DISCUSSION: Is asexuality part of the LGBTQ+ community?

Some say the “A” in LGBTQIA+ stands for “Ally”. Others say it stands for “Asexual”, “Aromantic” and “Agender”.

I want to hear your opinions, what do you think? I’ve heard a whole lot of mixed thoughts, so I decided to bring it here.

A few questions:

1. Do you think asexuality is part of the LBTQ+ community?
  2. Do you consider heteromantic asexuals to be LGBTQ+?
  3. What about an aromantic heterosexual?
  4. Do you think the “A” in LGBTQIA+ includes allies?

Share your thoughts and discuss here. :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

9 Likes

Asexuality is absolutely part of the LGBTQ+ community, no question.

Yep, I consider it. Whether the majority does? I think so, I could be wrong.

Again, I’d say yes. But as for the majority? It’s debatable. A lot of fringe LGBT people on Tumblr and the like would say ‘if you have straight sex you’re just straight’ which is. Wrong.

No, I’d say the A is an umbrella for Aromantic, Asexual, Agender, etc.

Honestly, the people who try and say any one subset of the LGBTQ+ community shouldn’t be there are usually straight? Not gonna lie. They usually just don’t get that not having the desire for a relationship or sex is still different from the norm, and is definitely still seen as weird. So these people do need the support of a community like this.

Just my opinion on it though

6 Likes

Of course it is. From what I read (a lot) about LGBTQIA+ and understood from it, asexuality is a part of the LGBTQ+ community. So, yes.

I think so (?). I can’t say for sure :woman_shrugging:t4:. But, if you ask me, I would say yes.

Again, I believe so. But, I cannot say for sure, because of the “heterosexual” part. On the other hand, there’s a chance there are aromantic heterosexual.

Maybe. I think it can be: Asexual, Aromantic, Agender, Ally (that’s from what I read, but I might be wrong (?) )

I changed into “maybe”, because at first I didn’t see that you wrote “allies” and thought that you wrote instead “…others”.

4 Likes

@Mysterious_Tea, may I ask you something?

3 Likes

Sure :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I don’t understand why “ally” would be the A in LGBTQIA+. “Ally” isn’t a gender identity or sexuality. That’s just stupid to me.

16 Likes

I hope not. LGBT+ should be a safe space for marginalized sexualities/genders. Allies are appreciated but they don’t need an acronym.

6 Likes

From what I saw, you are asexual and aromantic yourself. So, my question is: how did you feel when you first figured out that you are asexual and aromantic? :thinking:

5 Likes

I still don’t understand how “ally” has to do with LGBTQ+ community. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Init! Isn’t it everybody’s duty to be a decent human being? That’s like calling me a ‘house n****r’ just because I’m not racist towards white people, that doesn’t make me an ally to them.

6 Likes

I guess I felt…different, in a way. Like I’d figured out why I wasn’t interested in sex or relationships. I’ve had asexual friends, but never met another aromantic in person, so it was kind of awkward when people tried setting me up, or asking about dating, that kind of stuff.

When I told my parents, their first reaction was “asexuality isn’t real. Aromantic is even bigger nonsense”. So yeah…:neutral_face::blue_heart:

8 Likes

Agreed, it’s stupid.

Some people think it stands for allies…mostly people who aren’t very educated on these kinds of things. :heart:

6 Likes

By the way, if it was up to me, I think I wouldn’t consider “allies” as a part of the LGBTQIA+ word.
Forgot to say it.

3 Likes

Definetly.

Yup.

Still yup.

Personally, I don’t think so. While allies are appreciated, being an ally isn’t a sexuality, therefore it would be pointless for the A in LGBTQIA+ to include allies in my opinion :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

An ally is a straight and/or cis person who supports LGBTQ+ rights.

But if we start including straight and cis people in the acronym, why don’t we just say “everyone”? There’s a lot more syllables in LGBTQ+

7 Likes

Yeah, doesn’t make sense at all.

2 Likes

Saying everyone is on the same level socially brings its own issues too. Pretending inequality doesn’t exist is extremely reductionist, considering people aren’t socially and politically equal at the moment.

So no. There shouldn’t be an S in LGBT, and allies shouldn’t be included in the acronym, because they aren’t the disadvantaged people

4 Likes

Wait wtf. Since when was Allies apart of the “A”? :joy:

3 Likes

Who knows?:woman_shrugging:t4: Or who has even decided that allies is a part of “A”? :woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

sits crisscrossed
Many people know that I’m a hetero-asexual. I’m going to be honest I think for the time being alot of people will not identify hetero-aces as a part of LGTBQ+. And it’s mainly the hetero part. I identify as part of A.V.E.N. which I feel that as a hetero-ace, I can worry about not being accepted. I was never really fully accepted into the LGTBQ community because of my heteroness. But I don’t hold any grudges or anything. I’m fine being an ally.

I don’t think it stands for allies, that doesn’t quite make send to me, but that’s me.

7 Likes