, implying Ilyas had not awoken until late the next day. “That he even told me his name.” Corin laughed again, glancing toward Ilyas.

It was the first true laugh he had let spill from his lips in three years.

Harrison responded to Corin’s previous question, his grievances with a lady seemingly still plastered on his face as he spoke of her.
“The eldest daughter of the Ellis family, she’s quite multiface no? A heart filled with rock, I can see why my mother does not like such a family.” Harrison spoke with such distain, it made Corin wonder what a lady might do to deserve such a description.
Being new to the ways of English court and social intricacies, Corin knew little of feuds that plagued the families of the ton. In fact, he had no such interest in learning of them, however, he had never heard of a woman spoken of so poorly. Perhaps she was rather deserving of the discussion surrounding her.
Corin had heard little of Miss Aurelia Ellis outside of the fact that she had been in an accident and that his cousin was quite taken with her. Orpheus had often written to Corin during the courting season of the previous year, describing her ethereal appearance, her candor in conversation, and often of the dates they had spent in each others company. Outside of those wildly romanticized letterings, Corin had yet to even meet the girl everyone seemed to speak so often of. It seemed with each conversation he held, differing opinions and rumors of her life took root in his mind.
His curiosity was peaked.
Even still, Corin remained silent, not wanting to speak an out of turn word that might cause further tension between the other two men. Instead, Corin simply awaited Ilyas’ reply, hoping the conversation ended as civilly as it had begun.

mentioned :
Harrison (@Kristi)
Ilyas (@Madilnel)
Aurelia (@benitz786)
Orpheus

3 Likes

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋇⋆✦꘏✦⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆⋇⋆

I knew you were trouble

Dance #2: Future Duke Orpheus

Belle’s brow knitted into a subtle but unmistakable frown at Orpheus audacity. . Flirting with her. Belle quite disliked such things- the lingering gazes, the proximity of a man’s presence next to her, the mentioning of marriage and much more was something that had the power to grate on her nerves like an unrelenting itch.

Belle had little patience for the whimsical games of romantic attraction. The very notion of men attempting to woo her, whether through honeyed words or anything, even as a jest, often triggered a reflective eye roll or a scorn. Additionally she did not like to be near people who saw her through romantic lenses or she did not like being around most people in general but there was an exception. Lord Francis, with his endearing speech was one such exception. She pitied him growing up, after all he was quite pitiful, Belle had never seen a more pitful noble than him. With his friendless nature due to something he could not control, his nervous behavior- always seemed to be on edge. Belle could not help but to pity him and let him be around her, be the ‘friend’ he never had. Did she consider him a friend as he did her? That was up for interpretations but she did not mind him. She did not mind him though she knew he held her in romantic light even now that they had grown up, as long as he did not directly tell Belle of such feelings- acted on them then she was fine with even though it was as obvious as day.

She hoped though it will pass with time, because she cannot believe herself saying this, but she does not wish to hurt his kind heart with rejection. But hopefully it does, after all time does change much and Frncis has evolved from a pitiable figure into something more promising. It made her quite proud for him

“Hilarious,” Belle said rolling her eyes, “Besides you donot need to worry about me ever losing my position as ‘duchess’, i’ll forever be that as my heart will never be swayed and certaintly not by you so do drop the teasing Orpheus,” She leaned in closer to him, “You do not wish for me to step on your feet on purpose do you?” She whispered, there was a low timbre to her voice. Each words said slowly so that each syllable rang and her voice low to send goosebumps as she pulled away, a small smile on her face that did not meet her eyes. He could try that nonesense with anyone else, even with Josephine even though she was married and she knew they were just friends, but he should leave her out of the equation.

Orpheus Langston was trully frustrating, and Belle disliked herself for letting herself dance with him just because she was curious. Then again he was drunk, perhaps he shall forget this dance, perhaps not but hopefully he does and forgets that Belle was ever not so cold with him. She wanted him to always think of her as cold, it was fun that way, adds more to her reputation.

