Eurovision 2023 🎙

Eurovision GIF by giphystudios2021

It’s that time of the year again, the songs for eurovision 2023 are getting in. I’m excited!

So, who’s watching this year? What’s your opinion of your country’s song if they participate? What’s your favourite song this far? Let’s discuss eurovision!

3 Likes

My opinions on the songs that have been released this far:

Albania :albania: 6/10

It just comes across as very messy to me, it’s quite chaotic and just not my style.

Australia :australia: 7.5/10

I love Voyager since they joined the national selection last year, the band is great, especially live so that’s in their advantage. But I just don’t really feel this song yet.

Belgium :belgium: 6/10

I have to say, this song has grown on me a bit. I hated it at first, but the gospel and sort of retro style isn’t all that bad. There is something annoying yet catchy about it.

Croatia :croatia: 1/10

Maybe it’s just me who doesn’t get it, but the staging gives me the creeps and it doesn’t sound pleasant either.

Cyprus :cyprus: 6.5/10

It’s just a generic pop song. It doesn’t do much for me except feeling annoyed with how bad his English pronunciation is :nerd_face:

Czech Republic :czech_republic: 8/10

Love the power, message and the fact it’s in 4 different languages.

Denmark :denmark: 6/10

Without the effects, I would have liked it much more. It’s not a bad song, he’s not a bad artist either, it’s simply those effects ruining it for me.

Estonia :estonia: 9/10

Enchanting yet so powerful. An amazing voice as well, and a lovely message in the lyrics. One of my favourites for sure.

Finland :finland: ?/10

You can always rely on the Finns to send something out of the box. While I can respect the song, it just doesn’t really sound pleasant to me and it’s not something I would ever listen to out of eurovision context.

France :fr: 9/10

This is what I want to see France do, elegant yet modern. Strong submission!

Germany :de: 4-7/10

For me personally it’s more a 4, it’s not a genre of music I tend to listen to. However, within its genre it’s definitely not a terrible song and I can appreciate diversity in tastes, explaining the 7.

Iceland :iceland: 8/10

It’s exactly my taste in music, however, it doesn’t really stand out or is memorable enough in my opinion.

Ireland :ireland: 5/10

Generic pop music from 10 years ago, that’s the vibes I’m getting.

Italy :it: 7/10

Italian easily sounds pretty in songs, but it’s also boring to me. It feels very predictable and safe to me, while I want music to surprise me, take me somewhere. It doesn’t do that for me.

Latvia :latvia: 7.5/10

I kinda have an obsession with the staging and the singer is attractive to me. Regardless, the song itself, it doesn’t have too much making it stand out. It has some catchy parts, but is also quite generic even if it’s nice to listen to.

Lithuania :lithuania: 7/10

While it’s a pretty song, and she sings well, it’s not memorable enough. I wouldn’t skip it if it showed up in my playlist, but wouldn’t search for it either.

Malta :malta: 7/10

While I totally dig the vibes, the sax, slight awkwardness ect. and really appreciate their sense of humour, the vocals simply aren’t strong enough for me at some parts.

Moldova :moldova: 6/10

The 6 points are all for the drums and how cultural it is, that’s partly what eurovision is about. Sharing cultures. But do I like the way it sounds, not really.

Netherlands :netherlands: 7.5/10

It’s a song I could see myself listening to, I love how he starts, then she sings and they come together for the ending, but it’s a bit too depressing and repetitive for me to be fully convinced.

Norway :norway: 7/10

Firstly, it’s definitely not bad, it’s catchy, but I’ve heard stronger songs in this genre. It feels a bit forced, the song doesn’t fit the artist in my opinion.

Poland :poland: 3/10

It’s an unconvincing song and the vocals are a complete disaster :tired_face: Such is the way this song got elected, the corruption.

Romania :romania: 3-8/10

Staging is a disaster, so a 3 for that. But the song is actually quite rad and the singer has charisma and is a performer. So if they change the staging a lot this might actually do well!

San Marino :san_marino: 5/10

Dated and boring, not much else I can say about it.

Serbia :serbia: 9/10

It’s unique, stands out to me. Not sure if it’s the highest quality song, but it tells a story and makes me feel something.

Slovenia :slovenia: 9/10

I dig this, kinda my ‘guilty pleasure’ boyband song of this year. Plus I love it’s in Slovenian, sounds great to me!

