Discussion: Tragedy

Now in writing, this can be the plot, a trope, a subject, or even a genre. Basically, tragedies are stories in which the protagonist (called a tragic hero) has a “tragic flaw”, meaning something about them that is often a negative trait, that will cause their downfall and often, kill them and most of the time characters around them, whether it is by the hero’s hands or some other force.

So, I’d like to have a discussion about tragic stories and some tips because I’m writing a tragedy but shhh.

• Do you like tragedies? If not, why? If so, why?
  • What are your favorite tragedies?
  • Who are your favorite tragic heroes?
  • What are things you commonly see in tragedies?
  • What are some examples of great tragedies?
  • What would you like to see in a tragedy?
  • Have you ever written a tragedy? If so, what was it about?
  • If not, would you like to?
  • How do you feel about tragedies? Are they realistic?

I’m very interested in your opinions and delighted to hear what you have to say!

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know much about tragedies, only thing I remember is we briefly discussed them for literature but that’s it…

1 Like

I do like them! But only when written properly I’m all for dramatics but sometimes things go too far.

Can’t really name any tragedy stories off the top of my head

Ken Kaneki from tokyo ghoul

Usually the MC will have something dark in their past like a child has died or something

Shakespeare tragedies :joy:

I’d like it to be more realistic sometimes

No

Nah I prefer reading them if I wrote it then I would make it far too dark

Some are realistic but like I said earlier some go too far

1 Like

Go too far?

2 Likes

In the sense that especially on episode tragedies they usually follow the same plot. The MC is an orphan or for whatever reason does not have parents. Either that or they’re adults and suddenly their husband dies then their child dies and I’ll be honest, while I’m not denying it happening, what I am denying is it happening so frequently it becomes a cliche. If written properly it can be forgiven. I read a story on episode called “city of tragedy” and it is written well (I never finished it so if in your opinion it is awful then remember my view is outdated in the sense it has been way over a year since I read it) but if the deaths are all too close together or the tragic events (death not being the only tragic event) it loses the impact.

2 Likes

I’m gonna come back to answer the questions but I have a fairly raw and recent experience with a tragedy. Funnily enough not where you would expect to find one.

In Final Fantasy 14, there are dozens of instanced dungeons. Most of them have their own little contained narrative that can be fun, or interesting, or intensely dark and triggering.

But one of them, the Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard Mode) has a really, really strong narrative. It centres around a party of adventurers, much like you and the people you explore the dungeons with, but poses the question: what if they weren’t prepared for the horrors of monsters and evil mages in these dungeons?

The healer and tank of the adventurer group are engaged to be married (which is very cute) but the tank dies due to them not being prepared, and the other two members of the party blame the poor healer. The grief, shame and guilt get to her so much that she goes back into the dungeon, forcing her friends in with her to somehow manage to bring her husband-to-be back. So as adventurers yourselves, you and your party are tasked to enter the Deepcroft and fight through the horrors spawned by the dark, twisted magic used to try and resurrect the dead, defeat the grieving and broken husks of what were once adventurers just like you and in the end, finally kill the thing that was resurrected, that is definitely not human anymore. The poor healer is so far gone that she doesn’t even notice, and fights you with everything she has before taking her own life when the monster she brought back from the dead is killed.

So yeah, tragedy rules. That story doesn’t have anything close to a happy ending, and none of this is ever actually explicitly stated. It’s a wonderfully dark and just all round sad story, mirroring the adventure you’ve had throughout the game with someone whose adventure was halted before it really began.

3 Likes

That I can agree with.

2 Likes

Hamlet is so tragic. I guess that’s why I love it…

Added discussion tag enjoy

1 Like

I mean… I love a good tragedy, but not too cliche.
Some cliches are the best though :ok_hand:

Tragedy in shrubbery pleasant: (spoiler alert)

Valkyrie kills thousands of people as darquesse but she is more upset about killing her sister sister

I loved that cause I just did, you know? And I’m too lazy to do these questions, maybe later.

2 Likes

I like Shakespeare because of his tragedies (Macbeth is my favorite play/work of his)

1 Like

It depends on how the story was made. I like certain tragedies but there are some that I feel were not as good as it could of been. Tragedies are the hardest of stories to write because it can go either way on spectrum of written well or written badly.

Attack on Titan for anime, Titanic, Troy, The Godfather series, and The Lion King for disney movies. There is more but this is the top ones.

I’ll post the other questions once I’m done cooking cookies.

1 Like

This is a great example!

1 Like

Yep, it’s still one of the best movies out there that doesn’t romantize the mafia plus one of the biggest tragedies examples out there!

1 Like

Agreed!

1 Like

Jack because he gave his life for the one he loves. Achilles since he protected the one he loved by letting Paris kill him (in movie). It’s in the third Godfather movie, the granddaughter/daughter of the head of the mafia family jumped in front of her grandfather/father to take the bullet that would of killed him (I hope I remember that scene correctly).

There is always death or misfortune when a lifechanging decision is made. It will be someone close to you or a person in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Also, revolves around romance, family, adventure shows and movies. Usually, most common in loving family but one member with a past that comes to bite them in the end or romantic couple where the love interest is usually killed or taken hostage which ends with a deadly confrontation.

Macbeth and Hamlet are two stories that have strong influence of tragedies in them. Troy is heavily influenced by tragedy since Paris who is blind with love condems his people to death and slavery over a woman. This is a dc comic’s story but still a good example of a tragedy, Batman The Dark Knight Returns goes up against Joker but since he failed to see how far Joker’s influenced reached which cost him the life of Rachel his best friend and the person he loved.

I would like to see a tragedy that involves the death of the main character after they save whoever was taken from them. Like after all that effort to be saved they still lose someone close to them. I’m not sure of what else could be added to that.

Actually, I am writing two right now. It falls under this category because of the decision the main character makes. The other is my American Revolutionary War story where the main character deals with tragedy from being diagnosed with a terminal illness which brings on devestating ramifictations in her past and present life.

I like writing tragedies. They are so dramatic filled stories that bring you to the edge of your seat.

No, I don’t believe they are really realistic. Now, you can write as realistic as possible but the truth is that nothing is this dramatically tragic in real life.

1 Like

I love writing tragedies.

Also this reminds me of a Korean drama I watched called “I’m Sorry, I Love You” made in 2004. Search it up, it’s amazing.

There was no happy ending. The male lead died because he had a bullet stuck in his brain, then killed himself in a motorcycle accident. The female lead, after finding out about his death, killed herself by poisoning.

1 Like

Nice, I will have to check that show out!

1 Like

Awesome.

1 Like