Random Opinions and Pet Peeves: Art Edition

So, do you have any random opinions on or pet peeves related to making art, art pieces or artists?

Here are some of my opinions:
Banksy isn’t that interesting, the art is sometimes but I definitely don’t like all of it.
Most art is way overpriced.
Digital art looks better than most drawings/paintings.
Most Dutch paintings from the Dutch Golden Age (17th century) are pretty boring to look at, but there are a few exceptions.
Air brushes in for example ibis paint are underrated. I really like them. I hate when people get shamed for using them, let everyone decide which brushes they use.

11 Likes

Gigantic agree, some of it is pretty pretentious. I like some of it but then again I feel like it’s more the fact he’s anonymous that gets rich people excited.

2 Likes
  • Not all art has a deep, meaningful message. Please don’t make it sound complicated.
  • Ahem, When people snatch some art and then claim it’s theirs. Like, no, please no. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t been jealous of people’s art skills. But that doesn’t mean it’s right to steal.

His art looks great when you see it in real life, but I think he’s a bit overrated.

ASDJKDJKASJD Yes!!!

They’re such useful tools and I hate it when people get shamed on for using them! I don’t really care how anyone does the art, as long they think it looks good, they should be proud =))

2 Likes

The tate modern in London is filled with a lot of crap and the actually good pieces get overlooked

3 Likes
  • Realism is not the be all and end all of art. It’s necessary for the basics but if someone wants to draw cartoony/anime then let them
  • Not everything is about improvement. Some people just do art for fun.
  • You are not entitled to drawings because you have a friend that draws. It’s like demanding your singing friend does mini concerts for you every time you see them.
  • Not drawing everyday doesn’t mean you aren’t committed to art. Artists get art block. Artists get burnout. Artists have other things to be doing in their lives.
  • Whitewashing in art exists and it’s not the “lighting”. There are tonnes of resources to help colour dark skin. Save the excuses.
  • We need to normalize drawing black features/hair because it’s actually jarring looking for tutorials for them because so little guides for them exist.
  • Whilst “style” is never an excuse for poor anatomy, personally not liking an art style is not a critique
  • Art as well as other creatives are valid school subjects and career choices. People acting like we have no need for artists is clownery. Who designed the costumes for the characters in that movie you love watching? Who designed your house? Who designed every product you’ve ever bought?
6 Likes

Yes! It frustrates me so much because I do art for fun and I get art people constantly critisizing it.

People do this

4 Likes

Well this is more of a fact:

Make up is art!

3 Likes

•The quality of a drawing doesn’t always depend on the quality of your materials, so stop blaming your cheap pencils if you mess up… :eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

I find it easier to do dark skin :no_mouth:

1 Like

Anyone else any art related opinions or pet peeves?

1 Like

Oil. Pastels. The saturation of the colours is great but the layering is just… :confounded:

1 Like

Hate it when you’re using watercolour paint and you don’t add enough water to the paint so it starts to crack once it’s dried :expressionless:

1 Like

I hate that too. Also cant stand the opposite where you add too much water and it washes off the paint!

1 Like

Yeahhh!
Or it ends up ruining the paper you’re using hHhh

1 Like

The ads in ibis paint stop me from drawing sometimes because they move too much and distract me :expressionless::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Tangents suck

2 Likes

What are tangents? :eyes::sparkles::green_heart::sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s quite simple really. It’s borrowed from a geometry term that means the same thing. It’s when a straight object meets a curved object but they don’t overlap. It completely destroys the depth of a drawing

2 Likes

Ooo :eyes::sparkles:
That really doesn’t sound good :crying_cat_face::green_heart:

1 Like

I hate when I ruin a completely good piece, especially in lettering or calligraphy, with one wrong stroke.