She noticed an expression that Orpheus made and Belle hoped he did not plan to puke on her. Being around those who were intoxicated was truly not fun especially considering there was a chance for things to go south. Though, she also could not help worrying for him, he did look a little down, nothing like the Orpheus she was used to knowing and having a distaste for. That feeling of worry disappeared as soon as he came as orpheus brushed off her question- was it truly that hard for him to answer a question without wanting something else? “I’m everything but little,” Belle corrected, because truhtfully she was not- she was tall for a lady her age and in this place. Most women were 5’3 or lower and Belle was around 5’9. “And why do you always require something in return? Can’t you just be a gentleman?” Belle asked, "It would be a scandal, Belle being Belle, one who did not do much of what society asked for ladies to do, was used to scandals but definitely not one such like this and she did not want one like this. But… Belle was curious. She hated that about herself, why was she so curious? People’s business was not her’s and yet she always found a way to make it her’s. “I’m not that curious… I, Fine” Belle sighed, letting Orpheus pull her into another dance.

@DandelionKate
@benitz786 - francis (mentioned)

1 Like

dance one ending: prince magnus rupert edevane

“Perhaps one day I could use you as my muse for one of my paintings; it will give me a chance to expand my creativity.” Adeline joked, though there was some truth in her words. All she mostly painted were scenery or objects around her house; she had never drawn a full person before, but practicing with Prince Magnus did not sound like a bad idea at all.

Even though Magnus’s hand did not linger for long, Adeline could still feel his hand on her cheek after it was gone. That was the first time she had felt a gentleman’s touch in quite some time. His hands were soft and warm, leaving a comforting impression on her skin, but for a moment she felt strange, as if she did not deserve this. This interaction with the prince was too perfect. Adeline had read every fairytale with a happy ending involving a princess finding her prince charming, but could she trust that her prince, who spoke to her so beautifully, was being sincere?

Adeline tried to put her thoughts to rest as she continued to listen to his beautiful words about her. Now it was Adeline who, for a brief moment, caressed his cheek, letting him know that she genuinely cared for him. No words were exchanged from her side as she looked into his eyes. She hoped that even though he was the prince, whom many believed was just another cold-hearted person who had many women by his side, was still someone who was capable of love, and at that moment, Adeline now wondered if one day she would be the lucky lady to win his heart. As the dance came to an end, she released herself from the prince and curtsied, “Thank you, Prince Magnus, for this magnificent dance. I sincerely hope that this will not be our last encounter.”

orp: @CrazyCaliope prince magnus

1 Like

dance two: albina northwick

As Atlas walked away from Belle, he took a deep breath. He could not depend on his beloved best friend to distract him anymore from this whole crowd. He was never a fan of these big festivities or chaos. He would have rather been practicing more of his sword fighting or boxing. Though Atlas knew he had to put on a brave face and participate further in the dance, he just did not know who he would approach at that moment; no one in particular had caught his eye. He decided to observe the people in front of him; everyone seemed to have a great time. He looked towards his parents, who may already be planning to offer his sister’s hand to some of the well-known families in the ton. Who in their right mind would say no if they were to propose an offer to them? Adeline was now the chosen diamond; any lad would be lucky to marry the Delaney’s daughter. Gross. Atlas thought before he realized that his sister Adeline was no longer at their side.

Atlas quickly scanned the room; he had to find where she was. He had to make sure she was okay. His eyes stopped as he finally found her among the crowd dancing. She looked beautiful in her dress, and he smiled as he saw how happy she looked. All he wished was for his little sister to fall in love with a great guy and be the happiest she had ever been. Atlas wanted Adeline to leave this town and form a happy family with the man she loved. As Atlas continued to watch her dance, he finally spotted the man she was dancing with, Prince Magnus. His smile dropped, and he began to walk towards the dance floor before he stopped himself. He knew better than to start a scene in front of all these people, for the sake of his family.

He knew he had to find a way onto the dance floor in order to hear what they were saying and to keep an eye on Prince Magnus, who was probably filling Adeline’s head with stupid, sweet, fake words. Atlas looked around for a bit before he spotted a familiar face. He had seen this lady come to his house many times and be there for hours, sometimes spending her time with Adeline. He had to admit she was a stunning woman, but despite the many times they had seen each other, strangely enough, they had never exchanged words with each other.

