Random Opinions

I’m sure there would be something in the UK. I’m in NZ and though on opposite sides of the world, we’re still very similar.

1 Like

i have to disagree, ADHD is a disability, and while there’s no shame to it, being disabled in any shape or form has a negative impact for the person (take it from someone who’s been both physically and mentally disabled), it’s detrimental for the person to have a disability, much more if it’s untreated

that said, there can be different treatments, meds aren’t the only option
a friend of mine has been diagnosed since childhood, but he doesn’t like taking meds
instead, he regulates through exercise and being a first responder at our uni (since adrenaline is a stimulant, it has a similar effect in his brain to the one meds would have)
on the other hand, another friend of mine literally couldn’t function without her ADHD meds, which led her to a very bad depressive episode when she entered uni
and i know a handful of late diagnosed people who find their ADHD meds to be really helpful to them, as they had been struggling a lot prior to their diagnoses
or, for example, my QPP’s roommate ran out of their ADHD meds last sem and it was terribly for them, they literally couldn’t attend their classes because of how badly their ADHD affected… just about everything in their life

well the thing is that there’s no medication for autism
one can get medicated for side effects or comorbidities, and that helps people navigate life (for example, depression or anxiety meds), but not one to “regulate” or “treat” autism

3 Likes

My friend has ADHD and it is not easy for her. A lot of times we get into arguments because I tell her something and she gets distracted. It’s frustrating and she has no meds either. On the flip side, I can relate to her cuz autism and ADHD traits overlap. (I get distracted very easily too)

This, I disagree with 100% because autism is a literal rewiring of your brain.

2 Likes

Exactly. Autism is not curable and there isn’t any cause for autism either.

Same here, it’s hard to focus on anything. Especially when you need extra time for assignments and exams.

1 Like

Yup. Exactly!

Because of executive dysfunction, which is common in most neurodivergent people.

2 Likes

I’ll never understand why people support Autism Speaks when it’s well-known for bad-mouthing autism & autistic people. We certainly don’t use the term ‘Aspergers’ anymore because it has something to do with the N*zis. Not to mention Hitler hated anyone who is disabled, disgusting! I don’t get how the far-right movement supports him.

That is true. Especially when it comes to tidying up, it can be mentally draining as well.

1 Like

sorry to go back to this but wrt:

i saw this pretty good thread by an artist who talks a lot about her own experiences with ADHD and i think she explained some of the issues i have with people not treating ADHD as an actual disability pretty well
https://twitter.com/ADHD_Alien/status/1613449970195091456?s=20&t=DABkb5LRJ_BpzUu6MQZFzQ

4 Likes

i completely agree with literally everything you said !!!

romanticizing mental health issues is super toxic, and there’s no shame in admitting you struggle with adhd/autism/anything! i have both of the former and i’m super lucky to not be severely disabled, but telling people that are that they don’t need medication or support because they ‘shouldn’t treat it like a disability’ is super frustrating :Y it’s borderline “everyone’s a little autistic” or “autism’s a superpower”

4 Likes

I agree with you that ADHD is a hidden disability. It seems that no one bothers to talk about how ADHD can affect your life such as working on an assignment (you’ll need extra time which we are all entitled to), same applies to exams.

I am retracting the medication bit from earlier on because I have concluded that it’s necessary for people with ADHD to take medication. Now, I fully understand why we may need medication for ADHD.

Ugh, don’t get me started! I hate it when people say that rubbish! Autism is not a ‘special gift’, it’s also a hidden disability. Especially with the stupid labels high/low functioning.
Not to mention people forget we mask as well, it doesn’t mean we ain’t ‘less autistic’.

2 Likes

Tinder is overrated!

Yes, I am speaking from experience because everyone seems to be after ONE thing. No joke!

Another opinion, you count as a parent when your child is a cat/dog/rabbit/parrot/snake/horse etc.

2 Likes

Okay, I need someone to help me with this as I am perplexed. Is it disrespectful to like ‘sexy’ photos of guys/girls while you’re in a relationship? Some argue that it’s not disrespectful because it’s ‘just a like’ and some argue saying that it is disrespectful.

For those who think it’s disrespectful, I get where they are coming from as I’ve been in that situation. When my ex-boyfriend (the abusive one I’ve mentioned in this thread) liked photos of random girls that were supermodel thin, that made me feel s**t about myself because he expects me to look like them yet he expects me to cover up because he was possessive.

What do you think?

2 Likes

For me, I’m the opposite, I don’t mind. In terms of my looks, I’m confident and know that my partner is with me for me, else I wouldn’t be with him. And the feeling is mutual.

I get your perspective though. Having a partner (or anyone really) cause you to have those insecurities is worse than ideal. I hate that this happened to you. Sending hugs!

For me, it’s about communication. I know that I like to look, appreciate, and flirt with a person. So at the beginning of my relationship I’ll be honest and find out how they feel, their comfort level. Then I find that we share in looking and appreciating, it makes for a fun conversation each time. Hehehe.
But yeah, it really just depends on the person, trust & comfort levels, and also just good communication.

2 Likes

That’s fair enough because he’s not acting single. Any guy would be proud to show his girl off in that case (sorry if I sound confusing because it’s morning in London lol).

Thanks girl :blush: especially when you’ve been compared to other girls which is huge deal breaker.

That’s a great way of putting it. Thank you for your input.
I guess it depends on the situation. Obviously, it’s not disrespectful to find someone else’s attractive while being in a relationship, just don’t act single.

1 Like

I think this depends on the boundaries you set out in your personal relationship.

For me, I don’t mind when my fiancé calls someone else hot. However, it would make me feel very uncomfortable if he liked someone’s photo behind my back. Pressing “like” on a photo does more than say “I like this”. It signifies to the person who owns the picture that you’re looking and admiring. In my opinion, it’s close to flirting. I personally think you can like something without engaging with it in a tangible way.

2 Likes

That’s true, especially when you agree with a specific post or photo. For example, if a random guy who is happily taken likes my photo or video that happens to be gym related, it doesn’t mean he wants to sleep with me. It’s not like he slid into my DMs and say “I’m bored of my girlfriend, let’s hook up!” That is considered cheating.

Although, I’ve always been victimised by emotionally insecure women because they all think I’ll steal their boyfriends. It’s funny because they’re the ones that end up cheating on the boyfriends.

1 Like

My random opinion: I’m tired of TV shows acting like action is going to be a focus but it never really is. Take Wednesday for example, she had a few fights and was built up to be able to sword fight and know martial arts, but the actual final fight? Anti climax

4 Likes

That’s true. Actual fight scenes only last about 1 minute in screen time.

3 Likes

I noticed that as well and I was like, how is that action?

2 Likes

There is so much generational difference between most young and old people alike. This is common knowledge and whatnot, but the extent of it is insane. I like the progressiveness, but, there’s so much always happening.

4 Likes

Rainy days are better than sunny days. Sunny days really aren’t that great.

4 Likes