DISCUSSION: Names

I saw this on the Episode forums, and I thought it would be a great idea to hold this discussion here.

What’s in a name? Whether it’s a name for your characters (both story and RP), or a name for your (future or existing) children, names are very personal and important.

So, what makes you choose a certain name and reject others? Meaning, cultural or religious significance, sound, relation to a loved one? And what makes you reject certain names? There’s this meme about how teaching ruins a lot of possible baby names when you have an awful student with a particular name. But this isn’t always true, because later on, you might have an amazing student with the ‘ruined’ name, and then it isn’t ruined anymore.

My opinions:
I don’t usually go by meaning of names. If I hate the way it sounds and looks, I don’t care if it has the most beautiful meaning— I’m not giving it to a child or favorite character. Sound and spelling is important to me. It has to look and sound good.

So, a few questions.

1. Would you name a child/character after a deceased loved one?
  2. What factors matter to you when choosing a name?
  3. Does religion and culture have any influence on the names you choose?
  4. What makes you reject a name?
  5. Do you like your name, or do you wish to change it?
  6. What matters more to you---- meaning, sound/spelling, or personal significance (the name of a loved one)?
  7. Can people ‘ruin’ a name?
14 Likes

If I like the name yes! I do think that is really beautiful and special but it wouldn’t be my first option.

I just like names that sound pretty, the meaning behind them doesn’t matter to me much unless it’s something bad!
No!

I’ve mentioned this so many times, I don’t! I wanted to change it for the longest time but now I don’t. I’m starting to like it.

How it sounds!

Oh, yes!! There are so many names I avoid because of some people. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I would definitely name a child after a deceased loved one. As for character… it would have to be if the character had some traits in common with the loved one.

I really love trying to find names that haven’t been used before! Sometimes I search all roleplays when I’ve found a name I like to see if it’s been used. (Maybe that’s a bit weird haha). But within that, if the character has a specific ethnic background, that’s mentioned, then I would look for names or surnames that are common in that ethnic group.

I think I kind of said part of my answer for that in the answer above, but religion doesn’t really have any influence.

If it is overused, on roleplays, in life or even just in my head. Sometimes I can look at a name and think ‘that’s a really good one’, and while I’m trying to find a good surname I would keep repeating the name and eventually wear it out.

Yeah I like it but I know it’s quite common. I don’t think I would ever change it, though.

Definitely not meaning. I don’t look at meanings ever (or maybe I do sometimes after picking the name). But I think the sound/spelling is of most importance to me.

100%, as can TV shows or movies.

3 Likes

Completely, 100% agree! And if it happens to mesh perfectly and you get a name that means something important to the character and also sounds rad then you have hit the jackpot

Absolutely, in fact, I have!

The sound, the culture at times and of course the language!

Depends on the character :wink:

Usually if it doesn’t sound good or fit the character :joy:

I like my name, my mum liked my name so no. I’d never change it :hearts:

Personal significance is important but like. Names are just words, which are just sounds. Sound is obviously the most integral part

Yes

1 Like

Hmmm maybe, I’m named after 2 dead relatives myself so I probably would

Does it sound rad? :sunglasses: Jk but I feel like it has to fit the character.

It can do depending on what my story is about, where it is set, when it is set etc etc

Lack of radness

Oh I love the name Eleanor!

Hmmm :thinking: I don’t really know I guess the sound? :joy:

Not sure, let’s ask Ajax!

3 Likes

Dammit, Ajax

2 Likes

3 Likes

:joy: :joy:

1 Like
  1. Maybe? Probably not, but maybe as a middle name
  2. Do I like the way the name sounds, do I think it reflects what’s being named?
  3. Yes! Especially for characters, I like finding more unusual names from the culture where they’re from
  4. The meaning of the name is terrible, too hard to pronounce, the name brings up bad memories
  5. I’m not really a fan of my name, but it’s been with me for so long I don’t even know where to begin with changing it
  6. Personal significance and sound/spelling are highest, because meaning only matters insofar as you’re not cursing your child to misery or something to me
  7. Yep! There are tons of names out there, so I’m not choosing one that makes me think of someone I hate

Depends on the name
Maybe a middle name
Don’t want to torture a kid with an old lady’s name✌🏾

Meaning, How it fits, and how the name sounds in general and together with the last name.

Not at all

If it sucks

I used to want to change it because it’s quite the popular name, but I love it now. So no.

Meaning sound and spelling definitely

1 no, im jus not into that
2 I LOVE THIS QUESTION, ok so name meaning, reputation (which kinda spoils question 7), vibe of name, popularity
3 sometimes actually
4 diminutives are a fat NO, bad name meanings like “bitter”, i know somebody with that name, if it sounds ugly, also, the name should b timeless and not only fit for an elderly person or a baby
5 i love my name alot
6 1 & 3
7 yes but their names usually have bad meaning anyway

i mean you can always f*ck up the spelling

Not quite sure about that. If I like the name, yes why not? If I don’t, probably not.

I kinda grew up in a culture where names are supposed to have a special meaning. Mostly a reference to God. Besides that, I obviously have to like the name.

Kinda yeah.

If I don’t like the meaning of the name. But also if the name is already very common. I like to choose names that are quite unique. Nothing wrong with names that are widespread. Uncommon names become common eventually.

Yeah, I do like my name! There are a lot of shorter versions of my name. Since it’s two names combined to make one.

Oof. Equally important.

Definitely, yes.

1 Like

my personal opinion

1 Like

Maybe, but most likely not… maybe only if it were a really beautiful name

Probably the way it sounds and if its hard to pronounce or anything like that. I also try and match it with the FC…

Not really for religion, but if someone is from a more unique background I try and give them more of a unique name

Names that are hard to say, very common, if its overused in roleplays

gosh idk anymore, ive hated my name for the longest time and im just slowly starting to like it because theres not much i can do about it to change

No I definitely dont go by meaning, but if it sounds good and looks its a go for me. I dont care if the name has like the best meaning but it just sounds weird and doesnt roll off the toungue, thats a no go for me.

For me, yes. There are so many people that have ruined names for me that i dont think i would ever name a kid/character that

1 Like

Dude you can just change it

1 Like

mmmm yeahhh but like, I dont know any other names I would want my name to be

1 Like

Ah
I do
But I also like my name
So I’ll just have to have kids :eyes:

mhmmm

maybe i should just change it to Ryleigh :wink::joy:

1 Like