“Miss Lady Northwick, I don’t believe I have ever had the pleasure to properly introduce myself to you,” Atlas said as he walked up to her and smiled. “For that, I truly apologize, but I spotted you across the room, and I must say, you look wonderful in that stunning dress. May I please have the honor to share a dance with you tonight?”

orp: @Jass albina
mentioned: @CrazyCaliope prince magnus

2 Likes

Dance number two Atlas Delaney

Before Albina could worry too much however, a somewhat familiar face approached her. She had certainly seen him somewhere before. Maybe she had just come across him last season, no that was not it. She would have certainly remembered if she had met him through her previous season. It took her a few seconds to actually realise who he was. Adeline’s older brother. She had certainly seen him before, but Albina’s time at the Delaney estate was mostly spend with Adeline exclusively, they had not talked much before. He also did seem quite different here in this ball room, over in his own estate the moments she had seen him. She slightly raised an eyebrow, out of intrigue seeing him here. “Lord Atlas Delaney” she gave him a bow. “Why, of course, sir. I appreciate your kind words and would be most honoured to share a dance.” She did hold out a hand for him to guide her to to the dance floor for her second dance.
As they approached the dance floor, Albina subtly checked Atlas out. He certainly was an attractive guy, but she had never really thought of him as a romantic interest for herself. He had just been Adeline’s bigger brother. It was clear to see that the Delaney’s had good genes. Those dark brown eyes both Adeline and Atlas possessed were quite beautiful. Maybe it was the fact his physical appearance was quite comparable to Albina’s herself, they shared the same eye and hair colour, it made her feel comfortable. With Atlas, she immediately felt much more grounded than she had felt before with Orpheus.
As they started to dance, Albina asked: “I couldn’t help but notice the mythological reference in your name. I confess I have wondered before, are you perhaps named after the mighty Titan who bore the heavens? It’s quite intriguing. Is there a tradition or reason behind your being named Atlas?” Albina really had a fascination with names, especially if they were from mythology. “Should I expect that you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, as the mythological Atlas did?” she finished on a more playful manner.

@sunflowerjm - Atlas

4 Likes

In between dance number one and number two

“Ah, ah, you must not be unjust! If Maisie should come to learn of my admiration for Lady Adeline, she shall hear it directly from me” he had a small chuckle as he said this. Baylor always appreciated in Dorothea how she was one of the rare people he could genuine laugh with. They were so different, yet they always had a good time together.
Baylor enjoyed seeing the look on Dorothea’s face as he spoke about his ideal life up in Scotland and her talking about how she would want to join him on an adventure to Scotland, he felt she was one of the rare people he had met who could see themselves living a life like that. It made Baylor think. Maybe Dorothea might not be the worst option for him to marry, and one he should certainly not be overlooking, something he has done thus far. She was beautiful, and she possessed many of the qualities one might want in a wife, but most importantly, she was already dear to him as a friend.
“Who knows” he smiled “You should continue dreaming and imagining a future for yourself, who says you would not be able to visit Scotland?”
As Dorothea was talking about the Whiskey, the dance seemed to finish. The music went down, and people stopped dancing. “It was most enjoyable sharing this dance, Lady Dorothea. We shall be crossing paths soon, that is a promise” he bowed at her as they parted ways.
As Baylor did not want to follow her to the beverages, he decided to walk to the outdoors. A quick break of fresh air might do him good. Before he could go outdoors however, he felt something pull on his coat. It seemed his coat was stuck on something, or someone’s clothes more to speak. He looked up into the face of the only blonde haired gentleman of the season.
"Ah, Bainbridge Brantley, my apologies. It seems my coat got stuck on your " he paused for a second “cuffling.” He looked at Bainbridge, with a hint of a smile on his face. “It appears that your sister has made a successful debut in society this season if I remembered correctly. It’s a momentous step for her, and I’m certain she will captivate the ton with her charm and grace.” Baylor was not necessarily interested in Abigail, formalities however were leading him to speak these words.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Bainbridge
@CerealKiller - Dorothea

4 Likes

Just before Azucena could get Lang’s real name, the song changed, the previously slow beat switched to a fast, light tune. Before she knew it, another woman took him by the arm and they begun to dance, it felt like taking the knife out of her heart. She supposed what they had didn’t mean anything at all. A spotlight appeared over her head as she stood alone, shining over her crestfallen blue eyes. She put a brave face on, and the light darkened again. Find another man to dance with, Azucena thought.

On the other sides of the room, many partners had already commenced dancing together, waltzing in back and forth steps, an impossible crowd to walk through between the shuffling of feet. Azucena tried walking through the room, well aware that every second of this walk was more of her name bashed by the ton. With every step, there was a bump into a baron, or a mean giggle from a lady.

