Your parents' taste in music

Sometimes parents and their kids have a really different taste in music.

What kind of music do your parents listen to?
Do you like that kind of music?
Do your parents like your favorite music?

My Mum mostly listens to the music that’s on the radio and I like that as well :smile: But she doesn’t like my favorite artists and thinks I shouldn’t listen to them. My Dad had a very similar taste in music as I have.

6 Likes

Literally the same music that I listen to, except for pop. :joy:

1 Like

My parents honestly don’t listen to music at all, when they do it’s mainly some older pop songs if that makes sense :joy:

1 Like

My mom has quite a similar taste to mine, except that she likes all these Christian gospel songs that really annoy me
And she doesn’t like hip hop
But the rest is quite similar

1 Like

My Dad is into prog rock, like Gentle Giant and stuff like that. I grew up listening to it since he kinda takes over the CD players and plays it in the car too. He also likes some metal like deep purple, motorhead and a bit of tool. But he isn’t a giant metal fan. He also likes stuff like, the who, led zepplin, Jethro Tull and plenty of others. He also is a huge fan of Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart. I like some of these but not all of them since some prog rock gives me a head ache.

My Mum is more open in general but she doesn’t like the prog my Dad likes. She loves David Bowie but she like to try and claim I’m not allowed to since I wasn’t alive in the 70’s so even though I have a really nice David Bowie shirt I can’t talk to my Mum about it and share the interest :joy:. She is also a fan of Muse and The Smiths. Along with some Radiohead which my Dad likes too.

Some but not all! I do like The Smiths and David Bowie as well as muse and Led Zepplin. I even like Frank Zappa but I don’t particularly like Gentle Giant.

Uh not really, my Dad really made fun of me when he found out what music I was into but my Mum has said that she quite likes MCR as I have been playing bass to some of their songs. Tbh I don’t expect them to like it since they have never really heard it. I play it out loud when they are out of the house though. My Mum told my Dad to stop making fun of me though because she reminded him that quite alot of people don’t like prog but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

1 Like

Christian Gospel Music and afrobeat :joy:

2 Likes

My mom loves 80’s music. She also likes some of the 90’s music too. She’s old school :joy:

I like old school music too, and it’s probably because of her always playing that music out loud that it kind of got stuck in my head.

2 Likes

Really old Hebrew music, help

4 Likes

The music we agree on is either The Beatles or The Beach Boys. My mom hates when my brother tries to put on current pop songs haha

1 Like

My mom is VERY proggresive towards music tbh :rofl:, she loves modern music more than ever. Like her MP3 was full of 2000s songs with little 90s songs, and right now she has more 2010s songs more than 2000s; with like 1-3 songs in the 90s. She likes upbeat, R&B and pop music, like Chanismokers, Pussycat Dolls, Backstreet Boys, Jason Derulo, Neyo, and even Justin Beiber :joy:. But she occasionaly listens to Christian music, like pop ones. She has some occasional older songs like the Carpenters and other 50s-70s songs (but that’s somewhat to accomodate my grandma’s taste) :sweat_smile:

My father was more into those chill music that you could play into a guitar, Like Iris- Goo Goo Dolls. He likes way older music, like 70s to 80s music; Lady in Red and Carpenters’ music (which I think my mother was somewhat influenced). He like OPM (Original Philippine Music) and would jam it out. But he is also a lover of 90s music, since he had many to jam on. Just anything that he could jam on a guitar and can swoon a lady, he’s in :joy:

I mean, yes! I do find myself getting nostalgic to my past and wanting to listen to 90s-2000s songs more often. Ever since I was a child, when she does her business,she would always listen to upbeat music to keep her awake. So there are some music, even today, where I took an interest in some of her music choices when she drives. I was also influenced by father with those calm and band music, since they were catchy when I heard those in my father’s jam sessions and car trips.

coughs Now that’s the part where I have to say no :sweat_smile:
Sure, I have some songs where she would like, but honestly, I have so many “girly” songs that it’s better to have headphones when she’s around. Like one time, I listened to Beyonce, and her face was worried :joy: Like she has a few songs by her, like Brown Eyes, but she took to say that her music was too accomodating to gays and girls… so no, she’d be petrified that I have a playlist full of girl groups and divas. But I do have some playlist to assert this manliness, to at least pacify my mom. My dad, idk :joy: He’s fine with it, he likes and is open to music tastes more.

2 Likes

Somali music.

1 Like

My dad was always into punk and rock and still listens to Red Hot Chilly Peppers, The Smiths and The Beatles. It’s funny to me because now I love that kind of music and I’ve never paid attention to what he listens to so it’s not like he had any impact on me.

1 Like

My dad listens to a lot of jazz, and I do enjoy that genre.
My mom… listens to anything that sounds good. Mostly ballads and African music.

Also, no my parents don’t listen to the music I tend to listen to. I don’t think they care much.

1 Like

My parents like anything from their generation, except fo that alternative bubble sound
And they hate rap music, not from their generation but when it’s new stuff they’d call it an ABOMINATION
Cos dirty lyrics NOW :eyes: are just sum else

My mom doesn’t like sappy music
And my dad willlisten to anything about the lord

Idk how to describe my music taste but ik it’s gr9
My parents hate my taste in music tho

2 Likes

My mom loves Greek music from the 50s and 60s and Christian worship songs.
She also likes a lot of music from the 60s and 70s, like The Beatles, The Bee Gees, The Temptations, The Dramatics, and others.
There was a time when we used to play Top 40 pop hits in the car, and she got into that, as well… basically, she likes anything that has a good beat but without very explicit lyrics.

She does not like “old people music” like really slow songs.
My dad was into music from the 50s-70s, but he also listened to mainstream 90s music during the 90s.

I like almost everything that my mom likes… I think she has pretty good taste in music.

I don’t usually play my music around my mom, just in case she doesn’t get into it because if she makes a negative comment about a song, it kind of ruins it for me. But a few months ago, she asked me to play Sunflower for her since I kept on talking about it, and although at first she wasn’t really into it, now she likes it a lot.

2 Likes

Even though my mum is reasonably young for this music, as she was born in the 70s, her favourite artist is one that should be more my grandma’s time. She is a huge fan of Cliff Richard. To the point where she’s been to his concerts multiple times and even interviewed him once over the phone. HAHA. Though, in saying that, she also love Eminem and went to one of his concerts too. HAHAHA

1 Like

In all honesty I dislike the judgement some parents including mine hold over the things their kids are interested in. Like as long as it doesn’t do any harm and it makes them happy or at least feel the way they want to, what is the problem? :joy:

Music taste is so personal there is no right or wrong.

3 Likes

Songs from the 80s and Eminem

1 Like

My mother - 80s and 90s pop, a few TikTok songs :joy:
My dad - classical, rock, country

I like a few from both 80s and 90’s, I love rock and country

My dad likes most of my fave music except for artists like Melanie Martinez which succcssss
My mother doesn’t really like any of my music :((

1 Like

My dad got me into music, so I like a lot of the stuff he likes.

2 Likes