Writing competition november 2019

I feel kinda bad because I’m the only one who’s joined yet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Some people may be submitting on the deadline there is still loads of time! Don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

hey that’s completely fine, plus you get to say that you were the first to submit, and what you submitted is very good!

2 Likes

If people won’t submit something till a day before the deadline then I’ll probably also be the second one to submit :sweat_smile: And thanks :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Just a reminder there are 10 more days to enter!

I’d love to! But as the owner, I don’t think it’s fair of me to join. I might do a piece on the side and share it, though!

1 Like

Oh dear okay I’m gonna start writing then

I’ve got another entry ready but I’m not sure if I should post it :see_no_evil:

1 Like

You totally should! You’re great at writing and you’ll have two chances at winning.

I wouldn’t say I’m great, but thanks :see_no_evil: It’s not really about having more chances at winning, I’m just never really sure what others will think if I do this or that (in this case: what will others think if I’m posting two stories?) Bad thing to do, I know :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So here’s my second entry

A cold day in the North

Kalda
I hate winter. Here, in the middle of nowhere, it’s always cold, but in winter, we also get snowstorms. As I have to walk to school every day, snowstorms allow me to stay home for a day or two. The closest school is one hour away, it would be inhuman to let me walk there during a snowstorm. A few years ago, I had to be home-schooled because it was one of the worst winters ever.

My principal already allowed me to take a day off today. My Mum called him earlier. Honestly, I love school and I hate having to stay at home. School is fun, even after all those years of studying nonsense. It’s the only place to meet my friends. In the middle of nowhere, we don’t have close neighbours.

I have to go to school today. I don’t want to miss out on anything. It’s the last year for me, I need to experience every moment! I’ll walk through the snowstorm even if it means that I’ll catch a cold!

Laugi
A snowstorm, the perfect reason for all students to stay at home if they have a long way to go. Well, not for me. I live almost right next to school. They always expect me to come. School’s the worst thing ever invented. Homework, teachers, other people, I hate everything.

I should go to school before this snowstorm gets worse, it’s already really bad. I can’t even see the school building right now. Whatever, I’ll survive the ten minutes of walking in a fridge.

Kalda
I’ve got no time for breakfast; I’ll just buy something at school. I can’t find my best winter jacket, so the normal one has to be sufficient. I’ll just run to school, so I won’t get cold. I say goodbye to my Mum while I’m already halfway out so she can’t stop me. The snowstorm’s worse than I thought, I almost can’t see anything, but I’ll find the way to school even if I close my eyes. I’ll just run.

Laugi
Only really dumb people would leave their houses today. Apparently, my mother wants to turn me into such a dumb person because she tries to talk me into leaving the house now. I know I’ve said that I should go before the snowstorm gets worse, but, honestly, I don’t want to. I’d rather meet up with friends at home or travel to a different country.

Alright, I guess I’ll have to leave now. After half an hour of arguing, I’m tired of trying to stay at home. My mother won’t let me cut classes even if I’m half dead.

Kalda
I underestimated the weather. I’m freezing and shivering. I’m outside for at least half an hour and I can’t feel my feet anymore. My palms are sweaty and cold although I’m wearing gloves. It was a bad idea to leave the house. No, it wasn’t just a bad idea, it was the worst idea. I hope my friends will appreciate the risks I’m willing to take just to see them. That’s if I ever reach the school.

Laugi
I’m wearing two jackets and a scarf and gloves and everything else you can wear in times like this, but I’m still cold. After five minutes of walking, I’m not so sure if I’m even on the right way. Snow covers everything, all the houses look the same and the little path I take every day to go to school is gone. After three more houses, there are no more houses. Wait, that’s the wrong way, there should be houses everywhere around school. Please tell me I’m not lost.

Kalda
I stopped shivering. That’s a good sign, isn’t it? In just a few minutes, I’ll be at school and it will be warm and cosy. Maybe I should just stop walking for a moment so I can breathe again. Wasn’t I running earlier? The snow is beautiful, white and…

Laugi
I’m lost. Well, not completely lost, because I still know how I came here so I just have to turn around and walk all the way back. But if I’m catching a cold out here now, maybe they’ll send me back home right away later. Something’s lying a few metres away from me. I’m not sure what it is, but I’m sure I want to check it out. Maybe it’s an animal. Wait, it looks more like a human. A girl, dumb enough to walk outside without a scarf or a proper jacket. She’s probably from one of the houses far away from school. Why is she here? She could have stayed at home during the snowstorm!

Alright, think! Breath? Yes, but weak. Pulse? Yes, but barely anything. Ambulance? No, they won’t reach us in time due to the snowstorm. Jacket? Yes, I’ve got two and I’ll probably survive without one of them. She doesn’t look as if she’ll wake up soon, so I’ll have to carry her back. But where did I come from? Now I am completely lost.

This is one of the situations that school doesn’t prepare us for. Well, they told us a bit a about what to do if someone’s unconscious. I could just walk in one direction and hope that it’ll lead me to a building. She’s from around here, she probably knows what to do in a situation like this. At school, they once told us that the kids from the countryside get basic training in kindergarten and that they get a handheld transceiver from the mayor once they start to go to school.

Handheld transceiver? Yes! She’s got a bag with her; she must have it with her! I’ve never used one, but it can’t be that difficult.

Kalda
I was unconscious for a few hours, said my Mum. I’m at the hospital, trying to regain the feeling in my feet. Sitting next to her, Laugi. He got lost while finding me. He still looks lost, but that’s probably just his normal facial expression. I’ve seen him at school once or twice, but I know nothing about him. Call me silly, but I want to get to know him. After all, he saved my life while risking his own.