Azu took a messy step between everyone, and tripped over her skirts before she could keep walking. She waited for the ground to take her, pull her down like a magnet pulling her closer to shame. But when she looked around her, she was not surrounded by floor. Instead, she was caught by a strong grip on her frame. It held her tight, but gave her comfort at the same time. She looked up, and looking down at her was a man. He had well groomed hair, perfectly falling over in the front, with smooth pink lips and kind eyes. Before she could think clearly, she realized how pretty she thought he was.

“I- apologize.” Azucena said sincerely, needing to stand up and smooth her skirts. But for some reason, she wanted to stay there, and remain in that sanctuary from all judgement, it was better there. She let him decide if he wanted her or not, waiting to see his reaction as time went by so slowly in those few seconds that went by.

@CerealKiller cassian

4 Likes

dance two: albina northwick

As Atlas danced with Albina, he took a look at her. He was not just looking at her from afar this time, but he was actually noticing her for the first time. Atlas admired her small, light brown freckles; it was the first thing he noticed when he saw her. He had to admit that she was a beautiful lady, yet he could not help but remember that she was his sister’s friend. It was also the first time they had properly met. Atlas was not great at interacting with new people, so he focused primarily on dancing with her.

As he heard Albina begin a conversation, he couldn’t help but chuckle at her question, “I wouldn’t say I carry the world, but I do carry my family’s reputation on my shoulders, like any other first-born son in the ton.” Atlas was a bit surprised at how she instantly knew what his name meant; perhaps she was more than just Adeline’s friend. He smiled at the memory of when he was younger, and his father would tell him how he came to choose this name specifically for him.

Atlas looked over Albina’s shoulder as he saw Adeline had already walked away from the dance floor; he figured her dance had finished before he approached Albina. He hesitated on going to look for his sister, but he did not want to leave Albina by herself; she seemed like a sweet girl, and he did not want to hurt her feelings. Besides, he knew Adeline wouldn’t do something she knew was not proper; she was too pure, and her conscious will just not let her rest; at least he hoped she still thought that way. Atlas made an effort to focus his attention once again on Albina; perhaps he could get to know her more. He wondered if his sister would tell her friend later on about her encounter with the prince.“Tell me, Lady Albina, have you come tonight to find love, or are you just one of the many who have shown up for the sake of their families?”

orp: @Jass albina

2 Likes

ORP: I literally used this post to show how it’s hard to read with a lighter theme and literally a few hours later forgot this post existed

BainbridgeBrantley-min

Bainbridge let go of the woman’s gloved hand after their dance has finished and said. “Lady Claimond It was a pleasure meeting you and dancing with you, but alas, I must take my leave of you now.” He leaned in closer to her so he could whisper “My father made sure I understood the importance of meeting as many people as possible tonight. He doesn’t like company but needs connections for his work, so therefore I do his bidding by enjoying other people’s companies. Still, I’d like to get to know you better in the future, it would be a shame never to see you again.” Bain bowed his head with gratitude before leaving her. His father told him to make connections, but he was interested in only one. He wanted to seek out Baylor Rutherford, although he doesn’t know what he looks like, in order to talk about his family business since Bainbridge loved horses and knew he would either end up buying one or end up in business with the Rutherfords. His plan was to seek out somebody who positively knew Baylor, and mention in passing that he would like to meet him, and they might get the two of them introduced. While wandering aorund, he wasn’t paying attention and caught his cuffling on somebody’s coat. “You know who I am sir? I’m sorry to say I do not know who you are, but thank you on your kind words about my sister.” Bainbridge knew the gentleman was nice out of formality, but he didn’t mind him saying nice things aobut his sister despite him not meaning it. “Please do forgive me for this, it is entirely my fault. Truth be told I was hoping to find Lord Baylor Rutherford and I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going. I’ve heard he would be here but I’m not sure. Do you know him perchance?” Bainbridge turned to the man, still not knowing who he is talking to.

