Discussion: Certain Hair Policies in Schools

Alright, so I found this article on my Google feed today. It’s about how a school sent a four year old boy home for a dress code violation because he had braids for his hairstyle. So, the mother was concerned with this rule but decided to remove the braids then the next day her son is sent home again for another hair code violation. She put his hair into a pony tail which is apparently another hairstyle not allowed at the school. This time the mother took her concerns to the school which they told her that it was a preference which the code had been in place since 1978. I find this rule a bit ridiculous to go by. The article even listed which hairstyles were against the dress code which is even more ridiculous since those hairstyles are a normal hairstyle that is worn today. To be honest, I think the policy needs to be reevaluated when they do go over the policy during their yearly policy check. Many parents are actually supporting the rule while some are not. There have even been students who graduated from that school that contacted the family on how the rule effected them as all. I will admit I’ve never dealt with a situation like this before so I will be interested to see what others say. Read the article an answer the questions below.

What do you think about the article? Should the school keep it’s policy? Have you ever had something like happen to you?

@Discussions

5 Likes

awww

1 Like

Yeah, the hairstyle is adorable on the little boy!

1 Like

Oh so people going school for hairstyles now or what?! that’s total nonsense

I mean, when I used to go to school it had certain hairstyles we couldn’t come with and yeah ok, that’s fine but what’s here is overboard… His hair is neatly groomed and it’s not even out or puffy like how I used to have mines.
I have locs now!

5 Likes

Exactly! I feel the same way about it. All of the hairstyles listed are ridiculous. The only dress code violation I ever dealt with was because of a skirt that apparently too short even though I was wearing leggings under it. The skirt had rid up when I had gotten out of the car.

2 Likes

Ew schools that try to control hair are dumb like, unless you get a slur shaved into your head there is literally no big deal. Not to mention most hair code things are racist anyway.

5 Likes

I feel the same way. This needs to be remedied this year. I mean why hasn’t this policy been updated since 1978? It should of been updated much sooner then this.

1 Like

I honestly feel like all schools should review and update policies on a regular basis

2 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

Agreed, what is acceptable nowadays has changed over the years. This should be done either on a yearly basis with more in depth discussion about what is in style now.

3 Likes

but no, this has never happened to me.

i honestly admire people doing fun hairdos cause i can’t do it myself

1 Like

Lmfaoo right!! talmbout 1978

WE AIN’T IN 1978 NO MORE BRUHHH THIS IS 2021

3 Likes

but then u gotta wear a hat and that’s also a no-no

4 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

Hats = Forbidden

4 Likes

that’s the big year of blacks merging with whites right?

my main question is…why was the mom not made aware of this?! is her child just not allowed to put his hair back? Just let it go poof everywhere?! dealing with har can be a chore (which is why i think people keep the braids in for a long time)

1 Like

Ugh right!! what a stupid rule

2 Likes

oui

2 Likes

That’s another dress code I don’t like. Hoodies are understandable with the fact the hood has to stay down but hats that’s another absurd dress code.

1 Like

for a baseball cap, i see how you can cheat, but they don’t yell at kids with a hijab! or what if they are having a bad day? I think beanies are allowed and most teachers r okay with it…

2 Likes