Transgender people on the screen

Over the years, representation of transgender people on both the silver screen and the small screen has increased significantly. They can now be found in many different genres of films and tv shows.

• What do you think about the current representation of trans people on screen?
  • Do you have a favourite transgender character?

Feel free to discuss your thoughts!

7 Likes

Oof, tbh I’ve not seen any trans characters or actors on Dutch TV at all, nothing…

4 Likes

Adam Tores from Degrassi.

2 Likes

I think that there really aren’t a whole lot of shows that portray trans characters :thinking: I can only remember one from Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I wish there were more good trans characters shown in TV and in movies :pleading_face:

1 Like

I really like the character Jules from Euphoria-

2 Likes

Are we counting enby’s as trans people?
'Cause then there was Yael from degrassi :thinking: I don’t remember seeing many others tho hm

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think so.

1 Like

Oh well I’ve heard a lot of people consider enbys to be trans :woman_shrugging:t5: because of um dysphoria or the actual definition of trans or something

3 Likes

Yeah, enby people count as trans! Yael was an important character for me because they were one of the first enby characters I’ve seen who binds.

2 Likes

I mean, I can agree.

1 Like

A little fact not many people know is that the white stripe in the trans flag is for enby people!

1 Like

NB is a kind of trans :eyes:

2 Likes

Oh yeah…I heard about that. Ok then.

1 Like

One of my enby friends calls themselves Trans, the other doesn’t.

2 Likes

It’s entirely up to the individual

2 Likes

Aww and that canadian representation :partying_face:
But I found it really interesting to have them as a character, they helped me learn and empathize with enbys a lot more.

4 Likes

That too! The actor who played Tiny is one of my school’s alumni!

1 Like

Wait bro seriously :face_with_hand_over_mouth: That’s a mega flex
Was there like a degrassi screening there when it came out :laughing: Oh my God do some of the teachers remember him?

I know Alessia Cara went to my school district, and when I was in elementary school they were so obsessed with her lmaoo like we did so many dances

2 Likes

He and two of his friends (also graduates from my school) came and spoke to my drama class about film school and the film industry

1 Like

Ahhh that’s so cool wowwww I’d be massively fangirling :laughing: