Song Writing? 🎵

Hey! I don’t think this has already been made, so I’m going to!

Song writing.

Something that many of us do, something that also intimidates lots of us. For me: it’s both.

Song writing is such a beautiful art form that is so complex, but not really? Everyone who writes songs writes them differently. This art form is very abstract. Whichhh meanssss: EVERY SINGLE PERSON READING THIS CAN WRITE A SONG! As the wonderful Conan Gray said “I think everyone has the ability to write songs, but I don’t think anyone can be taught how to write a song.” And this is so true. Song writing is so different for everyone, because we all get inspired in different ways.

How I write songs

OPTION #1: Sometimes I’ll start with just a tune/melody just popping into my head and then going from there. Then once I have a pretty good foundation, I’ll whip out the guitar, piano, or ukulele and find chords to go with it while I’m still developing and fixing the rest of the song. Don’t worry if you can’t write a song in like 1 hour, it sometimes takes me weeks.

OPTION #2: This way is harder, and sometimes I don’t even get any song out of it. I’ll start just throwing random chords together on my guitar or piano or uke and just try humming something to go with those chords. That part is pretty easy, but the words come a bit tougher this way. I mean once I get going it’s easy, but finding those first few lines can be really tough. Tough to the point where I don’t even finish the song

• How do you write songs???
  • Do you even write songs?
  • If you don’t write songs, would you like to be able to?
6 Likes

I tried writing songs but I got stuck/lazy and I never finished it :eyes:

2 Likes

You should give it another shot!!!

2 Likes

When I have random ideas that may be good, maybe

2 Likes

Yes! That’s how it all starts. I usually record those little tunes on my phone so I don’t forget them!

2 Likes

Hehe
My problem is only the lyrics actually
The tune… I guess I can just make one up? Though I might mix it up with other songs I’ve heard aaaand my memory is real bad, which doesn’t help.

2 Likes

Honestly, this sounds so cheesy and by no means am I a pro, but like it takes practice. I feel like the more you do it, the easier it comes. Ya know? Just like with sports and stuff :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah
I think most things are the same except for studies and exams

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

I tend to start with what I want the song to be about. Then I come up with a riff on bass. Ask somebody to play something over it on guitar. Come up with the lyrics and the basic melody I want it to follow then I allow for feedback.

Obviously I put drums in too.

2 Likes

i dont write songs cuz im always stuck… but i would love to get back into it

2 Likes

I write songs but they r horrible

1 Like

Doubt itt

1 Like

I’ll show u

1 Like

Yayyy!

1 Like
Summary

C4
Just one more day, one more day,
I tell myself, just a little longer.
Just a little longer,
Just a little longer.
Will you hold my hand?
Will you sit with me?
Please?
I don’t wanna be alone with my thoughts,
'cause it gets kinda lonely.

So I saved a seat for you,
In my mind,
In my soul,
In my heart.

C3
Won’t you take it,
Won’t you take it,
Won’t you take it.
Why won’t you take it?
Why won’t you take it?
Why won’t you take it?

C4
It’s almost three, almost three,
I tell myself, just a little longer.
Just a little longer,
Just a little longer.
Will you walk with me?
Will you go to the movies?
Please?
I don’t wanna sit alone, tonight,
'cause it gets awful lonely.

So I saved a place for you,
In my mind,
In my soul,
In my heart.

Please take it,
Please take it,
Please take it.
Why won’t you take it?
Why won’t you take it?
Why won’t you take it?

There’s a place for you, (please take it)
In my mind, (won’t you take it?)
In my soul, (please take it)
In my heart. (In my heart)

Please take it,
Please take it,
Please take me.

3 Likes

That’s not even that bad!!! By C3 and C4 you mean notes right? So are all of those words just one note? :laughing:

1 Like

No? It’s not done lmao.

I’ve write cringer stuff that will never see he light of day again

1 Like

:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

It sounds good to me! I like it.

And about this songwriting, it depends. Usually, it’s a mix. Sometimes I play random chords on my guitar and sing some random words to it or I just make a random melody in my head. When I think it has potential, I try to work on the melody first and then the lyrics, I change it like 573727696368 times annnnnnnnd… I guess those songs sometimes are good

2 Likes