Discrimination and Racism

My guess is that it’s a less offensive term than saying “coloured”

1 Like

Ahh okies but I still find it strange because it’s excluding white people as well. But speaking of “coloured” remember that episode in Eastenders when Kim (Denise’s sister) went on a date with a white guy and he said that he never got with a “coloured” girl and she took offence to that.

1 Like

I think the “excluding white people” bit comes from the Jim Crow laws like how the fountains were “White” and “Coloured”. I don’t think there’s been a consistent way of referring to non-white people. Like nowadays there’s not only POC but “BAME”

2 Likes

White people have their own category though. Why would they need to be included in people of color?

I thought they’re a colour too

It’s because they don’t vary as much compare to people of color. Yes, in skin like when they blush or they’re scared etc. But people of color range from light to brown to dark.

1 Like

White people made up the term! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: we just embraced it

6 Likes

I don’t hold any even remotely racist beliefs, and never have. Get on my level, scrub

Just don’t be racist, forehead.

7 Likes

:skull:

1 Like

Ahhhh I see now. I was wondering why it’s called POC. I almost read that as PCOS :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Bump. :orange_heart:

1 Like
2 Likes

Bump!

Racism harms society in many ways, can you list some?

It starts off big then trickles down so much:

-> Institutionalised racism exists
-> Laws that harm POC e.g a loophole that allows discrimination in the workplace
-> POC paid less and fired more
-> POC earn less on average
-> POC have higher poverty rates
-> POC have higher crime rates

And this is only one small part overall :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

“Racially charged”
“Racially motivated”
“Racially aggravated”
“Race based”
“Colonial undertones”

Just say racist…