Children under 16 should be allowed to vote. Agree or Disagree?

I believe that the rule is okay as it is because sometimes, the ones over 18 are the ones that understand better about what is going on and the right person to vote. If children under 16 vote, they might just vote on who they like better and not who they think is right.

@Discussions

14 Likes

Yeah I don’t think children under 16 should be allowed to vote. Maybe on super small issues. But like, people’s brains don’t have full function at that point. Also, imagine like advertisers then- like advertising to children to get them to vote one way or the other. It would be really bad.

9 Likes

Ummm, personally I think 16 year olds should be allowed to vote (only 18+ year olds can in most countries), but do the majority of people under 16 understand the importance of voting and selecting a good candidate? Just because we’re lucky here with mature 14 year olds, i don’t think that applies for most younger teens

20 Likes

I agree, the law is perfectly good with being 18+ to vote. By age 18, you are more mature plus have also been taught to read more into what you’re voting on. Most sixteen year old’s do not focus enough on what they are reading to vote properly. Also, eighteen is a universal age for a lot of laws here in the USA so it would be weird if that law was changed.

4 Likes

I think that 16 and 17 year olds could probably vote, although nowhere lets them. Much younger than that is definitely tentative.

1 Like

That is true but I feel like they won’t care enough to actually think about the vote. It just depends on the teenager and how they react to the world. They have practice voting in school to get us ready for the voting process but most didn’t take it seriously enough during that time.

1 Like

I’m not sure what my views on people who are 16 having the ability to vote. I know some people that are very well adjusted and have strong political opinions enough to vote but like I know people who definitely aren’t. But idk. I definitely do think that it would be absolutely ridiculous to have children under 16 vote.

1 Like

That’s just because it’s legal adult status. Plenty of things are different, though

2 Likes

In my country, you’re only allowed to vote when you’re 21.

Either way, I don’t think children should vote because they’ll be mostly following their parents’ votes, which is not really the purpose of selection? Maybe 17 year olds since they can think by themselves.

3 Likes

I hate arguments like this just because this is really what was said about women being able to vote–they’d either just vote along with their husbands or vote against their husbands for spite.

3 Likes

Moved to the discuss section :sparkles:

2 Likes

:disappointed: These are just excuses.

3 Likes

Not really excuses, my point is that that argument makes a lot of assumptions that can and should be tested

4 Likes

But I mean, the difference is that with children- again brains not fully formed and their views aren’t either so they’re more likely to just go along with what their family’s views are- or worse their family could expect them to vote a certain way.

4 Likes

exactly without them even thinking about who is the right person for the country, they just follow their parents views on who to vote

3 Likes

That’s what I meant to say. :joy:

3 Likes

Like honestly, no joke even tho I do have political opinions they’re my mom’s opinions that I agree with and I haven’t looked a ton into the other side, so I would be voting for what my family votes for.

3 Likes

Here I think it’s 17 the minimum age to vote. I think it’s fine that way, not every 16 year old has developed an opinion on political issues. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I think 16+ is good because young teens don’t understand and probably go with what their friends are. They don’t properly understand the importance of politics and the government.

4 Likes

That’s why most country set 18 the minimum age to make things safe, because some people reach puberty later than others.

2 Likes