Any vegans here? Also this is a cook book thread (non vegan recipes are welcomed!)

Hey people I was thinking, we need some sort of cook book thread, why? Cause why the hell not. Food is great, it’s something most of us all agree with. So why not share some of our favorite foods and how to make them?

I’m vegan but that doesn’t mean this thread is only for vegan recipes, it’s for any recipes, whether your a vegan, vegetarian, meat eater, cannibal, it doesn’t matter! You can come here to express your love of food, cooking, baking, and why not share a few recipes? I might even make some (using vegan alternatives)

I don’t tell a lot of people cause I don’t think people find it interesting, but I love cooking and baking! When I tell my friends that, they remind me of the time I set french toast sticks on fire in a small oven toaster thing (this was before I went vegan)

This thread can also be a question thread about what people with certain diets eat or how they live there day to day life, like if anyone has questions about vegan stuff, I can easily answer them! I have been vegan for almost 3 months (I know it doesn’t seem like a long time but you have to do a good amount of research before going vegan).

The recipe I’ll start with is one I use almost everyday for breakfast!
For breakfast I make a vegan smoothie!
I start with a half a cup of water

Not important but relevant

Cause I like thick smoothies but you can add more if it’s too thick for your liking

2 cups of frozen fruit
half a frozen banana
some lemon juice (optional)
It will make the smoothie a little bit bitter
1 tbsp of flax seed
1 tbsp of vegan protein powder
and a bunch of spring mix greens (2+ cups of it)
And I use a lot of peanut butter but that’s of course optional, to everyone with peanut allergies, I get you, I used to be allergic.

6 Likes

Uh

1 Like

Lmao that’s my humor

1 Like

Hey. I’m actually vegan too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Something I found that is pretty good is a steak replica dish that uses tofu (preferably extra firm) pico di gallo, and avocado.

1. Dry out the tofu by microwaving it for 2 minutes.
  2. Marinate the tofu for about 20 minutes using soy sauce. (I use the little packets you get from restaurants)
  3. Grill the tofu for about 10 minutes.
  4. Put the pico do gallo and avocado on. I prefer to do so in generous amounts.
1 Like

Ooo that sounds sooo good!

1 Like

I eat pretty much anything, to be honest (except onions. Onions and I have a hate-hate relationship.), but I do actually have a vegan recipe I cook on a regular basis because it’s really cheap and easy. The Indian side of my family are veggies, and their curries don’t include any dairy or other animal-based products. They add the yoghurt on top afterwards. I just need to remember the names of the spices in English.

Vegan Gujarati Chickpea Curry - The Quick Version

Ingredients

• 1 tin of tomatoes
  • 3 tins of chickpeas
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon of turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
  • 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil

Instructions

1. Blend up the tinned tomatoes until they’re soupy. If you like a little more texture to your curries, leave a few chunks un-blended.
  2. Take the chickpeas out of the tin and wash them. You don’t want the salt all over them! If you bought dried chickpeas instead of tinned, make sure you soak them in water for at least 2 hours beforehand.
  3. Put the pan on medium heat and put in the 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil.
  4. Add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. Allow this to heat up until you hear popping from the seeds. Make sure you keep moving them around in the pot, though. You don’t want to toast them too much. If it’s not popping, just leave on the heat until the oil is hot.
  5. Add in your chopped tomatoes then fill up the tin to the top with water and throw it in there too.
  6. Add in your other spices and mix.
  7. Add your chickpeas and add enough water so that there’s about 2cm (just under an inch) of “soup” covering all the chickpeas.
  8. Allow to cook for 10 mins then taste the soup. Add more spices if you think anything’s missing.
  9. Serve with rice!
5 Likes

I don’t like onions either!

2 Likes

Twins! :wink: They’re so gross!

1 Like

Omg that sounds so good! When I was reading all I saw was the word chickpea and fell in love (chickpeas, hummus, and some other stuff are usually in every vegans kitchen :joy:) I noticed that Indian food is usually vegan, is there any reason why?

1 Like

Ugh, onions can go back to hell never trust anything that has multiple layers of the same horrible flavor.

1 Like

We have a caste system in India and in the highest Hindu castes, you’re not supposed to eat meat or eggs! Other castes eat meat, but they don’t eat beef because Krishna loved cows. That and most milk in my part of India is buffalo. It’s so sour!

2 Likes

Oh that’s so interesting!

1 Like

If you don’t have any sunflower oil, any flavourless oil will do! Just don’t use olive oil :confounded:

1 Like

Ooo okay! Sunflower oil is another common oil besides olive oil and coconut oil (coconut oil is not as bad as you would expect)

1 Like

Bump

Moved to our new Food Category! :grinning::v:t3::partying_face:

2 Likes

FINALLY I HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR A FOOD CATEGORY

2 Likes

Yay! Yeah the forum staff basically went ahead and made a bunch of these food threads so that Shannii would be forced- want :sweat_smile:, to make a food category.

4 Likes

lmaooooooo I love that

2 Likes

I’m a vegetarian but try to eat vegan when I can resist cheese/butter (I now live in :fr: so those are non-negotiable sometimes).

I love thug kitchen recipes, especially this cauliflower “wings” type recipe with sriracha sauce. I honestly don’t even make the dipping sauce and just eat them spicy, but would recommend if you think straight up sriracha will burn your mouth.

Ingredients

1. 1-2 medium heads cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
  2. 1/2 c flour
  3. 1/2 c water
  4. Hot Sauce
  5. 2 tsp vegetable oil
  6. 1/2 c Sriracha or similar style hot sauce
  7. 1/4 c rice vinegar
  8. 1/2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
  9. Peanut Dipping Sauce
  10. 1/4 c warm water
  11. 1/4 c plus 2 Tbls smooth peanut butter
  12. 2 Tbls rice vinegar
  13. 2 Tbls lime juice
  14. 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
  15. 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
  16. 1 tsp maple syrup or agave syrup
  17. 1 cucumber, cut into finger-long sticks, optional for serving

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet or line with Silpat mat.
  3. Chop your cauliflower into florets no bigger than your thumb.
  4. Whisk together the flour and water until smooth batter forms.
  5. Toss the cauliflower into the batter until all the pieces are coated.
  6. Spread cauliflower on baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Mix them around halfway through roasting so that they get lightly browned on all sides.

To make the hot sauce

1. In a small saucepan, mix the oil, Sriracha, vinegar and soy sauce. Heat over low heat until the sauce is warm, not bubbling. Turn off heat and set aside.

To make the peanut dipping sauce

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the water and peanut butter until smooth. Add the other ingredients and continue stirring until everything is incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  2. After 15 minutes in the oven, dump the cauliflower back into the big bowl and toss it with the hot sauce mixture from the stovetop. Make sure that all pieces are coated.
  3. Return cauliflower to baking sheet, leaving any extra sauce in the bowl, and roast for another 3 minutes* so that everything is warm and delicious.
  4. Serve hot or at room temperature with the cucumber sticks and peanut dipping sauce.

More recipes here: https://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes/cola-braised-jackfruit

2 Likes