Unpopular Writer/Reader Opinions

So as a reader and possibly a writer, you fall into a huge and worldwide community of people that have similar interest. That being said, people are complex, opinionated, different. We all have different/similar, semi similar thoughts on the ways books are written or how to write them with a reading/writer perspective.

Is there any unpopular opinions, or feelings you have towards tropes, ways of writing, characters, etc?? Why do you think that way? What could be better to replace those things you dislike, and why should they really be replaced in the first place? I’m curious to know what you have to say!

@Writers

4 Likes

Don’t think this is unpopular but… slavefic isn’t romantic. It’s disgusting. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Ok I’m gonna say that to me, this is unpopular but it’s still the opinion I hold. But there are definitely people worse with me on this.
I think that you can enjoy reading something with seriously harmful tropes as long as you are aware of the harm and aware that it’s wrong, it can be like a guilty pleasure read.
(Not talking about ACTUAL racist/sexist books that outright promote really bad things, in that case if I knew that I wouldn’t read the book/support the author).
TW mentions SA

So rn I’m reading a story where the love interest essentially r*pes the MC and then they end up being cannon. I know that’s messed up. It’s simply brushed over in the story. I hate that the author doesn’t even acknowledge it, but at the same time, it’s kind of a guilty pleasure read for me cuz the writing is very good. It is also set in a different time period - which doesn’t justify it obviously but that’s also something to put into consideration. But there are seriously some people that ignore it entirely and constantly talk about how sweet the LI is… Like no, he loses being called “sweet” after what he did.

1 Like

A lot of “enemies to lovers” is really just bully romance and people need to to learn the difference between the two.

6 Likes

YIKES!

2 Likes

Yeah I think love interests can be witty and there can be tension there but unless one’s a superhero and the other is a villain then I’m gonna hate it because it’s honestly so overdone. Like your next-door neighbor across the street that one-ups/insults you all the time isn’t your “enemy”.

2 Likes

I actually enjoy mean girls in stories as long as they aren’t the stereotypical rich, blonde daddy’s girl that is dating/obsessed with the LI.

4 Likes

That’s what I thought.

Bullying ain’t cute, it’s traumatisising! It sickens me that people glorify bullies when this happens every freaking day!

4 Likes

I enjoy stories where the protagonist is not good or evil, just a misunderstood human being.

2 Likes

I love villains. Villains are more interesting. More realistic.

2 Likes

SAME!!!

It’s more realistic when the protagonist is a villain. For example, an Episode story called Home Wrecker by Joriemar is really good!! I had to read it again because the plot was well written!!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

I LOVE VILLAINOUS MCs WHERE THEY DON’T TURN GOOD IN THE END AND DESTROY THE ENTIRE WORLD HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHA

2 Likes

High five!

Makes the story more interesting.

2 Likes

I know right! :weary:
I’d love to see the MC kill the LI/hero who tries to make her ‘good’ but she’ll be like ‘fxck you!’

1 Like

Or a story where the MC who’s ‘good’ vibes more with the villain and joins them lmao-

1 Like

Hahah yes!!!

Funny how we are discussing this.

I’m working on the novel where the MC isn’t good or evil, she’s very misunderstood. She has a split personality. One that is very bubbly, flirty and childlike and her alter ego is aggressive but protective (the alter ego is an assassin who kills off bad people like paedos, r*pists, abusers and traffickers). But in the future, I will write about the alter ego which will have a completely different story, not relevant to the first book I’m working on.

1 Like

Ooh, interesting… :eyes::sparkles:

1 Like

Yeah hehe.

The story may confuse you tbh because the protagonists are succubi. One is straight and the other is asexual (the assassin).

Ever since I started writing that novel, I made so many changes in the story.

1 Like

Is it on any writing platform??

1 Like

Unfortunately no because of how graphic it will be (the raunchy scenes and the gory scenes). It’s all written on a Word Document tbh, I’m not sure when it will be released.

1 Like