D&D online or D&D tabletop?

Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) is a roleplaying game that features a whole lot of rules, dice rolling, and a fair amount of roleplaying. Sessions of D&D often have complex maps and miniatures that are used to model the whole world and make combat a bit clearer.

So, with that in mind, I prefer playing D&D in the tabletop format. While you can play online, I’ve found it much less enjoyable of an experience. Nothing really beats a classic game night with chips, salsa, and fireballs. Additionally, good programs to play D&D online tend to be expensive and also may require purchasing expensive copies of the books.

If you’ve played before, which do you prefer?
If you haven’t played before, which do you think you’d prefer?

4 Likes

I’d prefer to play tabletop D&D. I’ve only played through your RP, and it’s really hard to get anything done fast due to timezones and people going inactive. I think it’s better to do it irl because it’s a faster process.

3 Likes

Theoretically, online D&D would have an organized time, but I definitely get your point. Typing things out also makes things take a lot longer :pensive:

3 Likes

It would have an organized time, but if people are in different timezones, you might get only an hour a day to play. And sometimes I just get too lazy to type out a response or I can’t even think of what to write, so that takes up time too.

3 Likes

That’s definitely true, time zones and scheduling are a major pain. I recall staying up until like 4 am with you guys because every little thing took so long to type and that was when the active RPers were on :joy:

3 Likes

I prefer playing tabletop. Just because you can laugh at all of the failures with your fellow adventurers. I think online could be improved if there was a specific time that everyone was online (kind of like a session). Yes, timezones are an issue. But if you made everyone aware as they were signing up what time they’d have to be up at it could be a little more efficient.

1 Like

After trying to use roll20, tabletop is infinitely superior :star_struck:

I’ll maybe play the online version for a start since I’ve never played it on a whole before.
But I know tabletop version would be better than online because I don’t trust dice rolling online as compared to actually rolling the dice. :eyes:

@Gamers Do you like tabletop roleplaying games?

1 Like

Yes, love them.

1 Like

Never played it but I’ve seen passie’s roleplay on it :star_struck:

Played what? D&D?

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like

Well, I’ve played an formal game of D&D but I have played maybe D&D-type games before.

1 Like

Ohh that’s rad.

1 Like

I understand that the D&D era is ending now, or am I wrong?

I imagine playing D&D online to be a bit easier? :thinking:

@Gamers What do you think? Which one do you prefer?

1 Like

Never played online but in person is super fun. Joined my friend’s group and started my first campaign back late last year. REALLY enjoying it and boy, am I causing havoc. HAHAHAHA

2 Likes

HEY! Would anyone be keen on trying out a forum campaign?

More info here!

@Gaming & @Gamers

2 Likes

In person with a group of friends. Nothing else like it.

1 Like

Yeah of course

2 Likes