Rot and Ruin | Official Thread

Rot and Ruin

It’s just a normal day; birds are chirping, cars are driving around, and the sun is shining. Suddenly, the nation feels like it’s coming to a standstill. News companies are frantically publishing headlines about a “zombie virus” that’s been spotted in Europe. Supposedly, it’s incredibly dangerous. For now, though it’s just rumors. Life continues as normal for a while, since there’s nothing anyone can do based on the vague speculations being reported. That all changes when two scientists from Britain release a public statement. The “zombie virus” is real, and it’s started spreading beyond their control and beyond their monitoring. Those afflicted with the virus stop caring about themselves, becoming agents of the virus and existing only for the purpose of spreading it. The zombies look fairly normal, for now, but act strangely. The scientists end their message with a harrowing warning. It could be anywhere, so do your best to keep yourself safe and do not come into contact with any zombies. The disease has already started affecting the scientists studying it and major cities will soon be overrun with zombies. It’s up to you to save yourselves and perhaps the rest of the world…

Locations: :evergreen_tree:
Characters: :busts_in_silhouette:

Your characters will be able to die or become zombies. Characters’ actions will be monitored and we will use polls in order to track what your characters are doing.

We start the day before the announcement, so your characters should be going around in their daily lives!

Tags

@angelic @unsungcheerio @novella @Ouijaloveletters @Littlefeets @katabasis @Yomama @GlitterFist @elixr @Daunt @idiot.exe @Eccentric @sunflower.flow @ForeverAngel @Kitastrophe @passionfruit @fraud

14 Likes

As an early bird, Hye-Jin woke up and washed her face. She changed into her comfy yoga pants and a grey crop-top. She grabbed her earphones and phone and decided to head out for her daily jog. She slowly closed the door so that Emilia wouldn’t wake up.

She plugged her earphones to her phone and kept it in her pocket. She took the usual route from the 519 to the Baker Avenue Apartments, and then the park which is nearby. It was probably a 1 km run. Hye-Jin took breaks in between and then resumed her jog.

Finally, she reached the park. She spotted a bench and walked towards it to rest for a while. She looked around and saw very few people walking, riding their bicycles, or doing some random thing. Hye-Jin didn’t care. She just wanted to rest for a while, head back to her apartment, and get dressed for her classes. If she remembered correctly, she had a class at 10.

Outfit

APPROACHABLE

6 Likes

Emilia was awoken by the slam of the door. ‘I’m sure it’s just Hye-Jin,’ she rubbed her eyes and sat up. ‘Or is it?’ she gulped and slowly got up without making any noise. She grabbed the pocket knife which was on the table nearby. She looked around to see if anyone was there in her house. There was no one! It was Hye-Jin who thought that she closed the door slowly. Damn her! She sighed and kept the knife back on the table. Her paranoia had gotten the better of her.

Embarrassed by herself, she headed to the shower. After a warm shower, she put on a beige-coloured shirt and some black pants. After locking the door, she headed downstairs and waited for a taxi. Finally, she got a taxi. They headed to the University she worked at. Emilia paid the driver and walked towards the building she had a class at. She reached the class which was… empty. Emilia took out her phone and saw that she was an hour early to class.

She rolled her eyes at herself and sat on her chair. She put her hair up in a bun, put on her glasses and opened the textbook which was kept on the table.

Outfit

APPROACHABLE

If someone is actually there :expressionless:

5 Likes

Adrian was up from his sleep, refreshed and wide awake. He stretched his arms and legs and got up from his bed. It had been a month since he went on a break. He wanted to get away from all the stress, spotlight, and attention, and Hillesden was the perfect place for his little getaway vacation. Adrian wanted to get out of his comfort zone today and explore this place. He googled some places in Hillesden and found the Tsunami National Park quite interesting. It was a really famous place. Adrian got ready with a casual sweater and some jeans on.

