Shannii's English Help Thread

So you probably already know I tutor English Language and Literature and I’m a qualified teacher of English as a Foreign/Second Language.

So with that in mind, I want to help you with any of those!

If you need someone to discuss grammar with, or you need some advice on how to answer an essay question or anything like that, I’m here to help!

There are a few rules, though:

• I’m not going to write essays for you. All I can do is help you understand the question, grasp how to write an essay in general, help you plan it and give some tips along the way.

• Ultimately, your teacher is going to have the last say in these things. Sure, I’m just as qualified as your teacher, but everyone has different ways of teaching and grading things, so don’t hold me accountable. I’m only trying to help!

• If you’re desperate to make sure I see what you’ve written, please @ me so that I see it ASAP.

• It’s similar to the first point, but I’m not going to do any work for you. Not just essays. I won’t even fill out multiple-choice questions.

• If you want me to recommend a book or two that will help you sail through your English classes, I will do so! But remember that I am an Amazon Affiliate, so I do earn from qualifying purchases!

With that in mind, please feel free to leave all your questions below! That way, you feel like you’re still doing some school work when you’re here :wink:

15 Likes

This is be so helpful to me, I’ll definitely seek for help when I’m facing any difficulties! Thanks for lending a helping hand to others, it means a lot to people who suck at English. (like me, lol)

6 Likes

I’m always here to help! :smiley: It’s probably a little bit selfish, though, the reason I started this.

I reckon if I help people with their English, they’ll be done with their work quicker and I’ll have more people to talk to when I should be working :joy:

6 Likes

Ahhh, such an amazing thread. I don’t know about others but next time I get a difficult homework in English, I am coming here. :joy::smiley:

4 Likes

Then I’ll definitely come to you during holidays
Our exams fell after holidays and I couldn’t consult my teacher because of that

2 Likes

Sounds good to me!

3 Likes

Bump for Shanni the human thesaurus :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Added a help tag

1 Like

English Bump

@ShanniiWrites rate the English language On a. Scale of 1-10

I would rate it a 0.9999999 but I’m not Shannii

EngliBump

Anyone?

English BUMP

I still wanna help people :smiley:

2 Likes

You can be on the forums and do your work with our Homework Help tag!

1 Like

We’re reading a bunch of books and stuff in my lit class (we’ve read authors like Lovecraft and are now reading Oscar Wilde). What are some cool things that these authors do to look out for/annotate when reading?

Lol idk if this is exactly the kind of thing you were looking for but umm yeah.

1 Like

Hmmmm

For Oscar Wilde, there’s a really interesting debate about whether he was a feminist or not. Feminists of his time seemed to think he was. He begged to differ! I think it’s interesting to read Wilde through a feminist lens, because he very clearly appreciates the male body over the female. I believe he wrote an essay on how much more “aesthetic” men were when compared to women “lol I don’t know a single straight guy, or many bi/pan guys who would ever say that, so it was pretty obvious he was gay from the start”

For Lovecraft? I LOVE cosmic horror and so does @ChaoticDeluge. I’m gonna tap him in so we can bounce off each other :wink:

2 Likes

We’re reading Dorian Grey rn which is hilarious. Dude literally stuffs his head in flowers. I wouldn’t be um able to tell if he was a feminist or not from reading this since all the women are kind of dumb.
And we read stuff by Lovecraft and that was fun!
For these kinds of pieces you have to read it slowly and you can pick up a lot of different things.
It was particularily funny how afraid Lovecraft was of water tho lmao. We made him a seafood menu as a class XD.

1 Like

HP Lovecraft was an enormous xenophobe. Racist, homophobic, all of it. Because he was a hermit.

But interestingly, he was very good friends with gay and black people. While those beliefs bled through into his work, they lessened over time, until in his own biographies and writings towards the end of his life he had turned almost completely 180. It’s interesting stuff, because his stories are very popular in LGBT circles due to their themes of being in alien circumstances and feeling hopelessly alone.

1 Like