Discussion: Autism and misconceptions

Recently, due to reasons I will not divulge yet. I have been doing research on Autism. When I was researching I noticed a lot of the articles and reports were written from the view of a cismale.

I wish there was more information out there for people of all genders as it just seems as though there is barely any.

Edit: I have updated the terminology I used in the OP, sorry if it offended anybody but I wrote this when I was still pretty misinformed on what terms are prefered, I hope it’s sorted now but feel free to pick me up on anything I super don’t mind!

13 Likes

You can ask me and @line123462 since we are both females with autism. We are both on the mild side.

I was diagnosed with Asperger’s at a very young age. I couldn’t speak at all when I was around 2-3 years old because of speech delay so speech therapist told my parents that I am better off speaking English in general because I am very likely to respond in English than in Bengali.

From primary school to college years, I have been getting help from other teaching assistants as they have to stay with me in every lesson to help me with the work.

If you need more information about Females with Autism, I recommend this book called Aspergirls by Rudy Simone. The author explains everything about autism such as traits, sensory, solitude and so on. You can find it on eBay or Amazon :slight_smile:

I have all these traits mentioned in this link.

7 Likes

Thank you this is really helpful to me!

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

There are so many stupid misconceptions I have heard as a woman with Asperger’s like:

• You don’t look autistic
  • Stop flapping your hands/touching your face
  • But you’re so nice
  • I’m glad I don’t have Autism
  • Keep your Asperger’s to yourself

Another big misconception is when people think Aspies are not empathetic. That’s nonsense! I may not be sweet but you should see how empathetic I am towards most people. Also, I am very selective with who I want to get a long well with.

Here’s a link to more information about Women with Asperger’s:

https://everydayaspie.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/females-with-aspergers-syndrome-checklist-by-samantha-craft/

9 Likes

I hate when people say stuff like this, what is an Autistic person supposed to look like then?

Yup or “chill out no need to get so animated”

Lol :joy: that’s part compliment part dismissive

I never even know what to say to this “cool”

coughs on them there now you have it!

I hear so much about people with aspergers not having emotions, it’s pure bs. Most of the time they just display them differently.

6 Likes

That article is so informative and helpful I should have made this thread sooner!

3 Likes

Glad I could help!

I also recommend reading Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Hodden. It’s about a boy who has Asperger’s and he gets falsely accused of killing a dog.

4 Likes

Are out right now but I like join the discussion later when i get home.

5 Likes

Also, you can ask @liyahsdiamond because she has Asperger’s too.

3 Likes

the reason autism in male’s is been mention more is because autism speaks(one of the biggest autism charity groups) in very long time denied that girls could be autistic and many girls still has to listen no she cant be be autistic its a boy dieases. also autism is not dieases. do not compare it to a dieasie. we are not sick we do not need a cure. if you wanna compare autism to something compare it to been gay. we are going through a lot of the same thing for something we are born as.

also Autism speaks is the abselout worst. first of all they claim to talk for autism when infact they dont listen to autistic people at all and dont have any autistic people with them. that would be like black rigts with out black people. they also sell the ABA theropy which is more of a child abusive. and also most of the charity they get is for research on autism. not to help but to find away to spot if a kid will be born autistic so they can abort it. I could keep going on why they are garbage but litarraly all you need to know is they are PETA of autism. they btw also made an add with PETA saying autism was caused by milk

8 Likes

Woah I had no idea “Autism speaks” was like that, are there any better charities that are not as well known which would be better to donate to?

That really is shocking.

1 Like

yes but can’t remembers names. but just keep away from autism speaks. they are the absolute worst. they made this really creepy add some years ago, autism speaks is behind so much fear of autism

3 Likes

That’s so unethical they should be shut down…

3 Likes

yeah. imagine you just been told your kid has autism. and you see sh*t like this. no wonder so many people think its a big problem. and people refuse vaccine because of fear of autism. this makes it look like a horror movie

5 Likes

btw a few of my favorite autism explain videos

5 Likes

It truly is awful! I’m glad you have made me aware of this.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll save these videos to watch later

3 Likes

You can ask me about autism, I have mild-moderate autism. Stereotypes, types of autism, how it affects you, anything.

3 Likes

I know I am going to repeat this again but this is one of my pet peeves. When someone conflates autism with political statuses, like say stupid stuff like “If you’re autistic then you’re most likely to be a feminist” which is complete nonsense!! I’m neither anti-feminist nor feminist so I don’t get what’s that got to do with political statuses just because I happen to be provoked very easily.

7 Likes

Right.

I struggle with stimming a lot, such as tapping my fingers/feet, rocking back and forth, inability to make eye contact, misunderstanding certain contexts, and/or playing with my hands.

6 Likes