I won’t be going to school the next few days. Honestly, I don’t really care.

Laugi
Kalda looks better know that she’s not close to dying. She’s one year younger than me, but I’ve seen her a lot in school. Her mother asked me why I decided to risk my life to save her, but the truth is that I didn’t decide to save her. I just did. There was no other choice. She’s quite impressive, which I realized now because we can talk. It will be fun to joke about her turning into a sculpture of ice in the future. Yes, I plan on talking to her in the future. Any problems with that? After all, I should get to know the girl I saved, shouldn’t I?

I won’t be going to school the next few days. Honestly, I don’t

5 Likes

pshh nah, don’t think about that, do it cause you love it and don’t think about what others might think about it.

2 Likes
I totally didn’t just write this

Arvia battled against the rising winds, her hair whipped her face and it got battered around by the wind. Snow and hail fell in time with one another, leaving an angry red mark on arvia’s face that soon faded a moment or two later, but was replaced with another twice as fast.

Arvia could hear her friends around her - they couldn’t have been more than three metres away from her yet completely out of sight. She repeatedly screamed to them, but no reply came. If there was a reply, it was inaudible to the human ear. She. Was. Alone.

Lucy meanwhile has heard the scream, her wolf ears easily detecting the sound. But that also meant that the noise of the sea around the island, and the sounds of the wind and hail was just as amplified, giving her a pounding headache.

Lucy could sense Jace close by them, too. It wasn’t long before she realised that the group were approaching the cliffs. They could only run so far on this tiny island - it was the sea or the monster. Lucy soon glimpsed the sea in the corner of her eye, and realised that both Arvia and Jace were about to fall over the edge. She screamed, and chose who to save…

Jace couldn’t see anything, his tracks were covered immediately behind him as the blizzard raged around them, the hailstones leaving his face feeling like someone had massages it with a cheese grater.

The smell of salt was emminant - the smell of the sea -however it was not accompanied by the usual sounds of gulls swooping in the sky, of puffins nesting in their homes along the cliffs. No, instead there was the sound of a wailing storm around them, and a dark shadow behind him that grew bigger with every moment.

4 Likes
The Stranger

The cold gives me warmth, Ophelia thought to herself as it snowed heavily. I’m the queen of this realm. What is it that keeps me so unhappy?

Was it the prophecy that an old sorceress gave her? “Upon the day the world turns to summer, the stranger shall usher forth the restoration of balance.” “No, it can’t be,” she said to herself. She made sure that she got rid of all of her enemies. The Crimson Insurgency was gone. She made extra sure that their leader, Trinity, was extinguished. Permanently. Who could possibly threaten the Ice Queen now?

Then, the ringing of the doorbell distracted Ophelia from her thoughts. She shivered, although it was perfectly warm in her castle. Who is it? What is it? she wondered as a guard went to open the door. Ophelia followed her and went into the throne room, sitting on her icy but golden throne, exhausted. She adjusted her position, trying to look as regal and intimidating as possible.

A woman entered, simply wearing all black. With dark skin, curly hair, and brown eyes, she was both majestic and breath-taking. Then Ophelia remembered the prophecy. Is she the stranger? she asked herself. She looks like… Ophelia gasped. This woman was Trinity’s daughter! The leader of the Crimson Insurgency had a heir?!

“I just came to visit,” the woman said. She seemed like such a kind person. How could she ever be a threat? “What’s your name?” Ophelia inquired. “Lucinda Winthrop,” the woman responded. “Lucinda Winthrop… where are you from?” the Ice Queen asked, curious about Lucinda. “Westhaven,” Lucinda replied. Ophelia nodded, seeming to understand. There was something about this woman that actually scared her. She’d never been scared of a mere mortal before. “I was curious,” Lucinda told the Queen, who was now quite upset and deciding what to do with her. Should she suffer the same fate as her mother? Or work as a slave for me? Ophelia wondered. Then it started to snow. It wasn’t a mellow type of snow, like the citizens had been experiencing daily. This was a brutal and forceful snowstorm.

“Your Majesty-” Lucinda said as she reached out to touch Ophelia’s hand, which burned at the heir’s touch. “DON’T TOUCH ME!” Ophelia shouted, backing away and moving from her throne. “Don’t… touch me, you… just leave!” “O-Ok…” Lucinda stuttered, turning to exit, but seeming to be concerned. “Go!” Ophelia screamed. Lucinda hurried out into the blizzard as Ophelia went to her room, shaken.

Lucinda looked up at the ice castle. What are you afraid of, Ophelia? An uprising? Or me taking your throne and fulfilling the prophecy? All these things will happen will happen in due time… just be patient and warm your mighty throne for now. Lucinda thought as she took one last look at the entire Palace. Finally, she left and went home.

This was a story that I scrapped for the AW contest. Might actually write this…

3 Likes

Apologies for the confusion but in fact there are 10 more days to enter your story… I need to learn to read probably :eyes::rofl:

4 Likes

@Jass you should correct this then, I would but I don’t know how you would put it.

3 Likes

I wanna join
@Jass, can we put an unfinished story?

2 Likes

Hmm, depends if it’s like a chapter of a story or something like that it’s okay but it shouldn’t just stop halfway through writing something if that makes sense, sorry btw for the late reply

2 Likes

little more than 5 days left, I hope to see some more entries!

2 Likes

Yes!
I’m doing this

2 Likes