What is your favorite Manga? Looking for recommendations?

I’m going to list my favorite manga that I’ve have read and still reading even today. For those who don’t know what manga is. It’s a graphic novel book that similar to a comic but with no color added to it. Manga is based out of Japan where it dates back to the 12th century on scrolls. It’s a famous tradition passed down through the ages that have been a hit for the manga community which is even bigger than it use to be. I tend to either by the books from the book store or read them on www.viz.com. If you want to read manga without paying for though I do not recommend this way since it takes away the revenue that the author would get. I would check out www.mangafox.com but be wary about the ads on the site.

Bleach
My top favorite manga I read was Bleach. I have most of the manga but not all of it. I love the show as well. I hope they decide to show the last arc of the manga. Everyone has been hoping they will finish the show properly for a good while now. You can still buy this manga in your bookstores, ebook stores too. I recommend www.viz.com for the manga it’s easier to read the little print on in certain parts of the manga. Bleach follows the life Ichigo Kurosaki who has the powers to see hollows, spirits that have become corrupt because they didn’t cross over. He runs into Rukia Kuchiki, who is a soul reaper from a different dimension. He decides to help her out after he was the cause for her getting badly injured. Her powers went into him causing her to lose her status as a soul reaper which causes an uproar in the Soul Society where she is from.
Years Active: 2001-2016
Volumes: 74

Chibi Vampire
I read this whole series which I really love the plotline. It’s another one of my favorites to read. It has a different way of going about your average Vampire story. They did make a show but the show finished way before the manga did. I wish they will make a reboot on this series soon. This series can be bought in any bookstore and ebook store. The story follows Karin Maaka, a young teenager whose family are vampires. Unlike most vampires, Karin doesn’t drink blood, she goes to school during the daylight and eats human food. She actually makes too much blood in her body and if she close to someone in despair she will have a nose bleed if she doesn’t bite them. Kenta Usui being the main person to activate her power is always ends in strange situations with her and gets the wrong idea about her. You will need to read the books to understand what I mean.
Years Active: 2003-2008
Volumes: 14

Fruits Basket
This is a really good manga. It goes over many sensitive topics throughout the books. I enjoyed reading this series. I’ve always liked reading about the different Chinese zodiac which is what this series is based on. Basically, the Soma family is cursed to become members of the zodiac. If touched by someone of the opposite gender they will turn into their zodiac form. A girl named Tohru Honda turns the tables for the whole family. She brings in the one thing that the Soma family had been missing but it took a lot of effort for that to happen. I highly recommend this manga as well as the new anime show. The new show plays true to the manga this time around but the old animes series is just as good as the new series. This series is still buyable.
Years Active: 1998-2006
Volumes: 23

Black Cat
One of the best mangas I have ever read! It’s one of the first series of graphic novels that caught my attention. I’m into action pack stories which are an understatement for this series. This is one of the few series I actually finished reading when I was younger. Still love it even now. I might need to buy a few volumes again because I lost them. More like someone never brought them back to me. Yes, still salty about that even now. They made an anime based on this manga but unfortunately, it suffered the same fate as most early 2000 animes that finished before the manga series did. I wish they would make a remake of this series. The series follows Train Heartnet, a bounty hunter who use to be an assassin for an organization called Chronos. He left the organization on the way me Sven another bounty hunter who he paired up with to work as bounty hunters. One bounty brings Train’s past to light which causes chaos for those around them. Now, not only does Train and Sven have to deal with Chronos but they also have to deal with Train’s former partner Chrollo, who has become a mad man. The series is awesome which I recommend people to read! It’s still buyable as well.
Years Active: 2000-2004
Volumes: 20

What is your favorite manga? Why do you like it? If you are looking to read manga what type of stories are you looking for? I can give recommendations if you want me to!

@Discussions

13 Likes

I’m gonna tag @ChaoticDeluge in with this one!

4 Likes

Naruto was pretty good. Slow start for the action. The anime was good. But the break between Naruto and shippuden was long. So thought I would see what the source material was like.

Strike the blood is good too. Its about a human who suddenly becomes the 4th progenitor of vampires. He trys to have a normal life while protecting his him from Supernaturals that wish to destroy his Island home.

4 Likes

So, it’s not a manga perse, but this series has a novel/comic, and it’s superb!

It’s called: Mo Dao Zu Shi (or in English it translates to Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) Since the original is in Chinese, it provides it in a bunch of languages for captions.

I recommend watching this if you have spare time on your hands!

2 Likes

I’m currently really enjoying phantom tales of the night, it’s kinda a new one I picked it up in the book shop and I think I’m on volume 4(?) But it’s definitely worth the read. I also have every volume of tokyo ghoul and tokyo ghoul re. The manga is far better than the anime so I suggest giving it a go, the art is really rad.

1 Like

I have never heard of Strike the Blood, I will need to check that out. I actually never read the manga of Naruto except for the volumes 50-60 I think. I was waiting on new episodes at the time.

I will check that one out then. It does seem interesting.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to read the Tokyo Ghoul manga! I’ve most of the show already.

1 Like

What is Phantom Tales about?

1 Like

Basically it’s kinda a horror but it’s more unsettling than actually scary which is what makes it a good read. Basically there is an inn that only appears to certain people, the inn keeper doesn’t have a name but in order to stay there you have to pay in secrets which becomes pretty sinister. Every volume has 3 different tales from 3 different guests (supernatural and human) and they’re all pretty creepy :joy: and there is an ongoing story with the guy who is basically hunting the inn keeper. It’s really good.

1 Like

Infact I have a picture of one of them on my phone

Summary

1 Like

Interesting, reminds me of Hell Girl kind of.

1 Like

With regards to Manga? I can throw together a quick top ten. It’s very different to my favourite anime, though, lol. Manga is a different medium and I look for different things :eyes:

10: Noragami

9: My Hero Academia

8: Uzumaki

7: Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

6: Bleach

5: Berserk

4: Twin Star Exorcists

3: Fullmetal Alchemist

2: One Piece

1: Soul Eater

2 Likes

Nice, I’ve read Fullmetal Alchemist which is another one of my favorites. What is Uzumaki?

2 Likes

Has anyone read Bofuri?

A friend recommend it and not sure if I should give it a go

2 Likes

I haven’t read it before. @ChaoticDeluge and @anon68003072 have you two read it?

2 Likes

I have not! I’m curious :eyes:

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Junji Ito! Horror manga, it’s incredible :eyes:

1 Like

Interesting, I will have to check that out then!

1 Like