Should Politics Be Kept Out Of School?

Politics itself is a very complicated discussion at times, so when it comes to schools, there could be multiple opinions about it.
Personally, I don’t think children in primary schools (4-11yrs old) should have to deal with politics on top of all their other studies. Those schools should be kept politics-free imo. The reason for this is simply that politics is emotional, and often discusses things that are wayyyy too mature for that age range. (abortion, prostitution, ect.) These are things that little kids shouldn’t have to deal with.
Now, before everyone starts going off about privilege and stuff, I am very aware that politics would affect those age groups. I was affected by politics while I was in that age range, but I still believe young children should not have to discuss whether or not their rights matter. its just not right. let them have their innocence for gods’ sakes.
now, for 11+ Yr old, I am of a different opinion. They are now approaching ages in which they are legally allowed to make a difference. and so, I believe that schools should introduce politics, BUT KEEP IT NEUTRAL. By this I mean that students should be shown views from all sides, be taught how to exercise their right to vote, be shown how to do proper research and avoid fake news. politics should be a part of these schools, but they should not show a preference to any side.
once again, with that being said, schools should absolutely be accepting of everyone, no matter if by doing so they become a bit more left leaning. not accepting everyone would be right leaning, and I think that leaning a bit left and actually accepting people is much preferred to both leaning right AND not accepting people.
anyways, that’s my opinion.

@Discussions - What do you guys think?

• Should Politics be kept out of younger schools?
  • Should Politics be kept out of older schools?
  • Why?
  • Do you have any exceptions?
3 Likes

Honestly I feel like children of that age are incredibly suseptable and easy to give bias to because they’re young and less likely to question anything they’re being told and why would they? Alot of children are still innocent and this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to tell them certain things but I do think it’d be hard to ensure it was kept neutral, especially considering views of the people they live with are going to be rubbing off on them anyway.

No, politics should be kept very much in schools and added onto the curriculum of schools that don’t teach it. The voting age where I’m from is 18 but high school ends when you’re 16, at some point inbetween the maturing that happens between 11-16 the views of the child will split from that of their parents. So it’s important they are well informed, that they’re encouraged to think for themselves and that they’re aware of what certain political policies mean for them and for everyone.

This can start when they join and increase as they get closer to voting age.

I do believe in teaching in a neutral way, but with political parties that are actively harmful I think they should be shown that way and you could still do that neutrally by showing the things they support and helping the children understand if they don’t.

2 Likes

I think they should be, I was taught about politics in primary school however we never learnt about parties or policies or anything like that but we had mini elections at the primary school and in the final year you got to make a party with your friends, it was a really fun way of introducing people to the idea of voting. Also probably some of the most fun days from primary that I remember :joy:

That being said, abortion and other such things that are active discussions in other countries aren’t nearly as controversial here, the only big topics anyone discusses is independence and Covid, which are both child friendly :woman_shrugging:

From a young age I was taught about my rights and laws and I don’t think I turned out that badly

2 Likes

Wait, really?

3 Likes

Yeah then you go onto do sixth form college for 2 years or an apprenticeship or something :joy:

2 Likes

It depends on what you mean by “school”. If you mean primary school, absolutely. However, when it comes to secondary school, I think it’s really important to learn about politics.

Of course, there’s no such thing as “apolitical” but I’m going to go with the more obvious definition of politics. In reality, even the things that you choose to cover in history class is a political decision.

You see, people usually get to vote at age 18, depending on where they’re from. Often, they’re just thrown into the deep end at 18 and they have no clue about politics before that point. So, they can’t really engage with politics properly and — if they vote — it’s common for students to realise that they would choose different parties or prioritise different policies if they were more informed.

Personally, I think that we should lower the voting age to 16 because governments can ignore teenagers and their concerns if they don’t have to secure their vote. However, whatever age it is, they should be educated enough to make informed decisions.

No school should push one single type of political opinion. I think that there should be assignments where students discover the policies of all of the major parties in their countries and present their findings to each other. I think all political parties should get a chance to explain their policies to students (as long as the parties aren’t promoting hate) and that students should understand the achievements, history, current news and beliefs of all parties equally. That way, they can make informed decisions.

4 Likes

Yes because children have no clue about politics and they should enjoy being children. It’s really sad to see people brainwashing their kids into politics these days. Trust me, it’s very concerning when they come up with a political view and it could be very chaotic for fellow classmates and teachers.

Very tough question to be honest. Although politics is a subject in school, I feel that students will keep arguing and assaulting each other over political views. But then again, people still do this stuff now! Especially in universities.