@Jass - Baylor

2 Likes

“Well, Mr. Armstrong, I must say it is commendable you decided to keep our family’s case secretive although you weren’t asked to. Personally I wouldn’t mind if it were in the press. A worker did something horrible and he paid the price for it, and the punishment fit the crime. The fact my grandfather was the victim isn’t something that could likely harm us. I doubt any of these people would think any less of us if they knew my grandfather was murdered. Still, it’s very considerate to keep it a secret for the family. Thank you for your troubles.” Bruce nodded cordially, “Of course, Miss Brantley, however the macabre mind of the ton may yet still cast scrutiny upon your family for such a grisly fate to befall it. Potential whispers of magic, hexes, curses, I’ve seen it all nearly destroy a family before.” “I noticed. You were looking at the dancing couples, weren’t you?” Bruce thought for a moment, here he had a choice: either go along with her offered version of the transpired event or tell the truth. Perhaps not the entire truth…just yet at least. He took a breath, made his choice, and shook his head, “No, my Lady, as much as I wish I could say it was so, I was not looking at the dancing couples. I was…trapped, in a rather haunting memory long since gone.” As he spoke, Bruce’s irises became slightly glossy, as if his eyes were swimming with the horrors and ghosts of his past. He pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his eyes before putting it back where it belongs. “To an outsider who probably didn’t think he would ever have to dance a few weeks ago, dancing can be strange and scary. If you wish to be eased into it, not having to go through this scary experience on your own, I am at your service.” Now, Bruce was uncomfortable. It was a strange experience for him indeed, both the dancing and the feeling of being so uncomfortable. Of course he had interacted with women before, but most interactions were professional as he was hired on a case, the few that were not made him uncomfortable, but nowhere near as uncomfortable as this. However, he had promised his father since he lost their little duel of fates, that he would put his best attempt into courting and finding the best wife for him. So, he kept his composure, summoned his courage, and took yet another breath. He smiled at Abigail, “Most considerate of you, Miss Brantley, I will indeed take you up on your most gracious offer. Shall we?” He gestured toward the dance floor and extended a hand towards the rather beautiful girl, young woman, in front of him, however making sure not to touch her.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond ~ Abigail

2 Likes

AbigailBrantley

"That sounds silly. Some people read too many novels to believe in curses and magic. It’s strange thing to realize there are people who still believe in those.

"No, my Lady, as much as I wish I could say it was so, I was not looking at the dancing couples. I was…trapped, in a rather haunting memory long since gone.” Abigail was surprised he decided to say what was on his mind even after she proposed to dance with him, but her shocked face almost immediately followed by a smile as she realized he trusts her enough to tell her so much on first meeting in several years. As he then aceepted her dance invitation, she put out her hand and said “Well then, let’s circumnavigate the dance together and the hope the thought perishes as you enjoy yourself.” Abigail was curious, she wanted to know what this haunting memory is, but she felt as if suggesting to him to say it would be too much for him with a person that is practically a stranger so instead she stayed silent and walked him to the dance floor.

@Bluecookies - Bruce

3 Likes

Dance number two Atlas Delaney

As Atlas talked about having the responsibility of his family on his shoulders, that resonated with Albina. She however found it quite pretentious of him to assume responsibilities only lay on the oldest boy, there were most certainly many responsibilities for the oldest girl as well. She wanted to express her feelings, without being disrespectful or too direct. “Ah, Lord Atlas, it appears we share a common burden then, for I too understand the weight of family expectations and responsibilities of being the oldest born. In a world where our roles are often predefined, it’s rather intriguing, don’t you think? Tell me, how do you navigate these expectations while staying true to yourself?” These last words were spoken at a moment where the dance pulled her closer to Atlas.

For a little bit, the dance was performed in silence, Albina could feel Atlas’ thoughts had wondered off away from their conversation and dance. She was about to feel like maybe it had been a regret to accept this dance. Until he asked he a question that thoroughly caught her attention. She let out a chuckle before replying: “It’s a question as old as time, isn’t it? While societal expectations certainly play a role, I do believe in the possibility of finding love even amidst these grand gatherings and their infinite formalities. But, let’s say I’m here with an open heart, willing to be pleasantly surprised.” her facial expressions softened, and a smile brightened up her face. “What about you? Are you seeking love in this sea of social obligations?”, her eyes locked on his, in anticipating his answer.

