Discussion: Illegal Downloading of Music

Downloading music illegal is quite a big topic. Do you think it’s an issue? Should it have consequences for the people who download illegal, or for the companies who offer to download, or both or neither? Or do you think there’s another, better, way to stop people from downloading? Or should we just make it legal to download music?

Lot of questions in my mind. At least people who download music shouldn’t be punished for that in my opinion, in not all cases it’s clear that you are downloading illegal if it are just apps you find easily in the app store. The responsibility is with the app store and the developers tbh, they should offer illegal services in a place you expect to download legal apps. However I think there are better ways to prevent people from downloading, provide better alternatives. Both Spotify and YouTube aren’t ideal in my opinion. Spotify is either too expensive or only online and you can’t choose a specific song. Youtube is only online, and then you can’t even do anything else besides listening to music. Things like that lead to people seeking for other solutions and they go to the app store to find an illegal app to download music. That’s the real issue in my opinion, and not the people who download.

11 Likes

I don’t like when people illegally download music but I don’t think it should be punnished by law. I just don’t like the concept. The artists I like put effort into the music they make so they deserve some money for that.

Most bands make money from merch and concerts these days instead of the actual thing itself.

Honestly I won’t yell at anybody for it but I do dislike it.

3 Likes

But that’s just me

I buy music

1 Like

I don’t get why they illegally download it when there are apps you can get full of free music such as Spotify, Damen and loads more

I used to download music illegally when I was a teen. Simple. I didn’t have my own money, so I did what I did. I’ve been buying occasional tape (lol), then CD’s, but it was rare. I also don’t really feel any shame in it, although I’m not saying it’s good too. Now I pay for Spotify plus Youtube premium, and I gotta say it’s more comfy than constantly downloading new songs. I think it’s way more simple now, than it was 10-15 years ago when I was a teen.
I still buy CD’s sometimes, but it’s more for a car.

4 Likes

I don’t think there should be consequences but it is unfair.

1 Like

What if you can’t buy music though?

3 Likes

I’ve only ever downloaded music off of YouTube for school projects because I needed the song and there was no other way to get it, but otherwise, I use Apple Music. I can get why people would opt to download the music illegally. Apps like Spotify and Apple Music where you have to get a subscription in order to use the app to its full potential might be too expensive for some people.

4 Likes

For the songs you send me I can see why that would be a problem

Alot of them aren’t official releases

I don’t buy singles only albums so I stream singles.

3 Likes

Same.
Was music streaming even a thing back in the day?
Lol I remember as a kid sitting by the radio ready to hit “record” on the tape player to record a good song when it came on lol

3 Likes

omg same xDDD also recording music videos on VCR xD

2 Likes

They’re actually quite rare outside of Japan

I have to buy physical copies/vinyl

3 Likes

I downloaded music illegaly for my own personal use, so when I got grounded, I’d take the CD I burned my music onto it and put it in my radio player.
I don’t really do it anymore, however, I feel kinda bad :sob: I’ll be super biased on this, but it should totally be the companies fault.

3 Likes

Bump.

When I was younger, I downloaded music illegally, mainly because I didn’t want to spend money. Now I use spotify free on my computer, since the one on my phone sucks. If I’m using my phone, or the song I want to listen to isn’t available on spotify, I just watch the YouTube video.

YouTube probably isn’t the best way to listen to music, as you can’t listen to it everywhere.

• What’s your opinion on the Internet Archive site?
  • Would you ever download music illegally?
1 Like

Oi

Bump

I’m going to use the discussion tag on this because it is an interesting topic

@Discussions

4 Likes

Don’t do it kids! The artists work hard on their music, you’re basically robbing them…

2 Likes

Meggy Moo will arrest you

1 Like

That’s true. Some artists rely on the royalties they get from people buying their music.

Especially now they can’t tour and get revenue from that

1 Like