Spain :es: 7.5/10

It’s obvious this is Spanish, and I love that about it. But I miss a bit of a built-up to something, and it gets a bit repetitive. The performance is perfection tho!

Ukraine :ukraine: 5/10

Slava Ukraini. But talking about the song, it’s just not that strong in my opinion.

2 Likes

This nearly took me 2 hours, listened to all songs from start to end. Even suffered through those I strongly disliked. So I hope at least one person will find it interesting to read :eyes:

2 Likes

Are the ratings the actual 2023 performance scores or the scores you give them?

1 Like

These are just my subjective ratings, the actual contest isn’t until May!

1 Like

Oh, cool cool. Sorry, wasn’t totally sure but was thinking it did seem pretty early. HAHA

1 Like

It’s okay. Have you watched Eurovision before? :thinking:

1 Like

I actually haven’t. It’s not really a thing here in New Zealand. And neither has it been very popular in any of the countries I’ve lived. HAHA. So yeah, haven’t had much of a chance to get into it.

1 Like

That’s interesting. You think you’ll listen to some of the songs for this year or not?

And in case you (or anyone who doesn’t know much about Eurovision) is bored and has 15 minutes to spare, this video gives a great impression of what Eurovision is all about and shows most of the more memorable entries from the last 15ish years…

1 Like

I’ve watched old performances on Youtube or usually when it’s mentioned on panel shows and shown there.

1 Like

Nice, nice!!

1 Like

Newly released

Switzerland :switzerland: 8.5/10

It’s an interesting song, it got my attention right away. He has an unexpectedly deep voice, but also has the skills to sing high, which I like! A serious entry with top 5 potential. Job well done Switzerland, high quality delivered :clap:

1 Like

Newly released

Austria :austria:

I cannot rate this yet, it’s such an unique song with a much deeper underlying critical message. Musically it’s not necessarily that special to me, but lyrically I kinda love it…

Israel :israel: 7/10

She comes across as a worldwide superstar, like she seems like an amazing artist and performer. My problem however is that the song doesn’t feel cohesive to me, too many different parts that don’t work together.

United Kingdom :uk: 8/10

This has real radio potential in my opinion. A cohesive and recognizable song that’s easy to sing along to. It’s highly replayable, generic enough so the majority of the people will be able to enjoy it, but interesting enough. It could be just a current pop song.

1 Like

Gorgeous voice!

1 Like

Newly released

Portugal :portugal: 8/10

It’s not my music taste, but, I can appreciate and enjoy it nevertheless. It’s so creative and cultural, and I couldn’t help but get sucked into the experience of the song and staging.

Sweden 7.5/10

I think this song is seriously overhyped a lot. The you-ou-ou parts are very catchy, the staging is excellent and Loreen still is an amazing performer, but that’s it. Vocals and articulation aren’t great, and she’s in scream mode way too much. Don’t understand why this is the expected winner honestly.

Greece 5.5/10

It exists. First country that’s truly disappointing me, I had high expectations but this doesn’t deliver. It just comes across as not that high quality to me.

For me this is really catchy. The video makes me laugh but the tune has a really good beat.

A really good voice but to me, she seems like 90% of the current pop stars in the world today.

So far, I think this is a my least favourite.

1 Like

Yeah, 100% agree with you!

She does. Even if she has a good voice, she isn’t that unique and in my opinion the song itself isn’t the best either…

Ohh, interesting. Why? And do you mean from the newly released songs or all the songs including that long list I posted like a week ago?

Newly released

Azerbaijan :azerbaijan: 7/10

Yay Azerbaijan for doing something I wasn’t expecting. It feels very genuine and artistic, and I love that. I’m just not sure if they can actually transform the cosiness and nostalgia into a good live performance…

Also, a heads up, I’m practicing some of this years eurovision songs. Only those with at least English parts, and I’m planning on turning that into like a 10 minute medley, soooo, should be fun! Probably will post it here next weekend!

Newly released

Armenia :armenia: 5/10

I’m sorry, I just don’t like it. Can’t understand a word she sings in the first part even if the lyrics are supposedly English, don’t really like the rapping part (though it is better). It’s very within the lines, it doesn’t surprise me in any way. Not sure if she can lift this song up on stage, I hope can cause she seems cool!