Writing competition november 2019

What would a writing forum be without an official writing competition?

I hope y’all have maybe already noticed this was coming up through the calendar or the badge that was created and are as excited as we are for this competition me and @AlissaGrace will host together.

How will the monthly writing competition work?

Every 1st of the month Alissa or me will create a thread with a theme and/or genre for a story as well as other conditions for joining like a minimun lenght or other specifics. You have until the 25th of that month to write an new and unique story fitting the theme/genre. On the 25th the entered stories will be judged in 2 ways.

1. A community vote allowing everyone to vote on their 3 favorite entries.
  2. A judging panel containing staff members who will judge on multiple criteria like originality and use of language. Me and @AlissaGrace are fixed members of the panel and the other places are the last winner if they are interested and another rotating staff member.

In both categories contestants can win the same amount of points. The winner will be announced on the first together with the new theme/genre.

How can I join?

Simply post your story as plain text on the thread. You can also enter a wattpad or episode story, even tho I wish you good luck writing an episode story in 3 weeks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Anyway if you wish to do that just post the link, it’s as simple as that.

What are the prizes?

At this point the prizes are as following:

• Writer of the month badge
  • Guest judge for the December competition
  • The honor of coming up with the theme for December

This month’s theme is a snowstorm

Meaning your story should be about a snowstorm in some way, but besides that you are free to write whatever you want and there are no other restrictions.

We hope to see a lot of amazing and diverse entries to this competition. Good luck to anyone who is joining and feel free to ask questions about the competition here or through pm!

12 Likes

Sounds interesting :eyes::sparkles::+1: good luck to everyone :blush::eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

2 Likes

When is it due, @Jass?

25 of Nov

Awesome!

1 Like

Oh how did you know?

1 Like

It’s in the post :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh thx

1 Like

Np!

Is this only for stories or can we also write poetry?
And how many entries per person?

1 Like

It’s only for stories, but we can’t stop you from incorporating poetry into your story! Jass and I didn’t discuss how many entries a user can submit but I think we can both agree that if you’re able to write more then one story, then you totally could!

1 Like

Great, thanks!

1 Like

Is there a minimum length?

2 Likes

I’ll put the deadline on the Calendar

1 Like

Am I allowed to join because I’m not a judge this month?

1 Like

Yes, it was agreed that staff can take part in the months they aren’t judging

1 Like

:partying_face: that makes me happy.

3 Likes

Sorry for the late reply but this month there isn’t any length requirement so you can write as much or as little as you want!

3 Likes

I’m considering writing a one sentence story now… :eyes::sparkles::joy:

2 Likes

Here’s my first entry (it’s a bit longer than expected) :sweat_smile:

The best day of my life

This was supposed to be the best day of my life. Everyone put in so much effort (and money) to make this wedding perfect. My wedding. Now I’m sitting here, staring out of the window. The chauffeur told me that he can’t drive because of the snowstorm. It’s awful. The wedding venue is only five minutes away, but, apparently, it’s too dangerous to drive.

My bridesmaids have already left half an hour ago because I wanted to have some time for myself. Just a few minutes later, it started snowing and it hasn’t stopped yet. I’ve called my Mum to tell her I’ll be late and she informed my future-husband. Of course, he wasn’t happy, but at least we have more time to get ready.

My fiancé and I, we met in high school. Having the same plans for the future brought us together. After graduation, we chose the same college and made our relationship official. For my 25th birthday, he gave me an engagement ring. He didn’t go down on one knee, because he was wearing a suit and didn’t want to get dirt on it. Fully understandable. After one and a half years of being engaged, we decided to get married.

He’s the right one for me, because he made me plan my future. Without him, I’d be lost. He taught me that I have to have a plan in my life so I know what I’m supposed to do. We’re planning on having one child in the next 12 months. He wants just one son, we planned to only have one child. If everything goes by plan, we’ll be a happy little family this time next year.

His parents payed for most of this enormous festivity. My dress costs a fortune and it was designed by someone famous! I’d prefer a more comfortable dress than this one made for skinny supermodels, but I got told that I have to look perfect for the guests. I even went to the gym five times a week to fit into this dress!

Now there are over 300 guests waiting for me at the church and I’m still in my room. The wedding should have started half an hour ago, I think. The snowstorm won’t stop. My mother-in-law will be furious when she sees that I’ve got wrinkles in my dress because I was sitting. “What will the guests think?!” Honestly, I don’t really care what they think, because I don’t even know most of them.

