Hydrocephalus awareness 🧠💧

Ok, so Hydrocephalus Awareness month is in September, but I’m just going to do this now. Hydrocephalus is a neurological condition where there is too much cerebral spinal fluid in the head, which must be drained, otherwise the skull will expand. Yes, I have this. I have something called a shunt that drains the fluid into my abdomen. Feel free to ask questions!

19 Likes

Is there a way to cure/resolve it?

4 Likes

Oh wow! I never heard of this. Thank you for making this thread to spread awareness!

3 Likes

Wow, we definitely need to raise awareness for it!

3 Likes

Hey! I hope you are doing well. This issue is fairly common, and people need to be aware of this :two_hearts:

Just curious though My ‘doctor’ self is kicking in :sweat_smile:

1. Was yours a congenital or acquired cause, and when was the shunt done?
  2. What did you experience before getting the shunt, and do you still have those effects after having the shunt?
  3. Do you need to replace your shunt anytime in the near future?
4 Likes

I don’t know, honestly.

2 Likes

It wasn’t congenital, I think. I know I had a hemorrhage in my brain, so maybe it started then. I’ve had my shunt since…maybe two months after I was born. I’ve never needed it replaced, but I may in the future.

3 Likes

Also, I’m doing perfectly fine, thanks!

1 Like

I see.
Did your doctor ever point out any symptoms that you have, but to you, it feels normal?

Anyway, you are perfectly alright. As long you do go for regular health check-ups, and you maintain a balanced lifestyle, you are just perfectly fine.
I honestly don’t know anyone personally with this, and hope you don’t find me annoying by asking these sort of questions. It’s odd for me to ask my ‘non-patients’ about those! I am just curious as to how you are experiencing this.

1 Like

As what I had learned, shunt is the way to maintain this to prevent fluid (CSF) collection in the brain.
In some cases, in which there is a mass growth along with it, or haemorrhage, a surgery/ evacuation of clot surgery is needed, otherwise there are not so confirmed treatment to stop this.
Maybe there might new newer scientific development, and I am not up to date with those. Forgive me for just being a fresh med graduate and I haven’t have my own patients yet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re not annoying! I do have dyscalculia, which is a math disability and Aspergers.

1 Like

Hey, you’re doing great

1 Like

I did not come across many cases of hydrocephalus as a student, but to me, your higher function is a little affected, but it isn’t serious as what I had learned. Your ADL (activities of daily living - basic living skills) aren’t affected, which is definitely a good prognosis. I do come across some young kids with this, as well with affected motor functions (they can’t walk, move their limbs or converse properly), but their cases were due to congenital hydrocephalus. Those are quite saddening.

You are doing totally fine, dear. :heart: You don’t need complex maths to live daily. Don’t ever think that as a disadvantage, and I’m pretty sure many of you had told you this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I do have hypertonia in my legs, so I limp

1 Like

But I’m doing well cognitively. Others aren’t so lucky, sadly

1 Like

Oh I wasn’t aware of that.
Do you go for physiotherapy, and how often are they if you do? Do you see any improvement to your legs over these years?

Don’t say that you are unlucky. You are able to do so many other things. Don’t ever think that there is ‘normal’. Normal is very subjective, and after these few things you mention, you are normal, with just needing some precaution and health check-ups. :heart:

I used to have to go to both PT and OT, but that didn’t do much.

1 Like

You’re right. Those will just help to loosen up and maintain your limb tonicity.

Remember to always stay positive, stay a little active, less straining on your muscle and go for regular check-ups.
Always confide into someone if you ever feel down. Don’t ever give up.
Sending you lots of love :two_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you so much! I’m actually headed to college in August, so I’ve come a long way.

1 Like

I was actually born three months premature

2 Likes