Discussion: Dress Code

I know right. I laugh so hard whenever I watch this video because this is so accurate about children these days (not you of course since you’re very sensible). But it’s sickening that children & teenagers are over sexualised.

2 Likes

Blue polo with khakis.

In my final school (for 6th form) we didn’t have a dress code at all. That’s fine! You’re 16-18 then! You’re treated like an adult and expected to act like one!

As long as the teachers don’t start moaning about how we dress on a hot day (as long as they’re fine with shorts that aren’t too short), I’m happy

5 Likes

That’s true. I went to a sixth form college myself and wore whatever I want but the problem is that I used to get dress code by my parents when I was college because they didn’t like it when I wore tank tops to college because apparently, I’d get all the male attention (I still wore tank tops not because I wanted the attention, only wore it because I want to). I hate it when my dad used to get bitchy when I wear leggings with dresses; it’s not like I was advertising my vagina to the whole world for crying out loud.

2 Likes

Ahh okies, I guess it’s blue & green?

1 Like

No. Khakis are like a light brownish color. I guess in London it’s different?

Ooops my bad. Is it like chinos?

I guess you can say that

I think dress codes are great.

They make you look more formal and properly dressed for school/work. I really don’t get why girls say they exist because “boys will get distracted”. Who even created this reason?

Dress codes exist for a reason, not just because the school is evil and sexist and wants to punish you for wearing your teeny crop-top and short-shorts. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

As somebody who’s went to a dress code school and non dress code school, there are definitely ups and downs about each of them.

I personally don’t like dress codes because I like the freedom of being expressive, I guess? Idk.

The bad thing is that so many people criticize others for what they wear, and it’s honestly ridiculous. Also, the whole “ boys are distracted “ thing is really dumb, and hasn’t happened at my school.

A good thing about uniforms are that you don’t have to choose what you’re going to wear each morning since you have a specific set of clothing. They’re not usually comfortable, but the school becomes more unified, so.

4 Likes

My former uniform was a navy blue shirt with khaki pants

True that.

Plus, kids shouldn’t be sexualising themselves when they’re in school.

2 Likes

Oh okies.

1 Like

Well, many schools in my country don’t have any specific school uniforms. We only wear a shirt with the school’s symbol on it. The school shirt’s color doesn’t really matter. (Where I come from ,people look different from each other :wink:)
However, there are orthodox (haredi) schoold that do have uniforms. Colors: only-girls schools’ students usually wear a long sleeve azure shirt and a long black-blue skirt, whereas the only-boys schools’ students wear a long sleeve white shirt and a black trouser.

2 Likes

At my old school we had a pretty strict dress code and I was afraid of being dress coded so I always wore a baggy sweat shirt and jeans, for those who don’t know, I live in Florida and I had to walk home. (See my problem? lol) I was pretty short (I still am, 4’11.) but I have long arms so the fingertip test wouldn’t ever work for me. I remember every time a girl got dress coded the teacher would say that what they were wearing was a distraction. Every. Single. Time. And the whole time I was thinking “Then how about instead of telling us what to wear, you teach the guys self control”. I know this can be hard, I have 4 older brothers so I really do know, but when the girls got dress coded, they weren’t even wearing anything short. I remember when my friend got dress coded for wearing leggings even though she had shorts over them. Like really, come one, nobody was even looking at her differently :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It can definitely be taken too far, though.

One of the schools I went to? The uniform cost £600 at least! And we needed to look the same in every aspect of life.

• They had pink shirts with no proper collars so that we had to buy them from the school shop.
  • They had specific school socks and PE socks we needed to buy from the school shop.
  • There was a backpack that we were all supposed to have without exception so we all look the same… from the school shop.
  • We had PE socks, trousers, shorts, skorts, tshirts, jackets and rain jackets. We needed to get all from… you guessed it… the school shop.
  • We had to wear our blazers out of the school entrance. Like, even on the hottest day, we had to have an announcement from the headmaster just to be allowed not to wear the blazer out of the entrance and down the street (you could only take it off once you were out of sight of the school).
  • We had to wear specific earrings: silver or gold ball studs. As well as that, they had a specific size for the religious necklace that we were allowed. I wasn’t Christian back then so I had the hindu Om sign around my neck and a teacher thought it was a necklace that said “30” for some reason and told me off! If you’re going to be so strict with your rules, at least know what you’re looking for woman!
  • We had shirts that were cut un a specific way that meant that we couldn’t, and weren’t allowed, to tuck them in. If we did, we’d be in trouble because it meant they didn’t fit properly.
  • We had a specific length for our skirts.
  • We had a school jacket that we were all supposed to wear. Guess where that came from? The school shop! YAAY
  • Of course, we needed school-approved, black, leather shoes.
  • We weren’t allowed to have our hair down unless it was shorter than shoulder length and the hair bands we used weren’t allowed to be any colour other than black or our hair colour.

We all had a uniform card that we had to keep with us like a license. We’d get checked daily to make sure our uniform was spot on. If not, we’d get a strike. 3 strikes on the uniform card was a detention.

5 Likes

In my later years, I was a prefect. I used to smuggle extra uniform cards so everyone could have one for each teacher who was checking our uniform :joy: no detentions in my class

2 Likes

Also, if we had more than 2 plaits in our hair, it would be counted as having our “hair down” so we’d have to tie it up.

2 Likes

I kind of get why people break dress code rules. I guess peer pressure plays a part…
My sister once got bullied by the other girls because she didn’t roll up her skirt :woman_facepalming::man_facepalming::heart:

5 Likes

That’s actually ridiculous. Who cares about that kind of thing?!

4 Likes