Psychological Effects and Phenomena

Everything in the mind never fails to amaze us, and probably every discovery about it will always blow our minds. How they are the reason of our behaviors is just amazing on its own.

And speaking of that, have you heard of psychological effects or phenomena? These are certain events that occur to us, maybe even on a daily basis, and they often—if not always—are the reasons of our behaviors. They “trick” our minds; and while some of them can be explained, some just not like to be understood.

One psychological phenomenon I always get amazed is the Mandela Effect—an unusual phenomenon where a group of people remember something, but is actually not accurate or is actually false. I think, if I remember correctly, this was named after several people claimed they saw former South African President Nelson Mandela’s funeral on T.V., but is actually false because the latter is still alive. Creepy, isn’t it? The fact that multiple people can have the same false memory is just… ineffable.

Another I just learned about is the Cryptomnesia, a phenomenon where you generate a new idea, but that idea actually not new and is just a forgotten memory. I’m interested in this because I relate to it so much, though I don’t really know if they’re forgotten memory because I don’t really recall them even if I realize it later on (maybe it’s just another bad memory stuff-). It’s risky, I guess—I wouldn’t want to accidentally plagiarize a work xD

So, @Psychologists

• What do you think about this?
  • What are some psychological effects or phenomena you know and are interested in?
  • Which of these have you experienced?
  • Do you have some theories on the ones you know about?
  • Why do you think these happen?
7 Likes

I thought Nelson Mandela died?

2 Likes

Omg that scares me every time I come up with something, so I just google everything I come up with :partying_face:

Mandela effect is really eery though, but the other examples of it aren’t as creepy as the Mandela thing

Does deja vu count? :eyes:

Memory stuff

Yes

3 Likes

BRUH YES

It happens to me a lot and it’s super creepy :sob:

2 Likes

I think I’ve had this…I have a really bad memory

1 Like

Yes, he did, but I think this phenomenon was before his actual one.

Yup :eyes:

3 Likes

Most likely.

1 Like

Same, and it hurts when you realize you’re not original at all :partying_face:

True!

and why did I not see this in your reply

2 Likes

I’ve read stuff online and there’s theories that it’s just a memory leak, like short term going into long term memories :star_struck: I’m bad at explaining-

3 Likes

Nothing is original :partying_face:

1 Like

I have such bizarre imaginations

and yes I’m confushin

True :partying_face:

1 Like

Like there’s a separate space for short term memories and separate for long term, and it gets misplaced :woman_playing_handball:t2: I don’t remember much-

2 Likes

Ohh huh-

Yes ok interesting :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes and it makes sense :ok_hand:t2: but my memory is bad so I don’t remember

2 Likes

I’ve only experienced deja vu twice in my life. But the most bizarre thing about it is it’s like a dream. When I wake I remeber my dreams, but as soon as 10 or so minutes pass by I completely forget what I dreamt about and no matter how hard I try to remember the dream I can’t. With deja vu it was like that too. I only remember how it felt but I don’t remember what triggered it. I keep trying to remember what I did that made me feel it but I can’t

3 Likes

WAIT THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSEEE

IT FEELS LIKE IT HAPPENED EARLIER BUT IT’S HAPPENING NOW

2 Likes

I guess what I’ve noticed is that when my dreams aren’t enjoyable the night before, I have trouble falling asleep

2 Likes

Woah I never realised deja vu could have a trigger- I can’t even remember what causes it, but sometimes it feels like it’s happened twice or even thrice beforeee

2 Likes

WAIT REALLY!? I also forget my dreams but I get deja vus really often, I remember exactly what I said and how it felt and how it looked like. Sometimes I dream about something and I remember a person walking out of a room for example, well when I realize I’m experiencing one then I’m like “well this person has to come out the room in like a few seconds” then they come out and I’m like “wow” :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Yeah I remember something happened. I don’t remember what but it felt like that situation was either in a dream or it had already happened. It was so weird I can’t remember what it is anymore

2 Likes