He took his car keys, locked his house, and head to his car. He opened Google Maps and set the location to the park. It was a 30 min drive from his house to the park. He parked his car nearby and entered the park. It was really scenic. He hadn’t gone to any place which was this picturesque. The park was surrounded by a small forest, with grasslands in the centre. At the far end as a large lake. He walked towards the lake and badly wanted to go for a swim. But he knew better than to jump into a random lake in public. Though it was probably clean… Still, Adrian thought it was a bad idea. He spotted a few benches and decided to sit for a while before heading back.

Outfit

APPROACHABLE

5 Likes

6ca150c6c759be0317814bf93dddd003

The rays of sunlight peaked through the curtains, casting light upon the flowers on the windowsill. The sound of calming piano music echoed through the room, as Adelaide laid in bed, covered by her blanket. She pulled an arm from beneath the covers, reaching for her phone and grabbing it. Slowly getting up, she pulled up her sleeping mask and silenced the alarm on her phone.

Adelaide placed her phone back on the bedside table, getting up and heading to get ready for the day. Opening her closet door, she skimmed through the outfits she had. She picked out a beige sweater and jeans, changing into it short after. The plants on the windowsill caught her attention, so she headed for the kitchen to fill out a bottle and water them.

She sighed, placing the bottle on the desk in her room, before heading to the kitchen again to make breakfast. Opening the fridge, she took out a few ingredients and made a simple sandwich, packing it into a paper bag and placing it in her work bag. She then put on her shoes and head out the door, taking the elevator downstairs before continuing to the train station.

Once she made it there, she sat down on one or the benches, waiting for her train to arrive. The station was packed with people waiting for their train, it was early morning after all. She reached into her bag to check the time, but wasn’t able to find her phone. She put her face in her hands and sighed, realizing she forgot her phone at home once more.

This is gonna be a looong day. - she thought.

Approachable

Sorry for the essay :star_struck:

6 Likes

“Aisling, Aisling! Wake up!” I groaned, rolling over to face my six year old sister Aoife. “Hmmm…?” I mumbled, glancing at the clock on my bedside table, the glowing numbers reading 7:30. “Aoife, it’s seven thirty…what do you want?” I muttered groggily. “Mom made pancakes! Come on!” Aoife yelled, yanking the covers off me. “Ok, ok, I’m coming…” I said, getting out of bed. After eating breakfast, I decided to go for a run. I walked out the door, telling mom and Aoife that I’d be back later. I put on music, jogging down the street.

Approachable

4 Likes

It was Monday, and that meant that Ayumi had to head to school to go teach her eager students. Even in the early morning, the thought still brought a smile to her face. She loved what she did, and she couldn’t imagine there ever being a time where she didn’t.

Ayumi moved out of her bedroom and into the adjoining bathroom, freshening up. She brushed her teeth and hopped into the shower, then changing into a simple outfit: a black button-up and a pair of jeans splattered with paint.

She headed to the kitchen, grabbing a bowl of cereal and sitting down at the counter, looking through the messages she’d received on her phone. One from her sister, Kaori, confirming that she’d come into Northfield for their parent’s anniversary dinner on the weekend. She sent out a quick reply, then put the reminder on her phone.

It wasn’t long after that Ayumi headed down to Saint Mary’s Primary School, where she worked as an early years teacher.

The kids filed into the classroom, and soon the music she always played before they came in was drowned out by their loud chatter. Most of them wore spring coats, since it was March and still pretty cool. This morning was different, the kids knew, and the ones who wore coats didn’t take them off.

Ayumi clapped her hands to a beat, and after she finished the kids followed the clap exactly, just as they’d been taught to do. She walked to the front of the room, a big smile on her face. “Good morning, class,” she called to them.

“Good morning, Miss. Sato,” they replied in unison.

She took a seat on the desk in the front of the classroom, and as she did so the children filed into their seats as well. Ayumi crossed her legs high at the knee. “Can anyone tell me what we’re doing today?” She asked, her gaze sweeping over the smiling kids.

