Discussion: Dreads/Dreadlocks

Ok, so in light of other povs commented below, I’ve decided to update this post to include my most recent stance.

From what I have gathered, there are many hairstyles that are referred to as dreadlocks, despite that not being the correct term for the majority of them.
Hence, what I said in my original post, that anyone can wear them (as long as they have the right hair), is frankly incorrect, specifically because it is such a broad statement, based on misinformed and under-researched views and generalisations.

So:

• Irish ‘dreadlocks’ are really Glibes/gleebs (idk how to spell them cus bing keeps filtering my searches ffs -_-), which is a short cut style at the back of the head, with longer, matted hair at the front.

• Viking ‘dreadlocks’ are not rlly dreadlocks, idk what to call them and it’s rlly only something the warriors wore. They took care of their hair, and if you want to do something akin to them first do research on what they actually look like lol. (I rlly hate how parent controls is limiting half of my searches lmao)

• Polish Plait is something also described as a dreadlock, when in reality it looks more like this:
    Idk if that’s what you’re going for but it too needs research into any cultural sides of it

• There are a number of actual dreadlock styles, all of which have very important cultural aspects to Black people, depending on who their ancestors were. I recommend more intensive research than what I have done so far before even thinking of trying those (reading through the comments and links in them would be a good start).

• All in all, I’m not quite sure where I stand anymore on this debate. :man_shrugging: just thought I’d update the op as I’ve learnt some of my previous terms were disrespectful, so uh yea lol.

Original post - unchanged just so people can reference my original thoughts, which have changed

Alright, so in light of the resent BLM movement, as well as a large amount of personal research and wondering, I wanted to make this discussion, just to see what you guys think, as well as put my own opinion out there.

It is commonly thrown around that dreadlocks on anyone who isn’t Black is cultural appropriation, but is it really? Yes, Black people have faced discrimination for their hair, but does that really make it exclusive to them? Especially if other cultures have also used them in the past.

A quick google search will show this, but I do understand that there could be many points of view on this matter, and I am willing to listen to all of them, provided they are reasonable, and do not contain threats against people who choose to wear this particular hairstyle.

Source 1 - This is from a blog created by a Black woman

In summary, the blog explains that dreadlocks have been around a long time, belonging to countless cultures and civilisations, including cultures containing white people. She concludes by saying that if you wish to try this kind of hair, then you would be best to have a specific reason for doing so, and why that style is important for you.

I like this source - firstly because it is clear, and secondly because it only offers advice, rather than ultimatums :joy: I also agree with a lot of the points, especially the reasons one. Maybe this isn’t a hairstyle to get solely for the purpose of it being pretty, but I think as long as you have a reason, then the hairstyle is appropriate. Maybe the reason is that you admire the way it looks, and want to connect with hairstyles that your ancestors wore. I don’t know your reasons, and frankly I don’t mind, as long as you do research first and understand all the commitments

Source 2 - A blog of some sort

In summary, this blog explains the links between dreadlocks and poc, concluding with the statement that the poster believes everyone should be able to enjoy dreadlocks, due to their uniqueness.

This source is a bit longer than the last one, excluding mentions of greek and celtic dreadlocks, which is fine, as the post was centred more around poc anyway. I agree with majority of it, as the blogger did not say that dreadlocks are exclusive to Black people, rather they are a very important part of their history, which I feel is important to acknowledge, as well as how corporations have reacted to them, and discriminated against people wearing them. The ending I feel is quite fitting, as yes, dreads look amazing on everyone imo, however I am still wondering whether or not they are appropriate on everyone.

Source 3 - A website detailing the history of Vikings and Dreadlocks

I included this source to show that there is a historical aspect of white people (the vikings were Scandinavian, aka white) and dreads.
Yes, they conquered and raided and thieved from various peoples, but that doesn’t make them evil as a culture, as all cultures are guilty of these things, and trying to deny this is just trying to deny history. They cared for their hair, and used dreadlocks, much in the way people today do, to various degrees.

Source 4 - idek what this is, just give it a read ig lmao

Here is something showing the other side of the coin, as well as a more in depth explanation on the depiction of ‘celtic dreadlocks’.
I’m not sure how to get into everything on it, but a summary would be in appears to be a number of commenters debating whether white people should be able to wear dreads. Some were saying that it depends on your hair texture (needs to be curly of some sort or they fall out) while others were just flat out saying no, and yea

Source 5 - A blog (I think) describing the different versions of what we now know as dreadlocks, as well as their original names.

In summary, the blog describes each hairstyle and it’s significance, and I think it did a pretty good job of it. Not every depiction of the hairstyle we now know as dreadlocks is the same, and each culture had their own ways of creating and maintaining them.

CONCLUSION

(This is just my opinion, and everyone is welcome to their own.)
All in all, I personally think that dreadlocks should be a style that anyone can wear, provided they have the hair type that can support it (thick and/or curly is best apparently).
Yes, dreads have a close link with the traumas Black people have been made experience, and yes, I am white, meaning I can’t speak on behalf of Black people, but I don’t think that means that only Black people can wear dreadlocks, or any variation of such. It doesn’t make sense, in my mind.
Dreadlocks are not ‘just’ a hairstyle, but truth be told they are still a hairstyle spanning many cultures, so limiting the availability of it to just one seems wrong, especially as many sources say that it originated in Indian/Buddhist cultures, rather than solely African ones.