Hmmmmm…I’m no longer right wing as I consider myself a centrist. In fact, I care more about common sense than politics. I feel that a lot of people on the right wing of the political spectrum are a bunch of echo chambers, it’s absolutely ridiculous! Especially when the women on the right always talk down on women for wanting to find themselves.
The right seems to always put age on life goals, it’s bloody ridiculous! This is why I left the right a very long time ago! But some people on the left annoy me because when I stay out of things that aren’t relevant to me, I get sh*t for it! Like this one time, I got sick and tired of hearing about the US election (Trump v Biden) and I had one person tried to guilt trip me into caring which made me lose it! I am British, I am not obligated to care about the US politics! I have my own shizz to care about such as the British government and how detrimental it is to humanity! I don’t consider myself a Tory, either!

1 Like

It’s interesting to read this thread for me because the Scottish voting age is 16 - me and my sister voted for the first time yesterday.

Towards the end of primary we learnt more about politics but as I said before those in school ‘elections’ actually taught us a lot about how voting works. The ballots and everything were like at the polling station, including the ballot card (except there wasn’t a regional vote obviously :joy:)

I think learning about the voting system should be encouraged but learning about actual real parties should come later unless you’re doing a topic at the time of an election.

Though I think what I consider politics is different to a lot of people especially in the us because some things there are active discussions but they were decided a long time ago here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My answer to this is no it shouldn’t, obviously there’s a level that I wouldn’t expect schools to go into but I think school should teach the political system in the country, they should teach how to register to vote and if the country has a party system then the teachers should explain that and what each party represents.

As I say, the extremely complicated stuff can be left out, but a basic understanding would be fine!

@Students

• What age do you think schools should start teaching about politics?
  • Do you think they even should teach them at all?

(Moved to school section)

Nah, I think that if it’s taught at a basic (unbiased) level, it could help students to understand politics a lot more.

1 Like

In older grades I think it should be taught how to research political parties and teach them about the sides without bias. Most kids grow up just believing one side because its all they’ve ever heard. I was a republican until I was 25 because I never knew anything about the other side.

Now that I’m more aware of both sides, I’m more likely to form my own opinion instead of following my parents.
Parents probably wouldn’t like schools to do this, but its better imo.

I disagree about younger kids having no idea what politics are because I teach 3rd grade and here in the USA, my students very much know who Trump is and know who Obama is and know who Biden is and are already believing and repeating everything their parents say.

I think the main thing teachers in younger grades should teach is to be kind. Be kind to those who do not have the same belief as you. Be kind to those who are different. Teach how to communicate in a respectful way.

Be kind be kind be kind!

Every once in a while a random discussion will come up in my class and the 8 yrs olds ask questions like crazy about politics, presidents, and rights. Some of them really want to know! It’s so hard to answer!!!

Some things that have come up in the middle of class:

“Do black people not think my life matters?”

“Can I marry a girl?” (Asked by a girl)

Just this past Thursday an 8 year old boy asked what it means to be racist. I just said something simple like, treating someone differently because of the color of their skin. And he says, they could just use more make up and make themselves like us… :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face: I’m like, “Well don’t you think they should be proud of how they are born and who they are?”

It’s often very hard to know how to respond as a teacher.

1 Like

I think politics should be taught, but in a neutral, unbiased way. Just so kids can know what each political party is about. Maybe not until sixth grade, though. Elementary school kids tend to express their parents’ opinions about voting, politics, and things like that. I remember when I was in the third grade, and I had a discussion with a friend about which political party we supported. Both of us basically repeated what our parents told us about that political party.

2 Likes

I repeated what my parents told me til I will 25. :smile:

1 Like

It’s very difficult to teach politics in an unbiased way. Most people feel very strongly about their political stance, so some of the teacher’s opinion will usually seep through.
Even the lack of a political stance in itself is a political stance (for example, centrists in america)

That being said it should definitely be taught, but perhaps in a more complex, biased way, Ie - The students learn about each political party and system from someone who feels strongly for AND against that system, so they can learn the good side and the bad side of each.

2 Likes

This is perfect anything else I’ve said on this thread can be ignored this is what I think now

Yes and no, politics are important to understand yet it’s hard for people to speak without bias. If the bias is gone then I support it. :eyes:

1 Like

I agree with this. It is hard to talk about it without bias. Although, there should at least be a class or two that goes into explanation on each government type, perhaps national party descriptions (if applicable), and even a rundown on election and the importance of voting.

1 Like

I think more info should be taught for sure, about all sides so that kids hear more than just what they hear in their homes.

2 Likes

Exactly. I completely agree. It should be evenly taught, not completely ignored or taboo.

But it can be dangerous for teachers depending on how the parents handle it. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like