Let's talk about...transitioning racial identities?

That man had a skin condition.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know that, interesting. But even theorhetically, would you think the same thing of a black person going white ?

There is no reason why I would give a pass to black people doing the same thing.

Okay then why do you think it’s wrong ? I’m just curious because so many people have called it wrong without giving very concrete arguments as to why. @phnx has a very interesting point there, too.

1 Like

In many black people’s eyes, it really frustrates them to see the people who historically held them captive, used them for slavery, diminish them now suddenly wanna be them, want to look the way they do when their ancestors were beaten, segregated because of those exact features, of their darker tone.

It’s like when someone bullies you for years in school because you like anime and they push you around, call you names and then you come to find out in college that watching anime is a cool thing, so you see them posting about all these animes they love and how they are such a “weeb” (potentially somehting they would call you for liking anime as a bad thing) but way darker and way more hurtful than that; when you put it into a black person’s perspective.

2 Likes

Okay, but I see a difference there: in the bully example, you’re still talking about the same person. I’m going to assume that the woman who went from white to black never did anything against black people. Some people before her did, and she just happens to have the same skin colour than them. The people today aren’t the same as the people who encouraged slavery (this is heavily nuanced, but the point still stands).

2 Likes

Look, I’m all for doing whatever you want. But what I’m also all for is having respect for others and their issues they face.

Honestly I could really care less what a person does but I’m explaining the black person’s point of view and why it’s in the right for them to feel disrespected and even hurt. It’s not very cool to just see someones real race (something they’re genetically born with) be treated as some outfit anyone can put on any day.

It’s like a couple. Two people in a relationship. Obviously it’s not exactly the same, but I leave it to you to make sense of this comparison:

TW: Sexual assault, depression

A man was raped by a girl. Certain ways she did it and stuff she did during it, became something like a nightmare. All her quirks and movements became something he was afraid to see from anyone else because it causes flashbacks. His life was flipped upside just by that one girl. He became depressed, drowned in the very fact he was violated in ways no one ever should be and it became to a point where he learned his boundaries, he learned how he wants to be treated, what is considered a no go from other people. He decides to date again, girls and boys. He started dating this girl and they became close. They were similar, had common hobbies, etc, he felt happy with her, they were okay. They had their differences in experience, they were different people. Then, they got to the point where they were getting serious and he opened up the realm of being sexually active again after what he’s been through. They start their little thing but one of her movements triggers something back to his past experience with the other girl who raped him. So he asks her to please stop. He says, “Please don’t do that, last time someone did, it was when they were raping me.” And what he gets back is “Well that wasn’t me, I wasn’t trying to rape you, so just let me do it.”

Now do you see the issue? The girl didn’t want to accept how the guy felt because she wasn’t the previous girl and felt she should still be able to do that because it personally feels good and even though he explained that though she’s not trying to do anything non-consensual like before, or looking to hurt him or ever did in that way, what she’s doing now is crossing a boundary that he has set up for himself due to something he’s experienced.

Same thing with black’s and their history, how they were treated in the past. It’s ingrained in their historical existence, there will always be racism especially towards black people so everyone of that race will feel and know how their skin color is something so special but was taken advantage of, diminished and an excuse to abuse them. Saying to a person of color that you want to be black like them and should be allowed to just because you’re not the white people (person) who actually pushed racism on them or beaten them, or hurt them for their skin, is still just disrespectful. And I think it shouldn’t be any different with sexual intercourse and it’s boundaries when it comes to a certain racial group’s boundaries. (How the individual person and or majority of the group feel they should be treated or respected.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t compare it to sexual assault (especially in that example) at all, or call it the epitome of stupid, but sure, I see what you mean.

And you can do you bro. :woman_shrugging:

Well these comparisons (slavery and sexual assault) are both historically known to be the abuse of innocent people. So it’s very relevant.

1 Like

Yes but then again, the majority of black people today didn’t directly suffer from slavery. They suffer from racism and cultural appropriation, which is a lot more intangible and hard to characterise, in my opinion. It’s just hard to draw the line between what’s cultural appropriation and what’s not. Especially when a lot of people have validly argued that race doesn’t exist. What I wouldn’t compare to sexual assault is not slavery, but cultural appropriation.

3 Likes

Look, all this ties down to is having respect for the boundaries one is trying to cross.

1 Like

Whether or not you feel the same way about why they have that boundary set in place.

Yes, it’s just that that disrespectful character is not so obvious to me, when I really think about it. Especially because some people might be offended by such actions while others might not, so it’s kind of hard to have a set opinion on the matter (there lies the difference with your example, by the way, where you’re 100% sure that the guy has those boundaries).

1 Like

Blackface is popularly disapproved of by the black community.

1 Like

Sure, if you consider that it’s blackface. But if I remember correctly, blackface refers specifically to makeup used in disguise or caricature. You could easily make a case that 1. this is not makeup, 2. this is not disguise and 3. not caricature, so not blackface.

I think to sum up here, I would agree that calling yourself «transracial» is a bit silly, for the reason that @phnx gave (it’s not something mental). Still in line with what they said, I guess that means I’m leaning for «race doesn’t exist», so people changing their skin colour shouldn’t be problematic to me.

2 Likes

What even-

Eh, people always wanna change something about themselves, like there’s an entire plastic surgery industry, so this isn’t even surprising at this point.

2 Likes

Okay I just checked the article

“I identify as black”

What???

2 Likes

WOW :grinning:

2 Likes

We don’t claim them in the black community and that girl who is racist against her own race believes she is white :clown_face:

2 Likes