@sunflowerjm - Atlas

4 Likes

In between dance number one and number two

“I had the pleasure of attending The Queen’s presentation, during which, I must confess, your appearance distinguished you as the sole blonde gentleman of the season. That left an impression on me, leading me to recall your name indeed.”, he over explained his answer. Baylor could not help but find the situation quite funny regarding Bainbridge searching for him. “I was in attendance to witness my sister’s introduction to society, Maisie.” he smiled slightly before saying. “Maisie Rutherford.” His smile had now turned into a real smile. “I am pleased to inform you that you are fortunate in encountering Baylor Rutherford, as he stands before you.” His face turned more seriously as he spoke: “May I ask perchance why you were wishing to find me?” He hoped this was not yet another complaint surrounding a horse he had sold, he had really worked a lot on improving his family’s company over the last years, and he thought these complains and gossips would be done by now. They seemed to never fully disappear, even if the horses now were not only of the most exquisite and highest quality breeds, they were always treated with respect and Baylor had invested in significant upgrades for the stables.

@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Bainbridge

3 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

Bainbridge was listening and nodding while the stranger was explaining why he knows his name because it made sense and it was plausible, and it was something he wasn’t likely to have made up at that moment, not that eloquently. However, to Bain’s surprise, the stranger revealed himself to be Baylor Rutherford himself. At first he didn’t comprehend it, but when he realized it he immediately stopped in the middle of a sentence. “Yes Maisie seemed very char …” As the realization hit him in the middle of the sentence he kept silent, since Baylor already started talking. "May I ask perchance why you were wishing to find me?” Bainbridge wanted to hang his head in shame, but to stray from the risk of seeming like more of a fool he composed himself and started talking calmly. “Glad to meet you Lord Rutherford. My apologies for not recognizing you, but you see this is my first season and you are said to be introverted much like my sister, so it would make perfect sense I didn’t know what you looked like. Now let’s get to the business. If you made enquires about me since finding out my name, you would’ve learned that my grandfather started an ironworks in this town. It became a very profitable endeavour and the factory still stands and functions perfectly fine. Now, I wanted to do something simmilar to my grandfather, except I wouldn’t own a factory, but instead I want to invest in trains, they are said to be the future of transport. Since my family owns an iron factory, getting enough metal for the rail will be easier. However, the men are asking for quality horses to be provided for them since a lot of them weren’t cut out for it. Since your family is in this business I was hoping we can negotiate a price for a few of them … If you don’t sell such horses but know somebody who does, I’d be happy to know where I could find them.”

@Jass - Baylor

2 Likes

As the pair walked to the dance floor, Bruce recalled the details of the dance pattern he had previously observed and stored away earlier this evening. ”That sounds silly. Some people read too many novels to believe in curses and magic. It’s strange thing to realize there are people who still believe in those.” He chuckled, "My thoughts exactly, however my experiences may one day prove us both wrong. He stopped to bow respectfully as assume the starting position of the dance. "While in the highlands of Scotland investigating a most intriguing case involving a sighting of a mythical sea monster that coincided with some missing jewels, I happened across an older man, he begged my help claiming his farmland to be haunted by ghost hounds, rather intrigued if this related to my current case at the time I accepted. I could hardly believe him, yet I kept an open mind, then mere hours after last light, we saw them in the moonlight, a pack of ghost hounds, a brilliant light blue hue shone from their bodies as a sudden fog rolled across the ground at their feet. The leader howled a most harrowing sound. 'Twas a truly a bewitching sight indeed. I mounted a horse and…” He shook his head, forgive me, my Lady, I do not mean to boast, merely to suggest some believe because they see what others wish them to see. It was nothing more than a rather ingenious fabrication by a jealous landowner consumed by avarice.” “Well then, let’s circumnavigate the dance together and the hope the thought perishes as you enjoy yourself.” Bruce smiled slightly, “Truthfully, I cannot claim to have done what most consider “enjoyment” in…well ever. My chosen occupation takes the most time and any time to myself is spent furthering myself. So, any enjoyment I may have is thanks to you.”

@LunaticLeviTheSecond ~ Abigail

3 Likes

Cassian couldn’t help but be pleased by Phoebe’s response. Her words, delivered in her gentle tone, were like a soothing melody to his ears, and he couldn’t deny the warmth that crept into his heart.

“Lady Phoebe,” he replied, his voice tinged with a genuine appreciation. “Your words are far too kind. I find myself equally fortunate to have shared this dance with a lady of such grace and charm as yourself”. Their eyes met, and Cassian was momentarily captivated by the shimmering mix of excitement and admiration he saw in her own. It was a look that held the potential of future encounters, a prospect that intrigued him more than he cared to admit.

