Discussion: Coronavirus Racism

Uh…oops? I mean it is pretty cool. I’m not like batsh!t crazy, though. God, I’m regretting posting now.

2 Likes

Asian culture. I’m not obsessed, though. I do quite like Mochi and Pocky, though.

asians have nothing to do with this virus, using them as your punching bag and showing your internalized racism is certainly not helping

5 Likes

Exactly. Just because the first cases started there, doesn’t mean they caused it.

1 Like

a lot of people are probably very interested to hear an asian person’s take on this, so i’ll answer my own question.

the racism has (obviously) had a terrible impact on me and my mental health. i mostly only go outside for school, but when i go to a more public place, i feel terrified. the worst thing i remember getting was just some dirty looks here and there, but i never know who’s going to physically hurt me. so, i cover my face in an attempt to hide my very obvious ethnicity. you know what i am also scared of? coughing in public. i swear, i’m always holding back when i feel the need to clear my throat. i already have a throat disease that makes my cough sound unhealthy, so a racist person would most likely assume i have the virus because i’m east asian AND i coughed. all of that might sound dumb, but it’s the honest truth.

4 Likes

:smiley: er… I know you can’t help what you think is funny, but I’d never heard that term now and it kinda offends me as a Chinese person :((

9 Likes

So you have a liking towards East Asian culture, I would say. Asian culture is too broad of a term since Asia has multiple of cultures. Its a continent for a reason.

4 Likes

Sorry! I know I shouldn’t say that.

this thread is more about normalized racism towards asians in general, which resulted in people blaming east asians for the coronavirus

it doesn’t add up

1 Like

yeah, there’s east asian culture, then south asian culture, then middle eastern culture, or even southeaster asian culture

5 Likes

Yeah- I did not ask for all these struggles as a POC :skull: I honestly find it extremely odd when people say they want to be asian because it just sounds like people only want to be me as an aesthetic without actually considering the struggles POC face in America-

7 Likes

No.

8 Likes

Kung-flu is not funny because it’s racist

5 Likes

I know…I feel like sh!t.

1 Like

Welp if that makes you feel like sh*t, imagine the racism and discrimination asian people feel when they’re made fun of by that line :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

You know you can erase that text instead, right? I’m not trying to be offensive to you but it’s really insensitive, and I know you’ve heard this a lot. But can I suggest you edit and erase that to prevent further reactions of being offended? ^~^

8 Likes

somebody from my school made a joke about that word (basically calling covid the “kung-flu”) in front of a bunch of people, and everyone laughed. i was so angry and hurt.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that, really. :// I know exactly how it feels to be made fun of for being asian and have nobody stand up for it because it’s so normalized

7 Likes

People just like to blame other people or things for something wicked that they couldn’t control even without the proof of anything. It’s disgusting.

7 Likes

i did not cause a virus because i have asian ancestors. nature doesn’t work like that at all.

6 Likes