Discussion: The Term "African American"

But you’re descended from Africans. Kings and queens at that!

3 Likes

I mean I’m descended from Africa too, to be fair. We all are >.<

4 Likes

That’s why I refer to myself as black because I don’t really know if I am African American unless by like my mom’s side

3 Likes

Yeah but I’m not from Africa I just call myself black because it makes more sense literally. I feel like it made sense in the past to say African American but now that people actually immigrate from Africa (on purpose) it has a new audience

1 Like

Black does not automatically mean African American. All African Americans are black but not all blacks are African American. Black is a race, African American is an ethnic group.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to reply to you. :skull: I meant in general.

2 Likes

I really hate when people refer to me as African American. It really irritates my soul

4 Likes

Girlllll my old social studies teacher is so weird about that. He use to refer to me as African American. And he was so weird around me when we talked about slavery ya know that week long unite we had on black history month then bounced away from like a disease yeah he would be watching me then while I’m leaving for lunch and laughing. We got done watching a slavery movie sorta and he pulled me to the side and shook my hand and was like:”I’m sorry thank you for being calm through this all.” And I’m like okay? I mean it was a sad movie but like i don’t know who my family heritage really is :rofl: maybe I am from African Ik my great great great grandmother from my mom’s side was a slave. But that’s really is.

5 Likes

:joy::joy:I would’ve accidentally on purpose scratched hands while he shook my hands. What kind of foolishness :joy: I am African but I am not American. I’ve never even set my foot in America so I just really hate when people automatically assume that I’m African American or call me African American even when they know where I’m from. Makes me want to jump through my phone screen and give them one hot slap

3 Likes

:joy::joy: girl I wouldn’t blame you that makes no sense at all! Some just tend to use that term for everyone they come across and it’s so annoying

3 Likes

@sls.exe
@Chocolate_Mama
@ChaoticDeluge

I understand, apologies if I’ve offended anyone. (Some people consider “black” offensive, although I don’t know why.)

5 Likes

Of course not I don’t think you called me that tho? And even if you did it’s okie dokie. I’m also confused on why some don’t like being referred to as black?

2 Likes

I don’t know why either. The world may never know… :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Honestly :joy: I mean I call caucasians, white. Or knowing me I call them vanilla and someone who’s black I call them chocolate

3 Likes

Same.

You are so weird girl :joy: that’s like calling Asians gold

3 Likes

I’m highly weird :rofl: but I love calling people food. Actually I call a lot of things in food references. I even censored cuss words into foods. It’s just my personality is so lighthearted and jokingly I do it with everything now.

not to mention when I was young I literally thought I was made outta chocolate because I was black no lie :rofl:

2 Likes

What would you call a mixed person?

lmao

2 Likes

Carmel or white chocolate

I was a slow child :rofl:

2 Likes

Do I count as caramel :smile: (I’m light-skin btw)

autistic people laugh

3 Likes

Heck yeah I would say so :joy:

snorts I have issues

2 Likes