Furry Art! (The safe for work version!)

I want to talk about something that for some reason can actually put a lot of people on edge. Furries, and furry art. No, first and foremost, I am not a furry. I have known a lot of furries in my time and I’ve looked into the history and culture a decent amount. It’s an interesting subject for me, and a lot of the art that comes out of said culture is deeply intriguing!

So, first and foremost, furry art is not new. And I’m not making a joke about ancient Egyptian gods having animal heads, however good a point that is. I mean the current idea of furry art that you see all over websites like DeviantArt these days. Not new! In fact, decades old!

Yes, that’s right, furries have been an integral part of fringe culture since arguably the 50s. And the societies and fans have been evolving and growing this whole time. The ideas of fursonas and anthropomorphised animals have stayed the whole way through. It’s mostly that aspect I like a lot.

You’ve probably noticed aspects of furry culture in very mainstream media actually. Cat girls in anime? Or, how about a more culturally relevant example. Playboy bunnies? These are drop-offs of furry culture. Anthropomorphised animals that have their distinctly animal features sexualised in a way that a lot of people find incredibly attractive. I’ll admit, I do like me some cat ears. I play a Miqo’te in Final Fantasy 14, what can I say!

So I’d like your opinions on this. Are you a fan of furry art? If not, why not? Do you have a good reason, or have I just blown your mind?

13 Likes

Furry art? Like blanket art??

8 Likes

Well this is interesting… :thinking:

4 Likes

No. A person who is attracted to animals

5 Likes

Noooo, art done by furries :joy:

4 Likes

Uh ok???

4 Likes

This is wrong, but I’ll admit in certain areas of the culture it’s a fine line

8 Likes

Then what is a furry?

4 Likes

Animals!

4 Likes

Okay :joy:

4 Likes

A furry is someone who enjoys the idea of anthropomorphised animals, or who themselves identifies specifically as an animal!

The sexual nature is completely optional, and a lot of furries actually don’t enjoy those more risque elements. Some just feel a certain attatchement to a particular animal that informs how they live.

See, being attracted to real animals instead of the animal-people may not technically be illegal, but acting on it is. I’d rather not call all furries criminals :joy:

13 Likes

Ohhhh, I see. People in my school describe them as people who are attracted to animals, so that’s why I thought that’s what they are. :woman_shrugging:t4: I understand now.

6 Likes

That’s one of the reasons they get so ostracised from society, and have been for over half a century!

7 Likes

If it’s good art, then awesome.

Gatcha life is furry art then? Because it’s little animated cartoon people with massive heads who are wolves, bunnies, unicorns, hybrid princesses etc…

(My little sister watches it ALL THE TIME :roll_eyes:)

7 Likes

But it’s not true, for the most part. Of course, there are those who are, but they’re on the very far fringes of the culture, lol

3 Likes

Tbh, I never heard of the term furry until last year so :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

It’s interesting stuff, for sure. I loved looking into it :smile:

4 Likes

Team FURRY?? :no_mouth:

4 Likes

Team??? I wrote term :joy: I’m confusion

4 Likes

Let’s play a little game. Who has furry art as their profile pic? :raising_hand_woman:t4:

6 Likes