Discussion: Women's quota

In the Netherlands, the parament voted in favor of a binding women’s quota of 30% in listed companies.

What do you guys think of a women’s quota, is it a good or bad thing? What should the % be? Should this new rule have strict enforcement or nah? Let’s discuss!

Just tagging @ChaoticDeluge since you seemed excited to voice your opinion on this :eyes:

7 Likes

Quotas are generally bad imo, generally you want affirmative action campaigns that help disadvantaged people get the placements they deserve.

Making a quota seems a little patronising imo

5 Likes

Hmm. Yeah I can see where you are coming from! However I do think they can have some positive influence and can make it more equal even if I wonder why a quota about women in companies should even be there in first place, like clearly something is wrong in society if it isn’t about 50% of women in the top already :thinking: But this society we live in is messed up anyway :grimacing:

4 Likes

Oh yeah, no, the idea is perfectly sound! All the people at the top being old white dudes is an issue, purely from a proportional representation viewpoint.

The majority of changes come from social changes and stuff in my opinion, though. Like, we need to stop taking women less seriously than men. Stuff like that

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s true, this quota might not be the ideal way to achieve more equality, also the quota being 30% which a lot of companies already have anyway so I don’t think it will change a whole lot tbh.

And even if you get to an equal balance you don’t take away the original reason there was an issue in first place, so it seems kinda ignorant to the reasons behind it if that makes sense :thinking:

4 Likes

A lot of the really good solutions require dismantling capitalism so, you know. Big companies wouldn’t want that :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hmm, can you expand on that a bit more? Why you believe it would require dismantling capitalism? :thinking:

1 Like

I think that quotas are very damaging to society.

For example, in most companies/jobs women are expected to wear high heels for hours per day. In certain countries (I believe it was Japan, that place is… surprising to say the least) women can’t even wear glasses because of ridiculous beauty standards.

Probably unrelated, but it goes to show how harmful expectations are.

2 Likes

What’s a quota? :purple_heart: :butterfly:

2 Likes

A quota in this case is how many % in (the top of) companies should be women.

3 Likes

Oh. :purple_heart: :butterfly:

1 Like

Women are perfectly capable of leading a large company, corporation, or conglomerate (a family business).

2 Likes

Slightly off topic but you know when like a dude is flirting with you and you want them to stop, and they won’t leave you alone so you say “I have a boyfriend,” and then they go?

Basically they respect another man over you saying no :expressionless:

3 Likes

Wearing high-heels for hours? Don’t they damage your feet? Why?

This is ridiculous. Women who need glasses to see can’t wear them for the sake of beauty standards? Is this an episode story? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::rofl:

2 Likes

One word. Retarded.

Imma elaborate.

Women are over-represented in the nurse field, teaching etc. Should we fire half of them to make this quota equal? People should be hired based on their qualification and traits, not gender.

4 Likes

I don’t know, but I heard someone got sent home because she changed her shoes.

I find this rule completely absurd too.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s over-representation. Those are “traditionally female jobs” due to the patriarchal climate. Especially in America.

1 Like

It’s not especially in America. It’s the same in Europe. In my school only one teacher was male.
I’m working with hospitals, therefore see their field very closely and I’ve never met male nurse.

And to say that it’s all due to “patriarchy” is very narrow-minded, no offence.

Like for example, have you heard that women (in their majority, because exceptions are everywhere, me being one of them) prefer to work with people, where men prefer to work with objects. It is clearly visible in the statistics too.

1 Like

But that doesn’t mean there’s no male nurses at all. There are doctors, yes. Since more tend to be doctors, it’s understandable that less males would be nurses.

Now it’s not all due to patriarchy, but that is a very big reason why. It’s not like women can’t or don’t wanna be successful, they totally can! I do too. If you look at a list of the top companies in the world, almost all of them are led by men. Because of things like the glass ceiling and unequal pay, women have to work very hard to get to the top. And even when they do, it’s still difficult to stay there. This goes to men as well.

1 Like

I didn’t say there aren’t any male nurses. I know there are. But the majority are women.

I can go as far as to agree that some part, a small one due to patriarchy.

This also doesn’t prove a point. You just have to look deeper than on the basic plain statement that society is led by men and controlled by them. It really has a lot to do with our psychological differences. I’ve seen and closely know women who are business owners, CEO’s and board members, women with a lot of power. They have a somehow specific mindset and priorities. They are more tough, very disagreeable, which are mainly men traits. I’m not a sexist, but acknowledging our differences doesn’t mean someone is sexist. It’s just how it is. And it’s nothing bad. I also know women who are doing epic in their career, and majority flips around 30-35, because the crazy amount of power requires a lot of time. And a lot of them around that time realize that they want family and that they want to spend their time not chasing after the stars, but settling down. Instincts are kicking in.

And as per your words that it’s hard to stay on top. Yes it is, for both men and women. And it might be tougher for women, because men fight the same way they are fighting against their men colleagues and competitors, and they are naturally more pushy than women.

2 Likes