Discussion: Internalised Misogyny

I was trying to look for a thread with this discussion but it looks like there isn’t one about this topic. But anyway, let’s talk about internalised misogyny; I’m not a feminist or an anti-feminist (I do not have a problem if you are a feminist, I can respect that) but let’s be honest, anti-feminists are no better than feminists, they all claim to despise.

Not so long ago (around 2015), I used to think internalised misogyny is a lot of nonsense as I was very anti-feminist without realising that (I was 21 years old and stupid) as I was brainwashed by some idiots I thought they were my friends but they turn out to be such misogynistic fools!
Around 2017, I slowly started to realise that anti-feminism was getting ridiculous as I had mentioned that the anti-feminist women I’ve came across were extremely misogynistic i.e. they would shame women like myself for not wanting to have children or get married and be a housewife. They seem to have this “I’m not like the other girls” mentality and they seem to always hate on their own gender, just to get male attention (these kind of women are Pick Mes, I can’t stand them). Few years later, I started to call internalised misogyny ‘girl hate’ as I wasn’t too sure if it was politically correct and of course, I slowly started to realise that I was completely brainwashed from this stuff.

This is why I am no longer right wing, I consider myself as a centrist. I care more about common sense and logic.

Anyway, I’d like to know what are your thoughts on this.

• Do you think internalised misogyny is real? Yes/No? Why?
  • Is the term internalised misogyny, politically correct?
3 Likes

I think that internalized mysoginy is definitely a real thing (especially since I, and many other people I know have struggled with it). I’m not sure if I’d call it politically correct because idk if that has a positive or negative connotation in this situation? Tbh it’s a bit embarassing but idk what political correctness really, truly means :skull::skull::skull::clown_face:

1 Like

Added tags :blossom:

Okay, I just realise that it has nothing to do with political correctness. I was afraid to use that term to describe the girl hate that goes on. It’s very common in today’s society, especially when they do this nonsense to please the person they like.

1 Like

I actually agree with that. Girls with internalized mysoginy or pick-me girls can behave very poorly towards other girls, and tell them awful things just to try to impress men which is gross.

3 Likes

And half of the time, the men don’t even care!
But still, they continue shxtting on other girls for attention.
Girl, if you want attention, go to other girls. You don’t know how many compliments you’ll get.

1 Like

Ugh I know I hate that so much :skull:
It’s so awful, I wish we all got along better, and no one felt the need to gang up on or pit women against each other.

2 Likes

Whenever I hear women hating on other women, I’m like- why?! What use is that? Why are you doing that?

1 Like

IKKKKKK
Imagine a world where women just support and empower each other :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

THAT WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUEEE

2 Likes

World would look like this :sneezing_face:

1 Like

Omg-
IT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER IF EVERYONE WOULD SUPPORT EVERY GENDER

2 Likes

OMG TRUE
If everyone supported and empowered each other :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

There are gonna be haters too.
You can’t convince everyone :pensive:

2 Likes

I know, that’s what I hate :tired_face::tired_face:

2 Likes

Of course it’s real. As much as I hate it, it even affects me sometimes, since I live in a pretty misogynistic country. I always correct myself though.

It just annoys me when women just go against other women to impress men. What do you gain from that? Even those female “men’s rights” activists, that mock feminism and think it should be avoided. Like, what’s there to avoid? You getting equal rights?? It’s those ‘not like other girls’ girls, who think other women only care about makeup and guys, I’d blame the media and society for giving such a toxic image.

It’s just so deeply ingrained in society, and needs to be stopped. Gender doesn’t even matter

1 Like

Tell me about it! Funny how these misogynistic females think they’re special by hating on their own gender, it’s freaking ridiculous! Guys usually stay out of this rubbish because they would think it’s not cute at all which I don’t blame them. Being mean to your friends ain’t cute, it’s toxic! We need to stop glorifying disrespect.

I’m 50/50 on this one because there are girls that would insult you for no freaking reason. I’ve heard girls call me a sl*t for wearing clothes that I look and feel good in, they act like this because they think that dressing modestly is better than wearing revealing clothes. Sis, what I wear isn’t any of your business, it doesn’t determine on my behaviour.

Facts! Honestly, I can’t stand these pictures where the woman holds up a paper saying rubbish like “I don’t need feminism because…”. The anti-feminist movement is very gynocentric if you think about it. How? Because weak-minded men let them walk over them, these women do this because they want to get laid (pardon my French).

I know some of us were Pick Mes back in the days (I know I was) but thank goodness I grew up and looked at the flaws of the right wing of the spectrum. Right wingers are just as bad as left wingers! This is why I don’t f*ck with either side anymore!

Don’t claim to be against misogyny when you’re perpetuating it.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s really gross, not cute at all. I don’t see reason to be like that at all. I used to be a pick me girl as well but I’m VERY glad I grew out of that, EW!!!

1 Like

For sure! It’s childish to pick on other girls for not conforming to the ‘definition’ of femininity.

I’ve noticed that when you hit puberty (I was 10 years old and was in primary school), the girls used to pick on me for not conforming to the typical South Asian profile. You know, they expected me to like traditional South Asian clothing and like weddings when that was never my scene at all (I still don’t like it).

Girls I went to secondary school put pressure on me to get a makeover because apparently no boys would want me for being ‘ugly’. Honestly, the girls were horrible! They all picked on me for liking football (soccer).

1 Like

Ew, I was the opposite when I was like 10. I used to think that femininity was stupid and that it was better to be Not Like Other Girls™

As if playing videogames, wearing baggy clothes or learning programming made me special- lmaooo no, and I also tried to be friends with guys instead of dating them “like other girls”. I thought girls were supposed to be obsessed with guys, and the reason would be media representation

I realized I’ve been ignoring a lot of the misogyny, because it’s just what cool people do, or something??

1 Like