I wanted a small wedding, nothing extraordinary. A little celebration with our friends and family. My fiancé told me that we have to invite more people because a wedding is important for our social rank. He said some of his father’s business partners will be there as well, so I have to behave properly. We even practiced my walk down the aisle a few times. I had to learn how to smile correctly.

That’s such a weird thought. “Learn how to smile correctly.” I smiled a lot when I was little, but according to my future-husband I’ve done it wrong all the time. However, he still loves me. And I love him, I guess. I’ve never been with someone else. I guess I got used to having him around telling me how to show emotions correctly.

The falling snow outside makes me tired. That’s why I have to look twice to realize that my fiancé’s calling me. “I’m so sorry, I’ll be there soon.” I assure him. He’s not happy. He’s shouting as if this snowstorm’s my fault. He always does this, blaming me for everything that goes wrong. I don’t know why.

When I met him at high school, I was spontaneous and full of dreams. Back then, I already dreamed about my wedding, but it looked different than it does now. My boyfriend taught me that dreams are worth nothing. Dreams are childish, so I got rid of them. I dreamed of becoming a musician, but then I planned to become a doctor. His parents are proud of me now, at least most of the time.

I’ve got a twin brother, but I don’t even know if he’ll stay during the whole wedding. My fiancé doesn’t like him, because he’s a dreamer. My brother doesn’t like my fiancé either. We used to be best friends, my brother and me against the rest of the world, but now I barely talk to him because he’s not part of my plan for my future. Should he be part of it? My fiancé says no, because my brother’s a bad influence.

Instead of blaming me for the delay, he should come over to get me. Then he’d realize that driving is too dangerous in this snowstorm. But he prefers to wait at the church while I’m here thinking about everything that I love about him.

I should be able to make a list of a few loveable things now, shouldn’t I? Well, he’s friendly and a gentleman. That’s all I can think of right now, but that means nothing, does it? Honestly, I don’t even remember why I fell in love with him. Maybe because he was there and nobody else wanted me? Does it matter? My thoughts are chaotic. He hates that, but I kind of like it.

Sometimes I want to just sit down and talk, but we never do that. He doesn’t like it. He’s always busy and everything needs to be planned and business-related. It’s annoying. We’ve never watched a movie together or just looked at the stars. He says it’s a waste of time. Apparently, everything I like is a waste of time.

Dreams, I had a lot of them, but he took them away from me. If I close my eyes now and try to dream about my future, I see myself, two children, a guitar on my lap, a real smile on my face. He’s not with us, but another man is. I don’t know him yet, but I want to get to know him.

Why am I about to marry a guy that I don’t see in my dreams about my future? Because he’s part of my plan and I’m part of his family’s plan. Because this guy forbids me to dream. He banned everything that made me really happy, although he should be the one to make me happy. He doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. I know what his parents want, but I don’t know if he even cares about me. Am I just another business partner to his father?

Just now I realize that I’ve got my engagement ring in my hand instead of on my finger. I stand up, leaving the ring on my chair. I look at the mirror. There’s a bride-to-be looking back at me, but she looks tired, exhausted. I take my veil off and put it aside. I open the zipper of my dress and take a deep breath. The dress slides down till it’s just a pile of fabric on the floor. I change into my sweatpants and my shirt. Another look into the mirror makes me realize: I wasn’t able to breathe since my graduation.

I take my phone, seeing that someone’s calling me. I ignore it and wait till I can call my twin brother. “Can you come over, please?” “I’m already halfway there, I felt that something was off.” The magical bond between twins, I’ve never believed in it, but I’m glad he knows me so well. I smile, not a correct smile, but a real smile. Although we barely speak to each other nowadays, my brother is willing to run through a snowstorm for me.

I look out of the window and instead of a snowstorm I see a winter-wonderland. It’s beautiful. Then I see my brother on the street, I run downstairs to the front door. As he sees me, he smiles. I hug him, then I push him into the snow. We laugh. I’ll probably catch a cold because I’m not even wearing a jacket. But who cares? We’re just two dreamers staring at the sky. We’ll be fine.

“My girlfriend’s pregnant, you’ll be an aunt in less than 9 months.” he says. I smile. This is one of the days that you expect to go differently, but they still turn out to be perfect. This is the best day of my life. Until now. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Only the dreamers know.
The snowstorm is over and so is the wedding.

5 Likes