Should the possession of marijuana be decriminalized?

To be clear with everyone–first let’s talk about what it would mean to decriminalize marijuana. Rather than if it were legalized, decriminalizing the possession of marijuana would entail reducing potential charges for the possession of marijuana from being criminal charges to civil ones. Essentially, decriminalization would entail less punishment for the possession of marijuana.

• Do you think that the possession of marijuana should be decriminalized?
  • Do you think that legalization of marijuana would be better or worse than decriminalizing it?
  • Do you think that it’s the government’s job to make substances like pot illegal to prevent people from consuming them?

Tagging @ChaoticDeluge for reasons

7 Likes

Yes, it can actually help medical conditions and calm people down.
Better, because so many Ouse it recreationally.
I’d say that’s up to the person. If you want to ruin your life with a serious drug, that’s yo to you.

1 Like

Yes, 100%

In many ways, yes

Dangerous substances? Yes. But marijuana isn’t a dangerous substance by traditional metrics. It isn’t even as dangerous as alcohol. It could also put a lot of clothing companies out of business due to hemp being so versatile and easy to use.

I’d like to just tell people to stay mature here! :eyes: This is a delicate subject for the PG-13 nature of the forums :eyes:

4 Likes

with this caveat in mind, i’m gonna tag @Discussions to hear their opinions :eyes:

5 Likes

It’s already legal for anyone over the age of 19 in my country, and it honestly hasn’t caused any problems, so I don’t see any issues with it

2 Likes

No

Way better

As long as alcohol is legal and weed isn’t I’ll say no

2 Likes

This kept popping up when I was trying to do some research for this thread :eyes: It’s really hard to make a comment about weed being bad when alcohol isn’t even being remotely condemned by the same sources

1 Like

Yeah. At least Marijuana doesn’t make people fly into rages and cause car accidents…usually.

1 Like

Yes. I think it should be decriminalized. Some people use it for medical reasons, and it’s scientifically proven to be less dangerous than alcohol, cigarettes, opioid and many other drugs.

Criminalizing it won’t stop people from smoking it. There are also many other drugs that I know a lot of underage students who smoke it daily.
I just think legalizing it will make it more available to those who may need it for things like anxiety or other medical conditions.
However decriminalizing it may make it even easier for young kids to reach it. I’m actually not quite sure on this argument :thinking:

Id probably have to do more research into this.

I think substances like pot being illegal are just something that shouldn’t be that big of a focus right now. It’s not easy to get addicted to weed— not saying it’s impossible but rather difficult. But I can understand why scientists are still doing research on this drug and why they still don’t fully understand or know this drug.
It’s actually hard to get the government to fund in order for scientists to do further research into this drug. the government isn’t focusing on it as of now, which is why there’s not a lot of funding for it in order for scientists to prove why or why it shouldn’t be legalized.

The government can try to prevent people from consuming this drug but it won’t stop people. I’m not exposing myself :eyes: but if I wanted a blunt right now I could easily get one. That’s the thing, it’s already fairly easily accessible

You can never really stop someone from taking a drug because there’s so many ways they can reach for it.

I haven’t done any research on this topic yet, but this is only based on what I know so far— so do not debate me I’m not ready :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Also that is just based in my country^ Others may differ

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

And it’s been proved that alcohol makes people a lot more violent and aggressive than weed does

2 Likes

The primary argument in support of decriminalizing it in the US, as far as I understand it, is mostly to prevent low level offenses of drug possession from being treated as seriously and therefore reduce their impact on minorities :eyes:

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that :thinking:

1 Like

Weed calms people down, usually.

1 Like

That’s very true. Weed is classified as a depressant because it slows down neurotransmitters

1 Like

Just made this.

See, I’m torn on this subject because marijuana is used for medicinal reasons. I say yes decriminalize it but then you have the people who lace the weed with other drugs. Which is a reason that makes me back off because that is a known danger. The medicinal weed has taken out the THC which is why it’s legal but if it does get decriminalized with the THC in it that could have dire consequences. The THCmakes you hallucinate plus impairs motor reflexes more then the medicinal weed does. You can’t trust anyone to not lace the weed.

1 Like

THC?

1 Like

Yep, I couldn’t remember the acronym for it. Thanks! I will fix it now.

1 Like