Is Cookie being a racist, part II

I think most dunno about this issue going around, but I really wanna know your opinions.

So I make templates from time to time, like visual CC templates. Since I can’t code, @TessS is helping me out, but I generate the concept/idea and also visuals, like overlays and backgrounds for it.

So this is my latest realized project.

And this is the part that got one particular author, with a large following, outraged.

Grab a cookie if you guessed where is the issue.

Here are the first comments in regards to it. I’m not covering any names, since this discussion is available on Episode forums.

After this, only after this, authors who used it started receiving hate messages, so I decided that we’ll work on an edited template without this section, to avoid this shitstorm.
Edited template is uploaded, but I kept the one with the black section too. My comments on this situation from Insta story, cause I don’t wanna write it all again.

Why I resumed this stuff after a week? 'Cause one of the authors got an e-mail from EPISODE STAFF saying that they received complaints from readers about it, and although author hasn’t violated anything, and no penalties will be applied, it is appreciated if she would edit the template.

My question is basically what you all think about it.

7 Likes

I think it’s best to correct that. I don’t think you were being racist, it’s just a mistake. Instead of saying “Black” it should be “Afro” or “Protective” since that’s a better term for it.

16 Likes

Honestly, just ignore Langdon. She shouldn’t have been dragging you or the contest winner like that.

13 Likes

I actually wanted to put in “protective”, it was the first choice, but due to the overlays, it was a word too long for it. So I read a bit, saw magazine articles saying “black hairstyles”, and asked some people around, and it was settled. I never thought of afro though, cause there are also braids, dreadlocks etc.

10 Likes

Techinicaly they’re still Afro styles since braids and dreads, etc. are used for that hair texture so you wouldn’t be wrong for putting that.

8 Likes

well… maybe then i could edit that. thanks for the suggestion

8 Likes

You’re welcome and I’m going to apologize on Langdon’s behalf because she’s just embarrassing. :sob:

7 Likes

Lol I wouldnt want anyone to apologize on behalf of someone. To be fair her outrage didn’t bother me at all, or made me upset. The only thing that got me upset about it, is that authors received hate. And that I wasted 2 hours editing it yesterday.

8 Likes

People will forever be sensitive over the little things. :expressionless:

5 Likes

It’s not the word I’d use, but why do people outrage over everything? Like I don’t think it’s the best word to use, but like… language nuances? People get triggered too quickly

12 Likes

I don’t think you were being racist, Cookie. It was clear you were trying to make it easier for people to find natural hair for black peoples.

And I’m going to go on a tangent. Nothing pissed me off more than the fact she came into a post to congratulate winners (yes I’m biased) to start a hair argument. It’s just so childish and took away from the actual point of the thread. :woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

I still believe that Episode is lacking a bit when it comes to black hairstyles. :woman_shrugging:t4: This is just my opinion though. As for the “black section”, like @/PensiveShadow mentioned above, they should use better titles to label like protective, afro, etc.

I don’t think you were being racist though.

6 Likes

ikr? She actually read at least one story of the people with this template, and even posted screenshots. She didn’t bother to message author themselves. But ranted on congratulations thread.

8 Likes

Who cares :joy:

People on the internet are mentally defficient

11 Likes

I like this phrasing xD

9 Likes

I’m not allowed to slur

10 Likes

Deficient :joy: irony

6 Likes

Agreed. “Black” is way too broad. Black people have different shades AND hair textures

6 Likes

Then there’s also the fact that you could be talking about a hair colour or race! I thought the hair colour first :confounded: I was super confused and had to read their posts a couple of times

8 Likes

I’m not even sure how I picked this word. I think I couldn’t fit the “protective” word, so I was asking around, not everyone obv, but poc, for some other word, and someone suggested it. I then made sure it was used online and there I go :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes