How to play Wizard's Chess

This is a tutorial, as well as a discussion on Wizard’s Chess from Harry Potter!

But first off, let’s talk about the rules to regular chess.
In chess, there are two players and the goal of each player is to checkmate the opponent’s king, which is essentially leaving him with the inability to do anything but surrender.

Chess piece movement:
  • King: The king is the most important piece but is one of the weakest. The king can only move one square in any direction.
  • Queen: The queen is the most versatile piece and is one of the strongest. The queen can only move up to 8 squares in any direction but can’t change course.
  • Bishop: (2 pieces on each side) The bishop may move as far as it wants but only diagonally. Each bishop starts on one colour (light or dark) and must always stay on that colour.
  • Knight: (2 pieces on each side) Knights move differently from other pieces. They go two squares in one direction, and then one more move at a 90-degree angle, just like the shape of an “L”.
  • Rook: (2 pieces on each side) The rook may move as far as it wants but only forward, backward, and to the sides.
  • Pawn: (8 pieces on each side) The queen is the most versatile piece and is one of the strongest. The queen can only move up to 8 squares in any direction but can’t change course.

Now for the Wizarding aspects!

Unlike in muggle chess (above), the players move their pieces by speaking the name of the piece and the square it is to move to. For example, “Knight to E5”. Pretty cool, huh?

When one piece “takes” another piece, rather than picking it up off the board, the pieces actually smash each other oof the board. Aside from that, it’s all relatively similar to the muggle version.

However, it can be difficult to play since the pieces are conscious. You have to develop their trust to be able to play and for them to actually listen to your words.

Feel like playing a game of Wizard’s Chess with me?

7 Likes

Sure, why not?

1 Like

HEHEHEHE! If only we were attending Hogwarts, right? So glad I no longer have to take any OWLs.

1 Like

I’m always in favor of less tests to worry about.

1 Like

ME too, me too. HAHA.

1 Like

I’ve actually played Wizard’s Chess in a video game before, (in the video game for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) although out of many, many times trying it I only won a handful of times. I’m sure if I played it again now, I would do better at it at least.

1 Like

HEHEHEHE! That’s pretty darn cool.

1 Like

I can’t even play regular chess and I have no knowledge about Harry Potter but wizard’s chess sounds fun :smile:
I think I’ve seen it in a video game that one of my friends played, but I’m not so sure about it :thinking: Maybe it was something similar
I’d totally play with you! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Yay. Wait, you can’t play regular chess. How come?

1 Like

I was never really interested in playing it and nobody taught me how to play it

1 Like

I can if you want…

1 Like

Nah, thanks though :smile: I’m just too lazy to get into that now

1 Like

Fair enough

1 Like

Added tags :butterfly:

1 Like

Where are the Harry Potter geeks at? @Discussions?

2 Likes

I’m actually not a wizard chess enthusiast.

1 Like

Not even if you came across it in real life?

1 Like

I might check it out but if it’s not in front of me then I won’t be interested.

1 Like

HAHAHA! Fair enough.

1 Like

Lol yep!

1 Like