Many hands shot up into the air. Ayumi picked a particularly eager redheaded girl, Kenna, who was waving her hand frantically in the air. “We’re going on a field trip!”

She smiled, nodding at Kenna. “Yes, we are. To Kensington. That means you lot have to be on your best behaviour, yeah?”

“Yes, Miss. Sato.”

A pause, then a grin overtook Ayumi’s face. “Well, come on then, let’s go!” She hopped off the table and walked to the front of the classroom, before leading them out of the school and onto the bus.

One bus ride later, 27 excited five-year-olds bounded from the steps of the bus and onto the park, running towards a bewildered-looking park ranger who clearly hadn’t worked with kids of this age before. Ayumi couldn’t help but sneak a laugh behind on her hand; he was in for a lot today. The parent volunteers followed after the kids, but Ayumi lingered behind the whole group, taking in the park as she moved along slowly. She did a count of the students, and her brow furrowed as she realized that she was missing one. Her gaze danced across the park, looking for the kid who’d drifted from the group, until—there.

Alex, a pesky, chubby little boy was standing beside a bench where a girl was sitting. Clutched in his fist, Ayumi could see, was some mud that he must’ve picked up from the ground. Her eyes widened. Oh bloody hell, she thought. She started to run, calling, “Alex, put that down!”

Spoiler alert: he didn’t.

Mere centimetres before she’d gotten to the bench, she saw it sailing through the air, towards the poor innocent girl who was the latest victim of Alex’s mishaps.

“And landed!” The boy said, the toy phone his parents had gotten him for his birthday pressed to his ear. “The rocket has landed on the planet!” He crowed, laughing.

@elixr - Hye-Jin

7 Likes

I jogged to a bus stop, deciding to go shopping in Kensington. I waited for the bus for about five minutes, getting on and sitting down to enjoy the half hour ride. Thirty minutes later, I got off the bus, walking down the street to some shops.
Approachable

4 Likes

55cec7d5754032ebf2d9799008293934

The boat swayed near the shore, gently rocked from side to side by the waves. On the seat laid Lottie, the warming sun rays illuminating her face, while the calm sea breeze cooled her down. She opened her eyes, putting her hand over them short after to shield them from the sun. After hearing her stomach growl, she reached for the bag of chips laid next to her and sat up on the bench.

After finishing the bag, she went inside the boat and changed into her swimsuit, planning on going for a swim. Lottie then stood on the edge of the boat, arms spread wide, before throwing herself into the water. Nearly half an hour later, she came out of the water to dry off, changing into her everyday clothes and getting off the boat.

“One day off won’t hurt anyone.”

Lottie plugged her headphones into her phone, placing it in her totally real pocket. She walked along the harbor’s property, scoffing when she reached the Hillesden country club. After a while of walking, she reached the Tsunami National Park and decided to head off into the forest. She sat down below one of the trees, smiling at the peaceful serenity of her surroundings.

Approachable

7 Likes

I walked down the street, singing quietly along to the music blasting through my headphones. I looked around at all the stores, trying to find something that looked interesting. After buying a bag of clothes, I sat down on a bench to rest.
Approachable

5 Likes

Carl felt something sticky on his cheek and he wondered whether it was drool or yesterday’s beer. Without any further contemplations he sat up and stretched out his upper body with a growl. He gazed over the park where he could spot a few joggers and people walking their dogs. There were still one hour or two until the morning rush would set in. I better go to the loo and get something to eat, Carl thought. If he was lucky, some poor student at campus would give him their lunch in exchange for getting a crash course or getting help with their homework from Carl for he had once been a teacher and an excellent mathematician.

