Would you consider becoming a teacher?

If you are already a teacher, what’s it like?

I’ve been a teacher for almost ten years now. At first, it was extremely difficult. It’s not just getting up in front of a group of kids and giving instructions. There are lots of things you have to deal with, depending on the school you’re teaching at, the principal, co-workers, kids, parents, and the grade you’re teaching.
The very first class I taught did not pay attention to my instructions at all and were very rude and disrespectful. They barely passed and did horribly on exams. They were always talking while I was talking, and I frequently argued with them and lost my patience.

Don’t. Do. That
Never argue with a student! It is a waste of time, and if you stoop to their level, they will treat you that way.

Over the years, I’ve had both good and bad groups and learned more about classroom management and how to connect with the kids. I’ve taken courses that were extremely helpful, but experience is the best way to learn how to teach.

10 Likes

Funnily enough when I did work experience at the Primary school everybody there assumed I wanted to be a teacher (very understandable considering where I was) so they gave me advice on teaching skills and stuff, basically though, the kids somehow knew that even though I’m 18 and technically an adult, I’m not a grown up :joy: so they knew I wouldn’t be very…adulty should I say :joy: and boy they got away with alot of stuff like going to the toilet (I know arrest me I let kids go to the toilet) after the 2 weeks I spent there I decided teaching wasn’t for me even though the kids were rad. I got to help the nursery kids at lunch which was both gross and adorable.

3 Likes

I’d work with autistic kids. I am one, so I feel like I’d be the best equipped.

3 Likes

I would consider becoming a teacher when I get a bit older and have gained some more experience. I don’t think I would be a good teacher if I became one now or within the nearest years. I would also like to explore some stuff outside the school environment (you could do that being a teacher too, but I just want a break from school).

3 Likes

Me and my sister were actually talking about being teachers yesterday and I’ve been thinking about if I would ever become one.
At first I was strongly against being a teacher because I didn’t want to deal with kids testing my patience but now, I don’t think I would completely hate it.
If I was to be a teacher, I think I would prefer being a primary school teacher. This is because, I love kids, I enjoying working with them although sometimes they can be really annoying. I’ve worked and helped look after kids at my church and I had work experience at a nursery so I have a rough idea on how working with them is like. I also really miss primary school so going back as a teacher would be great lol. I also wouldn’t mind becoming a teacher because I think I’d enjoy trying to make a difference in the students life. Even if I fail to do that, at least I’ll be trying.
If I was to ever become a teacher, the things I would not look forward to is dealing with the kids parents and grading work. I’ve read a lot of posts and and comments on Twitter and from teachers about their experience and how much they have to go above and beyond because of low funding and all that and I really admire teachers for that.

3 Likes

No sorry! :sweat_smile: It’s not for me, I’m impatient, kinda rude and I don’t really like kids. :eyes:

3 Likes

sometimes i do because i want to teach kids. but i hate kids

3 Likes

Haha!

1 Like

I’m honestly not very good with kids

If I were to be a teacher, Imma be like ma boi Snape, so no!

1 Like

Yeah, good idea…we don’t need another Snape. One will ALWAYS be enough. See what I did?? :sob:

3 Likes

Yes!!! He didn’t deserve to die :sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

:sob:

1 Like

3 Likes

I sincerely doubt that I would be a good teacher because I’m impatient, don’t like kids, and suck at explaining things.

4 Likes

Snape, why?! Ouija.exe has stopped working

3 Likes

Me! :raising_hand_woman:t2:

3 Likes

At least you’re fun to talk to for an hour while waiting for stuff to install itself :rofl:

you were plenty helpful with getting it done

3 Likes

For me, the worst is grading papers and dealing with parents. In middle school, you deal less with parents than in elementary or preschool, at least.
I’ve always worked in the private school system, so the school pays for most things and they have someone who makes copies for us so we don’t have to wait at the copy machine during our free hours. But we do have to pay if we want anything extra, like decorations for our classroom or personal supplies.

4 Likes

I wasn’t :joy:

But good that I was fun to talk to :+1:t3:

3 Likes