Discussion: The Term "African American"

But let’s not go off topic. Maybe you could make a post about it?

2 Likes

I guess.

1 Like

She could say she is half or at times say she is but she made it seem like she was fully African American. Or atleast implied that way.

1 Like

People just need to learn how to word things.

2 Likes

Yeah, instead of changing word’s definitions. There are differences between being fully Afro American and being biracial. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Which is funny considering they will openly call Native Americans ‘Native’ and ‘American’ but not ‘white’ :thinking::thinking::thinking:

And people who call them Indians are perpetuating colonial stupidity so that doesn’t count

3 Likes

I always correct people whenever they call Native Americans “Indian”.

“Excuse me, but the correct term is “Native American”, as they are Natives of the Americas. Though they migrated from India, they are still Native Americans, or Aboriginals.”

5 Likes

If already, where I live, some people think that if a person is dark-skinned, then he’s an Ethiopian - but it is completely not true!
It’s annoying me that people define every dark-skinned person that they see as an Ethiopian. Like, who even said that all the dark-skinned people are Ethiopians? Jeez… :expressionless::unamused:
But, it is only where I live.

3 Likes

That’s so stupid. That’s like calling every person with dreadlocks a Jamaican.

3 Likes

I mean with regards to migration you can take that as far back as you like :sweat_smile: you could theoretically trace it all back to Africa going far enough and you’d be right, but calling Icelandic people African is still stupid.

It was just ol’ Chris Columbus and his colonialist propaganda. Finding the ‘indies’ and then America and going. “oh these people have vaguely dark skin. We made it to India! Steal all the spices! and women woo hoo!”

4 Likes

Correcting them is also a respectable, maybe losing battle. Big respect :clap:

3 Likes

True, true.

“Make them our slaves too!”

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

I mean they were arguably nicer to the African slaves depending on how you measure it. Lifetime of brutal slavery but a chance for your people to live on and potentially have a bright future (in 2039 I guess :roll_eyes:).

Or have your entire race near-wiped out simply for being there. Generally the European colonists just weren’t all that nice to anyone they met

2 Likes

That’s true. Then again there’s the indentured servants too.

2 Likes

I’m probably one of these idiots :sweat:

If “African American” isn’t the right term- then what is?

This is really annoying. Also, when people say “don’t use the term black, call them African Americans.”

Yes, African Americans are black, but calling a black Haitian African American is wrong. :green_heart:

2 Likes

African Americans are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa. The term typically refers to descendants of enslaved black people who are from the United States.

That’s what it means. It’s for people who’s ancestors were enslaved and brought to America. Not people who are mixed or biracial. A biracial or mixed person can be partly African American but can’t be fully, if so, it’ll be using the term incorrectly.

4 Likes

I just think we need to start saying European American, too. Why are white people being treated like indigenous Americans?

8 Likes

lol I don’t call myself African American because I’m not from Africa :thinking:

1 Like