Approachable

5 Likes

d9fae421a33e28d27e874e139bf1922f

While resting on the bench and simply looking at what people were up to, she was disturbed by the sound of a bus, followed by children’s chattering. ‘Probably on a field trip,’ she thought because she hadn’t seen any bus with ‘Saint Mary’s Primary School’ written on it since she was 16. It was her the school she studied at! ‘Ah… The good ol’ days.’ she took a glance at her phone and noticed that it was going to be 9.

When she about to get up, a cute, chubby kid walked towards her. “Hello, little guy!” she kneeled and waved at him. She noticed a ball of mud in his hand. Hye-Jin quickly understood what he was going to do. “친애하는 신… google translate, lol” she gasped as he threw the mud on her. It splattered across her shirt and she glared at him.

She was boiling mad. That was her favourite shirt! “Kid…” she took a deep breath. “DIDN’T ANYONE TEACH YOU NOT TO THROW BALLS OF MUDS ON RANDOM PEOPLE YOU DON’T KNOW?!” she yelled, grabbing everyone attention on her. “Oh, fu-” she couldn’t swear in front of a goddamn child. She nervously laughed and looked at the lady behind him. “I-I’m really sorr-y for yelling at your kid! Is that your k-kid?” she sputtered.

@unsungcheerio ~ Ayumi Sato

5 Likes

I noticed a dirty and tired man who looked like he was homeless and sleeping on the bench. I knew people hated me intruding in their business, but I had to at least ask him if he needed help, so I stood up, walking over.
@fraud - Carl-Axel

5 Likes

Carl casually threw his sport bag over the shoulder to head towards the scabby toilet stalls. As he started walking he saw a young woman with ginger colored hair approaching in his direction. Strange, he thought and increased his speed in an attempt to avoid any sort of social interaction.

@Ouijaloveletters ~ Aisling O’Sullivan

3 Likes

The man apparently spotted me, because he speed up. I knew I should just leave it alone, but he was probably hungry. I didn’t have food on me, but I’d totally buy him something. I approached slowly, raising my hand in greeting. “Do you need any help? I’m just curious.” I called over.
@fraud - Carl-Axel

4 Likes

After sitting by the lake for about an hour or so, he heard the rustling of leaves nearby. Adrian decided to check it out because he didn’t have anything else to do, and sitting by the lake was kinda boring him. He got up and walked towards the rustle.

He found a girl leaning on a tree with earphones plugged in. Adrian wasn’t surprised. “Hello?” he called her, but she didn’t respond. Of course, she didn’t respond. She couldn’t hear him. After stupidly calling her for a few times, he placed a hand on her shoulder. “Hey,”

@idiot.exe ~ Lottie Aegae

3 Likes

“Leave me alone, girl”, Carl grunted and tried to wave her away. Unfortunately for him, she didn’t seem to be that easy to get rid off. And in all honesty some food and maybe a drink would sit nice even though it was a bit early, Carl admitted to himself. He tried to remember the last time he got a home cooked meal but stopped himself before he got even grumpier than he already was.

“Alright, what do you want?”

2 Likes

“I just wanted to know if you needed anything. You seem a little…worse for wear.” I said. I wasn’t bothered by the man’s attitude, I was used to people being snappy when I asked if they needed help. I’d leave him alone if he declined again, of course. I wasn’t that pushy. “Sorry, I see someone who looks like they’re in need and I can’t help but try to do something. I’m really sorry if I’m bothering you.”
@fraud - Carl-Axel

3 Likes

She seemed like a sweet girl, but gosh, it sounded rehearsed. Do these people walk up to every drunk in the park? Carl didn’t know this girl and for all he knew she didn’t know him. She probably thought of him as the next broken man needed to be fixed and he didn’t need that sympathy… or was it pity?

”And I’m sorry for not wanting to be your next charity project,” muttered Carl and walked.

4 Likes

The man muttered that he didn’t want to be a charity case, which I fully understood. I opened my mouth to reply, but he’d already walked away. “Well, ok then.” I shrugged, going to get something to eat.
Approachable

5 Likes