What it's like to be a staff member

I thought I’d make this thread as a means of opening up and allowing the staff to talk about how they think it is being a staff member on here. I think there are alot of misconseptions and stuff which I’m glad we could help clear up in the anonymous staff questions thread here

But this thread is more an opportunity to shine a light on and discuss being a staff member on here!

For one thing, it requires alot of work. You shouldn’t join if you are adverse to work :joy: simply for the fact that even though it is voluntary there are certain expectations we hold! I love our staff team because everybody always seems to do above the minimum so honestly all I have to say is that while having power is rad, it’s not something that comes lightly there is so much effort and stuff that goes on behind the scenes!

So I’ll tag the @ForumStaff and we can all talk about how we feel being staff and answer any questions people may have.

27 Likes

It’s fulfilling, it’s stressful at times, it’s difficult and it’s fun as all hell.

At times people annoy me, but usually I love everyone who helps make this Forum the place it is

9 Likes

Now this is interesting :eyes:

5 Likes

I just want to give my opinion on this as an ex-staff member. Yeah, it is a lot of work and things keep coming up which made it take up quite a bit of time, but it’s also extremely rewarding and fun to do. I had an amazing time being one, legit probably some of the best months of my life, and I definitely learned useful stuff for the rest of my life, including some working experience. I also got to know myself so much better. But I got to meet and work with some amazing people, it’s something I will never forget!

7 Likes

I have definitely made some really good friends in my time with the staff since we all talk to each other and communicate alot it’s hard not to get to know one another. :joy:

5 Likes

… It does? I never noticed :eyes::eyes::green_heart::no_mouth:

I made some eyemazing friends and learned some interesting stuff, but I still tend to run away from responsibilities and conflict :eyes::eyes:
I would only recommend joining if you’re okay with working in a group, as we usually talk a lot :eyes::eyes::green_heart:
It can be frustrating sometimes when you feel like something doesn’t work the way you wanted it to, but overall it has been a nice experience :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:
And I’ll hopefully succeed at turning all staff members into ducks soon :eyes::eyes::green_heart::duck:

3 Likes

Wow what a trooper :joy:

There is alot of work Hanna, even if you don’t know you’re doing it

2 Likes

There many tasks we have to accomplish each week. It can be a lot of work but once you get the hang of it the reward is so much better. There are times where we go over serious issues that have to be taken regardless of who the user is or the rule break made but we do this so that the users can have a respectful forums to be themselves. We also joke around when it’s something that everyone enjoys which is huge range of things for the whole team. You have to be willing to work as a group otherwise the team breaks apart. There are times when it can stress me out but other times I have with everything I do on here with the team.

2 Likes

To keep this thread alive I will say that being a head in particular is rad because without wanting to sound creepy or anything it’s rad to be able to work this close with @ShanniiWrites I used to read her story on episode while curled up in my chair now I can message her casually as a friend, to me that’s crazy :joy: in a good way!

2 Likes

@ForumStaff Any more experiences?

4 Likes

:sob: STAHP you’re killing me here!!!

And what you realised is that I’m actually mentally unstable and I’m not as mean as I seemed on the Episode forums?

5 Likes

Aren’t we all?

3 Likes

I never thought you were mean! :joy: I just thought you were way more grown up than me because the things you talked about were very much things I associated as “grown up” baring in mind I was still growing myself, I grew into the things you were talking about and then I understood. With that said I know you are equally as silly as you are serious :wink:

I think you’re 100% rad in every way, from your writing to the amount of things we have in common. I’m glad I came to this forum and got the opportunity to work together.

4 Likes

Well, I think being a staff member is loads of fun. I love this forums and getting to know everyone on this forums which means that I enjoy keeping it fun (ehm lol, I just enjoy it) and help to run it smoothly. Like El said, it is a lot of work. Mostly fun work but it is a lot. Especially for our heads who have some more responsibilities.

I really could do this all day, but we all have other responsibilities outside the forums as well. So yes, although it’s fun work it’s still work which you have to be prepared for lol. I didn’t say anything about being a staff member… did I? :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s really cool because I get to experience pretty much every aspect of the forums and get involved in all sorts of discussions. I’m fairly certain that if I wasn’t a staff member, I’d never leave the rp section.

3 Likes

All other staff members are somehow always active in the chat when I go offline, and then I come back to 30+ notifications and get scared :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

5 Likes

We do it to scare you

5 Likes

:pleading_face::broken_heart:

4 Likes

Added discussion tag!

2 Likes

I used to be a staff member, and it was an amazing experience. The forum staff are wonderful and I learned many things. You get to know people you’d never be friends with. I gained lots of experience and became a better person. :hugs::white_heart:

4 Likes