What are your recurring themes?

So this question got asked in a FB group that I’m part of and I thought it would make a good discussion here.

Do you have a repetitive theme/trademark (e.g symbolism) in all your stories?

5 Likes

I’ll start.
After thinking about it, I realised that pretty much all my stories contain a stalker element. It may not be a major part of the plot, but it’s there :rofl::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

despite the fackt I dont write romance. I always have a love story in my stories.

also most stories do kinda have the same idea but diffrent starts. I dont really know to explain them though

1 Like

Most of my stories at the moment focus on prejudice and inequality. I never meant for that to be a thing, but the witches in The Good Witch have to live in hiding out of fear of being burned at the stake. The humans in The Darkest Heart are being farmed like cattle by the vampires. In When I’m Gone, the racial tension between faeries and humans sparks a war. The Queen of Freaks is post-war when faeries are being used as slave labour

So I guess freedom is also a big theme in my stories. Plus, most of my protagonists are fighters in some way: in When I’m Gone, Meera is a soldier for the human side, fighting against her faerie friends. Evanna in The Queen of Freaks has to lead the faerie freedom group. Sara in The Good Witch finds out awful news and needs to fight intellectually to save the humans who are persecuting her kind. In The Darkest Heart, Amara is the leader of the rebel group, like Evanna, but she founded it herself

4 Likes

My recurring theme is betrayal and past love. Most of the time both have to do with the main plot or are secondary plots in the story. Since I don’t feel like spoiling the story for anyone, I’m not going into major details. It’s also a recurring theme in my newest story I have been working on. I have no idea why I have the automatic need to write these themes. I don’t have a just one main character or main plotline in each story either. I feel like this might be from reading Christine Feehan and Sherrillyn Kenyon books so much.

3 Likes

I tend to focus on guilt as a theme.

4 Likes

Fantasy and Mystery I guess but I’ve only done two so… XD. I’m thinking of maybe writing some horror as well.

1 Like

Humour and bad boys. Every single story.

3 Likes

My recurring themes are revenge and ambition, for some reason. In “Mysterious Northview”, the villain is extremely ambitious and wants power over the supernatural and human realm. In “Clue: In Cold Blood”, mainly Absinthe but other characters as well are ambitious and want money and fame. The murder victim, Veronica Carrington, wants revenge for her death and haunts the characters. In my new story, the ex-wife wants revenge on the main character for her death.

1 Like

Oppression or rebellion from a mistreated group. :skull: That’s for fantasy though.

1 Like

Revenge, ambition, betrayal, and that one character who you think is unrelated to the plot but actually is

1 Like

… Retribution and forgiveness.

Oh, and, of course, destroying established power structures to introduce new and better ones :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Death and moral debate with good and bad :eyes:

Some kind of negative emotions and death… I guess that’s part of why I will never publish any stories :eyes::sparkles:

Most of mine have fantasy. Each episode story I published (except for one) I set in the same universe, though people wouldn’t necessarily know. Which had vampires, werewolves, etc. Dystopian settings tend to be common for me as well, but that’s because I love a dystopian or magic/fantasy story.

Other than those, a romance element is always present. Even in stories I never finished I had a love interest planned. One of those true love soulmate type of things.
The other most common is death of course. What better way to be cruel and brake an MC down than to have people they care about die or have horrible things happen to them.

Medium bump

Also, substance abuse problems. I’m very transparent xD

4 Likes

Apparently showing different, healthy kinds of masculinity is a big thing in my stories, too.

I have a toxic male character (who is a love interest, yes), but he’s not toxic because of “toxic masculinity”. He’s just kinda messed up because of what the government did to him, his family and his people.

The other love interest, who I love much, much more, is protective, caring and strong, but that has nothing to do with the need to “act like a man”. He’s a good guy who loves protecting the people he loves! In fact, it’s by ditching the need to bottle his feelings that he becomes happiest. I think it shows that there’s not only nothing wrong with men being emotionally open, but that it’s actually necessary and brings you closer to the people you love.

7 Likes

I think I kinda tend to do this as well, but that might be because toxic masculinity has f*cked me up massively throughout my personal life and I don’t really want my characters to go through that :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Medium small bump

1 Like