Happy songs with dark meanings

This is similar to the songs with hidden meanings thread, but this is for happy songs with dark meanings. Semi Charmed Life, Pumped Up Kicks, ect.

1 Like

I really liked Semi-Charmed life when I was thirteen, but I had no idea what it was about until I read an article about it.

TLC’s Waterfalls is another one. I never paid attention to the lyrics until I wanted to use it in one of my stories… I thought ‘One day he takes a look in the mirror and doesn’t recognize his own face’ was more metaphoric that literal, about someone who became such a different person that they didn’t recognize themselves anymore. Like someone who got blinded by greed and did all kinds of terrible things. But when I looked up the lyrics so I could put it in a story, I saw the next line, and I was like… NOPE.

2 Likes

Wait…what’s it about? I know what song you’re referring too.

1 Like

AIDS, I think, because the next line says:
His health is fading and he doesn’t know why; three letters took him to his final resting place.
:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Oooohhhhhhh…makes sense, because when your immune system is compromised, you look sickly, so you would look different.

1 Like

@Divcp …

Is Waterfalls a happy sounding song? It always sounded pretty somber to me.

1 Like

I’d say it’s pretty happy. Ohhh, Jumper also by Third Eye Blind.

It sounded happy to me when I was younger… I guess it’s the catchy beat.

Copacabana.
It’s a song about a dancer named Lola and her bartender boyfriend Tony I think the time was 40s since he said it was 30 years ago (Song came out in 1970s)
This mobster named Rico saw Lola dancing at the bar and called her over to him.
He started to get all touchy with Lola and Tony saw what he was doing, so he started to interrogate Rico, Rico got mad as a fight started, punches going each way.
Rico then pulls out a gun as he shoots Tony.
And it’s said 30 years later in 1970, where the club Lola worked at has been turned into a disco party place idk.
Lola still goes there, sitting at the bar drinking herself away thinking of Tony, still wearing the outfit from years ago.

Still love the song tho lol
I use to listen to it all the time

1 Like

Added a couple tags

Thank you!

1 Like

‘Must Have Been the Wind’ is about domestic violence :no_mouth:

1 Like

Ah, interesting. So is Witchcraft by Pendulum.

1 Like

“You’re a Useless Child” by Kikuo. Holy crap, lol.

Oh, I love that song

1 Like

Nice song. Not a very nice meaning.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s very sad those things happen.

Chandelier

I choked on water to Pumped Up Kicks. Yeah.