Underappreciated Mythical Creatures!

People use all kinds of mythological monsters and creatures in their writing. Over the years it’s become more acceptable to use certain creatures than others. Vampires are always a very popular choice, werewolves too. Zombies exploded in the last few decades especially. But those aren’t the only creatures you can use in a story!

I have my favourites from among the pack when it comes to those creatures who are very underappreciated. How about the Arachne? Part woman, part spider. Endless possibilities of how the mix works! Centaurs get a lot of love, but they’re usually men. How about centaur women? How cool would that be? Or maybe a harpy! Those are always villains, but birds can be very cute! Am I just listing off the main cast of Monster Musume? Maybe so! Because lamias are also absolutely amazing and deserve way more love than they get! Part snake, part woman? Come on, how much cooler does it get?

I do however, have a couple that haven’t really been in many stories at all. Like the Pontianak. A ghostly girl whose soul has been stolen away, a black hole left in her back in its place. Or, how about a Glaistig? Otherwise knows as the green lady. A woman dressed usually in green with the hooves of a goat instead of human legs. She acts much like a siren, luring men into the woods and dancing them to death!

So, are there any underappreciated mythological monsters you can think of?
Any that you would particularly like to read a story about?
Can you think of interesting ways to modernise some of your favourite mythological creatures in the same way vampires and werewolves have been?

Why is this pointless and vampires will never toppled as the dumb romance go-to for people with no imagination? :eyes:

12 Likes

Omg I love the sound of this. I wonder if there’s much art out there?

2 Likes
Busty Centaur Here

https://i7.pngguru.com/preview/752/812/998/monster-musume-a-centaur-s-life-lamia-female-centaur.jpg

There is Monster Musume, but…

Yeah maybe some less… Busty art? :eyes:

I could see centaur women being awesome in high fantasy stories!

2 Likes

I like Hydra

1 Like

Oooh, we do like a hydra!

1 Like

Manticores are pretty rad but I don’t think I’d get into a relationship with one :thinking:

4 Likes

Nagas
Lamia
Hydra
Cerberus
Banshee
Succubus
Incubus
Will O the wisp
Manticore
Chimera
Wyverns
Wendigo
Arachne
Selkie
Kelpie
Cyclops
Scylla
Kitsune
Gargoyle
Mothman
Thunderbird
Griffin
Harpy
Basilisks
Cockatrice
Hippocampus
Sphinx
Echidna
Valkyrie
Nymphs
Oni
Golem
Werejaguar
Dryad
Yokai

5 Likes

Woah that’s a long list

4 Likes

I’m a huge mythology nerd so I had to include some of my favs

3 Likes

Interesting

1 Like

But would you keep one as a pet? :eyes:

Snekkie sneks

I did mention this, lamias would be great for romance!

Yesss

Doggo with more heads to pet :eyes:

Banshees are always fun. Lethal, happy, fun

These are great fun, incubi aren’t used enough imo!

Brave :hearts:

Hell yeah! Those taaaiils :eyes:

Many animals, we like many animals

They don’t have hands, is so cute ;-;

So much mythology behind this :smile:

Yusssss

We need more selkiieeeees!

I see the kelpies a lot >.< Giant steel ones near where I live

Cute, one-eyed peeps

This is definitely a rare one, we like the snekkie ones

Foxies \o/

Like the cartoon :eyes:

lol, he is a meme

Yessss, puppets :joy:

I was gonna go through all of them but I’m lazy, they’re all great

1 Like

Cerberus is my favorite, I would love to have one as a pet.

3 Likes

YES

3 Likes

Which one from these would you like to keep as a pet ??

1 Like

I feel that ever since Twilight people are confessing vampire with actual sex demons.

2 Likes

Kitsune, Nahual, Impundulu, Jörmungandr, Fenrir, Wendigos, Spirit Animals, Griffins, Hippogriffs, Hippocampi

3 Likes

also why does every vampire story have to have some sort of weird blood fetish in it?

3 Likes

Sirens! Mermaids are great but sirens need more praise!

7 Likes

Griffin’s.
Kelpies.
Nyads.
Harpies.
Wendigos
Sea dragons
Wyverns

4 Likes

Selkies - mythical creatures that can change from seal form to human form by shedding their skin

4 Likes