The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a song written by Gordon Lightfoot about the ship the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking on November 10th, 1975 on Lake Superior. Let me tell you, the lake really lives up to its name. The deepest part is 1’300ft deep. Now, the ship only sank 530ft deep in the Ontario side of Superior. She was known as The Titanic of the Great Lakes for her size, measuring at 729ft. No one is sure why she sank, but I read she snapped in two like a toothpick. It’s believed she took on too much water to remain buoyant. The lyrics “The lake, it’s said, never gives up her dead.” Is true. All 29 bodies of the sailors have never been recovered. There were no survivors. Here is a picture of her:

Ernest M. McSorely, the captain:
The song:

@Music @unsungcheerio @Caticorn and @Skyler2 (I’m tagging you guys because I think you may find this interesting since she sank on your side.)

3 Likes

Forgot you were Canadian, Skyler. Sorry.

1 Like

It’s fine, most of the time I forget too.
I’ve actually never heard of this boat. Or it’s wreck.

2 Likes

I was listening to a completely different song when I remembered it. This song also reminds me of her:

1 Like

I can’t remember where I heard of her. I haven’t lived in Michigan for a long time. I miss the winters, unlike my mom, lol.

1 Like

Heh, funny.

1 Like

Wow, blind my eyes why don’t ya.
What’s so funny?

I literally had no idea that Michigan was so close to Ontario until now :eyes:
I know more about the politics of America than Canadian geography.

2 Likes

Oops-the song I showed you is by Poor Man’s Poison. Look at the recommended thread.

1 Like

Yeah, my mom would drive over the border to drink in college.

I was born in Midland.

1 Like

I like light mode, don’t ask me why. I guess the contrast is ironical easier on my eyes.

1 Like

Your mom’s a genius. If only I lived near Germany :thinking:

1 Like

Did you know Superman ice cream was invented in Michigan?

1 Like

I have never heard of Superman Ice cream

1 Like

Exactly why I want to go to Germany, lol. At least you only have to wait until you’re eighteen. Two more years for both of us. I’m nineteen.

1 Like

That’s not me. It’s named after the red, yellow and blue of his costume.

I thought it was 16?

Ahhh, still had no idea it existed

1 Like

In Germany. I’m talking about Canada. Isn’t 18 the drinking age?

1 Like

Oh, yeah 19’s legal drinking age. I think. I have absolutely no idea.

1 Like

Booking flight now. Lol.

Mackinac fudge. Pronounced Mak-in-aw.

1 Like