Great films that are actually really feminist

Take a look at movies like Legally Blonde our main character Elle is one you would easily stereotype as being a “dumb pretty blonde girl” but that’s not the case! In the movie she proved that you shouldn’t judge a book by the cover and as women we shouldn’t assume that just because somebody has good looks that doesn’t mean she lacks brains. She’s also really nice to everybody.

There are plenty of great movies out there that are actually pretty feminist! Let’s talk about them.

4 Likes

Yes let’s

I think Captain Marvel was kind of the opposite of this? I went in with really low expectations, I was expecting it to be an SJW sh*tshow (I even heard a rumor that they pronounced the word hero ‘her-o’ in the movie :joy:) but it actually turned out pretty good. And props to the costume designers for not making her outfit 95% boobies

2 Likes

hurrrro :joy:

1 Like

Mad Max: Fury Road
Aggretsuko (I know it’s a show but it deserves more watches)
Wonderwoman (It’s like Captain Marvel but actually good)
9 to 5
Fried Green Tomatoes
Thelma and Louise
Kill Bill

I just listed them cuz I’m lazy :rofl:

1 Like

The only good parts of that movie were the cat, young Nick Fury, and the so-cringy-it’s-good comedy. Bree Larson really isn’t a good Carol Denvers at all, which is depressing, because she definately looks the part.

1 Like

Ever noticed how when people try to make a feminist film, 9 times out of 10, it ends up being garbage? When people just make a film about an interesting, developed female MC because they want to make an interesting film, it ends up being more feminist?

Like, captain marvel is actually not that feminist at all, if you ask me. Making a woman “act like a man” is the most overused “feminist” trope out there. There’s nothing wrong with it, but the overuse makes it seem like women need to lose their femininity to succeed

3 Likes

Kill Bill is amazing!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Or the time when the MCU thought it wouldn’t be forced to have a HEY LOOK AT ALL THESE AWESOME WOMEN HELPING SPIDERMAN scene rubbed in our faces in the middle of a battlefield, it made it seem like you can’t achieve feminism without it feeling out of place

3 Likes

Whereas the MCU usually has some amazing female characters and it doesn’t need to force the feminism. They are literally working from the source material of Stan Lee: MASSIVE FEMINIST

4 Likes

oof ouch the CRINGEEEE

1 Like

I think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a good one. Haven’t seen the American version but I’ve read the first two books and seen the Swedish film adaptation.

It helped that the author was very invested into politics himself.

That was sad because I loved End Game, ugh… anyway…

4 Likes

Tell me about it! You have a woman giving up her life for the good of humanity and dying a hero…

Then you have RUB RUB RUB. It’s like when you think about walking down the stairs and you fall

3 Likes

Like people please. There are literally millions of badass women out there. Just act natural and it will come to you. Be aware of the tropes and avoid them, but don’t make a big deal out of the good stuff

3 Likes

Uma can get it.

1 Like

And they had the nerve to put Pepper in there.

She is a superhero in her own right in the comics

1. List item
1 Like

Yeah, but compared to Scarlet Witch, Shuri, Gamora, Nebula, and all the rest…

Sure to a lesser extent but she is still a heroine. I just loved the suit was in the comic colour scheme. I think female hero’s are the future of the mcu or at least I hope they are.

I have to say there is a lot of male focused hero movies and not women so it has a lot of potential going forward

1 Like