Uh so yea, I’m willing to listen to other povs, as long as they don’t attack me for my opinion, as I have done research and am happy to listen if people provide more, or an explanation for something I may have misinterpretted.

Small off topic bit cus I found something funny

In English folklore, fairy-locks were thought to have been the result of fairies knotting and tangling the hair of sleeping children at nights.
This came out of Source 5, and I just want to say this:
My dad used to tell me this all the time when I had long hair
When I was much younger (maybe 5-9yrs old), I would wake up with my hair all matted around my head, and as my dad brushed it out he would tell me how the fairies had played in it all night long, messing it up for the morning. It’s not particularly important to this conversation, just something funny.

@Discussions - what do you guys think about this?

9 Likes

Ok all I have to say is that non-black people can´t have dreads and no there is no argument in this.

Rasta is only for black people.

Now you might be asking about some traditions with ¨dreads¨ does aren´t actually dreads and if you look closer you would see a clear different, for example the indian jata (that is the name right?) is way different from black dreads and the matted white hair is way different from dreads.

6 Likes

What??? That isn´t the origin of dreadlocks and like I said that is dreads (this isn´t me attacking you)

Besides dreadlocks are natural to black people in a way and so it couldn´t have originated from there. Our hair naturally locs and there have because of this they are probably a bazzilion year old black people in history with dreads.

4 Likes

Hmmm I don’t have any specific reason for having it :full_moon_with_face::sweat_smile:
I just have it so I don’t need to be combing my hair which is a life saver :partying_face:

4 Likes

Other than your hair naturally locs

3 Likes

this is actually inaccurate as I explained before. Black people don´t have/need a reason for doing so with dreads as our hair naturally locs

5 Likes

They rad sm :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Also please don´t refer to matted hair/jats as dreadlocks this is innacurate and sometimes a part of colonialism there is a clear difference.

Jats look more like ropes if you look at it closely and I think that´s beautiful the hair and culture is beautiful but it´s not dreadlocks and will never be dreadlocks

Honestly I am tired of black hair being compares to others, yes non black people can have ¨afros¨ but it´s different than black people´s, no non blacks can´t have dreadlocks this isn´t a debate and yes they are some cultures that braid their hair but it´s different from black people box braids/braiding style

5 Likes

Yeah I saw this in researching too as well. :sweat_smile::brown_heart:
I’m just neutral about the whole thing because sometimes there are persons calling locs, dirty, ugly or however they wanna describe it and it’s really hurtful to see that happening to persons. If other cultures wear it, they should do it respectfully.

5 Likes

which would be your reason? It’s something your hair naturally does, and that’s reason enough, which I appreciate :man_shrugging:

This is from google, idk if it helps lol:

Rasta, or Rastafarian, hair is more commonly referred to as dreadlocks . While Rasta hair is worn as a symbol of devotion, the wearing of dreadlocks is not limited to the Rastafarian culture.

Yea prolly :man_shrugging: - There are a lot of things that are all commonly referred to as dreads, despite all of them having different names in origin. That’s partly what this topic is discussing, that we should acknowledge the different kinds of dreads and their real names, rather than just calling them all appropriation

Yes, and there are others who’s hair has been put in something similar (but different) to Black locs throughout history also

Should probably update the original thread - I am aware that the different kinds of hairstyles commonly called dreads despite not being them all have

yee, that was the point I was trying to make
I don’t mind who wears what, as long as they research it and are respectful

In context to you all, I don’t plan to ever get dreads, a) because it doesn’t suit the hairstyles I like for myself, and b) because I have very fine hair and they just wouldn’t work XD
This was just a topic I’ve been wondering about, especially because of the controversy surrounding it

3 Likes

@Kristi I’ll get round to updating the original post at some point, to include your points about different hairstyles not being dreads, but commonly referred to as dreads despite that fact

2 Likes

Yeah jata and the rest aren´t dreads there is only one type of dreads and only black people can have them.

Those are not dreads like I said before. There is not different types of dread locks! Dread locks is something only for black people and our dreads looks way different so no. Jat or matted hair aren´t dreads do not refer to them as such please and thank you.

2 Likes

I never said wearing of dreadlocks is limited to rasta?

3 Likes

Thank you!

Jats and the others are not dreadlocks and people need to learn

3 Likes

i have heard saying “dreads” “dreadlocks” is offensive and harmful, as they were called this because of the word “dreadful” by people who thought this hairstyle was dreadful and unattractive :confused: so i have been refraining from saying dreads/dreadlocks but “locs” instead. is this true? what should i be saying?

6 Likes

I never mentioned anything about rasta, so I figured that’s what you meant, sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Tbd you can call dreadlocks I don´t really care but some people do prefer the name locs

4 Likes

ooo thank you for letting me know!

4 Likes

if u wear them without being apart of the black disapora i hope ur hair falls out completely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: in fact dont be shy, do it again so all your hair can fall out

4 Likes

ISDLDLDD :sob: :sob: I DIED-

1 Like