He gracefully turned, his gaze wandering to another part of the room, when suddenly, a young lady, her elegant peach colored gown in a swirl of fabric, nearly stumbled into him. Cassian’s quick reflexes saved her from a near-fall, his strong arm extending just in time to catch her.

“No need for apologies,” he reassured her in a calm and charming tone. His eyes briefly danced with a playful twinkle as he added, “Unless, of course, it was a deliberate act,” glancing at the enchanting young woman before him. It was undeniable that she was a beautiful stranger, though he had not anticipated such a surprise encounter.

@raviola Azucena
@CrazyCaliope Phoebe

3 Likes

(no song this time)

Dance #2.5 : Lady Belle Rose (@Kristi) ~ongoing~

Orpheus a stood, snagging another glass of champagne from a servant and quickly finishing it off as he awaited Belle’s response.

How many had he drank? He’d lost count.

“You do not wish for me to step on your feet on purpose do you?” Belle’s voice came as a nearly sultry whisper, striking Orpheus’ nerves on edge.

A slight chill ran up his spine, and for the first time, he found himself drawn to her.

“Was that…a joke…Miss Belle?” Orpheus’ smirk spread widely as he glanced down at her. She had not been one for such intimate displays, yet here they stood, standing as close as they had ever been, sharing teases and eye rolls under the dim light of the chandeliers above.

There was a gentle smile on her face, that stopped short on her cheeks. It was one of the first he had gleaned from her expression. She seemed almost pleased with herself for her retorts.

“I’m everything but little, and why do you always require something in return? Can’t you just be a gentleman?” Belle asked, “It would be a scandal…” As her voice trailed, Orpheus felt a sort of exhilarating push in his chest, expelling any nerves he felt from his former interactions.

Lady Belle Rose Fleur.

Belle, the anchor to his mind.

Belle Rose, the little flower.

Whatever her purpose, or her name, she was simply someone Orpheus, in this moment, was most grateful for.

“I am as much of a gentleman as you are little.” Orpheus raised his hand to the top of his own head and slid it down in front of Belle’s vision as to exaggerate the range. There was a significant enough height difference to presume his point. To him, she was, in fact, little.

“I’m not that curious… I, Fine” Belle gave in, a breathy sigh accompanying her words as Orpheus giddily pulled her back toward the floor.

Orpheus’ laughter was resounding and hearty, expelling from his chest slightly too loud for social norm.

Orpheus took his bow, readying himself for the next dance.

Feeling the rush of fresh alcohol in his blood, his steps felt lighter, his breathing came easier, and Belle looked more beautiful with each glass.

“Now, you may ask away, little flower. One question at a time. For, my feet, although agile and in time, do not speak for my mind, which lingers in the bubbles of the Queen’s ample champagne.” Orpheus chuckled, pulling Belle along again in perfect step.

There was an ease to conversing and twirling around the dance floor with her that he had not anticipated. She was, although often times exasperatingly cold, truly as lovely as her name.

2 Likes

AbigailBrantley

Musetta’s Waltz

Abigail chuckled at Bruce’s stories. “Well, people in Scotland tend to believe in witches and changelings, I wouldn’t put it past anybody in Scotland to believe in something like that, especially if a great marority of people around him also believe it.” As the soft gentle music softly started playing, Abigail wanted to show him the dance moves, only to be surprised by him knowing a bit of it already. She wanted to say something, but Bruce just finished talking and she wanted to say something “You could say the same thing was done to us with our grandfather. Only our grandmother could tell that it was no accident while the rest of us were tricked into thinking it was a natural death. And you were alone on this endeavor in Scotland?” She asked.
"Truthfully, I cannot claim to have done what most consider “enjoyment” in…well ever. My chosen occupation takes the most time and any time to myself is spent furthering myself. So, any enjoyment I may have is thanks to you." With a few simple words that meant a lot to her, her old crush was back. She sighed and almost fumbled the dance. “Mr. Armstrong I must admit, I’m not usually the person to instill enjoyment in other people. I’m not sure how to respond, except in admitting that seeing an old friend has brought me joy as well, and I am also enjoying this dance. I must say, you’re an execeptionally fast learner, how long did it take you to learn this dance before being able to dance it with me?”**

@Bluecookies - Bruce

2 Likes