Discussion: Coronavirus Racism

They act like a virus can tell the difference between race and ethnicity

5 Likes

they do be clowns :clown_face:

4 Likes

educate yourself and use this as an opportunity to change

and racism towards asians is really normalized so I hope you’ve learned what can be considered offensive

7 Likes

I find it absolutely disgusting that people are blaming East Asians for the pandemic. Stop blaming a certain race and wash your freaking hands! Not that difficult!

Don’t you worry, he’s no longer the president. Don’t get me started on Trump supporters, they do my head in (British slang for annoy me)! Especially when they give you s**t for disagreeing with them, no joke. When it comes to politics or certain topics that may be controversial, I stay neutral.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s gross when people fetishise certain races. I’m like, “Chill, we’re humans too!”

2 Likes

It isn’t necessary. I think people are trying so desperately to blame the whole pandemic on something, that they choose to blame an entire race. Which is ridiculous. Now, I don’t keep much track on how the virus started and why.
But some people should be reminded that China is the area the virus started in, not the race.

5 Likes

I hate racism. People can be so rude and insensitive, and it makes me sad to hear about how East Asians have been treated since the Coronavirus began.

However, I do want to make a small observation about something that was said on this thread: What’s wrong with saying that you love someone’s culture? I feel honored when people say they love my culture, and I love and appreciate other cultures aside from mine.

11 Likes

I would love to know this as well. Whenever people say they love or admire the cultures I’m apart of, I always feel happy.
And also I do very much love Asian cultures and values (among others) – not in a fetish way but more of an appreciative admiration. It’s a very beautiful culture.

10 Likes

This is the line here. You can admire my culture, and you can tell me how beautiful you find it. I don’t find anything wrong with it either. However, in a case where someone not only fetishizes East Asians, but also only acknowledges East Asian culture and then claims to love it because it’s an aesthetic, that’s where it’s offensive. If you love a culture and only associate “Mochi and pocky” to Asian culture that’s offensive.

If someone is going to say they love a culture, from a continent, they should acknowledge it respectfully. the line to whether it’s offensive is if you’re going to admire East Asian culture like as if it’s better than other Asian cultures, and then stereotype it with “mochi and pocky”

I don’t feel comfortable with people only acknowledging East Asian culture, neither do I feel comfortable with people seeing it only as an aesthetic

11 Likes

neither do I

and besides, there just is more to asia than east asia and more to the world than asia

7 Likes

you can appreciate culture without weirdly stereotyping it

7 Likes

There’s only one person to blame for all this hostility. He’s fat and orange and obsessed with a wall

1 Like

I love it when someone expresses their love for my culture, but it feels weird when it’s generalized to “Asian” culture. Asia is a continent, not a culture. There are countless beautiful cultures that exist in Asia and they all differ from each other. When someone generalizes them, it feels degrading because they’re mashing them up into one universal culture. It’s like saying oh, I love North American culture. Which part of North America? Native American culture? Canadian culture? American culture?

11 Likes

same here. someone on this thread said they like asian culture. just asian culture. so i sent them a message, asking which one they like specifically. they said japanese culture, which isn’t even the only culture in east asia. this is why people need to be specific when they mention an entire continent and its cultures. for example, if i said i like african culture, that would be too broad because africa has many countries.

5 Likes

cowboy hats and southern accents

3 Likes

Yes, it just sounds extremely odd. It also sounds stereotypical, to stereotype one culture and call it “asian culture” there are so many cultures, such as Vietnamese culture, Chinese culture, Nepali culture, Thai, Cambodian, Malaysian, and not all these countries share the same thing

7 Likes

OMG HOWDY DAISY HOW YA DOIN GIRL

3 Likes

BRIMSTONE

3 Likes

No-

Breech :kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m going to work on learning about those countries. I was actually considering making a Vietnamese character and was going to ask for your help.