Discussion: The Term "African American"

I think the screenshot says my opinion on this. I have noticed so many people use the term so vaguely and incorrectly. :roll_eyes: Annoying.

10 Likes

That’s stupidity.

Doesn’t African-American mean you’re the descendant of African parents/grandparents or ancestors?

6 Likes

Yes it does but people keep using it as if it means you’re mixed with white and black. I have seen it a lot.

5 Likes

How is that even possible though?

2 Likes

It’s kinda funny that people actually make this mistake. But not surprising, tbh

2 Likes

Especially when the black community makes this mistake. African Americans themselves too.

3 Likes

It’s probably because they think what I do: it’s stupid to call black peoples African Americans if you’re not calling white people European Americans

7 Likes

Who is the person that said that African American means biracial :roll_eyes: ? Because it’s completely not true.

4 Likes

Perhaps they think all Americans are white.

4 Likes

Then, I have news for them: not all the Americans are white! With all due respect, dark-skinned people exist in this world, so who even said that the whites are the only human kind in this world?

2 Likes

Many people have this mindset where white = American. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not something new for me or anyone :expressionless::sweat:

2 Likes

It was the story where this girl was clearly half white and half black and referred to herself as African American.

2 Likes

Agreed! And they wonder why colorism exists.

3 Likes

But, technically, she’s not a complete Afro-American, but she has Afro-American roots, right?

2 Likes

Well that’s dumb.

2 Likes

Yes. Her mother was black but nor her father. He was a white Male. If he was half black, she could have but that isn’t the case.

1 Like

Person: Makes a post on Instagram addressing Colorismand Light skin privilege
Lightskins: OMG! IT DOESNT EXIST! I SWEAR YOU DARK SKINS ARE JUST JEALOUS OF US CAUSE YALL MEN LIKE US MORE1!!11 :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

4 Likes

I could go on about colorism all day. It also contributes to black-on-black crime.

1 Like

If so, then she is not an Afro-American, even if she defines herself as one.

1 Like